It's up to you, Mr. President

http://www.autoextremist.com/

December 12, 2008

It’s up to you Mr. President.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

Detroit. The U.S. Senate late last night voted against passage of a bill to give an emergency bridge loan to the Detroit automakers – specifically GM and Chrysler - paving the way for the eventual collapse of the domestic automobile industry and sending this country’s already teetering financial situation to the brink of disaster.

The inaction - a blatantly malicious display of placing political self-interests before the best interests of the nation – was orchestrated by Senators Richard Shelby (R-AL) and Mitch McConnell (R-KY), two men who are pushing “the Southern Corridor” – a network of transplant manufacturing facilities operated by some import car companies – as the new American auto industry, even though it means destroying the foundation of America’s manufacturing base and ruining the livelihoods of millions of people - including auto workers, dealers and suppliers - who depend on the domestic automobile industry for their livelihoods, not to mention their health care and pensions.

Besides sending a clear message to Detroit - yet again - that this industry doesn’t matter, the Senators behind the failure to get the bill passed reinforced the notion that too much of the rest of the country, for the most part, refuses to understand the ramifications of what a collapse of the domestic automobile industry really means, and that the attitude of “it won’t affect me” and “whatever” are the new dual mantras of the American people.

That we have become a Starbucks Nation of consumer zombies who have lost sight of the fact that this country’s ability to manufacture things is more important to the future of our country than the convenience of another coffee shop is appalling enough, but the fact that this country has become a patchwork quilt of warring factions hell-bent on destroying each other no matter what the cost to our fellow citizens is beyond reprehensible.

Over the last three weeks I’ve watched as those miserable excuses for our “representatives” in Washington have spewed so much misinformation and flat-out lies aimed at Detroit and the domestic automobile industry that I’ve lost track in trying to tally all of it up, but suffice to say at this juncture it really doesn’t matter.

What happened in Washington last night was one of the most egregious displays of selfish, narrow-minded thinking in the history of our nation. Facts were either misrepresented or ignored altogether and dire warnings were scoffed at, while our nation is in its most precarious financial state in seven decades.

The bottom line is that hard-working people involved in an industry that has tentacles in every state and accounts for 1 out of every 10 American jobs are being punished today because of two self-righteous Senators who think their view of things should be the country’s view.

That an industry that supported the American middle class for 100 years, that forged the Arsenal of Democracy during WWII, that has responded to every disaster and national crisis by giving endlessly of time, money, vehicles and resources, that an industry that makes up the majority of our nation’s manufacturing and research & development prowess – to the tune of $12 billion annually - has become expendable.

The anti-car, anti-Detroit cabal alive in Washington and in certain corners of the media has seized the opportunity to bury Detroit and the domestic automobile industry once and for all, and in so doing have set into motion the final erosion of the American industrial fabric, sending a message to the world that this nation has not only lost its will to fight and is incapable of protecting one of its essential industries, it has willingly set a course for long-term weakness and vulnerability.

Mr. President, countless American families are calling on you to keep this essential American industry going. We hope you see it to do the right thing.

Thanks for listening.

To anyone on the other side of this issue, read this paragraph over and over until it sinks in.

"The anti-car, anti-Detroit cabal alive in Washington and in certain corners of the media has seized the opportunity to bury Detroit and the domestic automobile industry once and for all, and in so doing have set into motion the final erosion of the American industrial fabric, sending a message to the world that this nation has not only lost its will to fight and is incapable of protecting one of its essential industries, it has willingly set a course for long-term weakness and vulnerability."

I'm pretty used to things not going my way politically. Generally when the dust clears there is some small crumb of compromise that I can take solace in. The auto industry bridge loan situation has me worn out. When at first the administration decided to not transfer funds from TARP, I was disappointed. All was not loss, however. There was something to be said for making sure that Congress got it's say. Later the congressional leaders pretended there wasn't restructuring of the Detroit 3 already in progress. It didn't fit the facts, but it wasn't the end of the world to have Ford and GM come back with their homework assignments completed. As a matter of fact it offered some interesting insights into future detail. The do-again in front of congress gave the manufacturers a good chance to advertise their "green ware" too. This last exchange, however, seems so much more final and so much more cynical. It's not even a Democratic vs Republican thing or liberal vs conservative thing. It is one part of the country, the South East taking on the rest of the country. Although the South's victory was immediate and sweet for them, I think the future retribution will not be to their liking.

It just got way overly politicized - and that's really unfortunate (obvious).

Despite what a lot of people in this country believe, this is still a really important industry. If not for how many jobs it provides, then most certainly for how much pride we'd lose (or at least I'd lose) if it completely went under, knowing that the Govt. really could have saved it. I'm convinced, although admittedly I am not a certified public accountant nor have I really ever scrutinized a Fortune 500 company business plan, that based on the companies plans, and if a real, honest, concerted effort were made to get the UAW to bend a little more, that GM could get a loan if there wasn't a "credit crunch" going on.

Considering the current environment, these cocksuckers should have taken a more pragmatic approach to figuring out how to at least ensure that these companies were going to remain going concerns. But no...they had to completely use this to work their own political agendas into it. "Screw the workers, screw the entire standard of living for working class people ideal, screw it all".

I don't know...it's pretty sad when we can spend untold billions on the War in Iraq, give untold billions of dollars to the very banks that helped get us in this mess in the first place (without a solid plan), yet tell the industry that essentially gave us the middle class, mobility, etc, etc..to basically go and f@#k themselves? We're f@#ked.

Edited by gmcbob

It's not even a Democratic vs Republican thing or liberal vs conservative thing. It is one part of the country, the South East taking on the rest of the country. Although the South's victory was immediate and sweet for them, I think the future retribution will not be to their liking.

I'm thinking it is partially a Republican, conservative thing---the Red State Revenge for losing the election---where is the largest concentration of red states? The South (incl. Texas). As they like to say, 'The South Will Rise Again'. This is part of that, I believe.

Edited by moltar

I don't think this is about the 'south' rising again, or revenge... it's just pure idiocy, self-interest, selfishness, and a lack of connection with the average person.

Well that same thing can be said for almost every action they have taken in the last thirty or more years. "Lack of connection with the average person"?? They are so far out of touch with reality that I don't think they could grab their ass if they had to!! Much less understand what the average citizen feels about anything. And it makes no difference if you're talking about Republican, Democrat, or Independent lawmakers, they are all off in LaLa Land.

Clyde

I'm thinking it is partially a Republican, conservative thing---the Red State Revenge for losing the election---where is the largest concentration of red states? The South (incl. Texas). As they like to say, 'The South Will Rise Again'. This is part of that, I believe.

The GOP wants to gut the UAW to save Detroit and/or they want to protect their state's auto industry. The Dems if they want to save Detroit is to help the unions get more control over Detroit or just plain nationalize it and/or they want to let Detroit die and use it as an excuse to unionize the foreign automakers. We should just take our chances with CH 11 and tell Washington and the UAW to go f*** themselves.

Anyone who voted for a senator--or did not call their office to lobby as a concerned constituent--who voted against the bill has no one to blame but themselves, and their fellow voters who also voted them in.

Anyone who is surprised in the least that the vote went down the way it did also has not been paying attention at all recently.

No one I voted for voted against the measure.

Edited by Croc

Anyone who voted for a senator--or did not call their office to lobby as a concerned constituent--who voted against the bill has no one to blame but themselves, and their fellow voters who also voted them in.

Anyone who is surprised in the least that the vote went down the way it did also has not been paying attention at all recently.

No one I voted for voted against the measure.

+1.

It seemed to go down party lines pretty straight....my senator (Salazar D-CO) voted for it, the other senator (Allard R-CO) voted against it, as did both of the senators here (Kyl and McCain).

Not at all a condervative thing. There are red states where domestic vehicles rule the road and people don't want these companies to go under. No one wants to pull a stock trailer full of cattle with a damn rusty Toyota. It's all about politics and self interests and getting re elected because foreign companies make jobs in their state or sticking with your buddies on your side of the aisle...and surely not patriotism

Edited by biff

It just got way overly politicized - and that's really unfortunate (obvious).

Despite what a lot of people in this country believe, this is still a really important industry. If not for how many jobs it provides, then most certainly for how much pride we'd lose (or at least I'd lose) if it completely went under, knowing that the Govt. really could have saved it. I'm convinced, although admittedly I am not a certified public accountant nor have I really ever scrutinized a Fortune 500 company business plan, that based on the companies plans, and if a real, honest, concerted effort were made to get the UAW to bend a little more, that GM could get a loan if there wasn't a "credit crunch" going on.

Considering the current environment, these cocksuckers should have taken a more pragmatic approach to figuring out how to at least ensure that these companies were going to remain going concerns. But no...they had to completely use this to work their own political agendas into it. "Screw the workers, screw the entire standard of living for working class people ideal, screw it all".

I don't know...it's pretty sad when we can spend untold billions on the War in Iraq, give untold billions of dollars to the very banks that helped get us in this mess in the first place (without a solid plan), yet tell the industry that essentially gave us the middle class, mobility, etc, etc..to basically go and f@#k themselves? We're f@#ked.

You say that like it's a bad thing! :unsure:

I really, really, want to kick some senatorial ass right now.

:explode:

When I was canvassing for Obama during the election, one elderly gentleman suggested that we line everyone up in Washington and shoot them. For some strange reason I've come to appreciate the sentiment more each day.

Chris

You say that like it's a bad thing! :unsure:

It will be if the nutcases in this country take over and pursue their anti-gay agenda...

Seriously, I think that people ought to be out protesting in the streets given what's going on. Makes me wish I lived in the sixties...great cars and people cred enough to raise a little hell.

We need some good hell raisers in this country...where is Future of GM when you need him?

Chris

Not at all a condervative thing. There are red states where domestic vehicles rule the road and people don't want these companies to go under. No one wants to pull a stock trailer full of cattle with a damn rusty Toyota. It's all about politics and self interests and getting re elected because foreign companies make jobs in their state or sticking with your buddies on your side of the aisle...and surely not patriotism

I would agree. The problem to me is that we need to differentiate between conservative and Republican. I think there are a lot of good, conservative people who want to see the domestics survive. To me it is obvoius the Republican party is out of touch...but the Democratic party is just as out of touch if not more so.

It's hard to think of two people less alike than Rush Limbaugh and Ralph Nader...but both of them have spoken out against how Republicans and Democrats have become too much alike and too little oriented towards the working classes that built this country.

While I don't particularly like either Limbaugh or Nader, Methinks they are right. We need a healthy national debate based on whats best for the country, and not based on personality.

Our democracy is in a shameful place...we need real reform now, and we need it in both parties.

On the plus side if Japan, INC. takes over the US, I do like Sushi, noodles, and asian ladies with long, beautiful black hair...so it isn't all a loss.

Chris

On the plus side if Japan, INC. takes over the US, I do like Sushi, noodles, and asian ladies with long, beautiful black hair...so it isn't all a loss.

Chris

I like all of those, and love Japanese home electronics...Sony, Yamaha, Panasonic, Toshiba. But I still can't get excited about most Japanese cars.

I agree 'Stang. Both parties are so busy looking out for their self interests, they're almost the same and just as corrupt. There are some good arguments on both sides, but then there are the completely uninformed, ignorant comments like the 'other' US industry building cars people want. It's frustrating.

If they take over maybe toyota will start advertising their dull cars with asian ladies.

I like all of those, and love Japanese home electronics...Sony, Yamaha, Panasonic, Toshiba. But I still can't get excited about most Japanese cars.

The Japanese cars I really have liked I can count on my fingers-

1. Mazda Rotary cars

2. Miata

3. 240Z

The Prelude was a good drivers car (my sister owned one, and I got to experience what it could do on curvy North Carolina backroads) for a FWD.

The Honda people are really friendly, and show up at Mid Ohio and the local autocrosses, etc.

But I am not much of a Japanese car fanboi.

Sixty-Six

I agree 'Stang. Both parties are so busy looking out for their self interests, they're almost the same and just as corrupt. There are some good arguments on both sides, but then there are the completely uninformed, ignorant comments like the 'other' US industry building cars people want. It's frustrating.

If they take over maybe toyota will start advertising their dull cars with asian ladies.

Asian Ladies over 50, so they can appeal to the Camry buying demographic perhaps.

Chris

The Japanese cars I really have liked I can count on my fingers-

1. Mazda Rotary cars

2. Miata

3. 240Z

The Prelude was a good drivers car (my sister owned one, and I got to experience what it could do on curvy North Carolina backroads) for a FWD.

The Honda people are really friendly, and show up at Mid Ohio and the local autocrosses, etc.

But I am not much of a Japanese car fanboi.

Sixty-Six

I like those, plus I've long been an NSX fan...I've hung out with the Colorado NSX club for road trips, track days (my best friend has a '91)...they are a friendly, fun bunch, all ages.

An NSX, last generation Prelude, or previous-gen TL are probably the only Hondas I would seriously consider...

As far as new models, I like the design and handling of the G37 coupe, but don't really care for the interior. I'd rather have a BMW 3 series coupe for about the same price.