Driven: The 70-MPG 2010 Toyota Prius

01_2010_toyota_prius_realorrender_450op.

What happens when you unleash a pack of automotive journalists on the newest hybrid on the block--and challenge them to beat the chief engineer's best fuel economy?

If you plan it right--set a low bogey--you'll let journalists write the best story on the 2010 Toyota Prius from behind the wheel. The fuel economy story. That's exactly what Toyota did at the Napa unveiling of the new Prius, where car writers far and wide topped the engineer's 62.9 mpg by as much as 12 mpg.

On a total loop of 33.2 miles, I logged in at 69.5 miles per gallon, without even really trying--just coasting to stops, accelerating very gradually and using the Prius' EV mode to coast into our host hotel. It's 70-mpg performance, if you're only counting two sig figs--and even that was strictly mid-pack. One pair of drivers hit 75.3 miles per gallon under vaguely real-world driving conditions.

Fuel economy is what the 2010 Toyota Prius is all about. Even today, with gas back under $2 a gallon and hybrids selling way more slowly than in 2008, the Prius is still the sales champ of the gas-electric category. No other car even comes close, and no other car is so closely identified with greener driving. The news of the 51-mpg city rating for the Prius, and our mind-blowing economy ratings, simultaneously takes some air out of the lower-mileage 2010 Honda Insight and 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, while also also making us wonder why anyone would really need a plug-in Prius.

The 2010 Prius is significantly improved over the prior car (confession: I'm an owner of a 2004 model) in dozens of small ways. Along with exceptional fuel economy, it benefits from a taller, more airy cabin and improved driving feel. It's also a more upscale effort in general, likely because of its close family relationship to the new 2010 Lexus HS 250h.

At the same time, the new Prius is still a hybrid, in driving feel and in appearance. Some of the upgrades have cut down on utility, like the nicer center stack between driver and front passenger that reduces knee room. The biggest concern right now is price: exactly how much will the new Prius cost, and will top versions break the $30,000 barrier?

Pricing comes later, as the Prius goes on sale in a few weeks. Until then, our Bottom Line on the 2010 Toyota Prius is that it ups the ante in the hybrid world with 51-mpg city fuel economy and a finer style.

Get our hands-on road test on our 2010 Toyota Prius page, along with dozens of high-resolution photos.

http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/marty-bl...10-toyota-priusTheCarConnections

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With gas being under $2 for most of the country (it's $2.09 for regular self-serve here), I can't help but wonder why people would buy something SO ugly?! I know they want to make a statement, but seriously, if I'm going to spend 25-30 grand on a car, I want it to look much nicer.

(confession: I'm an owner of a 2004 model)

Well there you have it. I guess it takes one of those types of people to say the new Prius has "finer styling". That front end is a disaster.

I guess it's just a big circle-jerk with Prius owners. "Look at how awesome we are!"

I know they want to make a statement, but seriously, if I'm going to spend 25-30 grand on a car, I want it to look much nicer.

And when the Lexus 250h comes out, they'll be wanting 35-40 grand for a Prius with somehow uglier styling and an "L" on the hood. But at least you get a normal dash layout.

Honestly if this weren't a Toyota Prius, I'd seriously consider one.

It's an affordable, practical, midsized family hatchback - now with decent performance and comfort - that happens to be the most efficient car I can buy.

But because of my innate stubbornness, I won't.

What do you mean "too late"? The Prius is driven exclusively by dorks, that fact is well documented. Cobalt drivers merely go about their bizness quietly while supporting their country.

Hardly...I know plenty of normal people that drive Priuses, so please keep your innaccurate perceptions to yourself.

The Prius, all generations, can be called at best "quirky" and at worst "hideous" but not really dorky.

Yeah, and the Prius has buyer demographics any car maker would envy..besides celebs and assorted environmentalists, it has a lot of interest from people in my world--well educated, well paid computer professionals.. I know a lot of people that bought Priuses for the high tech angle. It will be interesting to see if the Insight and Volt gain traction with this market as well..

Yeah, and the Prius has buyer demographics any car maker would envy..besides celebs and assorted environmentalists, it has a lot of interest from people in my world--well educated, well paid computer professionals.. I know a lot of people that bought Priuses for the high tech angle. It will be interesting to see if the Insight and Volt gain traction with this market as well..

I've seen a good deal of Priuses with McCain-Palin stickers as well - some people just want to use as little oil as possible, whether for national security or air quality reasons, and the Prius just happens to have the highest MPG of any car.

Edited by empowah

To each his own, but the Prius is the nastiest thing on 4 wheels in my eyes and will remain so.

Contast it with the impressive Tesla, and it really looks bad.

At a more affordable level, the Volt smacks it silly.

I hate everything about the Prius, and each time I see one that feeling is stronger.

The Volt is great. I remember when we test drove one that it was....oh, wait. Nevermind.

GM is so far behind Toyota on the PR front that a $40,000 plug-in hybrid isn't going to save the company. A wide range of alternative fuel vehicles (E-85 doesn't count, only 1900 stations nationwide isn't exactly widely available) for every budget and a million year, million mile warranty would be a real game-changer.

The Prius, all generations, can be called at best "quirky" and at worst "hideous" but not really dorky. The Cobalt, on the other hand, looks like the car that spends Friday nights in its parents' basement playing D&D. I'm pretty sure they all come standard with these (sorority girls) or these (everyone else).

No single car is going to "save GM". :rolleyes:

You seem to have adopted that line as your mantra lately.

You're counting on the whole being more than the sum of the parts. GM needs something big, and the need it fast. They need a Taurus or a K-car, something that will make people stop and think, "Wow, I need that" en mass. They dont need low volume, low profit niche sedans or a single high priced hybrid. Shock and Awe would work well for GM, but they're trying to make strategic, covert attacks on the market. And its failing.

You're counting on the whole being more than the sum of the parts. GM needs something big, and the need it fast. They need a Taurus or a K-car, something that will make people stop and think, "Wow, I need that" en mass. They dont need low volume, low profit niche sedans or a single high priced hybrid. Shock and Awe would work well for GM, but they're trying to make strategic, covert attacks on the market. And its failing.

Can't agree with that assessment.

Volt

CTS

Malibu

G8

HHR

Camaro

The 900s

CR ratings

JD Power (esp Buick)

Via critical acclaim, sales, PR value, awards, tech firsts, a critical mass is building.

The question is, will there be enough time to make it fly.

Camaro and Volt haven't hit dealerships yet. Thats another massive problem GM has. They come out and say, "See whats coming? Look at its, they're all shiny and new and innovative" then it takes 3-5 years to get it out. The Volt is understandable to a point because the technology (especially the batteries) is relatively new and they need to work the kinks out. But they could have been in the mass-produced hybrid market sooner. Ford got the Escape out in 2004, and they did it by making a system similar to Toyota's. GM couldn't do any better than the half-assed BAS system, and that may cost them down the road.

Camaro and Volt haven't hit dealerships yet. Thats another massive problem GM has. They come out and say, "See whats coming? Look at its, they're all shiny and new and innovative" then it takes 3-5 years to get it out. The Volt is understandable to a point because the technology (especially the batteries) is relatively new and they need to work the kinks out. But they could have been in the mass-produced hybrid market sooner. Ford got the Escape out in 2004, and they did it by making a system similar to Toyota's. GM couldn't do any better than the half-assed BAS system, and that may cost them down the road.

No argument here (except that Camaro is in the shipping process right now).

I also am a critic of GM's lack of speed to market with good ideas. Not to mention the absurd level of second-guessing...

EDIT: There are valid reasons for Camaro taking as long as it did though, GM had no facility here to build the damn thing! Wouldn't have been a problem, if they hadn't completely bailed on RWD earlier. Viewed in that light, Camaro came pretty damn quick.

Part of the problem with GM and hybrids also is that they f*cked around with nonsense like fullsize truck and SUV mild hybrids...woo hoo--huge letters on the side of $50k 6000lb trucks and SUVs that barely got more mileage than the regular ones...pointless. The Volt could have been to market sooner if they hadn't wasted time, money and resources on this nonsense.

Edited by moltar

Part of the problem with GM and hybrids also is that they f*cked around with nonsense like fullsize truck and SUV mild hybrids...woo hoo--huge letters on the side of $50k 6000lb trucks and SUVs that barely got more mileage than the regular ones...pointless. The Volt could have been to market sooner if they hadn't wasted time, money and resources on this nonsense.

Actually, the ones with the huge stickers are the dual-mode, which works quite well.

Pricey though.

The GMT-900 hybrids were great in concept, but not so much in execution. The price is terrible, and they don't get good enough mileage to be worthwhile. To be fair, Toyota couldn't do any better with the Sequoia. The GMT-800 pickup hybrids were a fantastic idea that, wallet-willing, millions of construction workers, plumbers and anyone who travels with power tools would buy in a heartbeat.

Actually, the ones with the huge stickers are the dual-mode, which works quite well.

Pricey though.

I think they have sold very few of them...it was a pointless diversion, IMHO.

Edited by moltar

I they have sold very few of them...it was a pointless diversion, IMHO.

The logic is valid and the system is good (major returns in city mileage), which helps with CAFE.

However, the price premium is tough for most folks to swallow.

EDIT: I would also say that NO resources were ever diverted from the Volt - that is being pushed as fast as humanly possible. GM knows how important it is.

The GMT-800 pickup hybrids were a fantastic idea that, wallet-willing, millions of construction workers, plumbers and anyone who travels with power tools would buy in a heartbeat.

hehe if they lived in the correct 3 states or so that were alotted them. besides that only 3500 or so were pounded out. what kind of crap is that?

my buddy's 06 tacoma has a freakin outlet, what gives?

hehe if they lived in the correct 3 states or so that were alotted them. besides that only 3500 or so were pounded out. what kind of crap is that?

my buddy's 06 tacoma has a freakin outlet, what gives?

GM has had "wuss" issues when it comes to productionizing good ideas for a very long time.

The Prius is owned and driven by dorks, geeks and nerds to the Nth power. That much is doubtless.

Hardly. And remember, it's the geeks that rule these days. :) Anyway, if you want to stereotype, I'm sure there are plenty for Cobalt drivers...

Edited by moltar

Every person I see driving one of these glorified golf carts looks like a total misfit... weirdo college professors, or tree huggers who are blithely ignorant to what it takes to manufacture one. This car is selling on image, not REAL VALUE.

Every person I see driving one of these glorified golf carts looks like a total misfit... weirdo college professors, or tree huggers who are blithely ignorant to what it takes to manufacture one. This car is selling on image, not REAL VALUE.

You are full of it... I personally know plenty of normal people driving them. The car has its merits, great gas mileage and it's clean.

Edited by moltar

Normal?:lol:

Yes, I know Prius drivers that are normal computer engineers, consultants, DBAs, teachers, etc. Even a CTO. You live in a small town in rural PA, don't you? It's different out here in suburbs of the West....the Prius is very mainstream in my world.

Edited by moltar

Priuses are very common around here. And I live in a red state. Not only a red state, a very red county, so the idea that they're only driven by liberal hippies or computer geeks is pretty off. There isn't much of a tech industry here, one major university, a couple of other good sized ones, but its not a huge college town. I know doctors and lawyers with Priuses.

Priuses are very common around here. And I live in a red state. Not only a red state, a very red county, so the idea that they're only driven by liberal hippies or computer geeks is pretty off. There isn't much of a tech industry here, one major university, a couple of other good sized ones, but its not a huge college town. I know doctors and lawyers with Priuses.

Yes..they are pretty mainstream these days. My CPA and my chiropractor both drive 'em.

Yes, I know Prius drivers that are normal computer engineers, consultants, DBAs, teachers, etc. Even a CTO. You live in a small town in rural PA, don't you? It's different out here in suburbs of the West....the Prius is very mainstream in my world.

Lol! Im glad I don't live where you do. I live in a rural part of PA and I see enough of those weedeater powered spaceships around here. Yes they get GREAT gas mileage, but they are ugly as sin, and just wait until you have to fix one then your gonna need DEEP pockets! Lol I'll just keep driving my truck.