Official: Saturn is Dead, Pontiac is a Ghost

Simple...

1) GM is a global company and is structuring itself as such. The major growth in our lifetimes will come from China and India. The US is a mature market, and probably -- unfortunately (I hope I'm wrong) a shrinking market for GM. Buick has a global presence that saved it's ass. Pontiac does not AND Pontiac basically duplicates Chevrolet in the market unless it's a nice performance brand (which I hope GM fulfills it's promise of) So instead of 3 divisions fighting for the volume seller spot (Saturn, Chevrolet and Pontiac) GM has (naturally) given Chevy the nod, killed Saturn (because it's the easiest to kill) and reduced Pontiac to hopefully something very promising.

2) GM isn't worried about share anymore. If it can sell 2 Buicks for every 4 Pontiacs it sold and sell them at a better ROI (profit point; READ: not to fleet) then mission accomplished. The current Opels are too upscale to be passed off as Pontiacs (save for the Astra) without decontenting the hell out of them. If GM tried that, it would lose sales and lose it's ass profit-wise. GM previously believed that the Opels were too sporty to be Buicks. These factors made the Opel-Saturn marriage a perfect fit. But with the dire straights the company is in now, and Saturns failure to sell the cars (even though that was more the fault of GM as a whole) that makes Buick the new dancing partner. (which is a complete reversal of the 2005 plan) I'd say the performance of the Enclave raised a few eyebrows in the RenCen as well and saved Buick from death.

I just hope this plan works... Chevrolet and Cadillac (if it gets product) will both be fine and I think Buick has huge potential given certain aspects of the brands image. However, if GM f*cks the marketing up like they typically do, I don't see Buick lasting long. I also think that GM needs to give Pontiac a very focused line up that will begin to rebuild the image of the division AND I think that Saab should be retained and allowed to operate independently, concentrate on increasing it's global pressence and make america a high 2nd priority. (i.e. Sell well here, but grow big where you're strengths are)

That's ok then. I'll be happy buying somewhere else. I'll never buy a Buick, and now that Pontiac is going away, I'll never buy a GM. I bought one Chevy, and only because I couldn't afford the Pontiac I wanted at the time. Goodbye GM.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ok then. I'll be happy buying somewhere else. I'll never buy a Buick, and now that Pontiac is going away, I'll never buy a GM. I bought one Chevy, and only because I couldn't afford the Pontiac I wanted at the time. Goodbye GM.

Don't count Pontiac dead yet. After all if the market gets good again that could be good for Pontiac.

Don't count Pontiac dead yet. After all if the market gets good again that could be good for Pontiac.

You're being hopelessly optimistic my friend. GM will cut Pontiac's models down two or three at best, and I suspect will phase the brand out over time. The writing has been on the walls for a while now. With Lutz gone, there's no car-guy near the top who can push to keep Pontiac going anyway.

Pontiac will get one or two models, become even less relevant than it is now (I assume thats possible) and be dead by 2020. Saturn had a definition, a direction, GM just messed with it. Pontiac has been rebadging Chevrolets for 30 years.

EXCITEMENT!!!!!!! anyone?

2009-Pontiac-Wave-001.JPG

Edited by Satty

This is so much EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!! that your heart might explode!

96transportse.jpg

To be fair we had one of those vans and it was good to us...

This is how I see things looking after the restructure

CHEVY

-Spark/Aveo

-Cruze

-Malibu SWB Ep II

-Impala LWB Ep II

-Orlando

-Traverse

-Equinox

-Volt

-Silverado

-Colorado

-Suburban

-Camaro

-Express

PONTIAC

-G8

-Solstice

BUICK

-Astra

-Regal (Insignia)

-LaCrosse

-Enclave

-Possibly a TE Crossover

GMC

-Sierra

-Acadia

-Yukon (XL model Only)

-Savana

-Terrain

CADILLAC

-Converj

-BTS

-CTS

-DT7

-SRX

-Escalade

A vehicle so EXCITING, they couldn't even sell it in the United States!

2716843785_552b8712cd.jpg

Whoa!!! What is that?? Never seen of one of those...tt's a Canadian version of the Chevy Spectrum? I was familiar with the Firefly and Tempest, but not this...incredible!

We could probably start a "Pontiac is EXCITEMENT!!!!!!! thread, but then somone would ruin it by posting a Trans Am, which I would point out is nothing more than a Camaro with a bunch of plastic tacked on, which others would disagree with and it would quit being fun.

Those had better be lols of EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!, mister!

You betcha, man! I feel nothing but EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!! when I think about random people running around Chevy clay models with forks in their hands to design those EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!! ribbed cladding body panels!!!!

You betcha, man! I feel nothing but EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!! when I think about random people running around Chevy clay models with forks in their hands to design those EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!! ribbed cladding body panels!!!!

Mmmmm...ribbed for your pleasure and excitement.

My car has gray ribbed cladding on the lower body, but a giant trapazoidal grille and a 3 pointed star hood ornament. 4800lbs, 121 inch wheelbase, 177k miles of gas guzzling V8 Teutonic commuter car...

Why doesn't the passenger get to have their groinal area ventilated? That's like, the polar opposite of EXCITEMENT.

That is cause the woman does not like them, Only men drive EXCITEMENT!!!