Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

A Letter from Disgruntled Chevy Camaro Owner

Z-06

[source: General Motors]

A Letter From a Disgruntled Camaro Owner

October 23, 2009

We receive quite a few letters from customers over here at Chevrolet. Some are good, and some offer "constructive criticism." Normally we don't publish them, but we really felt a need to share this letter. The author, Roger B., gave us permission to share portions of the letter about his 2010 Camaro.

- Adam Denison, Chevrolet Communications

I just have way too many problems with this car. Let's start with the exterior: 1. The styling is too aggressive.

I'm a pretty passive person by nature and I don't want the personality of this car to project onto me. The front looks like a snarling animal ready to pounce. Scary.

2. The paint is too shiny.

I spent last Saturday applying ZAINO to the car and I must have done it wrong because I can't even tell what color it is anymore (Victory Red, BTW). All I can see is shine and reflection.

3. It's too sexy.

What with the curves and hips that the body features I'm starting to have feelings about this car that no Christian man should have. I haven't looked it up but I'm pretty sure it's a sin.

Now about the interior:

1. The seat fits too well.

I think Oshawans must have busted into my house while I was sleeping and measured my butt because the driver's seat feels like it was made for my body. Creepy.

2. The audio system is too loud.

I can't even have a decent conversation with my wife because the audio system is always blaring Classic Rock and we're singing at the top of our lungs. That can't be good for marital relations.

On to performance problems:

1. They gave me the wrong motor.

When I ordered the 1LT several "friends" intimated that I was a wuss for not getting the V8. The V6 is a "woman's car". (I'm sure they meant no offense...) I think the Oshawans seriously screwed up and gave me the V8 because this thing is way too fast for a V6. It practically LEAPS when I step on the gas.

2. There's no indication of excessive speed.

I'm used to a car shaking like a gypsy wagon (pots and pans clanging, dead chickens swinging) when I approach 70 mph but this thing is way too smooth. I'm just casually driving, happen to look down and, to my understandable HORROR, I'm doing 85! Smooth as air hockey. That CAN'T be good.

Finally - general overall problems:

1. The odometer must be WAY off.

There's no way I've put that many miles on it already. Just because I drive 45 miles round trip over twisty-turny country roads to get a hamburger, it shouldn't add up THAT fast. 110 miles round trip for a Chipotle burrito shouldn't be excessive. And don't even get me going about a T-Bone steak!

2. I'm unable to keep up with my TV watching.

I don't know what I'm going to do when 24 starts up again.

3. I hate letting it out of my sight.

I find myself parking 6 miles away from store entrances (after letting the wife out at the door - I'm not a caveman...) because I'm deathly afraid some crazy, loony, Charlie Manson looking nut-job will give me a door ding. I'm seriously angry if a butterfly farts on my car. I don't think my heart can take the stress.

4. People keep LOOKING at me.

I feel like I'm in a July 4th parade! I really can't stand all the attention. My smile muscles hurt and my right thumb is going to be in a cast at this rate. Who needs that?

So, as you can see, I have no choice but to return the Camaro since I can't imagine any of these problems ever being resolved.

Oh wait - CRAP! I just remembered... I sold my 60 day return policy back to the dealer for $500. Well, I guess I'll just have to live with it. Maybe it will grow on me.

Signed - Roger B.

His next complaint will be too much power in the Z28.

Any catch the new Z over at Autoblog? They are hiding the new Z in public at the SEMA show.

It all look as discribed to me last spring. The only detail I am not sure of is the [vents?] in the hood. The wheels and nose are correct from what I was told to expect.

Not sure on the engine HP but I would expect it to be the same as the CTS V or under rated just for show.

Any catch the new Z over at Autoblog? They are hiding the new Z in public at the SEMA show.

It all look as discribed to me last spring. The only detail I am not sure of is the [vents?] in the hood. The wheels and nose are correct from what I was told to expect.

Not sure on the engine HP but I would expect it to be the same as the CTS V or under rated just for show.

Not the Z, it's a twin turbo V6...

Don't know yet.

But the car has styling cues that could easily be Z/28 derived, I'd bet we know more within 24hrs.

The 2.8TT will not make sense as it is already on sale, and gaining only 50 odd hp will not be something to brag about. The 3.0L TT is a possibility. I am guessing 3.6TT for only reason that will make the people who bought the V-6 Camaro crave to build off the turbos.

Don't know yet.

But the car has styling cues that could easily be Z/28 derived, I'd bet we know more within 24hrs.

This is the Z/28 less the hood as discribed to me by some one last spring who has seen one.

The best example is I was told look to the Trasformer 2 Bumble Bee and change the wheels. You then would pretty much have the 98% Z/28. The front bumper on the Movie car was the Z.

As for this car I could not see or have read about the engine. The Twin Turbo make sense for the hood and will make more sense for the future. I expect we will see this kind of an engine in the future at some point.

That's the Jay Leno TT V6 concept. Pretty cool car.

That's the Jay Leno TT V6 concept. Pretty cool car.

Saw that posted today by GM.

I just get the feeling we will see a V6 Tubo soon slotted in just under the V8 in the next year or so.

Note GM said 425 HP with little MPG penalty. I think they are laying the ground work.

Saw that posted today by GM.

I just get the feeling we will see a V6 Tubo soon slotted in just under the V8 in the next year or so.

Note GM said 425 HP with little MPG penalty. I think they are laying the ground work.

i would prefer a TT 3.6 to the v8 any day personally.....i prefer cammy motors to 'grunters'

A V6 turbo wouldn't surprise me, but a twin turbo like this would.

Two small Turbo are just the best way to go to prevent lag and other issues while feeding a V6 or a V8. Yes it cost more but not like it used too. Who ever though we would see a 400 HP Turbo Taurus at $40,000.

I just see the future of the Camaro in a Alpha with a Turbo 6. Foird also is looking to do a Eco 6 Turbo for the stang. Unless it is 400 HP it will just not fly.