GM delays TrailBlazer, Envoy re-do

By Rick Kranz and Jamie LaReau
Automotive News / December 05, 2005

DETROIT -- General Motors has canceled an extensive re-engineering of the Chevrolet TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy for mid-2007.

The automaker will change the exterior and interior styling and probably push back the restyled vehicles' introduction to January 2008, say sources familiar with the vehicle program.

GM's decision reflects the sales nosedive of truck-based SUVs, the automaker's financial plight and the expectation that many SUV owners will shift to crossover vehicles that offer better fuel economy.

Combined U.S. sales of the TrailBlazer and Envoy this year through November were 319,591 units, down 16.4 percent from the year-ago period.

Other vehicles on the mid-sized SUV architecture are the Buick Rainier, which is scheduled to die after the 2007 model year; the Saab 9-7X; and the Isuzu Ascender.

Still to be decided is whether GM will continue to offer both standard and stretched versions of the TrailBlazer and Envoy, sources say.

The stretched versions are made primarily in the Oklahoma City plant, which GM plans to close next year.

More: http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=55632

So it sounds like they're just delayed and not totally cancelled?

A pushback... could it mean a possible canning for the Lambda?

[post="52992"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It is possible, give the Lambda some time to see how well it sells and how it impacts the TB and Envoy. I wouldn't be surprised if the Envoy and TB are canned. No reason for a Truck based suv like that. The sales will not warrant it, just watch and see <_< . Edited by Cremazie

I would think it helps Lambda too.  But no way GM dumps the TB and Envoy.  319,000 a year is still a hefty number.  And GM does make some profit off it.

[post="53016"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just wait and see how the Lambdas change that landscape. I figure that they will be far superior to the Truck based quints, taking away most of those 319,000 sales.

Maybe I'm behind the times here, but I thought Chevrolet was not supposed to get an SUV Lambda, but a minivan. :huh:

[post="53040"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah Chevy's just getting the Uplander redesign or replacement-for now anyways-I'd like to see the GMC Acadia transferred to Chevy though-as it just doesn't fit GMC's professional grade truck image, since its a car.

Yeah Chevy's just getting the Uplander redesign or replacement-for now anyways-I'd like to see the GMC Acadia transferred to Chevy though-as it just doesn't fit GMC's professional grade truck image, since its a car.

[post="53052"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, you have a good point there. Considering I had been thinking that Chevy was getting an SUV too. Since that is not the point we may have a problem with the death of the TB!

I think Chevy should've gotten the Lambda over GMC too. I think once people stop buying SUVs, GMC should keep offering body-on-frame vehicles for contractors and people involved in construction since that's what they're used for anyway. But since GMC is already getting the Lambda, Chevy should not, under any circumstances recieve one. I think we may see the next Equinox grow in size to compensate for the Trailblazer's exit. Look at what Toyota is doing with the Rav4 and the Highlander. They're both growing in size and I think GM is following suit.

I think this is bad news... The GMT360's still sell well and they have established a name for themselves, not to count GM doesn't seem to have anything in the pipeline to replace the TB at Chevy. Yet another once successful GM offering that will wither on the vine and secede market share just because GM doesn't seem to *think* it's a worthwhile investment. I'm sure Toyota will appreciate the increased 4Runner sales as will Honda with the increased Pilot sales, however SMALL they may be. I'm just tired of hearing about GM "giving up" all the time... I thought we we're going to try and hold our ground in the truck market, yet as usual, GM introduces a rare successful pack of vehicles and then abandons them while competitors gain ground with newer offerings and GM gets yet another bad name in another segment for poor, outdated offerings. Same story, different day GMT360 needed to be redesigned or updated last year, and GM continues to be one of it's own worst enemies. I'll stop rambling there.... :ph34r:

You fellows are overreacting. The TB is not dying. Because of higher fuel prices, demand for mid-sized truck based SUV's is shrinking - even more than demand for full sized SUV's purchased by more affluent buyers who can afford the fuel. GM is doing the same thing Ford is doing - cutting back production of these truck based mid sized SUV's. This is a very sensible move by GM (and Ford).

You fellows are overreacting.  The TB is not dying.  Because of higher fuel prices, demand for mid-sized truck based SUV's is shrinking - even more than demand for full sized SUV's purchased by more affluent buyers who can afford the fuel.  GM is doing the same thing Ford is doing - cutting back production of these truck based mid sized SUV's.  This is a very sensible move by GM (and Ford).

[post="53082"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm not sure how sensible it is for Ford, given how much money they blew on the Explorer redesign. Talk about bad timing.

Considering how much money GM is hemeraging and the direction the SUV/Crossover market is moving, I think it is the right idea to get the Lambda's out there first. On a slighly off the mark note, did anyone see in the Nov 2005 YTD numbers that the Trail Blazer is only about 300 units behind the Explorer for the year. If the TB could over take Explorer for the year this would be a tremendous ego blow to Ford. It would be the 1st time the Explorer was not the best selling SUV in at least 15yrs. Dearborn must be crying the blues because its cash cow is down almost 100K units for the yr. Go TB!!

I really don't think killing them would have much effect at all, as long as the Lambdas were out at the same time. Truth be told, quality has never been a high point of the 360's, nor has driving dynamics, and for probably 90% of the people who buy them, they'd never know the difference between the body on frame Envoy they once had and the new Acadia they now have, for instance--except one is MUCH more space efficient, more fuel efficient, and nicer to drive. And for those who need to tow, there's always still the Tahoe/Yukon, which would remain as the "trucky" ones. No one really tows a whole heck of a lot with a TB or Envoy anyway. Then again, that's just my view. I've known so many people, either directly or indirectly, who started out with a TB or Envoy an then moved up to a Tahoe or Yukon, which they felt was infinitely better, that I hardly think killing them off would be much of a bad thing, PROVIDED that there would be a suitable crossover replacement for each of the affected brands. As such, since only Buick, GMC, and Saturn are getting the Lambda ute's, it's most likely a necessity to keep the 360's around in some form for quite some time.

I'll tell, I'm losing confidence.  GM showed us a bunch of future programs and now I can count a hand full that have been cancelled or rescoped.  They brought us in to show they're on the right track finally, but now it's shaping up to be more of the same old GM.

[post="53186"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, you can't do what you don't have the $$ for B) Edited by caddycruiser

You fellows are overreacting.  The TB is not dying.  Because of higher fuel prices, demand for mid-sized truck based SUV's is shrinking - even more than demand for full sized SUV's purchased by more affluent buyers who can afford the fuel.  GM is doing the same thing Ford is doing - cutting back production of these truck based mid sized SUV's.  This is a very sensible move by GM (and Ford).

I agree to an extent... I'm just tired oof seeing GM constantly re-trench and I DO NOT want to see them completely kill the GMT360s. They need to try and maintain as much of the market as they can.

The difference I sense here (and based on earlier discussions) is that GM is ASSUMING that GMT360 demand will falter and is pinching the lifeline on the trucks, instead of letting the market slowly determine.

GM has always been much too hasty to abandon segments or niches based on their assumptions only to see competitors gain ground.

I'm probably way off base though (hopefully)

I'll tell you, I'm losing confidence. GM showed us a bunch of future programs and now I can count a hand full that have been cancelled or rescoped. They brought us in to show they're on the right track finally, but now it's shaping up to be more of the same old GM.

Thank you very much AH-HA!

My sentiments exactly... Same mistakes, different decade.

You know what cracks me up? How many of you here at C&G own a newer TB, Envoy, 9-7x, Rainier or even a Bravada? I know I do, and I absolutely LOVE my Envoy. I love it so much that my best friend wanted to drive it (he turned towards imports 3 years ago), he loved it and went out and bought an '05 Rainier (GM Employee Pricing promotion cleared the lots of the Envoys in August; his only choice was leftover Rainiers and he liked the upscale styling difference over the Envoy). I don't tow, so I don't need a GMT-900 SUV. I like the size, power, ride & handling my Envoy offers me. I like it better than any car I've ever owned. If I could afford a 2nd one, I'd get rid of the Malibu and drive another Envoy :P Don't knock it unless you own one. The steering in mine is great (has the best turning radius of any vehicle I've ever owned or driven), the power is phenonmenal, I have no build quality issues to report. Give the GMT-365's a break! :angry:

You know what cracks me up?  How many of you here at C&G own a newer TB, Envoy, 9-7x, Rainier or even a Bravada?  I know I do, and I absolutely LOVE my Envoy.  I love it so much that my best friend wanted to drive it (he turned towards imports 3 years ago), he loved it and went out and bought an '05 Rainier (GM Employee Pricing promotion cleared the lots of the Envoys in August; his only choice was leftover Rainiers and he liked the upscale styling difference over the Envoy).  I don't tow, so I don't need a GMT-900 SUV.  I like the size, power, ride & handling my Envoy offers me.  I like it better than any car I've ever owned.  If I could afford a 2nd one, I'd get rid of the Malibu and drive another Envoy  :P  Don't knock it unless you own one.  The steering in mine is great (has the best turning radius of any vehicle I've ever owned or driven), the power is phenonmenal, I have no build quality issues to report.  Give the GMT-365's a break!  :angry:

[post="53194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 360's are one of FEW modern GM success stories...

Think about the presence of the Jimmy, Bravada and Blazer compared to the monumental strides made by the TB, Envoy & Rainier.

The difference I sense here (and based on earlier discussions) is that GM is ASSUMING that GMT360 demand will falter and is pinching the lifeline on the trucks, instead of letting the market slowly determine.

[post="53192"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But demand has already faltered.

I'll tell you, I'm losing confidence.  GM showed us a bunch of future programs and now I can count a hand full that have been cancelled or rescoped.  They brought us in to show they're on the right track finally, but now it's shaping up to be more of the same old GM.

GM needs to stop cancelling and shifting. Now I am losing some confidence. their ability to build world-class automobiles is becoming more proven, but the gotta haves have to come soon. I hope they are not cancelling all the good stuff.

I guess I'm kind of on the fence with this one. On one hand GM needs to have a presence in this market because, though it may be shrinking, it will be around forever. GM also does not need to have old models on the lots, rather competitive models. Really all GM needs to is replace the interiors and give them all near-9-7x driving dynamics. Is it really that expensive? On the other hand, money would be better spent on crossovers and cars because SUVs are falling by the wayside, at least currently. Once gas prices got up there many people realized they did not need huge vehicles that guzzle gas.

Agreed. Like I said in my other posts..the trend is dying...not the TB.

They might lose a few sales..but it won't fall off if they wait a bit longer...
this is not the Cavalier we are talking about here... :rolleyes:

The need to worry about those new smaller SUVs...and the updating of the car
line...

They really don't need the EXT anymore either....

I'll tell you, I'm losing confidence.  GM showed us a bunch of future programs and now I can count a hand full that have been cancelled or rescoped.  They brought us in to show they're on the right track finally, but now it's shaping up to be more of the same old GM.

Hmm..let's hope not. :(

But when you have a lack of money....