Do you shorten car names?

avro206

This is my rant for the month (or week, or day?)

Why do people take a name- say Cobalt and say 'Balt? No one else who did not own one would have a clue what your talking about. Are you just lazy or what? Or like hacking up car names for no real reason?

Stranger: hey nice car---what is it?

You: it's a 'Bu

Stranger: what? Never heard of it

You: I mean Malibu

Stranger: why didn't you say that?

You: I don't know?

Same for Malibu---'Bu??

Equinox---'Nox?

and Camaro---'Maro???

Drives me nuts--anyone else agree?

I don't see Camry owners saying--'mry or Cam?

Civic---'vic?

out side of Mustang--I can't think of any stupid short names from any other cars (non GM)

Just curious if anyone else hates this like me :)

This is my rant for the month (or week, or day?)

Why do people take a name- say Cobalt and say 'Balt? No one else who did not own one would have a clue what your talking about. Are you just lazy or what? Or like hacking up car names for no real reason?

Just curious if anyone else hates this like me :)

It is lame... I've heard the Escalade referred to as a 'Slade. Crown Victorias as 'Vics or Vickys.

Though amongst people that know me or other Jeep owners, I've been known to refer to my Jeep as a GC or JGC. Or my Mercedes as a Merc.

One woman Camry owner I know referred to her car as a 'Cammie'... go figure.

Edited by moltar

I think EVERYONE knows what a "Crown Vic" is...the ubiquitous cop car. Same with "Vette." Pretty much anything else though is just lame, and I will judge you for your lameness if you use non-standard nicknames for your car. Though I think I wouldn't give a second thought if someone said "little bitch" because I know 3 people who call their Cavalier that.

I used to hate when people thought I drove a Nissan when I said, "I have a Century".

It's not like I said, sentree, I pronounced it correctly.

I haven't heard many car names shortened when spoken, mostly when written. The most I've heard is Crown Vic, or Vette. Or I remember my friend who had a Skyhawk used to call it The Hawk.

In TXT messages and to be funny I'll call XP's "schoolbus" a 'Burban

and SP's old Malibu was a 'Bu.... However I do not recognize FWD

unibody Malibus as real Malibus, so they are NEITHER TO ME.

Corsica 2.0/3.0 or 4.0 J/K (mostly) :P

BTW: the last Monte Carlo was made in 1988 and had a frame, the

Lumina-Euro-Coupe 2.0 & 3.0 are just that.... The last Impala was

made in 1996.... that FWD thing MIGHT be worthy of the Biscayne

moniker at BEST.

In the BMW community we tend to refer to our cars by chassis codes, and then go by the actual "name" if needed to clarify details.

Speaking of "Bimmers"...

Bimmer is the car - pronounced like "dimmer"

Beamer is the motorcycle - pronounced like it is spelled, though the pronunciation is often incorrectly carried over to the former.

Shortenings I can handle,

Vette

Stang (to a degree)

Porsche (pronounced Porsh instead of Porsh-uh...unless the person claims that "porsh" is the correct nomenclature, in which case, the palm is swiftly applied to the forehead.)

Lambo

of course, now we are getting more into brand names which are generally more accepted...I can't say I can recall too many shortened model names...

In the BMW community we tend to refer to our cars by chassis codes, and then go by the actual "name" if needed to clarify details.

I did the same thing when I was in the BMW world...called my M3 an E36 when I was around fellow Bimmer fans. Likewise w/ the Mercs, W124 and W126 in the driveway...

I do it sometimes, I only do it to my Bonneville calling it "the Bonn". Other than that I use 'Bu, I know a Malibu owner who called his 2001 Malibu LS a 'Bu. I also call Cobalt's-'Balts. As for Cadillac's I call them Cads or say Caddy sometimes. Vette and Stang are commonly shortend. I know someone who drove a Chevette in the 80's and he called it his Vette, the guy was a moron. :rolleyes:

My Bonneville is a "Bonnie." :D

Let's see what I've heard of as far as shortened car model names (non-GM)...

Max(ima)

Bull (for Taurus)

Six (for Mercedes-Benz S600)

Nav(igator) (or Navi)

It's true though.... GM products do come with more nicknames. I can find one for most models.

I've heard Pon-Bon for Bonneville. Then there are the folks that have nicknames for their car relative to the color. My brother refers to his Mustangs that way---black pony, red Stang, silver stallion.. then there are folks that name their cars--people with a pickup named Rufus, or a Corolla named Patsy. That's a bit wierd, IMHO. My sister calls her Merc 500SEL the 'Big Dog' because that's what the big dogs (CEOs, etc) drove back in the Big 80s when it was built.

BTW: the last Monte Carlo was made in 1988 and had a frame, the

Lumina-Euro-Coupe 2.0 & 3.0 are just that....

*grins*

While I obviously agree with you here ... the last Monte Carlos were made in December 1987 ... as 1988 models ;). LOL!

As for shortening car names ... I usually say or type "MC" for "Monte Carlo". Most people know what I'm talking about ... usually ;).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It's a pudding made of figs ... and bacon" ... Gonzo to Miss Piggy/John Denver and Muppets ... 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas'

I always have.

And often give an individual car an appropriate name. (My '65 Oldsmobile F-85 for example, was known as the "Vile Bile" because it "puked" coolant all of the time)

I usually called my Firehawk " The Hawk" and had a Chevy truck called "Swamp Thing" because it had mud stuffed way up inside the fenders when I bought it...

I will say though, that I hate the term "Elky" when applied to an El Camino - it just rubs me the wrong way as does "Merc" for Mercedes ( I think of Mercury every time).