Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lexus revealed the all-new 2007 LS 460 and the company's first-ever long-wheelbase model, the LS 460L, today at a press conference at the 2006 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). Seventeen years after its initial launch in Detroit, the redesigned LS now combines new levels of performance, sophistication, contemporary styling and luxury refinements.

"The Lexus LS 460 was designed to expand the definition of the full-size luxury sedan," said Jim Press, Toyota Motor Sales president and COO. "The new LS is the product of an advanced production process developed specifically for this vehicle with remarkable new levels of accuracy, refinement, precision and craftsmanship. Considering our record for quality over the last 17 years, that's quite a statement," he added.

High Output V8, World's First Eight-Speed Transmission

The LS will be powered by an all-new highly advanced 4.6-liter V8 engine that will produce approximately 380 horsepower and 370 pound-feet of torque. Combined with an eight-speed automatic transmission, a world-first, the LS 460 will travel from zero-to-sixty miles per hour in less than 5.5 seconds. With that level of performance, the new LS will achieve an estimated combined city/highway mileage in the mid-20s. Lexus is targeting an Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle II (ULEV II) rating for the LS 460.

The new LS is built on a sophisticated platform that maintains a delicate balance between ride comfort and responsive handling. The completely redesigned multilink suspension system includes an electronic power steering system and a next-generation Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system.

VDIM is an advanced stability system that integrates and manages a new Electronically Controlled Brake (ECB) system, Electronic Power Steering (EPS), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Antilock Braking System (ABS), Brake Assist (BA), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and engine torque via the electronically controlled throttle.

Monitoring a variety of sensors, the system is designed to anticipate the onset of a vehicle skid or slide and then help correct the situation with a combination of braking, throttle and steering control in a way that is essentially transparent to the driver. Data is gathered from more sources and processed earlier and faster than in previous designs, helping to make VDIM less obtrusive and even more effective.

First Long-Wheelbase Sedan

At nearly 203 inches, the long-wheelbase LS 460L provides an even higher level of comfort and convenience features along with some of the most advanced technology ever offered in a production automobile. The four-passenger compartment of the LS 460L transports its rear-seat passengers in an environment whose luxury features closely resemble those of a private jet.

Luxury, Redefined by Lexus

Intelligent technology and emotionally evocative design is clearly evident throughout the beautifully appointed cabin of the new LS sedans. Extra luxury and comfort touches include a heated steering wheel and seats swathed in one of four tones of semi-aniline leathers matched to one of three coordinating wood-grain trims.

Rear occupants can relax and enjoy power reclining seats equipped with power leg rests and even a massage feature. The new LS even offers body-heat sensors that help maintain the perfect temperature for all occupants. A fold-away table matched to the interior wood grain provides ample work space for rear passengers. The LS also features a nine-inch headliner-mounted rear-screen monitor along with an all-new 19-speaker Mark Levinson® audio system that provides a true theater-level entertainment experience. Additional luxury convenience features include a power rear-door closer and an automatic-powered opening/closing trunk lid.

New Lexus Design Direction

Over the last two years, Lexus has developed a new styling philosophy that it calls L-finesse. This new design language rests upon the inherent contrast between simplicity and elegance-and the beauty of achieving a balance between the two. Simplicity, in form and function, reflects styling that is uncluttered and void of extraneous elements. Lexus elegance, inside and out, avoids exaggeration by prioritizing understated luxury that is intriguing, subtle, seamless and slightly surprising.

Lexus imbued the development of the 2006 GS and IS series sport sedans with this new styling direction. Now the LS further expands the L-finesse visual philosophy, revealing a family resemblance in the new Lexus sedans-one that conveys elegance, refinement and a strong emotional appeal. "During the next few months, we'll provide more details about the all-new Lexus LS 460 as we prepare to launch this highly anticipated sedan," said Press. "If you like the way the LS looks, you'll be even more impressed when you hear about its advanced safety and innovative technology," he added.

The 2007 Lexus LS 460 and LS 460L are targeted for sale beginning in the fall of 2006.

Preliminary Specifications

LS 460

(standard wheelbase) LS 460L

(long wheelbase)

Wheelbase (inches)

Difference: 4.8 Inches 116.9 121.7

Overall Length (inches)

Difference: 4.8 Inches 198.0 202.8

Overall Width (inches) 73.8

Overall Height (inches) 58.1

(w/coil suspension)

Engine 4.6-liter V8

Horsepower (estimated) Approximately 380 hp

Torque (estimated) Approximately 370 lb.-ft.

Drive Wheels Rear

Suspension Front & Rear Multilink Suspension

(5 links)

0-60 MPH Acceleration (mfr. results) Under 5.5 seconds

Fuel Economy* (city/highway) Combined fuel economy in the

Mid-20-mpg range

Emissions Rating** ULEV II

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thing is all engineering and no design, I guess for pragmatic, noveau riche Americans who have no desire for elegance, taste, or heritage. As far as styling goes, Jag has class, Mercedes has muscle, BMW has art, Audi has emotion, and Lexus has... L-Finesse...

I think the interior materials are absolutely amazing, but the design leaves something left to be desired, IMO. The center stack looks a little cluttered and Star Wars-like. The exterior could be a lot better as well...it seems pretty derivitive of typical German luxury design.

This thing is all engineering and no design, I guess for pragmatic, noveau riche Americans who have no desire for elegance, taste, or heritage. As far as styling goes, Jag has class, Mercedes has muscle, BMW has art, Audi has emotion, and Lexus has... L-Finesse...

:withstupid:

(Sciguy, don't kid yourself... no offense)

The exterior isn't bad, but like the IS and GS, it has questionable details (which I like to call f**ked up). But it's much more bland. The interior, again, has those questionable details (look at that center stack... ugh), but looks nice otherwise. The powertrain and such sounds awesome. 8 gears? Thank god it's an auto...

Did anyone else get reminded of the Acura RL just a little bit when looking at that first shot? The interior looks high quality but that's what we've come to expect. Though, the center stack kind of ruins the overall feel of the interior for me. It's borderline ugly. At least it's original though.

The back seats are the best part of this car. It looks so comfortable and high-tech. The upcoming Caddy ULS should have seats just like that.

Overall, it's a decent effort by Lexus. The exterior could've been a lot nicer and less plain-jane

I think the interior materials are absolutely amazing, but the design leaves something left to be desired, IMO.  The center stack looks a little cluttered and Star Wars-like.  The exterior could be a lot better as well...it seems pretty derivitive of typical German luxury design.

It looks like Gen-II of the infamous CTS and SRX Compaq Presario center stack.

EDIT: With that said, the exterior does look better now that we have regular wheelbase pics.

Edited by empowah

So, uh, is this horsepower rating with the new SAE standards or the old? :P

Well, you have to admit, on paper the car is quite impressive.

The interior is nice... I'm not too fond of the color choices, but I'm sure that's just because I'm not a fan of gray, and I'm sure there will be a nice cashmere or saddle leather/wood combo I'll like.

Yup, just as I suspected--I just saw the little button on the dash that shows it has quad-zone climate control.

I may have to take a mortgage out and buy me one of these things... it's nicer than the house I live in.

Wow, I thought you would've saved up for the Enclave.  I guess Lexus has turned you too.

Well, the Enclave is not production, yet. Secondly, I'm a sedan man... don't care much for coupes, don't care much for SUVs... I'm a big-ol' sedan guy. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a nice design, as is with the Enclave.

Besides, I rather have a house if I'm going to take a mortgage out on something.

What's really sad about the new 8-speed transmission is the inevitable media hype. "OMG, the Cadillac is so outdated with only 5-6 gears."

Anyways, I think the interior looks cold. The grey and wood look too dark with the ecru colored leather and there are way too many buttons.

I'm wondering what the pricing for this will be. The $55k base price for an LS430 is a pretty good deal, but this new one adds so much more...

Price of admission, "$60-85k + your two testicles"

Edited by kryptonics

Obviously having not seen one in the flesh, I think this new LS does not break any new ground design wise BUT it has a beautiful quiet presence. It's sleek, graceful, and devoid of tacked on detail (a la Mercedes). It seems to be one cohesive thought from nose to tail that I think is very understated and elegant. I'm sure Lexus will do extremely well with this automobile.

Obviously having not seen one in the flesh, I think this new LS does not break any new ground design wise BUT it has a beautiful quiet presence.  It's sleek, graceful, and devoid of tacked on detail (a la Mercedes).  It seems to be one cohesive thought from nose to tail that I think is very understated and elegant.  I'm sure Lexus will do extremely well with this automobile.

:withstupid:

The only reason it has so many buttons is probably because there's no I-Drive, MMI, video game controller that everyone bitches about.

Yes... I'd rather have a lot of buttons that have to deal with a mouse and menu system....the I-Drive, Comand, etc stuff is just pointless fluff, IMHO...

I see Lexus is becoming McLexus as in small, medium, large, and super size for design. Thank you, McBenz.

Well, like with Benz the small and large are similar, but the medium differs..i.e. the C- and outgoing S- class have some visual similarities, the E-class is on it's own path, and likewise here the new LS has some similiarities to the IS while the GS goes it's own way..

Nothing wrong with establishing a theme across a range..

Honestly, this is theonly Lexus that I somewhat like over the competition. I'm not big on Toyota powertrains, but I like the power ratings here. 8 speeds? I think we're reaching over-kill status here. There's no reasonable need for 8 speeds. I like the interior, and I, too, would rather have buttons over iDrive stuff. I really like the interior, actually...much more so then the new S-class or 7-series. I like the A8's better, but this is good, too. The exterior? Eh. Better than the outgoing model.

Would I buy it if I could afford it? No, but for what the car is, I can see why some would.

Now i'm going to go drink some bleach for having said anything nice about Lexus. But I'll look at the Camaro and Enclave again before I do, just for happiness.

Damned pics won't load all the way for me for some reason, but the partials I can see look to incorporate what seems to be the new typical for lexus- misaligned pieces (remember the big gaps around the hybrid SUV's gauges?). And what's with the 'gunslit' clock- no one in the back seat can know what time it is? Plastic wood looks like crap (what's the point if it's real if it doesn't LOOK real?), the stylistic segmentation of the doors is annoying & pointless.

We've been led to believe this is the supposed pinnacle of interiors.... bah- I don't see it.

Honestly, this is theonly Lexus that I somewhat like over the competition.  I'm not big on Toyota powertrains, but I like the power ratings here.  8 speeds?  I think we're reaching over-kill status here.  There's no reasonable need for 8 speeds.  I like the interior, and I, too, would rather have buttons over iDrive stuff.  I really like the interior, actually...much more so then the new S-class or 7-series.  I like the A8's better, but this is good, too.  The exterior?  Eh.  Better than the outgoing model.

Would I buy it if I could afford it?  No, but for what the car is, I can see why some would.

Now i'm going to go drink some bleach for having said anything nice about  Lexus.  But I'll look at the Camaro and Enclave again before I do, just for happiness.

It would make the perfect 5 year commuter car...enough gadgets that I wouldn't get bored, and the reliability for piece of mind, and a decent resale value.

That said, the only Lexus I would serious consider would be a GS450...

Edited by moltar

The exterior is clean, and very safe. This time, with the new Lexus design "theme that's supposed to make it a family of cars. The GS still looks the best, IMO. As far as the interior, I absolutely love it. It's the best in the majors, save for the A8. I don't like the S's or 7's at all. But the S's exterior styling kills the LS.

I think it's a highly successful design. It's a safe, unadverturous design appropriate for its segment, and not as old-fogey as the outgoing model. There's definite familial resemblance to the IS and GS, and it's not a case of different size sausages. Proportions appear right (unlike the IS), and the stance is good.

Compare the center stack to that of the STS, which is cleaner? The previous LS was a lot cleaner than this as well. You don't need that many buttons and it can be done without making it confusing and/or i-drive like. I like Cadillac because of all the little stuff GM does to unclutter the driving experience like the english/metric button that eliminates the need to show M/KPH at the same time and turning the HVAC off with the same knob that adjusts it instead of having to press an extra, unneeded off button. Simplifying what the driver sees makes the interior pleasent, just look at the Solstice.

Oh well, I'll eventually be driving this one five days a week soon enough, maybe my opinion will change...

Oh great........now all we get to hear about is how GM has no 8 speed.........what is it a friggin truck ? With all that power it could have a powerglide....lol

I was thinkin that rearquarter shot had similiarities to Lucerne.

GM take note, no more detuneing engines to appease other divisions because we will be getting this 4.6 stuffed down our throats.

Can't wait to here Dan Neil say "And it has 8 gears that's twice as much innovation as your typical GM car for those of you who are keeping score"

I think it's Lexus ugly, Toyota bland and yuppie soul less.... Much like most asian offerings.

We are in the 21st century, the 1980's have passed a while ago...