ocnblu

What could Buick do

107 posts in this topic

Nothing in my eyes, but I wanted to post this to see if you guys have ideas.

They'll need to expand the lineup. They'll need to produce some youthful models. T-Type trim level regurgitated?

Delta coupe with turbo 2.0L

Alpha coupe and convertible

Zeta LWB sedan

Epsilon II sedan, coupe and wagon

What should Buick do to try to keep a few Pontiac customers from leaving GM wholesale?

Those would require money to develop...in the short term, they will probably just rebadge the G3, G5, G6 and Vibe as Buicks.

G3- Skyhawk, G5-Skylark (or use the Astra as the basis), and G6-Regal.

Edited by Cubical

Hey Cuticle, Fritz said all Pontiacs are dead and will not be shifted.

Hey Cuticle, Fritz said all Pontiacs are dead and will not be shifted.

That's surprising...I would think they would want to keep them to keep the volume up at BG.

Without Pontiac, BG dealers will have only 2 cars, a couple truck lines, 3 CUVs and a couple SUVs.

Edited by Cubical

I dont think Buick needs a Delta. The G5 proved that GM doesn't really gain anything by augmenting the Cobalt, hell they couldn't even get self professed Pontiac fans to buy one over the 'Balt.

Instead of taking a veiled swipe at me, Satty, post your ideas on how Buick can keep a few Pontiac buyers from defecting.

Why Buick? The only thing Buick would need to augment is the G8 with this:

Buick_Park_Avenue_03.jpg

Otherwise...

2008-Pontiac-G5-GT-2.jpg -------------------->

2009-cobalt-ss-coupe.jpg

but with more actual Excitement

GTO and Firebird haven't been around for a several years, so Pontiac couldn't even sell you a RWD coupe, just a FWD 2 door. So...

378266316_f75ff5464a.jpg ----------------------->

2010-Chevy-Camaro-RS-Live2.jpg

2007PontiacSolsticeGXP.jpg --------------->

saturn-sky_sidefront11.jpg possibly with a Chevy badge.

The short answer is absolutely nothing.

Any real damage control would have to take place at Chevrolet - with marginal effectiveness.

The short answer is absolutely nothing.

Any real damage control would have to take place at Chevrolet - with marginal effectiveness.

Actually it means something for anyone who was actually planning to buy a Pontiac soon. Those are the buyers you want to know where will end up with, not buyers for cars 20 years from now that never existed.

Actually it means something for anyone who was actually planning to buy a Pontiac soon. Those are the buyers you want to know where will end up with, not buyers for cars 20 years from now that never existed.

No offense DF, but I have no idea what that post means.

You said the "short answer means nothing". I took it as you referring to "short term."

If that's not what you meant, then my bad. :lol:

You said the "short answer means nothing". I took it as you referring to "short term."

If that's not what you meant, then my bad. :lol:

Oh, I see now.

No, that was not what I meant at all. :lol:

I'll add this to my answer as well:

Buick shouldn't even attempt to pick-up Pontiac's business.

It would not only run counter to the brand identity GM has chosen for Buick, but it would also fail miserably. The end result would be even more damage to Buick as a brand.

Let me further pinpoint who I am talking about with this thread: people who have been loyal to a BPG DEALERSHIP for a number of years, who have, until the very near future, bought Pontiacs from that dealership. This is one example of the customer I am talking about.

Let me further pinpoint who I am talking about with this thread: people who have been loyal to a BPG DEALERSHIP for a number of years, who have, until the very near future, bought Pontiacs from that dealership. This is one example of the customer I am talking about.

Satty will have fun with this one, but I think those buyers are all looking for a killer deal on their last new Pontiac right now.

And, they will only return to said dealerships for service.

If I had money to burn, I'd try to get my hands on a Solstice Targa - just because.

Local BPG dealership has an orgasmically beautiful metallic red Solstice GXP targa... but it has an automatic transmission...

Local BPG dealership has an orgasmically beautiful metallic red Solstice GXP targa... but it has an automatic transmission...

Well, some things don't change.

Even with cash to burn, I'd leave that one on the lot.

No manual=no sale :AH-HA_wink:

I dont think Buick needs a Delta. The G5 proved that GM doesn't really gain anything by augmenting the Cobalt, hell they couldn't even get self professed Pontiac fans to buy one over the 'Balt.

Even though I have a family and could really benefit from the extra two doors of the Cobalt sedan, if I end up buying a Delta product this year it will be a Pontiac G5 GT Coupe.

Satty will have fun with this one, but I think those buyers are all looking for a killer deal on their last new Pontiac right now.

Very true... while the wife loves the new 2010 Buick LaCrosse, I forsee me ending up with a Pontiac if I am able to get a new car this year (employment/pending layoff is the holdup right now). If the Pontiacs I desire go away before I can get a brand-new one, then I will look to GMC first, then Buick, for a new vehicle... Chevy will still be low on the list (yes, I did say I want a new HHR, but the wife *loathes* them and I'd much rather have a G5 over the Cobalt).

rather have a G5 over the Cobalt).

Serious question: why? Would you feel that way if Pontiac weren't being killed?

Why Buick? The only thing Buick would need to augment is the G8 with this:

Buick_Park_Avenue_03.jpg

There's just something about the frontend design of the Pontiac G8 that makes me like it the most out of all the VE variants (including Holden's designs). The Middle East Chevies look too Cobalt-ish with their grille design; I'm not a fan of the Holden bumber/foglight styling; and the Buick pictured above is too 'generic' looking. The G8's frontend design gets me everytime and is the area that draws my focus everytime I see one.

That being said, I'd love to see the NA Zeta live on and would prefer a Buick version - even if it means it would be out of my price range.

Serious question: why? Would you feel that way if Pontiac weren't being killed?

While I like the Cobalt and have had several students over the past couple of years buy a new one, I've preferred the look of the Pontiac twin-port grille ever since it's debut. Realistically, I know that there isn't much different between the Cobalt & G5, and the G5's radio readout/display wasn't even changed to red backlighting (it's still blue like the Cobalt). And I would have loved it if the G5 GT Sedan was available in the States; I don't think I'd be hesitating so much right now if I could have that choice. If Pontiac wasn't being killed off, I'd still be shopping the G5 GT Coupe over the Cobalt Sedan. I'd much rather have my money go to Pontiac and have a Pontiac in my driveway than a Chevy. Same holds true with the Torrent - if I was considering a CUV/SUV right now, I wouldn't even look at the Equinox at all.

While I like the Cobalt and have had several students over the past couple of years buy a new one, I've preferred the look of the Pontiac twin-port grille ever since it's debut. Realistically, I know that there isn't much different between the Cobalt & G5, and the G5's radio readout/display wasn't even changed to red backlighting (it's still blue like the Cobalt). And I would have loved it if the G5 GT Sedan was available in the States; I don't think I'd be hesitating so much right now if I could have that choice. If Pontiac wasn't being killed off, I'd still be shopping the G5 GT Coupe over the Cobalt Sedan. I'd much rather have my money go to Pontiac and have a Pontiac in my driveway than a Chevy. Same holds true with the Torrent - if I was considering a CUV/SUV right now, I wouldn't even look at the Equinox at all.

Buy a Cobalt sedan

Buy G5 and Pontiac badges

Buy the sick-on grill insert.

Voila!

I just never got this mindset...it's the same bloody vehicle. At least the Torrent had it's own front end (though not much else). It's not like a Taurus and MKS where they look completely different inside and out, for example.

For me the only Pontiac that interested me are the Solstice and G8, because at least the Solstice doesn't look like the Sky and the G8 isn't rebadged in any other brand in NA.

The G6 gets credit for this too, but it's just a lackluster car compared to cars like the Malibu...and I find the coupe ungainly from most angles (except the one that ocn took the other day)

When I buy my first new car it will be because of what appeals to me most, not the badge on it...but not everyone is like that. Not to sound like a jerk, because obviously some members may take it that way and then tell me to go to another website...that's just my view. For me, the cars that make the brand, not the badge.

Oh trust me DF, the G8 GT Sedan is my most desirable car right now... it's just that to be able to afford my mortgage, other car payment, auto & house insurance, our debt-load, ect. other bills and costs of life, I should be shopping the $23k-$24k MSRP range of vehicles and with Pontiac that leaves me the G3 (no way!), the Vibe (I still can't bring myself to buy a Toyota product, even in Pontiac clothing), and the G5. And you figure with incentives and a minimal down payment I'm really looking to spend $20k-$21k on my new car. There's no way possible I'm going to get a new G8 in that price range... unless dealers are saddled with inventory come late summer/early fall and start giving them away a'la 2004 GTO in 'gotta go' fire sales. And we already have a G6 Sedan - I'd love to be able to get the G6 Convertible, but for it's money I can get a G8 GT instead; same for the Torrent, the ones I want sticker between $29-$31k and I'd rather have the G8 for that kind of money.

As for "brands" and "badges", yeah I drink from the GM Kool-Aid and have bought into "branding" a long time ago. When I was 9 y-o my parents bought a brand new '83 Grand Prix LJ. Mom's car took us everywhere and I learned to drive in it. My mom kept that car for slightly over 10 years and it & Pontiac made an impact on me; my uncle was a GM guy too and had many different GM cars <he leased>, but his last car was a new '87 Pontiac Bonneville SE and it kept him going until he passed in '93 (on the flipside, my aunt was an Olds woman and those too were well respected by me). Most of my neighbors had Pontiacs, Buicks, or Oldsmobiles (if they owned GM), and anyone with a Chevy usually had a economy model (mostly Celebritys, Coriscas and Berettas, with the occasional Camaro - one neighbor though had a new '91 Caprice LTZ loaded that was sharp). When I was a teenager I liked Chevies, but it was Pontiac that drew my attention more ('89-'92 model years) and was what I was inspired to own. In college I wanted many Pontiacs, especially a Grand Prix Coupe, Grand Am GT Coupe, and Trans Am. When I had the opportunity to get a car after graduating college, it was a 3 year old Trans Am T-top Coupe ('95 that I bought in '98). My first new Pontiac came almost a year later when I leased a '99 Grand Am GT1 Sedan; the wife leased a 2000 Grand Prix GT Sedan in 2000. While I was disappointed with the new-for-2004 GP styling, the G6 caught my eye and I wished I waited 6-8 months longer (I bought a '04 Malibu in November '03). I desparately wanted a '04-'05 Bonneville GXP and would have loved a GTO when they came back in 2004, but those cars were way out of my price range. And as far as classic GM cars go, it's the Pontiac division that I like the most over the course of all the years - I can't honedtly say that about Buick, Oldsmobile, and Chevy.

Does this mean that with the demise of Pontiac I won't buy GM in the future? No way!! I still have GMC - my #1 favorite GM brand - and Buick has caught both me & my wife's eyes over the years (she had an '03 Rendezvous that she loved and is head-over-heels for the new 2010 LaCrosse). Just like Olds though (which besides Caddy is the only other NA GM brand that I haven't owned), I'll be sad for years to come with Pontiacs absence. And if I am able to buy a new car this year (2009), I will do my best to make it a Pontiac - for the last time (new anyway).

Maybe you'll get lucky and get a G8 on fire sale. :P

To go back to the original subject of this thread: I think Chevy has most of what Pontiac had (and then some) so I would imagine buyers will head their if they wants something representative of what Pontiac could have been, should have been (Camaro, Cobalt SS, etc.).

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor