Cobalt Cometh to Cory

I still dont understand the giant black plastic square on the back of the mirror, it makes it look as cheap as the whole thing being plastic.

10 years ago, they managed to give Saturns full body-colored mirrors.

6442-1994-Saturn-SL2.jpg

Edited by Satty

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That square cutout is the joint for the collapsible mirror head. Call me biased, but it wasn't a huge consideration when I was shopping for cars back in '05.

Nice job, BV. I think you'll find that you can do a lot on the Cobalt by doing a little.

Those mirras look good on there, Vipes. Now you have body-colored mirras like mine! The black, factory-style headlights available aftermarket would look good on it, too, and not ricey, since they look factory except for the darkness.

Nice job, BV. I think you'll find that you can do a lot on the Cobalt by doing a little.

My goal, if it can be done on a budget, is to transform it into a Sport/SS look-a-like. Those are atleast tolerable, looks wise.

Those mirras look good on there, Vipes. Now you have body-colored mirras like mine! The black, factory-style headlights available aftermarket would look good on it, too, and not ricey, since they look factory except for the darkness.

It's on my short list, but I wish I didn't have to stick with the stock lamps. Projector or dual beam headlights would most likely improve the rather meager light output, but all the aftermarket ones look tacky to me.

The SS headlight uses a slightly darker chrome finish, so you could go that route. Or, if you're creative, patient, and conscientous, you could save himself a couple if hundred, take the lights apart, and paint them yourself. It's only been done by about 85% of the population over at cobaltss.net.

And with z's post, I just got an idear for Vipes: why not get a set of headlights out of a salvage yard, remove the lenses and paint the housings bodycolor, like a Corvette? Install blue bulbs, and voila... a really cool, unique look for a Cobalt. (I am suggesting buying a set from the salvage yard in case something goes wrong, you have your original lights to fall back on.) Can anyone photoshop Vipes' car with red headlight housings?

As long as you're living under MY roof, and as long as I'M paying the bills, young man, you will DO as I SAY, understood? Oh, sorry, hehe, I was confused for a sec. Better now!

Here's what it could look like, for reference:

snc10682ht6.jpg

I think it would look better if he taped off the portion of the housing that surrounds the reflectors and left it chrome, like this guy:

phpprqd02pm.jpg

If you were to try it, vipes, I'd go with a black tint to darken the chrome until it's roughly the same shade as the plastic in the grille, and leave the edge bright chrome. That could be pure hotness.

My buddy has a black regular Cobalt that he made to look just like an SS. He even put clear tailights in it. He chipped it, put a header on it, and a full exaust. It has a ground effects kitt too, and it sounds pretty good for a four cylinder.

(It's 99% the same as the one he has).

Shush. :P

2650 miles update:

-Fuel economy seems to average around 30 mpg and the actual fuel economy generally isn't far off from the readout.

-The wheel covers annoy me. They rattle over every bump and there's no way to possible tighten them anymore than they are.

-The steering has a knock it in when you turn the wheel back and forth while stopped, right around the center position.

-A vibration has been coming and going. When it occurs, it will be from around 40 to 60 mph with the steering straight. Brakes magnify it, steering in either direction will dissipate it. Feels like it's on the left side. I imagine the tire is possibly out of balance.

-There's an odd electronic glitch. Sometimes, when you start the car, the radio will not power on by itself, or manually for that matter. It will power on randomly, seemingly when it feels like it.

Other than those, there's not much else to report.

You can probably find the 16 inch alloys that came with the upper trims on eBay.

06-cobalt-hero.jpg

Or, you could try to find a set of Ion wheels and get a set of Chevy center caps.

2005-Saturn-Ion-2.jpg

I know I suggested you should part out your Jetta, but this is going too damn far. I mean REALLY, parting out the PAINT and putting it on your Cobalt?:huh:

He does seem to have a thing for red. Great looking car, Cory...now you just need another Jetta as a garage mate and you'll be all set.

Have a little bit of fun modding it and enjoy it, like someone else said the Ecotec's are great powerplants.

Chris

True, though its still alot of money. I'm cheap. :P

Actually I've seen Ions and Cobalts with nice alloys come through the local pick-n-pull autoparts. If you want I can keep my eyes out...

Chris

I can get them for the cost of 4 concrete blocks.

Do it in the right neighborhood and you might get some bullet holes for some free patina in the B body.

Chris

Looking good!

I've debated whether I want to play with my Cobalt or not.....

Go to your local SCCA region and beat the piss out of it at the local autocross, and then reward it with some nice Mobil 1 and some Mother's carnuba wax.

Then go enjoy it with your family...take wifey and bambino out for dinner...wait a couple of weeks and repeat.

The beatings on the Cobalts will continue until the enjoyment increases...

Chris

Hey Vipes- I win:

in my 2007 G5

21-09-08_1219.jpg

in my 2008 Cobalt

30-01-09_1900.jpg

Clearly the Pontiac offered slightly more sipping EXCITEMENT!!!

Jesus Christ son of Mary....where did you take those pics, on a downhill run from the rockies with the car in neutral?

I've known 'balts to get 35 with the occasional 40 in a manual car...but wow...

Chris

Look at the bright side, at least it's a small car so reaching over isn't impossible to do. :lol:

(enter Satty mode)

Great, just what he needs...a car with a reach around....

(exit Satty mode)

Chris