Having seen this car at the Detroit show, I think it looks better in person than in pics...and IMO the short wheelbase has better proportions. The interior looks fantastic in person...though we were not able to sit in it.

It is what Cadillac should be building...maybe edgier exterior styling...but the interior is what the STS should be.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an 8-speed auto is a cool idea and will prove for pretty good fuel economy but it makes Toyot - er, Lexus look like they're trying to up the ante on Mercedes.

Go ahead. Call it Toyota.. That only makes the competition cringe harder... At any cost, Lexus' are built in the most technologically advanced factories in the world - Toyotas are not... So they "are" different...

Edited by Sal Collaziano

Having seen this car at the Detroit show, I think it looks better in person than in pics...and IMO the short wheelbase has better proportions. The interior looks fantastic in person...though we were not able to sit in it.

It is what Cadillac should be building...maybe edgier exterior styling...but the interior is what the STS should be.

Thank you for the review.. And I agree on the interior - I wish Cadillac would go this route.. Instead, they're making BMW-like hard, cold interiors...

Imagine? Even Cadillac is chasing after "Toyota"... :rolleyes:

Thank you for the review.. And I agree on the interior - I wish Cadillac would go this route.. Instead, they're making BMW-like hard, cold interiors...

Imagine? Even Cadillac is chasing after "Toyota"... :rolleyes:

I agree 100%. Warm, luxurious interiors, as opposed to spartan, teutonic german style interiors.

I hate the interior design! the steering wheel is ugly, the center stack is ugly, the wood trim doesn't flow well and ends before the center stack.

The exterior is genuine Lexus blandness

Ooooh.. Ugly.....

Posted Image

Edited by Sal Collaziano

Guest YellowJacket894

Go ahead. Call it Toyota.. That only makes the competition cringe harder... At any cost, Lexus' are built in the most technologically advanced factories in the world - Toyotas are not... So they "are" different...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gimme a break. The cash flow to develop, design, and build that transmission is pure Toyota. From your post, it sounds like your saying that Lexus is its own company now.

Wake up and smell the white roses. Lexus is a expensive Toyota, BMW wannabe.

Uh... Don't know how to respond here...  :huh:

I think he's alluding to the fact that Lexus in a way is more of its own company. Ever since the new GS, Lexus cars have been just that: Lexus cars (not relabeled JDM Toyotas). They're still of Toyota but calling a new Lexus an expensive Toyota isn't particularly accurate these days.

Ooooh.. Ugly.....

Posted Image

My only problems with the interior (and one is easily solved), are the 1) shade of stain on the wood (not a fan of very dark stains), and 2) the way the wood on the dash meets up with the door panels. It just doesn't look like it lines up right.

Guest YellowJacket894

I think he's alluding to the fact that Lexus in a way is more of its own company. Ever since the new GS, Lexus cars have been just that: Lexus cars (not relabeled JDM Toyotas). They're still of Toyota but calling a new Lexus an expensive Toyota isn't particularly accurate these days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, that is 95 percent true. The ES, though, still is a Nip/Tuck version of the Camry; same goes for the RX330. It's just an expensive Highlander, really.

I won't deny I hate Toyota. So, usually, that hate blinds me telling the truth.

The dashboard is a slightly more adventurous design than the old model:

Posted Image

The center stack does seem to attract too much attention to itself, but having the NAV screen recessed like that is practical.

Wow, now looking at the old one... I didn't even realize how similar it was.

The Highlander is a cheaped out last-gen RX. The current one rides on a "new" platform, shared with the current Camry, I believe.

I believe they are all on the same platform (current Camry). The Highlander will be enlarged on the new Camry's platform and will compete with the Lambdas, hence why the Rav4 was enlarged this year. The Highlander will be the large crossover while the Rav4 will be the midsize. Eventually, everything on the current Camry platform will be remodeled onto the new Camry platform.

I believe they are all on the same platform (current Camry).  The Highlander will be enlarged on the new Camry's platform and will compete with the Lambdas, hence why the Rav4 was enlarged this year.  The Highlander will be the large crossover while the Rav4 will be the midsize.  Eventually, everything on the current Camry platform will be remodeled onto the new Camry platform.

The RX300 was first introduced in 1999, based on the 1997-2001 Camry platform. The Highlander, essentially a decontented '99-'03 RX300, was released in 2001 and continues, slightly updated, for 2006. The current RX330 was introduced in 2004, based on the all-new 2002+ Camry platform. The '07 Camry is an update on this platform.

As of now, there have been two generations of RXs, but only one generation of Highlanders.

Edited by empowah

Gimme a break. The cash flow to develop, design, and build that transmission is pure Toyota. From your post, it sounds like your saying that Lexus is its own company now.

Wake up and smell the white roses. Lexus is a expensive Toyota, BMW wannabe.

Paid for by Toyota but built differently. You have no point.

My only problems with the interior (and one is easily solved), are the 1) shade of stain on the wood (not a fan of very dark stains), and 2) the way the wood on the dash meets up with the door panels.  It just doesn't look like it lines up right.

You can get light wood.. Several colors, in fact.. And everything matches up. It's just the angle of the picture..

Why, WHY is it that topics that aren't GM based always go longer than GM topics. kinda weird

Because those of us who respect foreign cars like the Lexus LS460 are more adamant about having domestics become equal or better...

Well, that is 95 percent true. The ES, though, still is a Nip/Tuck version of the Camry; same goes for the RX330. It's just an expensive Highlander, really.

I won't deny I hate Toyota. So, usually, that hate blinds me telling the truth.

The truth will set you free.... don't be hatin'...it's a lousy way to go through life.

I have to laugh how people rag on Lexus for being a premium Toyota---well, isn't Cadillac a premium GM? Touche.

Edited by moltar

Jealous people called Lexus' Toyotas.. It's as simple as that. Unless it's just ignorance, and I'd rather not think that..

Its a fun retort for those of us who know the more uncouth, pretentious Lexus/Acura owners. I always made fun of someone my age who worked with me at my old job who had an Acura TL simply because he shoved it in everyone's face that, oooh, he had an Acura TL. I printed out an Accord TSB I found and put H stickers over his As for April Fool's.

Its a fun retort for those of us who know the more uncouth, pretentious Lexus/Acura owners. I always made fun of someone my age who worked with me at my old job who had an Acura TL simply because he shoved it in everyone's face that, oooh, he had an Acura TL. I printed out an Accord TSB I found and put H stickers over his As for April Fool's.

Even still...the TL and Accord share alot less than the ES and Camry do. At least Acura gives the TL its own distinctive engine.

You can get light wood.. Several colors, in fact.. And everything matches up. It's just the angle of the picture..

Oh, I'm aware of that. I love Lexus woods--there are several choices and the combos usually go well in my opinion. I like their saddle/antiqued walnut combo on the current LS.

I'm totally cool with that.. Nobody should "flaunt" their &#036;h&#33;. When you're fortunate, you should just feel lucky - you shouldn't rub it in anyone's face.. That being said, it's not nice to those who DO work very hard and have something "special" and never flaunt. Still, I see the point.. Understood..

Oh, I'm aware of that.  I love Lexus woods--there are several choices and the combos usually go well in my opinion.  I like their saddle/antiqued walnut combo on the current LS.

You know.. My Wife just handed me my Buick Lucerne catalog - it's FINALLY arrived in the mail just now.. Boy is this car nice.. If you like wood, there's two full-pages of the Buick wood in the catalog. :P I just thought I'd mentioned it. :)

I'm totally cool with that.. Nobody should "flaunt" their &#036;h&#33;. When you're fortunate, you should just feel lucky - you shouldn't rub it in anyone's face.. That being said, it's not nice to those who DO work very hard and have something "special" and never flaunt. Still, I see the point.. Understood..

I know a few people with imports I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole that love them to death and always brag of their passion for them - a notable difference from bragging to 'impress' - and I respect their passion fully. Not for me, but I understand it as I feel the same way for my car.

You know.. My Wife just handed me my Buick Lucerne catalog - it's FINALLY arrived in the mail just now.. Boy is this car nice.. If you like wood, there's two full-pages of the Buick wood in the catalog. :P I just thought I'd mentioned it. :)

But Sal, you know it's plastic?

I have to say though, if they could build faux wood that beautiful, why the hell didn't they put it in the LaCrosse?! I mean, it looks real!

Must Lexus put the same digital clock K-mart sells on clearance in EVERY car it builds?

Get some class. Contract with a nice watch maker and put a decent analog in there.

I'm sure Fly would recommend it be illuminated in "pea-green" :lol::lol:

I wonder if there will be five passenger seating too.

I'm sure they'll offer 5-passenger seating standard, and the "four passenger" with the power ottomans and other features as some sort of like "executive" or "ultra-luxury" package.

I'm sure they'll offer 5-passenger seating standard, and the "four passenger" with the power ottomans and other features as some sort of like "executive" or "ultra-luxury" package.

Yup, just like the outgoing Phaeton.

That's a shame... I actually liked the Phaeton.  In my opinion, it was a great car that no one took seriously.

I liked it quite a bit also...subtle, clean styling (great front end treatment, IMHO), beautiful interior... but then I look at the A8 which looks even better to me inside and out...

No! It is? :( Ahhh...

That's the exact reaction I had. It's like GM likes to talk the talk, but they don't always walk the walk.

Want to be luxury? You really need to have real wood in your flagship sedan.