Buick LaCrosse Sales Up!

buickguy

Speaking of LaCrosse,

The wood's the most atrocious fake "wood" I've ever seen in ANY car.

Check out the Cadillac/Escalade/New Photos thread to see how GM can do an excellent application of woodgrain trim (and I believe it's fake in the new Escalade.)

Now, yes....I know the Cadillac is more "upscale" and more expensive, but it doesn't cost that much more to put a higher grade of woodgrain trim inside the vehicle.

Hell, even the Lucerne has a nicer quality woodgrain trim.

It's all about doing it RIGHT, Buick....

[post="55196"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Umm, both the Escalade and Lucerne have genuine wood.

You haven't seen late 90s Nissans then.

And as CSpec said, Escalade and Lucerne have real wood. So yeah.

[post="55374"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Funny how nobody really gave a crap about fake wood from the 60's through the 90's. Many cars had it, and it was usually really, really bad. And does the Lucerne really have real wood? All of it? I know on the Ultra it was just the strips on the doors, while everything else was fake.

Funny how nobody really gave a crap about fake wood from the 60's through the 90's.  Many cars had it, and it was usually really, really bad.  And does the Lucerne really have real wood?  All of it?  I know on the Ultra it was just the strips on the doors, while everything else was fake.

[post="55460"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Haha, well, status wasn't as important as it is today.

My Century has HORRENDOUS fake wood... if you look at it REALLY closely, you can see the dot-matrix printout--I mean, you have to put your eyeball up to it, but you can see it.

Not to mention it is formed in the most impossible ways that real wood could never handle. And guess what, I hate it! lol

But then again, that's comparing a car from the early 90's to cars of today.

The Lucerne's wood, well, I just have to beleive it is all real. It looks way too high-quality to not be. And it all matches.

As for the Park Avenue, the real wood and the fake wood didn't match. The fake wood grain was different and darker.

I believe the strips on the door of the Park Avenue Ultra were real up until 2002. Then everything became faux with the 2003 update. I agree the real did not match the faux. It looks better now that everything matches (steering wheel, console, doors, & dashboard) I believe the Lucerne's wood is faux also. Everything seems to indicate that, but it LOOKS VERY REAL in person. I honestly can't tell the wood is fake when inside of the Lucerne. If Buick would just use the Lucerne's wood quality in the LaCrosse, it would make a HUGE difference.

This is how Buick describes the wood trim on the Lucerne for the CX, CXL V6, CXL V8, and CXS models: Woodgrain trim, Walnut Burl S S S S1 1 - Warm Chestnut woodgrain included with (193) Ebony interior trim. In comparison, the Cadillac DTS, for the 1SB, 1SC, 1SD, and 1SE trim levels: Wood Trim, dark burled Walnut -- -- S S Wood trim, simulated, medium Ash S S -- -- So could all Buick Lucernes have real wood, and only upper DTS models?

I believe the strips on the door of the Park Avenue Ultra were real up until 2002. Then everything became faux with the 2003 update. I agree the real did not match the faux. It looks better now that everything matches (steering wheel, console, doors, & dashboard)

I believe the Lucerne's wood is faux also. Everything seems to indicate that, but it LOOKS VERY REAL in person. I honestly can't tell the wood is fake when inside of the Lucerne.

If Buick would just use the Lucerne's wood quality in the LaCrosse, it would make a HUGE difference.

[post="56139"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm almost certain the wood in the Lucerne is real. I haven't heard one comment about the woodgrain being faux from any of the write-ups, and that is something they'd rag on immediately. They did so in the LaCrosse... I believe "acres of ultra-glossy, faux wood" comes to mind.

Another reason I feel it might be real is because you have a choice between two woods as Fly stated once after he received his 2006 Lucerne Brochure. What annoys me is that the website doesn't state this, nor are the woods accurately shown. You see the "chestnut" but rarely see a good picture of the other type, which is much warmer (I believe a golden walnut). I noticed the other wood when looking at the all-cashmere interior (vs. ebony or titanium), but that could just be my eyes playing tricks on me. Any insight guys?

This is how Buick describes the wood trim on the Lucerne for the CX, CXL V6, CXL V8, and CXS models:

Woodgrain trim, Walnut Burl    S  S  S  S1

1 - Warm Chestnut woodgrain included with (193) Ebony interior trim.
In comparison, the Cadillac DTS, for the 1SB, 1SC, 1SD, and 1SE trim levels:

Wood Trim, dark burled Walnut  --  --  S  S 
Wood trim, simulated, medium Ash  S  S  --  --
So could all Buick Lucernes have real wood, and only upper DTS models?

[post="56148"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, and "DUH!" to me for not noticing Bobo's post! lol Sounds like the wood is real! :)

Cars.com & Carsdirect.com both show the Lucerne as having simulated wood trim. They're usually accurate.

[post="56153"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If it's true, then they MUST get that quality faux wood in the LaCrosse. It would help. That, and a center stack adjustment.

If it's true, then they MUST get that quality faux wood in the LaCrosse.  It would help.  That, and a center stack adjustment.

[post="56164"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I completely agree... but if the current gen LaCrosse is being replaced after 2008, I doubt GM will bother. :(

This is from the GM Canada Buick Lucerne site:

Console insert   simulated wood   
Dashboard insert   simulated wood  
Door panel insert   simulated wood

So it's fake.  :(

[post="56169"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks for finding out for sure... GM is the preferred source on an issue like this :)

I'm not bothered by this. It's the most convincing simulated wood that I've ever seen. There's just no way to tell that it's not real when you're inside.

I completely agree... but if the current gen LaCrosse is being replaced after 2008, I doubt GM will bother.  :(

[post="56165"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Can we hope for a refresh next year though? I mean, I would imagine so--the car has been out for 2 years, and the new 6A is out as well as the 3800 being removed... I would just think they'd do something for the 2007 model year as the LaCrosse will be revised completely for 2009.

The Park Avenue Ultra had real wood door spears from 97-99. The wood around the window switches and ont he dash was fake, though there there was mention of the fake wood being replaced by the real stuff for 99. In 2000 all of the wood trim in the Ultra disappeared and was replaced by that awful dimpled black plastic trim. In 2002, both trim levels received a new style of fake wood trim. In 2003, the ultra got an exclusive style of fake wood trim that lasted until the car was discontinued. In 2004, the fake wood trim in the base level was replaced with a new style of fake wood that also lasted until the car's demise.

Funny how nobody really gave a crap about fake wood from the 60's through the 90's.  Many cars had it, and it was usually really, really bad.

The wood in my Grand Prix is real: American Walnut.
Thing I find humerous about the entire wood discussion is all real wood in modern cars is sealed under a 1/4 inch of shellac, like the tabletops in a chain seafood restaurant.

Frankly I am flabbergasted that there are those who cannot stop fondling & rapping dash plastics, but have nary a whisper about how the wood feels. Half of wood's appeal is visual, half tactile. There is no wood feel in today's cars- what a shame.

The wood in my Grand Prix is real: American Walnut.
Thing I find humerous about the entire wood discussion is all real wood in modern cars is sealed under a 1/4 inch of shellac, like the tabletops in a chain seafood restaurant.

Frankly I am flabbergasted that there are those who cannot stop fondling & rapping dash plastics, but have nary a whisper about how the wood feels. Half of wood's appeal is visual, half tactile. There is no wood feel in today's cars- what a shame.

[post="58768"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I had NO idea the grand prix had wood?!

• 2 weeks later...
On an annualized level, how many units of LaX are they currently selling? I think that, to do what Century and Regal did together, they had best be looking at about 250,000 units. I like the LaCrosse well enough. I just was expecting more. The comment that it would be a very easy car to live with day in and day out / year after year is an accurate assessment.

The LaCrosse is supposedly outselling the Century and Regal in retail sales, but definitely not in total overall sales.  We'll know tomorrow if the LaCroose will break 100k for 2005.

[post="67172"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's a good thing. We don't want LaCrosses flooding rental fleets.

....they already are.....

At least based on the craploads I see at the rental agency every time I travel.....

[post="67298"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No one was denying the LaCrosse is sold to fleets. The LaCrosse is sold to fleets (just like most vehicles), but the the main point was that the LaCrosse is not sold in the same volume as the Century & Regal combined. The other point was that more people are buying the LaCrosse compared to Century & Regal retail sales combined.

So, just like the original title of this topic indicates, LaCrosse sales are UP and it's not due to fleet.