2010 Chevrolet Colorado

Traveling to the mountains this weekend and riding in my dad and my brother's Silverados on the gravel roads and across streams has really driven home a realization for me: I really miss having a pickup truck. Car-like comfort, mixed with go-anywhere capability and extreme versatility really appeals to me, now as always. So I'm going to say here and now I am going to work toward factory-ordering a 2010 Colorado or Canyon as soon as I feel comfortable.

Here's what I want:

Z85 1LT extended cab 4X4 (GMC is SLE-1)

3.7L 5 cylinder/automatic/3.73 G80 locking rear end. (I checked EPA estimates for the 5.3L in this configuration, it gets horrible mileage, 14/19! 5 cyl is rated 16/21, I believe, a measurable difference)

Power convenience package (PW/PDL/PM/keyless entry/cruise with auto-dim inside mirror with compass)

1LT/SLE-1 comes with body-color mirror caps & side moldings, chrome exterior handles and aluminum wheels. Chevy comes monotone, GMC has chrome grille and bumpers.:)

Edited by ocnblu

Blu, do you like the Avalanche? Or you prefer the Silverado to that? I wonder if the Colorado ultimately is much more cost effective. It still seems to me Chevy doesn't sell the Colorados for much less than the Silverados.

Specifically it seemed to me the 4.8 and 5.3 Silverados don't do too badly for mileage?

LOL maybe there are some silverado hybrids already deeply discounted........

Does the Colorado ride quite a bit choppier than the full sizers?

If you're not gonna go for the V8, would you consider going used? I ask because Colorado resale values aren't that great, and you could save yourself a few thousand.

You could go used...

However, I've come to conclude that getting exactly what you want is worth something. You don't have kids, or a fulltime boyfriend, or other responsibilities...if you want a truck I say go for it, dammit!

Not sure how the Lincoln dealership you work at is going to feel about a stream of GM products, but hey...

Personally...I like the GMC look a little better, so I would be thinking GMC.

What colors are you thinking....?

Chris

Okay...maybe now I'm a little jealous, as a truck isn't in the works for me, and the new green is a really good color, esp. for that vehicle.

I think that would be a pretty rational choice for you, but...

THINK GMC....

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

So now I'm thinking of this:

2010 Z85 regular cab 4X4

1LT/SLE1

power and convenience pkg

3.7L I-5/auto

3.73 G80 locker

sliding window

trailering pkg

Steel Green or Dark Navy

tan bench if green, ebony bench if Navy

Modifications: Flowmaster with 3" single exhaust. K&N filter element. Chrome handles and body-color mirror caps (which are not offered on the reg cab from the factory), body-color small-style factory wheel flares and LT245/75R16 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires, turned black side out (they are 30.5 inches tall, not too tall to rub, but able to fill out the wheel wells and still be safely mounted on the factory aluminum wheels). They are the coolest truck tires ever, I had them on my '94 S-10 and my '98 ZR2 S-10. The factory tires on the Z85 are sooo wimpy!

Camino knows as far as vehicles, I can never leave well enough alone, I have to make it MINE.:smilewide:

Sounds good ocnblu... but why are you changing from the extended cab to the regular cab?? I know you don't have a need to carry people back there (in the extended cab portion), but it does give you added interior space for small items you don't want rolling around in the bed. Trust me though, the regular cab look is awesome!!

Yeah it is. Hey GMTG: I am waffling right now between the reg and ext cab. It comes down to budget, I guess. My '98 ZR2 S-10 and my '04 Z71 Colorado were extended cabs, the rest of my trucks have been reg cabs. You are right, it is good to have space behind the seats for stuff. We'll see.

Yeah it is. Hey GMTG: I am waffling right now between the reg and ext cab. It comes down to budget, I guess. My '98 ZR2 S-10 and my '04 Z71 Colorado were extended cabs, the rest of my trucks have been reg cabs. You are right, it is good to have space behind the seats for stuff. We'll see.

Don't get me wrong ocnblu... there's nothing wrong with the regular cab and you get what you like/can afford regardless of what I or anyone else say. I'd be very happy with the extended cab Canyon if I was a single guy, and if I had a tonneau cover or cap on the bed the regular cab would be very useful too (truthfully, if I was a single guy I'd be toolin' around in a new Sierra regular cab 4WD, likely the longbed :P ). I can't wait to read the post that you ordered or found the truck you want - but in the meantime I'll still be praying that it ends up as a GMC!!

:gmc:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Thanks mon. My Cobalt has absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's been a good car for me so far, it's just that I have to admit I prefer trucks to cars. I do need to make sure I am in the proper position before I do this, however.

Dammit man....I must have seen ten nicely done up Colorado's today, including a kick ass lifter 4 door that was just killer.

Not what I am going to buy for my next car, but...killer.

Keep us posted, dude.

Chris

Well, it's called Steel Green at Chevy, it's got a different name over @ GMC. It's a new color for 2010. I just like green on a vehicle. '73 Catalina, '92 Golf, '65 Corvair, '04 Colorado Z71 and '09 Cobalt have all been green. Edited by ocnblu

You and me BOTH! My 71 Chevelle was a factory green car and I repainted it green. People thought I was nuts, but that was one of the best looking cars I have ever owned.

My 66 Fastback was originally signalflare red, I painted it white. If I had kept it was going to paint it green.

I just like Green cars. If I get an MCS I want British racing green.

Chris

Had a 1988 S10 Tahoe and a 1997 GMC Sonoma SLS with the ZQ8.

Both trucks were great and just want I needed. Both went 100K miles and never had any big issues other than an Alt, WP and one AC seal. I also got great resale on both and the GMC was in such good shape it sold in 4 hours after I put for sales signs in it. I sold it for almost $6K with 100,000, not bad for a 2WD truck that was 11 years old. I only paid $17K new and it stickered for $24K

The GMC had an extended cab and every option I could get on a 2WD. If I could have bought a new truck like this I would have in a second.

I tried to get myself to buy a Colorado and looked at the 4x4 and 2WD extended cab ZQ8. Both trucks drove well and and I was pleased to see how much better the 5 cylinder was vs the old 4.3.

But I had one issue and that was the interior. Ever since they came out I could not get past the interior. Too much cheap plastic and cheap seat fabric. I just could not get excited about buying one no matter how I tried to convince myself. I always see 1983 like Camaro interiror. I waited for several years to see if they would fix it but they never did. I am sorry they never did because I would love to have a small truck again from GM but it will have to wait till I buy again later.

I did buy an HHR SS and even though it has a lot of cheap plastic it does not look like a rental car with the red and ebony leather and suede interior. The seats and color make up for the plastic door panels.

I love the look of the 4x4 with the off road package. It just looks mean. No matter what you you buy make sure it is an extended cab as it is hard to live without one if you had one before. I still wish I could have got over the interior because I lover the rest of the truck.

To beat a dead horse to death...

The thing that would make me buy a colorado or a canyon would be a small diesel.

Love the way the truck looks as a 4WD.

Chris

To beat a dead horse to death...

The thing that would make me buy a colorado or a canyon would be a small diesel.

Love the way the truck looks as a 4WD.

Chris

I think a 2.0 Ecotec Tubo in a 2WD standard cab with a ZQ8 would be more fun than the V8. The parts are just sitting the to go in out of the soon canceled Solstice. With the tune kit near 300 HP and less wieght than the V8.

Edited by hyperv6

See, where the last S-10s had a hard, creaky plastic dash (I had a '98, they didn't change up to the last model year), the Colorado has a hard, but more flexible type of plastic dash. It does not sound hollow, or like it will crack when you bang on it. And the last S-10s had the same cloth on the seats as the first Colorados. Yes, my '04 was pretty plain for a relatively top-line trim, but since then they've dressed it up a bit, with a revised instrument cluster, and chrome touches throughout. Also, the tan and black interior color brightens it up, too. Even the "Very Dark Pewter" is nicer than my basic gray I had in the '04 LS Z71.

See, where the last S-10s had a hard, creaky plastic dash (I had a '98, they didn't change up to the last model year), the Colorado has a hard, but more flexible type of plastic dash. It does not sound hollow, or like it will crack when you bang on it. And the last S-10s had the same cloth on the seats as the first Colorados. Yes, my '04 was pretty plain for a relatively top-line trim, but since then they've dressed it up a bit, with a revised instrument cluster, and chrome touches throughout. Also, the tan and black interior color brightens it up, too. Even the "Very Dark Pewter" is nicer than my basic gray I had in the '04 LS Z71.

I had no issue with the dash it was solid and did not make noise or feel like Tupperware. The door panels on the new truck are what bothered me the most. Migh HHR is similar but the plastic is better and they at least made them red and black with w silver accent to make it look less cheap. On the standard HHR they do look very rental even in the LT2.

I also hated I could not get leather in anything but the crew cab. I never understood this. At least make it an option in the extended cab.

I think a 2.0 Ecotec Tubo in a 2WD standard cab with a ZQ8 would be more fun than the V8. The parts are just sitting the to go in out of the soon canceled Solstice. With the tune kit near 300 HP and less wieght than the V8.

Never thought if this, like this idea.

Chris

It is a cool idear, but I'd be afraid of warranty claims for ppl who would insist on treating their sporty little ZQ8 like a... truck.

I don't know about the towing rating since this engine is unrated in anything it is in. But as for engine durability it should not be an issue as this is one of the strongest engines GM makes. They did this engine right and did not just bolt a turbo on an old engine and expect it to work.

Mine has sodium valves, better head, forges rods etc. I am seeing 21-23 PSI with no issues. Even the tranny is bolted up to strengthen the block and bottom end.

Before Lingenfelter died he was doing work with my company and I got to sit and talk with him in his race rig one afternoon and talk about what he was working on. It was amazing what they were getting out of the Eco at that point. He was using the SAAB cast black and mostly modified stock parts to get to 1500 HP. He said at that point the heads were cracking and they needed to go to a race head.

I Know for sure it would out last the leaky Iron duke.

If anything a GMC version would make a good model called a Tornado? Also they need to go to 19 inch tires. The ZQ8 tires look to small even at 17 inches.

Edited by hyperv6

Some day I'm going to own one as a Solstice GXP.

That ecotech is one of the best mills GM ever came out with.

Chris

I was looking at the GXP but I alrady have one 2 seater and did not need another. The LNF is what sold me on the HHR SS. When I threw the shifter into 3rd gear and looked at the dash to see over 96 MPH I told the wife I could really like this.

I'm glad yhou own yours, hyper.

I've been noticing them more and more.

The only thing I have against the HHR SS is that too many of them seem to be painted red.

Chris

When I was shopping last summer all I could find were Red and Black. I was going to get a Red one but they never had all the options. I finally got a black one with them all. I really like the black better but hated to keep it clean.

Of the 4600 made in 08 over half built were red and black. ALL other colors are just in the hundreds built. I work with a guy who found a silver one and I see Blue once in a while.

Looks best in blue IMHO.

What is rare is the HHR SS Panel van.

Any production #'s on those?

Chris

I do not have those numbers yet but it would be safe to say I bet they are under 500 units. There were only 4519 SS built in 08 and with sales down I would guess there were less this year.

GM never really marketed this well and few people knew of them or what they could do perfromance wise. I still get people telling me they like what I have done with my SS and it is stock.

I never was a HHR fan or FWD but after seeing it at the Cleveland auto show and then the test drive on a whim sold me on it. I saw before they were working on one but I never expected a car this well tuned. GMPD did a hell of a job on this car.

I almost bought a dark blue one when they first came out. That's my favorite color on the HHR SS.

My mind keeps going back to a Navy reg cab as my next GMT355. BedRug, soft, tri-fold tonneau like I had on the Sierra and knobby tires would just about make it right for me.

Sounds like a nice Truck, blu. Although I would do ext cab. And Green, I like that green as well as the blue.

I am thinking my next truck will be Chevy and prob. not Ford.

Thinking the 61-66 Bodystyle in a short bed half ton either stepside or fleetside.

Thnking I'd like to find 64-66 GMC short bed, but that may be tough.

If not that 48-55 Advance design series. Wish I could afford the 41-47 "art Deco" series...

Chris

Sounds like a nice Truck, blu. Although I would do ext cab. And Green, I like that green as well as the blue.

I am thinking my next truck will be Chevy and prob. not Ford.

Thinking the 61-66 Bodystyle in a short bed half ton either stepside or fleetside.

Thnking I'd like to find 64-66 GMC short bed, but that may be tough.

If not that 48-55 Advance design series. Wish I could afford the 41-47 "art Deco" series...

Chris

There is a nice red 64 I think Fleetside with a 327 in it here in town for sale. It looks good driving by and only want a litt;e over $5K. Not fancy but it looks nice. I saw a 63 over the week enf with the extra chome trim and original caps and white walls on it. It was pretty upscale for a 63. It was clean every where but the left 1/4. The fender lip had blisters. It was sad as the rest of it was show room new.

There is a nice red 64 I think Fleetside with a 327 in it here in town for sale. It looks good driving by and only want a litt;e over $5K. Not fancy but it looks nice. I saw a 63 over the week enf with the extra chome trim and original caps and white walls on it. It was pretty upscale for a 63. It was clean every where but the left 1/4. The fender lip had blisters. It was sad as the rest of it was show room new.

Blisters I can fix...both of those trucks sound nice. Right now I am saving $ so I can pay cash for a truck and not have to take $ ouof the savings I already have. Tired also of seeing people want 3k for a truck that you can dribble a basketball through the bed floor and not hit metal.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

• 2 months later...
I have a real strong hankerin' to see a photo of a 2010 Colorado or Canyon in Steel Green Metallic. I've been searching the 'net to no avail, but I see some in inventory at dealers. Can anyone help me out?

Colorados of any sort are in very short supply around here. As much as I don't like the interior, I have been mulling over getting one next year, ideally, a CPO V8 ext. cab model, so that I can carry both bikes and people at the same time. Alas, searching the local dealer lots, online inventories, craigslist ads, and ebay auctions has been fruitless. I know I can get a Silverado equipped the way I want for the same price or better, but I think I'd prefer the tidier size.