• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen.  This is where i think the DTS should have gone. I understand there wasnt the investment capital for this but Caddy, take notes and exceed the mark.

Absolutely. Caddy still lacks a true entry for this segment. A new DTS would have been perfect. Maybe with the next gen?

Hate all you want, this car is going to be a winner. The interior has a lot of buttons (Bonneville drivers should feel at home) but they dont appear to be anything confusing. They're clearly marked, not like some GM models where you just get random initials on buttons and you have to go to the owner's manual to figure out what they hell they do.

Hate all you want, this car is going to be a winner.  The interior has a lot of buttons (Bonneville drivers should feel at home) but they dont appear to be anything confusing.  They're clearly marked, not like some GM models where you just get random initials on buttons and you have to go to the owner's  manual to figure out what they hell they do.

No hating from my camp. I agree with you. This will be a winner. And the interior is beautiful. Especially because it lacks the iDrive, Command, and MMI (BMW,MB,Audi) systems.

I think this will be a huge success and may finally stand alone as the most user friendly high powered long wheelbase flagship. My aunt drives and LS430 and loves it. It is by far the nicest car I have ever been in.

But GM fans take heart. If Buick is going to rise to the level of the Enclave - what must GM have planned for the next CTS, STS and upcoming ULS? It must be absolutely amazing. Remember, the DTS is a stop gap vehicle to appeal to the dying group of cadillac buyers who still want a FWD cadillac. The ULS will be the new flagship.

I trust GM to do what is right... just look at the Enclave. Every product they bring out is better than the previous ones - regardless of brand.

I love this car and trust that it will prompt GM to follow with Cadillac.

No hating from my camp.  I agree with you.  This will be a winner.  And the interior is beautiful.  Especially because it lacks the iDrive, Command, and MMI (BMW,MB,Audi) systems.

I played with iDrive once. It took me three motnhs to recover.

I LOVE it....!

.....and this is the first LS Lexus that I can honestly say that......

I bet this thing will look FIERCE in black.....

To me, this car has great proportions and I'm becoming a bigger fan of Lexus' L-Finnesse design language.

The interior is a work-of-art in my mind. Look at the tiny details....like the chrome strips that wrap around the knobs on the center stack then run up the center stack.

I would most definitely consider this car over the new S550.....which I think looks cartoonish in comparison (inside AND outside.)

Everyone needs to consider the 8-speed a bit more before damning it. Don't expect it to run up and down through 8 gears each time you accelerate and decelerate....if it's like the Benz 7-speed, it will "jump" gears as appropriate to pick the optimal ratios based upon your driving style. E.g....laid-back, it will probably skip 2, 3 gears as the car accelerates. In "attack" mode, it may very well utilize each gear as to keep the car in the meat of the powerband.

I'd LOVE to see how it drives....hopefully they've tuned a bit more driving enjoyment into this generation....

I just don't see what's so appealing about it.... Honestly...

Maybe it's just too middle of the road for me...

I mean, it isn't all that stylish (typical for Toyota/Lexus) It isn't all that refined looking (Same attention to detail as any other car in this class, or perhaps maybe even less) It'll probably have "quality" but then again, what car doesn't these days? Then I guess there's the image associated with Lexus (Which to many people, including me, is a negative thing, NOT a positive thing) It doesn't have any soul (Heritage and aura) The power is there but it's not revolutionary by any means. The transmission is a wild card, I'll give it that.

I guess the "L" is pretty shiney, I dunno.... (Okay, I'm just funnin' here)

It's a nice car and it'll be a success just like anything else with an "L" or "T" on it. But it's not all that and a box of dark chocolate, (My favorite :D) to me at least.

Then I guess there's the image associated with Lexus (Which to many people, including me, is a negative thing, NOT a positive thing) It doesn't have any soul (Heritage and aura)

I've noticed that, for some people, buying a Lexus is a bit of a reverse snobbery thing. They're "too good" to simply buy from an institution like BMW or Mercedes, so they'd rather "defer from the pack" (even though that's the exact opposite of what they're actually doing) and buy a non-European car.

This car is not a home run, in my book, but is of interest to all luxury makes for one reason: This car just shows that Lexus listens to its customers (and the criticisms of its competitors.) The cars may be somewhat boring, but they react to customers wants and needs better than anyone out there!

Ex.

-Buttons: no iDrive or MMI...the old people that buy these vehicles do not want to take a course in order to learn how to drive their car.

-Styling-Inoffensive and conservative interpretation of Lexus' new design language. Nothing here that will scare off customers. No Bangle butt, no clownish wheelarch extensions, no sharp creases and folds)

-Best ideas are taken from others, refined and applied: Optional Rear seats look suspiciously like a Maybach, 8 gear auto (why just have 7 in your MB?)

Just the short list. I would never own a car like this, but I would probably have no problem recommending it (unlike the S or 7, which are not built to last.)

If GM is listening, why not quiet tune the new Zeta, stretch it out and provide an LS for Buick money (say $40-45k) with better styling. A new Park Avenue?

At first glance I actually saw a lot of RL influence in the front and a lot of 7er influence in the rear. I'm not crazy about the design...it doesn't seem too original, I kinda like the current one, while dated, it is classy looking.

The interior on this is nothing short of beautiful. I'm not crazy too much about the center stack...I don't dislike it, but it doesn't wow me either. But this is deffinitely a very nice interior.

The drive/power train seems pretty amazing....It just seems we were jumping into 7 gears...now 8? Crazy...seems kind of un-needed and hopefully they got the tranny figured out so it won't be always searchign for gears. But I guess if you're going for fuel economy then 8 gears i great, and it's a neat bragging right too I guess if you're into that sort of thing. Seems like it's got a good amount of power and while performance isn't necessarily a specialty of lexus, it should prove to be an very good competitor.

So, this would in essence 'customize' four or five gears out of the eight available as it 'learns' how the car is driven over time?

It's kinda like a CVT in the sense that there many, widespread ratios, minus that golf cart feel. Wonder if it can do 1200 rpm at 65 MPH...

The design is elegant, tasteful, classy, and dynamic looking to boot. It may be unoriginal, but it looks great. The interior is beautiful, excepting the center stack, which is wierd to look at, and the height of the dash. Materails, quality, and the great use of wood throughout make it obvious what kind of car this is---one of the best sedans out there.

If only Cadillac had something competitive with this.

Oh, and 380 mofo hp, that's crazy! Under 5.5s? That's intense peformance, standard. Lexus is going for the big guns in the engine category. Give em all they could possibly want---I like that strategy.

In all honesty it's a nice vehicle. Lexus was never a style-breaker, but that isn't what makes them popular. Seriously Cadillac needs to compete with this for GM because if it comes down to it and you can have an 8 speed tranny, 19 speakers, 380 HP, etc etc and what Cadillac is offering now the AVERAGE person would go for this Lexus, especially because it's probably more fuel efficient to boot.

The styling isn't bad either. It's a nice sleek conservative design.

Looks like Hyundai's Azera.

I do love the interior though. This sort of interior is more like what Cadillac should have. *Crossing fingers* That's where the ULS (better name, please) steps in.

Edited by MyerShift

interior is great. 8spd auto? what does that add over a 6spd? .005% better fuel economy and +1000$?

According to the press release, 380HP and low 30's on the highway. Plus, it's a luxury car, something to brag about, some excess that is not needed but people want just to have it.

I might not be an overly showy person but I would like my car to say $50000 if I paid that much for it.

I don't need the bling but we all have to admit that this Lexus is very understated.

Don't get me wrong, it is a pleasant exterior design and an outstanding clean interior but this design doesn't say $$.

This is where the old guard BMW, Mercedes, Jags, and Caddy excel! When you drive them no one can confuse your car with anything else on the road.

This beautiful Lexus could be confused with a run of the mile Toyota at first glance. IMHO

It always helps if your posts contain a point or general idea.

Maybe then I could reply.

Okay, because you are presuming the press will be all over this because it has an 8 speed, and it's a Toyota made product, and the media has their loyalty towards... blah blah blah blah... and in turn will attack GM because they still 4 speed automatics.... well.... yeah, they will, come on, even the Honda Civic has a 5 speed automatic! They will, not because it's a Toyota, it's because all these companies are moving ahead, and GM is stuck in a time warp, come on the 4 speed automatic was a revolution in the 80s, you gotta move YOUR bias aside a bit and focus why the press is attacking GM vehicles, well maybe because they are giving us cars that were desirable in 1995, and we are in what year now? So look at it from a broader picture, instead of jumping conclsions or even presuming "discrimination" against GM.

If the price is anything close to the current model, this car should increase sales quite a bit. Seems like quite the luxury car. It drives well when it works, but I couldn't count all the times my boss's three year old 7 has been in the shop, its had so many gremlins.

I'm sure we'll see tons on the roads. This is enough to be a sure hit for Lexus. It covers all the people who care mostly about status. I wonder if the people who buy these cars even use half the features they offer?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow did lexus step up the plate.  Though one wonders, so many buttons the same size, won't that get confusing?  Oh'wait it's a toyota it's perfertly placed, I forgot.

I think I'd rather have a lot of buttons than nonsense like i-Drive.

The interior really is nice. Looks very cozy, almost like a living room in the back. I'd really like to see Caddy have something this nice. They are of course, the most-luxurious brand GM has, no? The DTS is beautiful, however, it could have been much nicer. Then again, it was just a refresh.

I'm anxious to see what Caddy has in store for us, especially with Lexus throwing something like this out into the works.

This car should have much larger appeal than the old-fogey outgoing model. MB and BMW have done good jobs on electronics overload, and in the case of MB, destroyed their reputation of vault-like engineering. Cadillac hasn't quite capitalized on their failings to the extent that they should have. Lexus may not have fine lineage, but they do have credibility.

This thing is all engineering and no design, I guess for pragmatic, noveau riche Americans who have no desire for elegance, taste, or heritage. As far as styling goes, Jag has class, Mercedes has muscle, BMW has art, Audi has emotion, and Lexus has... L-Finesse...

Heh! Gimme a break! No design? :P This is a car for people with no desire for elegance or taste? I understand your point with "heritage", but even Mercedes had to start somewhere. It's the only thing they have over Lexus anymore - which is why they're pushing it with their new commercials...

These images are for people with no desire for elegance or taste:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Damned pics won't load all the way for me for some reason, but the partials I can see look to incorporate what seems to be the new typical for lexus- misaligned pieces.

We've been led to believe this is the supposed pinnacle of interiors.... bah- I don't see it.

Look closely now.. Look at all those "typically" misaligned pieces that Lexus is so well-known for. This design is daring - not safe. This is what you come up with when you don't rest on your laurels.

Posted Image

The design is elegant, tasteful, classy, and dynamic looking to boot. It may be unoriginal, but it looks great. The interior is beautiful, excepting the center stack, which is wierd to look at, and the height of the dash. Materails, quality, and the great use of wood throughout make it obvious what kind of car this is---one of the best sedans out there.

If only Cadillac had something competitive with this.

Oh, and 380 mofo hp, that's crazy! Under 5.5s? That's intense peformance, standard. Lexus is going for the big guns in the engine category. Give em all they could possibly want---I like that strategy.

The current model does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.. I bet this new model will be in the low 5s to 60...

I'm seeing a lot of people here say that Cadillac should be taking notes from this Lexus LS.. Well, you're right.. Cadillac used to make cars like this.. Ever hear of the Fleetwood Talisman? Google it.. Or here's a couple of quick pictures:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/fleetwood/talis.html

Cadillac needs to step up to the plate and make a comfortable, luxurious vehicle like this.. I'm 100% positive Cadillac can make a better exterior and I'm sure they can at least match the interior for comfort, warmness, etcetera...

I like this car quite a bit, though the GS is more to my taste. I can definitely see myself in something like this as a daily driver when I'm 40 (only 5 years from now!) and moved over to the dark side (management)..

Though if I were choosing a car purely for style, I'd probably go with an Audi, and if I were choosing purely for driving experience, I'd go with another BMW).

Guest YellowJacket894

Why doesn't the exterior design impress me? I'll bet, people who bitched about Chris Bangle 4 years ago are dropping like flies right now. You can see his big, ol' thumbprint right in the design details of every damn Lexus made.

The interior design is alright. It has some details that are annoying, though, and look rather wierd. (Like the vents on the center stack. They look like they've been blasted by a flamethrower and melted away from one another because... ?)

And the transmission and powertrain is just, well, yeah. It's state of the art, sure. I mean, an 8-speed auto is a cool idea and will prove for pretty good fuel economy but it makes Toyot - er, Lexus look like they're trying to up the ante on Mercedes. And the 7-Speed idea was crazy enough to start with. Am I the only one who thinks there should be a limit on gears stuffed into a transmission?