2010 GMC Terrain revealed

I agree. I was expecting the Terrain to be more of a mini-Acadia. The Acadia is the perfect CUV design for GMC: it's a no nonsense design that looks professional and tailored. The Terrain looks too over-the-top and cartoonish. The overall shape of the Terrain is perfect, but the front end design and wheel flares are overdone and the back end design is too soft and bland. If GMC could tone down the overdone elements and beef up the rear end treatment just a tad, then I think this vehicle might be just about perfect for the brand. They started out with a good basic shape, but ruined it with the details.

Yeah, the Terrain grille is taller than the Yukon grille and looks like it might be taller than even the Sierra HD grille (which is a very handsome truck, IMHO).

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With that said, I can't help but laugh at some of the commentary...especially about the "unique" center stack which is the same damn thing you'll find in the Equinox....so it's not exactly "unique".

What makes the center stack unique is the red backlighting, stolen from a few junkyard Grand Ams.

I can see this becoming a mainstream trendsetter. the image vehicle for the masses. it's impressive and pushes the GMC image further than anything aside from Denali line. as attractive and enduring as anything GMC has produced. the stance has a good mixture of traditional GM style with some inijected raciness. the flat body paneling and front fenders finally pushes forward GMCs committment to truckitude. it's cute, it's burly, it's aspiraitonal, it's technical at the rear......i would only have hoped for a little better detailing in the taillamps. GM scored and the points above about this being a distinctive excercise versus GM's traditionally safe and little differentiated models is really really well taken. this will attract a different base.......that interior may not be distinct, and GM is counting on ADD consumers [not gonna happen, but maybe gonna happen :)], but at least it is very attractive. these are attractive packages overall, mileage included. I just wish they were a little wider.

I'm going to pull a FOG and pick apart the statement.

Bland is not ugly, you called it bland but did nothing to back up your claim that it's ugly. Overdone Chrome? Have you LOOKED at the huge swath of chrome framing the Terrain's stupidly large grill?

subaru-tribeca.jpg

09journey.jpg

Yeah, totally looks like a Tribeca from the side. :rolleyes:

You claim the fender flairs are an after thought while the Terrain's look completely tacked on with no integration whatsoever on the outer edges. The just go straight to the bottom of the car. On the Journey they form character lines that flow towards the front/back of the vehicle.

You know what I find funny? A "professional grade" Equinox. Or a "professional grade" Outlook. Or how about every half assed Chevy that was bestowed the SS badge?

I'm baffled by how you think the styling "doesn't make sense" on the Journey, but somehow Terrain, with a rear end that looks like it came from another car (like a Sienna or a Rendezvous) , and the front end with misguided lines and a giant, plastered on grill, is "beautiful."

I won't argue that the Journey is bland, but calling it "clean" and "bland" then calling it ugly with examples that you used just contradicts your opinion/fails to back it up.

:rotflmao: Thanks DF you have proven the point that Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, while this chrysler product is clean and bland from some angles in looks, I also find it ugly for that very fact. The GMC product I find distinct. Just like I love my 2006 Escalade ESV, but feel the new Escalade is bland and just so so. While I can see the better quality in the interior and the over all auto, I prefer the look of the old Escalade as superior to the new Escalade.

No contradiction in statements or facts, just the reality of how I see an auto compared to how you see it.

Could the fact that you label yourself DodgeFan color the glasses rose colored to this very Minivan like CUV in comparison to the GMC CUV? Maybe your a closet case that has yet to step out and profess your love for GM like the rest of us since you are here in a GM focused site. ;)

Keep up the great work your doing DF, it is a fun time to debate with you and discuss the merits of this industry that is going through major changes. :D

It has nothing to do with the badge on the vehicle. is the Journey had a Ford badge the argument would be the same. It's a design that GM should have spent more time on. It's different sure, but so is the Element. That doesn't mean either pay attention to detail.

i find the journey uninspiring, unoriginal, korean/japanese, and generally unappealing. no wonder it's a complete sales failure [or somewhere near a complete failure]. i don't think that's a design to reference as having anything markedly notable.

If you were reading I wasn't referencing it as being notable or distinctive. I was referencing it as clean and styled like every part belongs on the car.

It amazes me that just because something looks different that it's a good design to some people. It could still look different and have much better detailing. But whatever, clearly it's like talking to a brick wall.

For GM's sake I hope it sells well.

Lets add a poll to this thread and see how many think it will sell well compared to a bland middle or total bomb.

1) Out Sell all others in this category

2) One of the better stars in the category

3) Average, equal to other CUV's.

4) Worse than average CUV

5) Total Bomb, what was GM thinking?

Thoughts?

it will sell because it looks good, not just different. it's a great thing that it looks different, since GM has literally a sea of SUVs, thanks solid management product planning, and it's nice they have something that is different for them, but also somewhat avant garde.

"Looking good" is obviously very subjective with this vehicle. However there are objective reasons why areas of it doesn't look good, whether one wants to believe so or not.

I'm going to leave it at that. If you like it good for you...go buy one and help GM.

journey is bland and korean generic (it would be so suited for KIA badges all over it) but at least its not say, an avenger.

the Terrain will do well, depending on price. its a better design than the torrent, its different from the equinox, and is generally superior in many ways to many other vehicles in the crossover segment.

maybe the reason GMC went for the Jeep look is because despite all the 'Jeeps' available, there is not really a desirable Jeep CROSSOVER in this price and size category.

Liberty is a truck. Grand Cherokee is pricier, Compass and Patriot are smaller and aren't really good anyways.

Edited by regfootball

Here is a response from my daughter who is looking to retire her 1999 Dodge Durango to her little brother and get herself a new ride. She wants a mid size SUV/CUV that is AWD. I emailed her the pictures and GM press release about the vehicle. Her response to me:

Hi Dad,

I really think the car is kind of cute. do you think it will look good with a little lift? and i take it that it isn't a hybrid huh?

So here is a 25yr old Female that likes the look. Blows me away as I do not think GMC felt this look was Cute but my daughter does. :D

Puke. Ugh. Aztek lives.

The proportions are off - way off. Beauty is timeless, and time's up on this piece of sh*t.

I've seen lots of nice vehicles in all kinds of categories, but this one is just plain bad. Yes, it sort of reminds me of the Pilot, but that's not a compliment.

Puke, puke, puke, puke.

In fairness, a few specific comments.

The vehicle is narrow to begin with, so the design cues all make it look even narrower - the fender flares and the oversize grill, in particular.

The front view is not that bad...but then again, the front of the Aztek wasn't bad either. From the A-pillar forward, okay. But from the B to the back - ouch. Hold your hand up to the picture and block the back and then the front and you'll see what I mean.

The narrow look does not make anything look good. On top of that, the harsh squareness of the fenders doesn't fit the size of the vehicle. I don't know if they need to be smaller / bigger / more curved. The door panels - the flatness emphasizes the narrowness.

Yes, it's polarizing. The key to profitability is volume, not "out there" styling. GMC is not intended to be polarizing. It will fail - big time. GMC is not a niche. No, I'm not a big fan of the CUV segment, but fugly is fugly. Quite frankly, I'm not sure why GMC is even trying for this segment. It's antithetical to their brand. Leave it to Chevy. This will drag GMC's brand image down. No serious "truck" person, male or female, will think "professional grade" - more like "goofy". Think of it this way, did the Aztek do anything for Pontiac's brand image - Yes. It dragged it down. Unless your brand is "out there" - controversy is not a positive. There should be no controversy about a GMC vehicle. Period.

Last point, I promise (until the next one)....

Someone made a comment about badge engineering being dead, vis-a-vis contrasting this mistake to the new Equinox. To draw a parallel...the Rendezvous was (comparatively) gorgeous compared to the Aztek - it was only if you parked them side by side that you'd notice that they were basically the same vehicle.

What's the point of this? GM's management at it's best, answering a question no body asked. GM is rumoured to cut all brands except for Chevrolet and Cadillac, and now they're bringing this into production, in a GMC VERSION! What for?

To replace the Torrent. Otherwise, BPG would have no midsize CUV. Dealers would be screaming.

I think what bugs me the most about the Terrain are the size of the wheels and wheel wells. If the wheel well openings and wheels were both larger, it would look so much more proportionate. Instead, the profile gives off a Korean / Toyota vibe because they always use tiny wheels that completely butcher the proportions of the rest of the vehicle.

It has that extra something other vehicles in this class lack: presence, authority, masculinity. It stands alone in this class for those reasons.

Alas, all those qualities are negated by the FWD/transverse V6 platform. So it ends up a poser.

I hope an Acadia MCE is coming soon, with a Terrain-like front clip and real red taillights, instead of the Pep Boys ricer specials stuck in there now.

You want to Terrain-ize the Acadia? Wow...now I seriously question your taste level and market acumen. I like the Terrain, but the Acadia is perfect and appeals to its demographic with current styling. From that standpoint, I almost wish the front clip of the Terrain weren't so severe, but if they are going for men, then fine, they'll get them. The Acadia, as a family vehicle, needs to retain mainstream, softer styling.

You want to Terrain-ize the Acadia? Wow...now I seriously question your taste level and market acumen. I like the Terrain, but the Acadia is perfect and appeals to its demographic with current styling. From that standpoint, I almost wish the front clip of the Terrain weren't so severe, but if they are going for men, then fine, they'll get them. The Acadia, as a family vehicle, needs to retain mainstream, softer styling.

Maybe an Acadia Denali - cheese-grater grille, chrome "wagon" wheels, and jet black paint?

I prefer the Acadia styling to the Terrain..the Acadia is clean and smooth, refined looking...the Terrain just looks faux-macho and goofy to me.

Wow GM goes all out and makes something completely different from the same thing in the other brands, and you guys bash the hell out of it! lol! :deadhorse: I can't decide if I like it or not, but Im a truck or muscle car guy not an SUV guy. I do like the Acadia though.

Alas, all those qualities are negated by the FWD/transverse V6 platform. So it ends up a poser.

we've already been through this, it sells in a much lower price point. it's not trying to be a poseur. and the transverse platform cars are what people want. better handling, lighter, easier on gas. they still get through a snowfall, they are not trying to climb pikes peak.

so then the jeep patriot is a poseur too?

Edited by regfootball

we've already been through this, it sells in a much lower price point. it's not trying to be a poseur. and the transverse platform cars are what people want. better handling, lighter, easier on gas. they still get through a snowfall, they are not trying to climb pikes peak.

Yes..it's got the faux-rugged, tough look on generic FWD hardware. Nothing wrong with that...that's just what it is.

I think the Acadia is very attractive, but too tall for my tastes since if I were in the market for a large wagonoid like it, I'd get a minivan.

There. I said it.

Yes..it's got the faux-rugged, tough look on generic FWD hardware. Nothing wrong with that...that's just what it is.

yeah i think people want the 'tough' part but don't neccessarily want the look that suggests full capability so i guess in that regard the look is somewhat faux. but isn't that how this whole type of vehicle became popular?

GM have to peddle something rigid looking with hummer soon to go.

actually this to me is simply a GM interpretation of say, a Land Rover. Upright, not sleek, blocky.

Edited by regfootball

Croc, what I'm thinking of for the Acadia is a slightly softer version of the Terrain's front end, since the rest of the Acadia's body is softer overall. Nothing jarring and incongruous. For example, I prefer the Outlook front end to the Acadia's current one. An outright lifting of the Outlook front end with GMC grillework might satisfy my curiousity. Anyone up for a chop down in the appropriate section?

Croc, what I'm thinking of for the Acadia is a slightly softer version of the Terrain's front end, since the rest of the Acadia's body is softer overall. Nothing jarring and incongruous. For example, I prefer the Outlook front end to the Acadia's current one. An outright lifting of the Outlook front end with GMC grillework might satisfy my curiousity. Anyone up for a chop down in the appropriate section?

+1

And how about that chop? Someone here should be capable - we have lots of talent!!

As the owner of an Acadia, I think its perfectly styled. I chose the Acadia over the Enclave because the styling was the most masculine and trucklike.

As for the taillamps, its the only Lambda with LED taillamps. That was a plus for me and influenced my decision more.

As for the rest of the Croc's post. I could not have said it better myself.

Not quite as bad as the Compass, but yes, yes it is.

+1