Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The list just got a little longer...

cletus8269

the list of names for when i snap that is...

behold and cringe with disgust, hate, and malice... so much malice...

Though the most popular vehicle destroyed under Cash For Clunkers was the Ford Explorer, there were also AMGs, Rolls-Royces and even a LaForza crushed. The ten most exotic cars that fools parted with below. Click through if you dare.

We'd point out these vehicles have to have been insured and driven for a year, so it's not as if these were merely broken shells of these exotic makes. Someone had to destroy a roller for, at most, $4,500 off a new car. Click next to see what cars were destroyed, how much they originally sold for, and how rare they were.

500x_C4C_Exotic_BMW.jpg

Vehicle: BMW 850i

Year: 1992

Original MSRP: approximately $100,000

Rareness: Only 30,000 built

500x_C4C_Exotic_DB7.jpg

Vehicle:Aston Martin DB7 Volante

Year: 1997

Original MSRP $137,000

Rareness: Only 7,000 built; therefore, there are only 6,999 left at most

500x_C4C_Exotic_Roush.jpg

Vehicle: Roush Stage 3 F-150

Year: 2006

Original MSRP: Approximately $46,000 after upgrade

Rareness: Unknown

500x_C4C_Exotic_Typhoon.jpg

Vehicle: GMC Typhoon

Year: 1992

Original MSRP: $29,320

Rareness: Only 4,697 produced

500x_C4C_Exotic_LaForza.jpg

Vehicle: LaForza SUV

Year: 1990

Original MSRP: $60,000

Rareness: Unknown, but assumed rare since the Ford-powered $60,000 Italian SUV wasn't amazingly popular.

500x_C4C_Exotic_C43.jpg

Vehicle: Mercedes C43 AMG

Year: 1999

Original MSRP: $53,000

Rareness: Only 4,200 units built

500x_C4C_Exotic_ContiR.jpg

Vehicle: Bentley Continental R

Year: 1997

Original MSRP: $307,000

Rareness: Only 1,290 built

500x_C4C_Exotic_Phaeton.jpg

Vehicle: Excalibur Autos Phaeton

Year: 1987

Original MSRP: Unknown

Rareness: Unknown, but fairly rare

500x_C4C_Exotic_4porte.jpg

Vehicle: Maserati Quattrporte

Year: 1985

Original MSRP: $80,000

Rareness: If it's a 1985 U.S. model then it is likely the Royale, of which only 55 were built to order for Americans

and the worst one of all... i think i am going to be sick...

500x_C4C_Exotic_GNX.jpg

Vehicle: Buick GNX

Year: 1987

Original MSRP: $29,900

Rareness: Only 547 produced

http://jalopnik.com/5365954//gallery/?selectedImage=1

one of the poster listed this as well

I'm going through the list right now.... some of the highlights (besides the cars already mentioned here) include:

- 3 Alfa Romeo Milanos

- Over 50 AMC Eagles

- 6 1984 - 1991 Audi Coupe GT and Quattro

- 4 Audi S4's and 4 S6's

- 45 BMW 6 Series

- 1 M3, 1 M5, and 1 Z3

- 1 CCC Engineering Duntov GT

- 52 Allantes

- A Few 1994 - 96 Impala SS

- at least 132 Corvettes

- at least 200 El Caminos

- 17 Chrysler Conquests (Mitsubishi Starion)

- 39 TC By Masarati

- 210 Stealths

- 1 Courier Pickup

- 24 Lightnings

- 107 Ford Taurus SHO

- 3 2007 GMC Acadias

- 15 Isuzu Vehicross

- Jaguars.... that count astounds

- 9 Jaguar XJR

- 2 XK8, 23 XJS, 26 XJS Cvt,

- A Boatload of Grand Wagoneers, and J10/20 Pickups

- 3 Laforzas

- You don't want to now the number of RX-7 and RX-8's

- 26 Merkur Scorpios, 21 XR4Ti's

- 20 Mitsubishi 3000 GT Spyders

- 5 Starions

- 1 2006 350Z Roadster

- 1 2006 Altima Coupe

- 22 Peugeots

- 61 Fieros

- 1 TVR 280i

- 310 Toyota Supras

:nono:

Even high miles and beat to death, I STILL don't understand how vehicles a few year's old--and not cheap SUV's to boot--ended up getting turned in. Either the people were stupid, and couldn't understand the $4500 credit ONLY, or something...it just doesn't make sense at all...

Was it verified that every single one of these vehicles were destroyed? There's a loophole in the C4C program that allows for a person to buy a traded in vehicle if they offer more than the government pays before the claim is submitted. At least one GMC Syclone was documented to have been saved this way, and I'd be willing to bet that if somebody saw a Bentley, Aston Martin, 8-series BMW, or Buick GNX pass through the line that at least SOME of them were bought by dealership employees in the know.

I am willing to bet that a lot of these rare cars were turned in at a Dodge dealer for the Double Money...Chrysler was offering DOUBLE the CARS money on it's cars. Still, the list is disgusting to say the least.

I am going to be sick to say the least. 45 Less 6-series, the M cars and 132 Corvettes also astounds.

So many of my dream cars are gone and I PAID FOR IT!

Was it verified that every single one of these vehicles were destroyed? There's a loophole in the C4C program that allows for a person to buy a traded in vehicle if they offer more than the government pays before the claim is submitted. At least one GMC Syclone was documented to have been saved this way, and I'd be willing to bet that if somebody saw a Bentley, Aston Martin, 8-series BMW, or Buick GNX pass through the line that at least SOME of them were bought by dealership employees in the know.

one can only hope xp

Also, I just skimmed the cars.gov official list and it appears as though there are numerous errors in the list, and some of the types of vehicles may be listed twice. For example, they have the 1991 V1500 (full-size) Blazer in two different places on the list, once at 89 units and once at 12 units. So did they take 89, or 12, or 89 + 12 which equals 101? Things like that make me think (hope) that some vehicles in question may have been miscounted or misrepresented. After all, this IS the government we're talking about.

If one were to buy a car back from the Gov. how would they know how much to charge that was only a credit and no one has done this yrs taxes yet. Also ChryCo's match would effectively have been the Gov.'s money and then you could've paid $9k+ to get that car. The program was rubbish and ill thought then mismanaged all at the expence of future sales & as said before at a cost to even my 14mo old granddaughter.. :nono:

This list just strikes me as a little bogus.

First of all, by some accounts a 2008 Scion xD was traded in under the program. A car has to get less than 18 MPG to qualify, this car obviously doesn't qualify.

Other than the Chryco double cash deal, there is another trick around here used to clunk cars. Say you own a Mustang GT convertible, a Wrangler, a Z71 Extended cab, or whatever. Say it's worth 6500 wholesale and 8500 retail.

Dealers would call salvage yards, agree to sell them the car with the clunked motor for say $1500 or so. They would then give the buyer $1500 on the bottom line in addition to the $4500, and eat $500 to make a sale. All of a sudden a $6500 car gets clunked.

I would bet that's what happened to a lot of the more desireable stuff. High mileage or Katrina car or whatever, a lot of these vehicles bring real money as parts, esp. cars like Mustangs, Wranglers, 4 WD trucks, etc.

Also...a lot of cars that got clunked needed to be clunked. I know some of the sales staff at the Mazda dealer where we hold our Miata club meetings, and got to talking to the guys before one of our meetings while CFC was going on. A LOT of what looked good was really pretty rough. For instance...the nice Mustang GT ragtop they took in previously belonged to a Columbus Police officer. It was badly damaged in an accident and never drove or rode right after the repair. Car was unsafe, and rather than sue the bodyshop and trying to refix an bodged car it was easier to just clunk it and get a new one.

One of the nice fullsize Z71 trucks they clunked was a former flood victim, a seemingly nice Jeep they took in had major main bearing problems and high miles, etc.

That's not saying I'm glad to see cars die...the Mazda dealer also had a fullsize Bronco (like Oj's) with a 5" lift, new 35" BF Goodrich All terrains, a new paint job, lots of extra chrome, a perfect interior, etc. Guy trading it just wanted a family car so he clunked it for a Mazda 3. And I'm sure an equally nice Blazer died somewhere.

That being said, several RX-7's died locally...but most were pretty gone. One of them would ahve been a parts car even if it had been a 68 SS 396 Camaro ragtop, car was that far gone. And no, I'm not happy that 373 or so RX-7's died, but a lot of them that I saw were pretty trashed.

Just my two cents.

And I still doubt a real GNX died.

Chris

Almost 3000 Oldsmobile Auroras died in Cash For Clunkers. :thumbsdown: 3 2007 GMC Acadias WTF!?

That is amazingly sad, and two of the local ones (the White one at the Lexus dealer and the maroon one at the Toyota dealer out by Brice Road) were in really, really great shape.

Silver one that Toyota West clunked was decent as well.

Chris

That happened quite a bit around here. a really nice Mercury Grand Marquis, a nice Barn door Suburban 4WD (nice dark blue) and a Grand Cherokee wound up out of the clunker line and into the wholesale line at a local Hyundai dealer.

I know of a couple of El Camino's that were saved in this way also.

Chris

Actually, im sure about the whole guide lines being true because I was extremely close to trading the vibe in for a cobalt xfe. and the dealer ship said it qualified. And trust me its no worth anything over $500. and that's the cost of the tires.