Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew Dowdell

I'm in automotive hell

63 posts in this topic

So as you may or may not know, I haven't owned a car in over a year. I've been sharing my boyfriend's CRV. I've never been a big fan, but it saves money and we almost never have a conflict on when we need wheels. Over the past year I've kinda just gotten used to it. It's inoffensive in every way.

Today the BF needed the CRV to go one place and I needed to go do construction work so I rented a Toyota Tacoma for 6 hours from Zipcar.

Let me tell you... when a very base, 4-cylinder, rental Tacoma feels positively CTS-like, your daily driver sucks. The Tacoma is slow, has more body roll than a '76 LeSabre with bad shocks, and feels like a Camry inside, but it's RWD and has one thing the CRV doesn't; TORQUE

So, now I think the real reason non-automotive people buy Hondas is because the cars give that pleasant numb feeling you get while taking a warm bath and overdosing on oxycontin.

To an auto enthusiast it's like laying in that warm bath while the blood slowly drains from the slits in your wrists.....

When I get the mustang rental in Florida next week, my head might just explode.

*Hands paper bag to Olds so he won't explode his head*

(In Mr Myagi voice) Breath in through nose, breath out through mouth.

What year CRV is it? Honestly, I've never had those problems with the honda cars that I've driven. Compared to Toyotas, the Hondas are much sportier. Of course, it could also be that it is an SUV--the only SUV I have driven that was actually pretty fun to drive was the SRX. YMMV

It's an '04. There aren't any problems with it at all other than a chronically out of balance right front tire. It's just numb in every way and you have to flog the hell out of the engine to get anything out of it.

I had always heard that Honda's were sportier than Toyotas.

But i guess if you dont like high engine RPMs you probably wont like Honda 4 cyls.

Never driven a CRV....the Hondas I've had experience driving were fun to drive, IMHO--my sister used to have a '91 Legend coupe, my girlfriend in college had an '88 Accord hatchback, my friend Steve's '91 NSX, another friend's '97 Prelude--....haven't driven any recent ones, though.

Edited by Cubical

i can't imagine anyone actually desiring to own and drive a CRV but as the phrase goes, you get what you ask for.

and yes, to piggyback on another thread, hondas are TORQUELESS. you'd think they would at least have a 6 speed to make up for the LACK OF TORQUE.

Not real impressed with the CRV. One of my wife's friends replaced an Astro Van with a CRV, to me the Astro was a better vehicle and it wasn't one of GM's better efforts.

Be interesting to see what you wind up with when you wind up wherever your going to wind up.

Chris

...wasn't it one of the guys from Top Gear who said that driving a Lexus was like sitting in a vat of wallpapaer paste? Sounds like you had a similar experience.

Chris

i can't imagine anyone actually desiring to own and drive a CRV but as the phrase goes, you get what you ask for.

and yes, to piggyback on another thread, hondas are TORQUELESS. you'd think they would at least have a 6 speed to make up for the LACK OF TORQUE.

This lovely 2004 model comes with a 4-speed! Oh the horror!

The 4 speed probably isn't as smooth as the CTS auto either, is it?

Chris

Not real impressed with the CRV. One of my wife's friends replaced an Astro Van with a CRV, to me the Astro was a better vehicle and it wasn't one of GM's better efforts.

Be interesting to see what you wind up with when you wind up wherever your going to wind up.

Chris

If I end up staying in the US, I'll probably get a used '07 or newer Avalanche. If/When we go to europe, I think we'll get a used CTS with a manual or one of the big german land yachts used. Those things depreciate like Towncars over there.... and if you're going to tour the continent by car, is there a better way to do it than S-Class, A8L, or 7-Series?

The 4 speed probably isn't as smooth as the CTS auto either, is it?

Chris

Going from an '04 CTS and '03 Avalanche to an '04 CRV is a huge change....

The CRV 4-speed is fairly smooth, it just really hurts only being a 4-speed with no torque. Even mild hills a highway speeds can cause 4-3-2 downshifts.

The newer Avalanche without the plastic body cladding looks much better, IMHO.

Your going to kill me for this, but I think the Avi looks good in the bright yellow they offered it in a few years ago.

Chris

The newer Avalanche without the plastic body cladding looks much better, IMHO.

Your going to kill me for this, but I think the Avi looks good in the bright yellow they offered it in a few years ago.

Chris

Why would I kill you for it? I love that color too. It's one of the only other colors other than black that I would go for. (the other being that sunburst orange)

The sunburst orange looks soooo goood also.

Good luck with wherever you and the BF end up. Back on the Honda end of things...I think they have killed their fun to drive thing. The older cars (Prelude, older Accords, Civic Si's et al) were decent handling and driving cars.

The only "new" Honda I'd even remotely consider is the Civic Si and Honda pretty much killed the steering on the latest Si, it just doesn't have the feedback of the earlier cars.

I liked the previous gen Fit, but hate the restyle the more I look at it.

And IMHO the new Accord is "dumbed down" in the way it drives. If I want a Buick, I want a proper Buick dammit, not a pretender to the throne.

The only Japanese car company I like is Mazda...although the 370Z is growing on me.

Chris

Why would I kill you for it? I love that color too. It's one of the only other colors other than black that I would go for. (the other being that sunburst orange)

My favorite color on the Avi is a really bright metallic lime-oilve green from a few years ago..only seen a couple in that color, would look great on the '10 Camaro.

My buddy's wife's 07 CRV is not bad...granted it has the 6 I think...

And I've driven an 08 Accord...it sucks. It's huge, and it drives like it too...

A four cylinder Equinox or Terrain would convert him for life, I predict. But I understand you want something gently used to save money v. the same vehicle new.

A four cylinder Equinox or Terrain would convert him for life, I predict. But I understand you want something gently used to save money v. the same vehicle new.

Well he understands that he has bought his last import. If we stay, the CRV will get traded in for the new SRX.

edit: If I can convince him that if I get the Avalanche he doesn't need an SUV and the CTS coupe can be had with AWD, he's getting that instead.

My buddy's wife's 07 CRV is not bad...granted it has the 6 I think...

You can have a CRV in any engine size as long as it's a 2.4 litre 4-cylinder.

The engine in the '07 is the same one as in my BF's '04, however the '07 got a 5-speed auto to compensate for gaining over 200 lbs.

Must be a real treat to drive.

You can have a CRV in any engine size as long as it's a 2.4 litre 4-cylinder.

The engine in the '07 is the same one as in my BF's '04, however the '07 got a 5-speed auto to compensate for gaining over 200 lbs.

Must be a real treat to drive.

:neenerneener: Yeah, I forgot.....

Then again, I've been driving nothing but GM 4 bangers lately.. :P

My favorite color on the Avi is a really bright metallic lime-oilve green from a few years ago..only seen a couple in that color, would look great on the '10 Camaro.

The retro green looked good on the newer stangs, that green would look even better on the Camaro, methinks.

I've seen I think maybe one (avi) that color combo, Cubical.

Chris

The retro green looked good on the newer stangs, that green would look even better on the Camaro, methinks.

I've seen I think maybe one (avi) that color combo, Cubical.

Chris

It's a really interesting color, hard to describe, other than 'electric lime' or 'electric olive'.there seemed to be a lighter and a dark version. I saw one at sunrise a few years ago, and it was really striking w/ the sunlight on it...the Aztek had a similar color at one time, IIRC. The Camaro would look great in it. There were some really nice greens on the '69 Camaro, would like to see some today.

The orig. 69 Camaro looked great in that dark metallic green they had for it. Used to be an RS/SS 396 Car that was dark green with white stripes running around my home town when I was a kid.

Looking at that car was like looking at Lee Ann, the girl next door, in her tiny, tiny little bikini. It did horrible things to corrupt my mind, and here 35 years later I still remember them both very clearly.

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0