How I'm seeing things

Camino LS6

I'm thinking that it will be at least a few more years before GM builds anything that I just can't resist. So, after I clear the decks and unload my current fleet of projects, I'm guessing that I'll go after at least one more "fun" car of recent vintage before a new one is likely.

The thing is, I have no idea what it will be. I'm not talking about a classic or project car - just something fairly new and low-mileage that I will enjoy driving when I don't have to drive the truck.

Another GTO might work, but I'm not married to that idea.

So what do you think would make me grin from the used market in about a year and a half from now?

It will be an odd sort of purchase for me, I usually buy either brand new or really old.

Any thoughts on how the pricing might shake out for the list in about a year and a half?

(All candidates would be low-mile, high option, and manual)

Edited by Camino LS6

Ideas I would have...

Mustang Mach 1, the 2002-2003 bodystyle Mach's. Neat, kind of retro interior, shaker, one of the few modern Mustangs that I like.

An 80's El Camino, High option, with a manual conversion. Not modern, but would be cool.

Not your thing, but you could get an RX-8. Not much tourque, but priced right and a real drivers car. You may want to drive one just for the heck of it.

Get a C5 Z06. An animal of a car, affordable, almost guaranteed not to drop in value.

Of the above, my choice for you would be the stang. The Mustang interior is a huge letdown over the GTO, but it is also more involving than the GTO to drive. Plus, lots of aftermarket stuff available for the 'stang.

Plus the Mustang Mach is another limited production car like the Z06 that will probably not go down to zero value.

Only other thing I would reccomend, please don't be offended...would be an Impala SS from the 90's. Mind bendlingly comfortable, plenty of performance potential, bargain priced, great resale, lots of things can be done with the LT-1, great highway fuel economy, etc.

Oh, and when you get a Mach or a C5 Z06, be sure to check out the Philly region of the SCCA. Lots of fun ways to actually make those go fast and have fun...

Chris

Oh, and another car to consider, priced right and fast-LT1 C4 Corvette.

Lots of aftermarket stuff, run great at local autocrosses and track days, affordable, decent looking. Interior tends to be a little (or a lot) on the cheap side, but a very responsive touring car.

Buying a car like that for say 9K could free up a lot of funds for New Hamshire.

Beating on that car like a red headed step child could free up a lot of the Camino blahs.

The view through the windscreen at 130 MPH is impressive. These cars look great as Corvette Cheallenge cars at Vintage races. (although the challenge cars were not the LT-1 cars.)

Also...Buick Grand National. Prices are way back down, a 100k mile decent car could be had for about 6K-7K if you look, and...can be beaten on like nothing doing 1/4 mile at a time.

But I like the Mustang and the vette best for you.

Best buy-one of the limited edition 96 Grand Sport Coupes. Affordable, and John Heinricey thinks enough of it to have one in his personal fleet. In fact it is one of his fav. cars.

Chris

...and while your out looking at cars, also check out an E-36 BMW M3. (1990'1 stylke M3) Not as much of a pure animal as the E-30 M3, but a very involving and fast car to dirve. And cheap. And did I mention cheap?

But you have a lot of projects and ideas, so I still like the Stang and Vette best.

Chris

...and while your out looking at cars, also check out an E-36 BMW M3. (1990'1 stylke M3) Not as much of a pure animal as the E-30 M3, but a very involving and fast car to dirve. And cheap. And did I mention cheap?

But you have a lot of projects and ideas, so I still like the Stang and Vette best.

Chris

This would be a post-project item down the road a ways.

An LT-4 Vette would be a decent option, but I hate the Gran Sport look.

If I'm dipping into the 90s, this would work: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polo-Green-...d=p4506.c0.m245

Camino...good looking car but wrong car IMHO.

You want a 94-96 Manual LT-1 car with 50,000 miles or so. Your buying this car to drive hard, right??? Drive it like you stole it from a rental company, preferably IMHO at a track event.

Think of this car as a GT car...in terms of "grand touring" In essence your buying this thing to use up, not to show off to your buddies or feel good about it's rarity.

Your going to drive this car all over the place and when you sell it it's going to have 150K on the Odo, and a fair number of those miles are going to be 1/4 of a mile at a time or over 100 MPH.

Just my two cents.

Chris

Well, it would be an evenings and weekends sort of car - a driver, but not super long term and not too many miles per year. Not a garage queen, but a nice days and open roads kinda thing.

Not sure about track or strip: that might change my thinking more toward what you describe.

I was seeing it like a saw the GTO: driven pretty hard to put the big smile on my face, but not every day.

I think the daily driver will always be a truck.

Edited by Camino LS6

...and while your out looking at cars, also check out an E-36 BMW M3. (1990'1 style M3) Not as much of a pure animal as the E-30 M3, but a very involving and fast car to dirve. And cheap. And did I mention cheap?

Chris

+1

I still miss mine..it was a lot of fun while I had it..I unloaded it as it was getting to point where it was going to start being pricey to maintain and I didn't want it sitting outside or sitting too much period. Wouldn't mind having another M3 someday, probably an E46--last of the 6 cylinder M3s.

Rob

If you go the SSR route hit up a 2006 model. stupid low numbers for that year. i think around 8000, closer to 6500 i think though.

95 ZR-1 would be sweet but just like chris said, the breed of the car is what thats for but you wouldnt want to flog one routinely... especially when it comes to engine repair on the LT5 yikes...

if you are looking project car i always like looking here and wondering

huge potential, other than no resale value, a possible cheap custom ride could be the future.

What are the requirements (besides two doors and fun to drive)? Anything?

I've recommended it before: Porsche Cayman S. You can get 2007's for $40k or a little less with ~20k miles on them. $40k seems like a lot, but consider that they cost $70k or thereabouts new. Also, basically every review says it's the best handling car you can buy that doesn't cost at least $150K.

Challenger with the 6 speed. Good looks, especially in RT and SRT form, sort of plain jane interior but functional, and I'm a sucker for the full width tailamps and general f@#k you the car gives to people who complain about lift over height. As is the case with the original Challenger it is more rare than a Camaro or Mustang ( a bonus in my book) I prefer being different than every other "gear head". Best of all you could get an '09 RT for a great price and with Chrysler's general lack of sales I'm sure you could get them down even further.

Edit not to step on any toes, but I'm not a fan of the new censoring here, at least in the lounge which is members only.

Edited by Delta Force79

I'd call this one wide open at this point - lots of time before it happens.

Except in the case of the G8 GXP, the requirements are:

RWD

2 doors

manual

fun

good styling

most likely a V8

Much will likely depend upon what's around when I'm ready, and the individual car itself.

Sometimes a particular example just shines beyond its type.

If you go the SSR route hit up a 2006 model. stupid low numbers for that year. i think around 8000, closer to 6500 i think though.

95 ZR-1 would be sweet but just like chris said, the breed of the car is what thats for but you wouldnt want to flog one routinely... especially when it comes to engine repair on the LT5 yikes...

if you are looking project car i always like looking here and wondering

huge potential, other than no resale value, a possible cheap custom ride could be the future.

I would seriously consider the right repairable this go-round.

i know this probably doesn't float your boat, but i was looking up used chrysler crossfires on line last night.

that had a couple SRT-6 manual ones. 2 seats RWD 330hp. Rare, different.

I'm guessing its not your cup of tea though. You'd all be amazed how many LOW MILEAGE crossfires are out there in the sytem. i was fixated on a gold coupe with stick and there was an alabaster one that caught my eye too. thing is, most of these rides are 20k and below, not a lot of investment. Maybe you could find an SRT-6 for a project car and find a way to hit 400hp? I honestly myself would look at Crossfires before a solstice or a sky.

i know this probably doesn't float your boat, but i was looking up used chrysler crossfires on line last night.

that had a couple SRT-6 manual ones. 2 seats RWD 330hp. Rare, different.

I'm guessing its not your cup of tea though. You'd all be amazed how many LOW MILEAGE crossfires are out there in the sytem. i was fixated on a gold coupe with stick and there was an alabaster one that caught my eye too. thing is, most of these rides are 20k and below, not a lot of investment. Maybe you could find an SRT-6 for a project car and find a way to hit 400hp? I honestly myself would look at Crossfires before a solstice or a sky.

Crossfire is an interesting car, what with the Chrysler-MB hybrid nature, and the eclectic styling..kind of a love it or hate it thing...I really like the profile of the coupe...long nose, short, curved rear.

What are the requirements (besides two doors and fun to drive)? Anything? I've recommended it before: Porsche Cayman S. You can get 2007's for $40k or a little less with ~20k miles on them. $40k seems like a lot, but consider that they cost $70k or thereabouts new. Also, basically every review says it's the best handling car you can buy that doesn't cost at least $150K.

Or a Boxster...

Chris

My choices would be: Another GTO 350Z G35 coupe 911 turbo Cayman Lotus Espirit if you could find one Or if you want something older, a 300ZX turbo

G35 Coupe would be good also...

Chris

i know this probably doesn't float your boat, but i was looking up used chrysler crossfires on line last night. that had a couple SRT-6 manual ones. 2 seats RWD 330hp. Rare, different. I'm guessing its not your cup of tea though. You'd all be amazed how many LOW MILEAGE crossfires are out there in the sytem. i was fixated on a gold coupe with stick and there was an alabaster one that caught my eye too. thing is, most of these rides are 20k and below, not a lot of investment. Maybe you could find an SRT-6 for a project car and find a way to hit 400hp? I honestly myself would look at Crossfires before a solstice or a sky.

I hate to admit it, but I love the Crossfire myself...

Chris

My choices would be:

Another GTO

350Z

G35 coupe

911 turbo

Cayman

Lotus Espirit if you could find one

Or if you want something older, a 300ZX turbo

Another GTO is certainly a possibility, as for the rest of your list I just don't think so. I'd love a 911, but the price makes it unrealistic and the Cayman is an "almost" for me - no way on the rest.

Reg: Crossfire is interesting and unique, but would be a dark horse in this race.

I would seriously consider the right repairable this go-round.

The car in question is an auto...but damn...the bags aren't even blown.

I know a couple of guys with frame racks that do really good work. Might be able to bribe them with beer or Electrical work.

Give me a call if you need one pulled back straight.

Chris

Reading back over the list...if your not going to track it or autocross it, methinks GTO might be just the thing.

The GTO is the best 'road car" and the best interior of anything on the list.

It also would be a good "date car" if you want a partner for the ride once in awhile.

Chris

Sorry for the post slut but...consider a GTO in maroon.

We have a Maroon GTO that lives around the corner from us. AWESOME car.

Just my two cents.

Chris

If you're looking for a bargain that is fun and involving to drive I'd recoommend an early (2005-2006) S-197 Mustang GT. I've had my 05 GT for over a year and half and it's been a blast. Plenty of power, though it is higher strung then most small blocks, very good manual tranny even if it is only a 5 speed, and despite what people gripe about in regards to the SRA rear end it handles very well.

You can get them in good condition with resonable miles for 15k or sometime even less. If you want one newer with a few less miles its not a huge price difference.

Back when the GTO first came out the new for 05 stang GT, due to it's pretty low curb weight, ran right with an LS1 GTO despite "only" having 300hp to the LS1's 350.

Just make sure to get it with at least the 3.55 gear ratio if you go for it if you want to drive it hard (you could always upgrade it to 373 or 410 if you so desire though). These cars tend to be reliable as well.

My next car will be either a new 2011 Mustang GT with the 5.0 coyote v8 or the 2012 Boss edition. I still think the camaro is a hot car but it just looks a little cartoonish and the new mustang, besides having a worlds better interior, is all around an easier car to live with.

On another note I've driven both a new 2010 Comaro SS and 2010 Mustang GT with the carryover drivetrain. Camaro has gobs of torque and undoubtedly the better drivline, though not by as much as I would have though, but the mustang drove better and more smoothly (the Camaro's weight hurts it.) I can't wait to see what the 2011 GT can do when it has only 22 less hp and a much better power to weight ratio then the camaro.