Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

who hear works out and how much

Hi guys,

I've been working tons of overtime latley and have been barely making it to the gym because I'm tired and not motivated enough to want to go. I've still been making it 4 times a week though I'd prefer 5 at about 1:15 a clip (50 minutes lifting 20 or so for cardio) Who here works out regulalry and do you have problems fitting it in your daily routine.

I try to get to the gym 6 times a week, weight lifting 4-5 times a week and cardio 6 days (Saturday off from both). Typically spend around 45 minutes doing weights, 30-45 minutes of cardio, and about 30 minutes bs'ing with people. The best time for me to work out is in the afternoon, right after I get done with classes and lunch otherwise it just gets too busy. Of course working at Gold's Gym makes it easier to get motivated to work out.

I used to work out on the job.

While picking parts in the warehouse.

I think that this was equivalent to conditioning but it left me, after 7 years and some, in what I considered the best shape of my life at the age of 47.

My 'secret': Leaf spring assemblies and graduating to axle housings.

I could routinely sling-around the entire side of an 8 foot-long GMC or Chevy pickup truck bed (in a heavy cardboard box) that could weigh over 100 lbs. They were bulky. Within reason, I could do this for 8, 9 or 10 hours per day.

We had some female pickers at one time but the strain of the job eventually weeded them out.

Another good workout was gathering quantities of truck drum brake housings and larger disc brake rotors.

Like a rock... :mind-blowing:

My gym is in my house, so I can work out every day. Distractions are limited, and you never have to worry about some slob not wiping up his sweat from the seats. :P

My schedule is generally three days of targeted, heavy lifting, followed by a slow day, usually consisting of just crunches and some light cardio. I have a relatively consistent schedule, so fitting in workouts isn't too hard.

I love my 24hr fitness as I usually am in the gym daily at 4am, 15 min of cardio followed by 1 1/2 to 2hrs of weights and then 15min of cardio and 15 min in the jacuzzi to help with recovery and then off to work I go.

The only time I do not make it into the gym is if I am really sick, rarely, I think because of working out and on the weekends when I spend sat and sun up on the slops skiing.

Working out is a requirement for me as it keeps me healthy, in shape and living life. :)

Capt. Booyah, you looked pretty built in your pic in the pic thread, what is your split like for the three heavy days? I'm slowly but surly recovering lost size and strength from my last rugby season where I started every game and got the crap kicked out of me.

My split is Day1 chest, day2 arms (bi/tri forearm), day 3 back/legs (want to break this up if I get back to 5 days a week) and day 4 shoudlers/traps

Capt. Booyah, you looked pretty built in your pic in the pic thread, what is your split like for the three heavy days? I'm slowly but surly recovering lost size and strength from my last rugby season where I started every game and got the crap kicked out of me.

My split is Day1 chest, day2 arms (bi/tri forearm), day 3 back/legs (want to break this up if I get back to 5 days a week) and day 4 shoudlers/traps

You have a good grasp on getting back into a full week work out. The key is balance and spreading out working the muscles each day, upper body, then lower body, then upper arms, lower back, stomach, etc. by spreading the working over 7 days you can get better focus on select muscle groups and end up being very fit.

Good luck with your work out.

Mine is pretty close to yours actually. Day 1 is arms/back, Day 2 is chest/shoulders, Day 3 is leg/butt.

I always mix some cardio in too. I used to work graveyards, and do this workout too, and realized that the lack of cardio was holding me back some.

Intrigued, it takes about a year or so before it becomes enough of a habit that you actually feel 'guilty' if you don't go to the gym. I went religiously for the past 9 years or so, but as OCN tactlessly pointed out on another thread, I haven't been going for the past couple months - and it is beginning to show. Try going every 2nd day. That worked well for me before.

There is no way in hell I could manage jogging around here because of the heat, unless it was 2 a.m, and then I'd probably get mugged. There is a rooftop pool here, but two strokes and I'm across it, so it is useless for exercise.

I've gotta find something to do, though: Mother Nature is a cruel bitch. After 30, she has no use for us at all and everything starts to sag and fall apart. It's work, work, work after that.

Carbiz,

I know what you mean, I was in incredible shape after 4 years of highschool track and 3 of football along with 2 years of college D1 crew and a year and a half of rugby. I worked out 6 days a week somedays twice! I stopped cold turkey a year I took off for a paid internship. ate like $h!, drank to much. For the first six months I didnt put on much weight. The by month ten though it was a different story. I started out in the best shape of my life, 5'9 190 with like 8 percent body fat and ended up at 210, though I really gained like 30lbs of lard since I lost muscle too. Right now I'm about 190 again though I'm probably around 12 percent body fat and I'm maybe 85 percent as in shape as I used to be. It's a long road back but I have positive momentum and am trying to loose that last 8 or 9 lbs and but the same ammount of muscle back on.

Its all about self control. It can be hard forcing yourself into a routine. I know it was an absolute bitch to start getting up at 4-4:30 to get my run in before I had to go to work or school, but its gotten to the point where my body wakes up without an alarm and wont go back to sleep unless I go jog. There are days (typically Friday and Saturday) where I dont remember jogging, but I wake up wearing my running clothes, which I dont typically sleep in.

Broomball. The body ache lasts for several days, and you get decent cardio and hip/core workouts from trying (and often failing) to maintain balance. Oh, and it's fun. Just be active up and down the rink, and not be a lame pussy chilling on "defense" by the goal the whole time.

As of two weeks ago tomorrow, I have been going daily - twice a day. I swim daily at lunch, then go an do an hour of cardio and another hour to an hour and a half of weight training with a partner who kicks my butt if I do not get to the gym. She has really been a great help in keeping me motivated and we make sure the other is up to the workout every day. We do take one day off a week for recoup, but I still hit the pool on that day for a mild swim, just to stay loose.

I have been lacking in this department for years, then three weeks ago my son just looked at me and told me I was getting really fat. :retard: Turned a light on for me that I had been ignoring the soft glow of for far too long. Now, if I could just get my wife to go to the gym too!

I have been feeling a lot better, and my productivity everywhere is MUCH IMPROVED. If you have the inkling - get to the gym and get moving - you will be better off in the long run.

toesuf, the trouble is getting to the point where you can SEE the difference. As any of us knows who have been long time gym goers or joggers, the first few weeks are a total bitch and you aren't likely to see any difference, especially if you are horribly out of shape. So many people expect to go to the gym twice a week and look like Wolverine after 2 weeks. (Unless, of course, you're a woman, in which case if you look like him after a couple weeks (TONE DOWN THE STEROIDS).

And it depends on what you do at the gym. I saw way too many retards who would do a set of 10 on some machine, then fart around with their iPod, scribbled in a little notepad or READ. Good God! I sort of lost it on a woman one day when I had to keep waiting for machine after machine behind her and I snapped,"I'll bet you tell your friends that you work out for 90 minutes every day. Well, from watching you, I can say with confidence that you work out 15 minutes, and rest for the other 75." Yes, I know, I did read "How toWin Friends and Influence People."

If you need to lose weight, then you gotta get your heart rate up, and you can only do that either by pure cardio (stair climbers, cross-trainers, whatever) or by circuit training with weights. If you're resting between sets longer than the set itself takes then you are wasting your (and everyone else's time.)

But once you start noticing the calves thickening, or the triceps showing - wow, the buzz is worth it. How to get to that point is the challenge.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that if you have been an active athlet over the years, the body remembers and jumps back into shap faster than a person who never worked out, then in their mid 30's see an over weight person and decide to go to the gym to get in shap.

With that you have to accept that only time will show you the final results. like Carbiz says, a few weeks will tend to throw off some water and get a few results but it will be easy to put it back on and then some if you do not plan LONG TERM.

body drops in the first 30-60 days water weight and easy burn fat cells. Days 60 to 120 the body is not sure you will stay with it so it goes into hybernation mode and trys to store everything. Say with cardio and weight lifting as after about 100 - 120 days your body as long as it continues to get proper nutrition will start to drop weight again and this is when you start to see real gains.

Plan for around 1200 to 1800 calories per day as most people in the 5'4" to 5'10" range only need that many calories a day and you will drop the weight and see changes.

Goal is even when you do not feel good, unless you have a fever, you should still go and do 30 min of cardio, your body doing a lighter work out is better than no workout and you will still burn calories and ton.

Good luck to all who love to work out. :D

No working out here, just working. No doubt I could be better from a cardiovascular standpoint, but 8 years of excavation/construction have certainly kept me mobile & strong. Today: slung a bunch of lumber around (2x4s & 4x4s), sanded spackle, hammer-drilled into concrete block, cut/chiseled concrete, loaded up a truckload of tools for a new job Monday. Having eaten and wasted a half hour here, I now need to go make room in the garage and unload the truck.

No working out here, just working. No doubt I could be better from a cardiovascular standpoint, but 8 years of excavation/construction have certainly kept me mobile & strong. Today: slung a bunch of lumber around (2x4s & 4x4s), sanded spackle, hammer-drilled into concrete block, cut/chiseled concrete, loaded up a truckload of tools for a new job Monday. Having eaten and wasted a half hour here, I now need to go make room in the garage and unload the truck.

That's been my life since '85.

It has kept me in pretty good shape over the years.

I've been slacking for 3 weeks. I went Wednesday after work, and I went tonight. I've got to get back to going every evening after work. I only do the treadmill at the gym. I have dumbells here.

I've been slacking for 3 weeks. I went Wednesday after work, and I went tonight. I've got to get back to going every evening after work. I only do the treadmill at the gym. I have dumbells here.

What'd you call me?

Yikes I was on the treadmill on Wednesday evening and recognized, two treadmills down, a 22 year old who has an M4M ad on Craigslist. So I put the incline up to 12, and cranked her up to 20 mph to show off my athletic prowess. The paramedics say I'll be able to walk again, with therapy and good luck, in about 10-14 months.