When did your love affair start?

Munson05

For me I was about 11 years old when my brother Andy Brought home his 1967 rs ss Camaro ( 327 ) Hide aways and all. It was Gold with black interior. Just one look and I was done. Thats was 20 years ago and im still as awestruck when I see these cars. At 20 I found my Camaro. At the time i had a 69 it was 3 different colors but it had a worked 350 so I was happy. Any way I worked at a Deli here in Bellmore Long Island and the kid from the video store in the shopping center had a Black 69 Camaro ( 327 ) in real nice shape, anyway every night we wind up at the same stop light (due to the stores closing around the same time) I would taunt him every night. He would never race me ever, this car was babied. One day he walked in the the Deli and told me it was for sale for 7 grand, At the time I was only 20 so that was a lot of money then but I sold my 69 for $1500 (looking back I think I was nuts ) and took all my savings to the Kids house. I got the car for $6200 and at the time my brother thought I was nuts. We still laugh about finding that deal today.Well its been 11 years and the car is right in my garage where it will be for the rest of my life. I have to admit when I saw the leaked pictures I felt like I was 11 all over again. P.S. My brother sold the RS for $1800 DOH!!!!!!!!! Hey to most people it was just a car then..

I immigrated to the states wiht my family form Slovakia at the age of 8 durring the twilight years of communism.

After having grown up with tiny, underpowered, super-economical unsporty cars the streets of Boston were littered with Suepr cars. Low slung Camaros, Corvettes & Firebirds were like some kind of boyhood fantasy come true. T-tops, loud exhaust notes & the promisse of a V8 under the hood became the ultimate.

A few years later through magazines like Hot Rod & Car Craft I discovered that back in the '60s cars looked even better than in the 80s. And they were faster, quicker, louder, sexier, less inhibited and bolder... it only took a few glances at a carshow & in a magazine for me to become a muscle car fan.

Above all else I loved F-bodys. I remember telling myslef as I stared at a '68 Camaro: someday I WILL have one! Later I decided '69 was the ultimate year but a '68 happened to come along I could not resist and the rest is history. :)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/ssil...ARCRAFT2004.jpg

Almost forgot Munson: please do post pictures!!!

The first car I ever knew the name of was "Camaro" I didnt even know what one looked like, but I knew its name. Then, when I finally saw one (a red '91 Z28), I never forgot it and fell in love with them. I loved all Camaros and Firebirds I saw, especially after learning that my dad's first car and many others were Camaros. When we went to look for a car for me, I turned down any non-Camaro. I ALMOST got an SS, but my dad said it looked like it was in an accident before, so when we found the one I have now, my dad fell in love. We took a test drive and he thought it was peppy for a six, so we bought it!

Someday when you win the lottery you can pull out that sweet faithful 3800 and throw in a 572 crate and twin turbo it. :metal: Take on anything short of a Veyron!

Someday when you win the lottery you can pull out that sweet faithful 3800 and throw in a 572 crate and twin turbo it. :metal:

Take on anything short of a Veyron!

[post="65038"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

haha NO ROOM whatsoever for a TT on a 572, let alone a 3800. There's room with the 3.8, but hardly enough.

After building the motor (I have almost 1/3 of the money so far), I'll turbo it. Then I'll think about adding another.

The Camaro was the car that got me loving GM. It was my car. Im 20, so I still havent owned one, but I will. I will own two. Anyway, here is how I got started on the Camaro and GM... I was 8. We would go to the park every once in a while, my family and me, and go hang out with family members and what not or have barbecues. It was during one of these days that I saw it. I had never noticed cars before, and never gave them a second glance, which was why I found it odd that this particular car just caught my eye. I'd never mentioned cars before, and never mentioned that I liked any particular car. But I was in the back seat, and we were driving behind a teal 1994 Camaro Z-28. It turned into a parking lot, and out of nowhere I just pointed it out and said "Thats my car." Which was a little wierd considering I'd never said that before, about any car. But since that day, I've always had a fascination with Camaro's, and striving one day to own one. Then I saw the pictures of the new Camaro concept that were leaked...and it will be my car if it makes production. I dont care how, but Ill make that car my car. End story.

I have my dad's '87 IROC to thank for my love of Camaros. I remember taking rides and asking him to floor it! I thought it was so cool when he would start it up and the car would rumble and shake (in a good way). I loved the dished 5-spoke wheels, the guage cluster, the IROC badge on the dash, the deep set headlights...

I've been a Mustang fan ever since childhood, but have long liked Camaros as well...probably my first strong Camaro experiences were riding in my brother's '68 SS 396 when I was a teenager in the '80s---loud, raw, fast, scary. I've driven it a few times since then--a pretty memorable car. Muscle cars of that era are soo different than the smooth, refined cars of today...very special in their own way.

My love affair started back in 1992, when my Dad and I went to a car show in town. I was hall-bent on owning a '67 Corvette....nothing could change my mind.... Then I saw her. A 1969 Camaro SS...Red with Black Racing stripes. Beautiful. As soon as I saw her, my mind was changed. A few years later, as my Dad and I were talking about what car I should get when I got my liscence, we happened to pass a hill-top in Johnston County...and there sat a White with Orange Stripes 1969 Camaro. The price-tag...only $4200. We brought her home, and began the work of getting her ready. She needed a new tranny, a LOT of new wiring, and a good ol' tune-up. The 327 was freshened up as best as we could afford, and we had her painted (twice). Left her the same colors, which had grown on me. Mustang after Mustang after Mustang has fallen behind her over the years....so have many an import, and some cars that I don't know how I've beaten, but I did. She and I have had some good runs. We didn't win them all, but we've come out on top more often than not. Now, 2 fender-benders and another restoration later, it's time to start a frame-off restoration of my baby girl. She'll be restored as close to original as I can stand...she'll be red (the original color), but it won't be a Garnet Red. She'll have white upholstery (although it's now Houndstooth). She'll have e powerful V-8 (however, if the numbers don't match on the 327, it'll be MUCH more powerful). Now, witht he (potential) 2009 Camaro coming out, I have one more promise to keep to my wife... I told her, seeing as how I already have a Camaro, when they bring it back, the next one is hers. So, the love affair lives, and it's claimed a new member.

Too young to drive, I fell in love with a bright yellow '69 show car... My first was a '76, followed by an '85 firebird, 92 Z28 (5.0, 5speed) and finally '69 Z28 look-alike... hugger orange with the white rally stripes, and a killer motor from 70 vette. Still in love with gen1, and also loving the concept.

My dad has a '71 Camaro. It's hard to believe that it's been around 35 years, almost as old as I am. For the last 10 years or so, it's been sitting in the garage, awaiting work. Because our family had a Camaro, it was one of my favorite cars, and what I wanted when I started to drive (though it had to be a new one), but there was always that insurance problem and my dad having a problem with me having a too powerful vehicle. My dream car at the time was a black '85 IROC-Z. One of my buddies had an '84 Trans Am, and I wanted a car that could run with it. In hindsight, it's probably good that I didn't have a 200+ hp car as a teenager, but I did use up every of the 110 hp in my GMC pickup and 113 hp in my Integra. After being enticed into the world of imports, I lost interest in overly large, rattly, low-slung cars. However, the Camaro concept has definitely reawakened my interest in Camaros, and I would certainly consider getting a new one.

• 1 month later...
Picked up the ring and im about to get engaged in my 69 Camaro. For one its for sentimental reason, but theres more. I figure if we get engaged in the car she will never ask me to sell it, also it increases the chances of her having it restored for me in the future. Its also incentive for me not to cheat because if i did she would burn my dream to the ground or take a bat to it. I plan to set out nextweek on a cruise to where we had our first date and I amgoing to have signs hung on poles along the route a few of them like the old burma shave ads with the last one asking her to marry me. I know its kind of gay but shell dig it. another step in my life the car was there for.

I blame my brother for my love of Camaros. The day he asked me to move his '73 for him and then let me drive it while we were at a classic show got me hooked. That was the first time John had ever trusted me with driving one of his classics. He's very protective of them. We now have my wife's 87 IROC-Z, my 95 Z/28, and our 99 Z/28. We have also had another 87 IROC, a 73 project car, an 82 Indy Pace car, and a 90 RS convertible. We are currently looking at a 68. Yep, I am hooked.

It must have all started for me on Sept 26th 1966. The day I was born and the same day that GM itroduced the all new Camaro. I saw the Camaro's at Watkins Glenn when I was a small boy and loved the white Owens Corning Camaro's. I wanted one for my 16th Birthday but my dad bought me a Book called Camaro "16 years of super cars". I ended up with a 70 chevelle but I still loved Camaro's and wanted one someday. 1987 my brother bought a brand new 87 IROC 350 and he let me drive it around town that night. I raced and beat many 5.0 liter Mustangs and thats when I had to have my own Camaro and that was 4 Camaro's ago. Now I rub fenders with Mustangs on the Road course and I WILL be the first NASA "American Iron" racer with a 5th gen. Edited by Raybob9289

I have never had a 'love affair' with the 'maro. I grew up to be a 3rd generation multiple Pontiac owner, and even tho that never included a Firebird, I would prefer a Firebird (esp 1st gen) immensely over a Camaro, which are great cars but far too common for my tastes. My brother has owned his '68 Firebird for about 10 years now- the F-Body has fantastic lines. About 3 years ago I sat in a '71 T/A for a while one day- even tired & beat it sucked me in with it's appeal; I could own a 2nd gen, too... but again it would have to be a Pontiac over a Chevy.

I have never had a 'love affair' with the 'maro. I grew up to be a 3rd generation multiple Pontiac owner, and even tho that never included a Firebird, I would prefer a Firebird (esp 1st gen) immensely over a Camaro, which are great cars but far too common for my tastes.
My brother has owned his '68 Firebird for about 10 years now- the F-Body has fantastic lines. About 3 years ago I sat in a '71 T/A for a while one day- even tired & beat it sucked me in with it's appeal; I could own a 2nd gen, too... but again it would have to be a Pontiac over a Chevy.

[post="105471"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

f body basically the same thing pontiac or chevy still awesome. hopefully the 2 come back to life together Trans am Camaro meant to be

f body basically the same thing....

I would respectfully disagree. A Pontiac engine underhood makes all the difference in the world to legions of fans. Add in mostly unique sheetmetal, interior & suspension and they (1st gen) are not what should be called 'basically the same'.

[quote name='balthazar' date='Mar 11 2006, 03:19 AM']
[quote=Munson05]f body basically the same thing....[/quote]
I would respectfully disagree. A Pontiac engine underhood makes all the difference in the world to legions of fans. Add in mostly unique sheetmetal, interior & suspension and they (1st gen) are not what should be called 'basically the same'.

[post="105507"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[/quote I think in 82 they were all just GM drivetrain but im not sure, I know the 3 gens were pretty much the same car. Im a Camaro guy but I still dig the TAs good point though

The early Firebirds did of course have their own powertrains and that made them truly different. By 82 though, both F-Bodies shared the same engines and it was styling alone that sepatated them. Except of course for the 89 turbo Trans Am.

:thumbsup: 1977...Burt Reynolds and Sally Field in a Black on black t-top Firebird Trans Am...I was 6. As soon as the bandit fired up that T/A in Snowman's truck -I was in love! My best friend's mom had a 76 Camaro that we would play 'bandit' and I think I wore my throat raw mimicking the sound of that small block under the hood. I never will forget sitting in a '79 Bandit Edition in the Pontiac showroom in Huntington Beach, CA and touching every inch of that beautiful car...still lust after one...have come close a few times since... Fast Forward to 1984 - my dad picks me up in a brand new Berlinetta - Black over Black ( no t-tops ) and it was love all over again! A year later I had my learner's permit and that Camaro became the first car I ever drove over 20 miles an hour...When I turned 16 I was offered a '67 RS 327 auto Convert...that needed some work to get on the road again...but my parents shot me down, as $1200 was too much for a car that was not running right, and was too shabby to park at their house. So that was passed on...so was a Stage 1 GS Buick with the GSX package in the rare white over black combo in about the same - or better - shape for a whopping $1475. Ended up with a :censored: Honda Accord hatchback POS...but at least I could still drive dad's berlinetta - which by this time had a racecraft suspension, ful IROC ground effects and polished Crager PRO-tech wheels on her. Handled like a go-cart, and the digital interior in those cars was so far ahead of their time it was pathetic...Never drove the car without a compliment... I finally owned my first Camaro in 1991 - when I traded a 1985 Eldorado Bairitz that I had for 13 days for an 85 Berlinetta T-top 5.0 Auto - and they gave me money and the Camaro!!! I loved that Camaro so much - I wish I still had her...

it actually all started with a different car... a corvette... i had always liked the look of a corvette... but when i was younger... i figured it wuz a new car that had no history... as i got older.. i saw the older ones... i immediately was drawn to the C3... i love that car... still do to this day (69 L88 please... haha)... but anyway... all of a sudden i realized that classic cars were far more appealing to my taste than most modern ones... i went from vette to GTO and then i found the f-bodies... it was the trans am first... uncovered while looking through a Pontiac history website for GTO stuff... and then i saw the camaro... i was in love with the f-bodies immediately and not too long ago i saw a camaro that will forever cement it as one of my favorite cars ever... it was a 1969 ZL1 replica... someone took a stock camaro and stuck a new engine in it and then put a bigger cowl hood to make room... but the car itself was tuxedo black... with a deep red interior... when i first saw it my jaw dropped at the sheer beauty of the car... my mouth was open for a solid 5 minutes as i just stared at it... looking at every line... every gorgeous curve... and that... is my camaro love affair story Edited by 04monteintimidator

When I turned 16  I was offered a '67 RS 327 auto Convert...that needed some work to get on the road again...but my parents shot me down, as $1200 was too much for a car that was not running right, and was too shabby to park at their house.  So that was passed on...so was a Stage 1 GS Buick with the GSX package in the rare white over black combo in about the same - or better - shape for a whopping $1475. 

You had to pass up both a 67 RS convertible and a GS Stage 1?????
Think about what both of those cost now, even in bad shape. :hissyfit:

• 4 weeks later...

Munson, where was the picture of the GTO taken?  It looks oddly familiar...

[post="117855"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

St Johns Campus in Suffolk county Long Island,

I've always loved cars, (according to my mother from the moment of my birth) and Camaro has always been part of it. The first one to really grab me was a 69 RS/SS in green w/ white hockey stripes. I was a little kid at the time and we drove past where it was parked almost every day. I couldn't tear my eyes away from it. Then there is the '67 RS/SS convertible (white/black top) that lived at a local tire shop and was always kept perfectly clean. That car was there for at least 25 years and rarely left the shelter of its garage bay. I don't know where it is today. I have only ever owned one Camaro (70 RS/SS) but I have been tempted many times. In high school, my obsession was the then new 10th ann. T/A I used to go to the local Pontiac dealer and just stare at the car. Of course, El Caminos are my strongest obsession, but the F-body bug has always been there. When I read about the '91 Firehawk, I wanted one soooo badly. Fast forward to '99 when I spot an unusual looking Formula on a Pontiac lot. I pulled a U-turn to check it out and, of course, it was a Firehawk. From that moment on, the F-body bug sank its teeth. A very long story later, I ended up with the last Firehawk to ever be built. A camaro in my future? Entirely possible.