Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ocnblu

2010 Chevrolet Colorado

55 posts in this topic

Traveling to the mountains this weekend and riding in my dad and my brother's Silverados on the gravel roads and across streams has really driven home a realization for me: I really miss having a pickup truck. Car-like comfort, mixed with go-anywhere capability and extreme versatility really appeals to me, now as always. So I'm going to say here and now I am going to work toward factory-ordering a 2010 Colorado or Canyon as soon as I feel comfortable.

Here's what I want:

Z85 1LT extended cab 4X4 (GMC is SLE-1)

3.7L 5 cylinder/automatic/3.73 G80 locking rear end. (I checked EPA estimates for the 5.3L in this configuration, it gets horrible mileage, 14/19! 5 cyl is rated 16/21, I believe, a measurable difference)

Power convenience package (PW/PDL/PM/keyless entry/cruise with auto-dim inside mirror with compass)

1LT/SLE-1 comes with body-color mirror caps & side moldings, chrome exterior handles and aluminum wheels. Chevy comes monotone, GMC has chrome grille and bumpers.:)

Edited by ocnblu

Blu, do you like the Avalanche? Or you prefer the Silverado to that? I wonder if the Colorado ultimately is much more cost effective. It still seems to me Chevy doesn't sell the Colorados for much less than the Silverados.

Specifically it seemed to me the 4.8 and 5.3 Silverados don't do too badly for mileage?

LOL maybe there are some silverado hybrids already deeply discounted........

Does the Colorado ride quite a bit choppier than the full sizers?

I have to say as great as the GMT900 is, I just prefer the smaller size of the GMT355, and all it implies.

If you're not gonna go for the V8, would you consider going used? I ask because Colorado resale values aren't that great, and you could save yourself a few thousand.

You could go used...

However, I've come to conclude that getting exactly what you want is worth something. You don't have kids, or a fulltime boyfriend, or other responsibilities...if you want a truck I say go for it, dammit!

Not sure how the Lincoln dealership you work at is going to feel about a stream of GM products, but hey...

Personally...I like the GMC look a little better, so I would be thinking GMC.

What colors are you thinking....?

Chris

Personally...I like the GMC look a little better, so I would be thinking GMC.

+1

You know I'm going to beg, plead, and pout until you decide to order a GMC :lol:

Well I'm thinking about the new Steel Green with the tan and black interior.

Okay...maybe now I'm a little jealous, as a truck isn't in the works for me, and the new green is a really good color, esp. for that vehicle.

I think that would be a pretty rational choice for you, but...

THINK GMC....

Chris

So now I'm thinking of this:

2010 Z85 regular cab 4X4

1LT/SLE1

power and convenience pkg

3.7L I-5/auto

3.73 G80 locker

sliding window

trailering pkg

Steel Green or Dark Navy

tan bench if green, ebony bench if Navy

Modifications: Flowmaster with 3" single exhaust. K&N filter element. Chrome handles and body-color mirror caps (which are not offered on the reg cab from the factory), body-color small-style factory wheel flares and LT245/75R16 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires, turned black side out (they are 30.5 inches tall, not too tall to rub, but able to fill out the wheel wells and still be safely mounted on the factory aluminum wheels). They are the coolest truck tires ever, I had them on my '94 S-10 and my '98 ZR2 S-10. The factory tires on the Z85 are sooo wimpy!

Camino knows as far as vehicles, I can never leave well enough alone, I have to make it MINE.:smilewide:

Sounds good ocnblu... but why are you changing from the extended cab to the regular cab?? I know you don't have a need to carry people back there (in the extended cab portion), but it does give you added interior space for small items you don't want rolling around in the bed. Trust me though, the regular cab look is awesome!!

BTW, here's a picture of a 2004 GMC Canyon Regular Cab SL Shortbed with the Off-Road Package that I've always admired:

2004RegCab-cherryred2.jpg

Yeah it is. Hey GMTG: I am waffling right now between the reg and ext cab. It comes down to budget, I guess. My '98 ZR2 S-10 and my '04 Z71 Colorado were extended cabs, the rest of my trucks have been reg cabs. You are right, it is good to have space behind the seats for stuff. We'll see.

So are you keeping the coabalt or trading it?

Chris

Yeah it is. Hey GMTG: I am waffling right now between the reg and ext cab. It comes down to budget, I guess. My '98 ZR2 S-10 and my '04 Z71 Colorado were extended cabs, the rest of my trucks have been reg cabs. You are right, it is good to have space behind the seats for stuff. We'll see.

Don't get me wrong ocnblu... there's nothing wrong with the regular cab and you get what you like/can afford regardless of what I or anyone else say. I'd be very happy with the extended cab Canyon if I was a single guy, and if I had a tonneau cover or cap on the bed the regular cab would be very useful too (truthfully, if I was a single guy I'd be toolin' around in a new Sierra regular cab 4WD, likely the longbed :P ). I can't wait to read the post that you ordered or found the truck you want - but in the meantime I'll still be praying that it ends up as a GMC!!

:gmc:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

:o

BTW, here's a picture of a 2004 GMC Canyon Regular Cab SL Shortbed with the Off-Road Package that I've always admired:

2004RegCab-cherryred2.jpg

Nice!

So are you keeping the coabalt or trading it?

Chris

+1

I'd keep it...

Good luck! You know me I love the Gold Bow Tie! The only GMC I would go with over a Chevrolet is a Denali over an LTZ.

Edited by gm4life

Thanks mon. My Cobalt has absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's been a good car for me so far, it's just that I have to admit I prefer trucks to cars. I do need to make sure I am in the proper position before I do this, however.

Dammit man....I must have seen ten nicely done up Colorado's today, including a kick ass lifter 4 door that was just killer.

Not what I am going to buy for my next car, but...killer.

Keep us posted, dude.

Chris

Sure, 66. I saw a sharp Navy '09 Crew Z71 with a matching fiberglass cap today on the road at lunchtime.:)

It's the steel grey your thinking about, right?

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0