IS350 Review

pow

19 December 2005

By Robert Farago

Jinking through traffic somewhere above the ton, it quickly became apparent that the Lexus IS 350 wasn’t the ideal car for the job. The erstwhile sports sedan bumped and jiggled over surface imperfections like a tied-down tunermobile. It rolled through directional transitions like a luxobarge, helming with unacceptable imprecision and unwelcome lean. While the powerplant provided more than enough shove for the work at hand, the IS 350’s dynamics drew a definitive line between “doable” and “enjoyable.” If further proof were needed that I was in the wrong car at the wrong speed, the BMW M3 keeping pace provided it.

After a few polite lead exchanges, the M3 dropped the hammer and disappeared. I rejected the idea of visiting V-Max. The IS 350’s 3.5-liter V6 holsters a surprising percentage of the mighty M3’s oomph (at a fraction of the price), but it’s no Bimmer beater. More specifically, maxxing-out a 3-Series anything is like driving through the tunnel of love compared to the baby Lexus' Autobahn of Doom. Who needs THAT kind of excitement? Indeed, why would anyone suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous ride and handling when any number of similarly priced cars offer a more pleasurable driving experience?

It’s all about the big O: ostentation. The IS 350 may be as manic as a radio controlled Kyosho Inferno, but the Lexus badge on its nose and tail tells the world that its driver is a man of wealth and taste. Thanks to a few meticulously-engineered models and exceptional dealer service, US public opinion has elevated Lexus to level-pegging with BMW, Mercedes, Audi, et al. Meanwhile, back where the rubber meets the road, Lexus has lost the plot. Although the company continues to manufacturer some superlative wafty coddlers, the IS 350 is yet another Lexus displaying a stunning lack of brand consistency. It’s no more a luxury car than a Mustang GT.

Thankfully for sales, looks can be deceiving. The IS 350’s combination of sharply-tailored creases and sensual curves create a perfectly judged blend of accelerative intent and stately elegance; a recipe that's bound to make upmarket buyers feel good about driving a small car. The bland butt is a tad too Toyota, but the rest of the IS 350's sheetmetal projects all the restrained modernity that Chris Bangle failed to realize for BMW. Overall, Lexus’ mid-market model proves that their new house style-- “L-Finesse”-- is more than a pissed-off Pokemon in a Brioni suit. It’s a pissed-off Pokemon in a Brioni suit with a touch of Maserati thrown in.

The IS 350’s cabin certainly isn’t the swish inner sanctum you’d expect at this price point. Although you can’t fault the pliability of the soft-touch plastics or the leather’s Velveetatude, close your eyes, press a button and you’ll swear you’re sheltering inside a top-spec Avalon. The sooner Lexus replicates Audi’s haptic hit squad, the better. And while they’re at it, the Japanese designers should L-finesse some of that lustrous wood onto the main fascia; the dark grey plastic surrounding the IS 350’s instruments and gauges is about as classy as a quilted toilet roll holder. Still, you get some aluminum paddle shift wings and a dead cool “engine start” button…

That hooks you up to one of the most mental motors made. It sure doesn’t sound like much-- a Pontiac Grand Am’s pushrod powerplant whines to mind-- but the Lexus’ V6 is ready to go anytime, every time, all the God damn time. With 306 horses underfoot, and a six-speed automatic gearbox that grabs the next gear like a two-year-old coveting her sister’s Nintendo DS, going fast is simply a matter of forgetting to go slow. Drop a couple of cogs via the paddles, plant your right foot, and the IS 350 will punch through the ether at a ferocious clip, belied by a dearth of engine vibration. Not to put too fine a point on it, this dog will hunt.

But it won’t dance. The IS 350 is only slightly less hard-riding than a Skyline GT-R-- with none of the corresponding car control. Woe betides any hard-charging enthusiast who finds an expansion joint or a big old bump in a tight corner; the little Lexus will hop, skip and jump like a colt struggling to get out of a horsebox. Switch off the electronic Nanny, and it’s woe Nellie!-- oversteer oblivion courtesy of the sharpest yet least progressive brakes money can buy. By the same token, I pity the poor bastard who bought an IS 350 thinking he could cruise through an urban landscape without an overly-intimate exploration of the concrete topography.

In short, the IS 350 is a bad BMW, rather than a great Lexus. Shame. As I watched the M3 evaporate that afternoon, I wished I was driving an LS, SC or RX. I could have cranked-up the tunes, kicked back and… relaxed.

http://thetruthaboutcars.com/content/11350...07406/index.php

Wow, I'm kinda of liking this site. His opinions of Lexus are quite similar to mine: "The GS300 makes a mockery of Lexus’ well-earned rep for imperious wafting-- to the point where you wonder if the model was designed as a secret torture device for America’s nouveaux riche."

I've noticed that, for some people, buying a Lexus is a bit of a reverse snobbery thing. They're "too good" to simply buy from an institution like BMW or Mercedes, so they'd rather "defer from the pack" (even though that's the exact opposite of what they're actually doing) and buy a non-European car.

This thing is all engineering and no design, I guess for pragmatic, noveau riche Americans who have no desire for elegance, taste, or heritage. As far as styling goes, Jag has class, Mercedes has muscle, BMW has art, Audi has emotion, and Lexus has... L-Finesse...

The IS's interior is pretty $h!ty as well. I inspected one yesterday at LAIAS, and I wasn't impressed by its floppy sunroof cover, crude lower-dash materials, 1980's seat heater switches, bland wood, uninspired colors, pieced-together and unharmonious design, generic Walmart stereo system center stack, randomly scattered parts-bin switches, Brother Labelmaker fonts, loosely-fit rear seat bottom leather, afterthought tweeters, afterthought front armrest, cancerous HVAC vents, foot-operated parking brake, and inhospitable rear seat. I couldn't forget the tinny sheetmetal either... the 3-series and A4 destroy it in build quality.

As you can tell, I'm not much of a Lexus fan, either. :lol:

Edited by empowah

I never knew an IS350 competed with an M3. :rolleyes:

uh, you ARE kidding right????

From day one the IS-cars heve been designed to shaddow the 3-series. Since the IS350 is an expensive king-of-the-hill Sports Sedan from Toyota MOtor Corp. comparisons to the M3 are just about obvious.

Comparing the Lexus IS350 to an M3 is unfair all of a sudden? But yet a Corvette Z06 vs. Viper Comparison is fair right?

Perforamance talks and bull$h! walks. :AH-HA_wink:

uh, you ARE kidding right????

From day one the IS-cars heve been designed to shaddow the 3-series. Since the IS350 is an expensive king-of-the-hill Sports Sedan from Toyota MOtor Corp. comparisons to the M3 are just about obvious.

Comparing the Lexus IS350 to an M3 is unfair all of a sudden? But yet a Corvette Z06 vs. Viper Comparison is fair right?

Perforamance talks and bull$h! walks.  :AH-HA_wink:

Um, the IS350 competes with the 330i. The M3 isn't even a sedan...

once there was an M3 coupe... I know that's not the case but are we toi say the CTS-V does not compete wiht the M3 either since it's not a coupe?

Everyone makes the comparison.

once there was an M3 coupe... I know that's not the case but are we toi say the CTS-V does not compete wiht the M3 either since it's not a coupe?

Everyone makes the comparison.

That has nothing to do with the fact that the IS competes with non-M 3-Series.

Lexus will probably come out with an IS with a V-8 to compete with the M3.

The consensus with all the IS350 reviews is that it has a great engine, an ok suspension that is too harsh for the streets and not sharp enough for the track, and a decent but not great interior.

For being the entry-level Lexus, I don't have a problem at all with the interior. And it is a lot of car for the money. I'm not sure which way I would go--330i or IS350--if I were in the market today, mainly because I have problems with the styling of both. But I've been seeing tons of both of these on the streets.

Lexus is putting the 4.3 or 4.6 in an IS and calling it the IS500 to compete with the M3. So no - this car isn't supposed to compete with the M. The interior is excellent for the entry level Lexus. It's job is supposed to be comfortable (even though it's small), quick and not-so-harsh on the road.. It does a fine job of this...

Soo... why is the interior of the IS with it's parts bin switches and unimaginative design "ok for an entry level Lexus" when the interior of the CTS has very few parts bin parts and is at the very lease an original design....

It sounds like the CTS out handles it. Sure, the IS would out run the CTS in the straight away.... right up till a loaded 44k when you start hitting CTS-V territory.

Also keep in mind that the IS is all new, but a new CTS is about 18-24 months away.

Edit: And I've seen the renderings of the new CTS. The exterior and interior positively blow away the IS.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

"unimaginative design" is not a fact - it's an opinion.. I like the interior of the Lexus IS much better than the CTS but the current exterior of the CTS is nicer (to me) than the IS.. And yes, the new CTS will probably be much, much nicer in all aspects.. The CTS is a great car...

[zoolander] I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! [/zoolander]

How does a 350 HP V6 IS350 not compete with a 333 HP I6 M3??  :huh:

But then you are saying that a 4.3L or 4.6L V8 IS500 will be a fair comparison to the M3.

because that is the 'old' M3 vs the 'new' IS.

wait til the 'new IS V8' runs against the 'new' M3 V8 and then we'll see what happens.

But then you are saying that a 4.3L or 4.6L V8 IS500 will be a fair comparison to the M3.

Plus, the IS350, which has 306-hp, btw, is available only with an automatic gearbox.

Yeah I'm with you... although I guess I see their point now that I found out the IS350 is automatic only... WTF Lexus?

Last I heard Lexus had plans for an IS coupe and convertible in addition to the IS500 M-fighter mentioned above. The IS350 is not meant to compete with the M3, especially considering the M is at the end of it's life cycle and a new e90-based model is on it's way.

Lexus will probably come out with an IS with a V-8 to compete with the M3.

The consensus with all the IS350 reviews is that it has a great engine, an ok suspension that is too harsh for the streets and not sharp enough for the track, and a decent but not great interior.

For being the entry-level Lexus, I don't have a problem at all with the interior.  And it is a lot of car for the money.  I'm not sure which way I would go--330i or IS350--if I were in the market today, mainly because I have problems with the styling of both.  But I've been seeing tons of both of these on the streets.

I'd go for the 330i any day. I drove a sport-packaged 6-speed and LOVED it.

For me, I like the exterior styling of the Lexus, but the interior is WAY too tight roominess-wise (even compared to the BMW) and while the fit-and-finish and materials are top-notch, the interior styling is almost too "Japanese" for me. I like the much simpler BMW design....which seems just as well-built.

PLUS, I'm a manual-tranny fan.....and Lexus refuses to offer us a manual with the big 3.5L engine....WTF?

I just saw the commercial for this car today and I was thinkin it looked an awful lot like a toned down GP......am I crazy ? Something abut its styling looked fimilar.

I wish GM would do decent commercials.

Your eyes no not deceive you, Lexus did copy the Grand Prix. All they did was make it a little stubbier:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Your eyes no not deceive you, Lexus did copy the Grand Prix.  All they did was make it a little stubbier:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, I do see a slight resemblance.

I do thoroughly enjoy this webpage. I stumbled across it a short time period ago.

I agree with his statements about Lexus/IS350, not so much others, um, GM comes to mind.

Most of the reviews have something distubingly amusing to them.

The resemblance between the IS and the GP is probably why I dislike the styling of the IS so much. The GP has always come across as ill-proportioned, especially with that protruding bumper and oversized headlights. The coupelike C-pillar helps contribute to the inhospitable feeling in the rear seat. The IS also has an oversized face and weird styling flourishes like the GP has, but the overall tauter looks is a slight, and very slight, improvement.

I hate to admit it but the New IS is growing on me. Too bad they eliminated the Inline six. :(

Guest gmrebirth

The IS 350 is a major pretender...the lack of a manual trans. option proves the point.  Lexus is trying to steal the BMW buyers who buy based upon the badge, not those that want the BMW performance.  At least Cadillac and Infiniti are close...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, because 0 - 60 in 5.1s, 1/4 mile in the high 13s, and actual handling (not driving feel) very close to the 3 Series makes the IS350 a pretender :rolleyes: .

Give me a break. Seeing as in almost every way, the IS350 performs better than a 330i, those who want "BMW performance" are simply those who want that hard driving feel, nothing more.

Edited by gmrebirth

Yeah, because 0 - 60 in 5.1s, 1/4 mile in the high 13s, and actual handling (not driving feel) very close to the 3 Series makes the IS350 a pretender  :rolleyes: .

Give me a break. Seeing as in almost every way, the IS350 performs better than a 330i, those who want "BMW performance" are simply those who want that hard driving feel, nothing more.

You forgot a real transmission. What fun is a good handling car if you cannot control the gears through the corners. Not much at all.

You forgot a real transmission.  What fun is a good handling car if you cannot control the gears through the corners.  Not much at all.

Exactly. I never have and never will consider a car with an automatic transmission. To compare a car without one to one with one makes such a pretender.

Gmrebirth, you're not being very objective...

Yeah, because 0 - 60 in 5.1s, 1/4 mile in the high 13s, and actual handling (not driving feel) very close to the 3 Series makes the IS350 a pretender  :rolleyes: .

That, and a manual gearbox. Whoa!!!

Just because it's faster and has a more powerful engine doesn't mean it really outperforms the 330i in the real world. Sure, it might be able to beat it around a racetrack, but give the 330i 280hp or so and it would smoke the IS through the corners like its nobody's business.

It isn't all about how fast it is on a track, it's about how much of a driver's car it is in the real world, where you'd actually drive it on a day-to-day basis.

both the 330i and IS 350 are QUICK.

oddly,the IS is about the only toyota i like, but i do think lack of MTX in the 350 is a huge fault and the interior looks dull. some other poster saw it in person and said the interior was not as impressive as you'd believe it to be. it looks more interesting than the g35 nowadays.

at first i disliked the new 3 series but i am warming up to it. certainly it is top notch in all facets of vehicle performance. it would have to top my list if i came into money.

why can't pontiac build 3 and 5 series clones for 15 grand less?

Edited by regfootball

Your eyes no not deceive you, Lexus did copy the Grand Prix.  All they did was make it a little stubbier

I seriously doubt Lexus "copied" the Grand Prix. Sure, it has a few similarities - but almost all cars do. If they're going to copy, they're going to do it from an upscale car - not a downscale car...

I don't think anyone claims this is a substitute for a 330i at least in the sense of a driver's car, some want more luxury and smoothness, exactly what the IS350 aimed to deliver

$35k can get an Evo or WRX that can embarass a 330i anyday in any performance aspect subjective or objective, doesn't make them better vehicles.

Guest gmrebirth

Exactly. I never have and never will consider a car with an automatic transmission. To compare a car without one to one with one makes such a pretender.

Gmrebirth, you're not being very objective...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. I'm not being very objective, because even Ferrari is moving away from manuals to "manumatics" and SMG transmissions. I guess they must be pretenders just like Toyota :rolleyes: .

Guest gmrebirth

Just because it's faster and has a more powerful engine doesn't mean it really outperforms the 330i in the real world. Sure, it might be able to beat it around a racetrack, but give the 330i 280hp or so and it would smoke the IS through the corners like its nobody's business.

It isn't all about how fast it is on a track, it's about how much of a driver's car it is in the real world, where you'd actually drive it on a day-to-day basis.

Wait a minute. You're saying that even if the IS is faster around the track, it's NOT faster in the real world? Are you joking? Putting a car through a track measures just about every aspect of performance. If an IS beats the 330i on the track, then it IS a faster car in the real world.

Hey, an old Civic is a "driver's" car as well. It's got good road feel and steering, but that doesn't mean it's fast.

Even if the IS350 might not FEEL fast, it objectively IS fast.

You can go ahead and buy a car that FEELS fast. I'd rather buy a car that actually IS fast, not to mention has more luxury.

Edited by gmrebirth

And your daily driver that you're using to backup your driving experiences is what exactly?

You're right. I'm not being very objective, because even Ferrari is moving away from manuals to "manumatics" and SMG transmissions. I guess they must be pretenders just like Toyota  :rolleyes: .

No... I meant objective as in you are once again praising Toyota. That must be all you know how to do. You say you are objective, your posts say otherwise. Even in a thread about a foreign Toyota minivan, you start backing up and praising Toyota because of one member's OPINION. Not only are you not being objective, but you are not respecting another member's opinion and attacking them in doing so. Same with a simple thread about a company buying GM's hybrid buses. You find some way to praise Toyota, bash anything otherwise which was GM, like in most instances. I listened to your BS once, I tried to respect it, but it was only BS. You are not objective, you do not respect other's opinions, you do not add anything positive to this forum, and you do not belong. You are nothing more than a troll, so leave. I hear there's a forum called Toyota Nation... Edited by blackviper8891

Guest gmrebirth

And your daily driver that you're using to backup your driving experiences is what exactly?

What does my daily driver have to do with anything? You did not reply to what I said?

And furthermore, do you consider Ferrari a "pretender" too, answer me that? Don't get personal, stick to the arguments at hand.

What does my daily driver have to do with anything? You did not reply to what I said?

And furthermore, do you consider Ferrari a "pretender" too, answer me that? Don't get personal, stick to the arguments at hand.

Did he reply to that specific post? No, so you can answer his question. I'm curious as well. Since you seem to know more than him about what makes a certain sedan more sporting than another, it is only natural that you must drive one, like him. Or I know... you could take my advice as well. Maybe that would explain something. It is located in my post incase you overread it.

Ferrari's sequential manual gearbox is a completely different animal against the IS's torque-converter slushbox.

You commented that "those who want "BMW performance" are simply those who want that hard driving feel, nothing more." As your opinion of BMW's driving experience seems to differ from most major car magazines that have road tested BMWs as well as my own opinion, I was curious what vehicle you drive which you are using as a basis for comparison to form your opinion. For example, if your daily driver is a 1988 Buick Electra Limited, then I can understand why you would feel the BMW has a "hard feel."

I am basing my opinion on owning a BMW and driving it in real world conditions. In fact, I've owned two BMW 3-series cars, a 2000 323i 5sp and now my current 2005 330i 6sp with performance package. The performance package cars have the M3's suspension and close ratio gearbox with 18" wheels with offset Z rated tires. While the 330i doesn't ride as well as the 323i did, it still has a supple suspension which is not punishing in daily life. Additionally, my dad just bought a 2006 Infiniti G35x and we cross shopped the 2006 BMW vs. the Inifiniti vs. the Lexus. After DRIVING the Lexus and comparing it against my own car, it did not handle as well or ride any better. A car that competes in a car class of "sport sedans" and was designed to compete against the BMW 3-series but only offers a manual transmission on the small displacement engined base model is a pretender in my book. If they were truly serious in trying to beat BMW, they would offer a manual trans on the IS350.

So, I've explained how I arrived at my opinion: I own and drive a BMW and test drove the Lexus. I even read the October 2005 issue of Car and Driver and their $35,000 Sport Sedans comparison test.

Back to my question: What's your daily driver? How many BMWs have you driven? Have you driven the Lexus?

As for SMGs, that is still a manual gearbox, not an automatic. Last I looked, BMW offered them but Lexus did not. Ferrari offering the SMG is likely a tie in with F1 racing where they're used. SMGs seem to be popular in Europe, however they have not been well received by enthusiasts in the North American market.

It was great. I was at the Auto Show yesterday, and there was a guy standing on the spinning platform with the "New IS350".....and he was trying to give his speech abut this awesome new car.....and nobody would even stop to hear it. Usually people would stop and listen to whatever these people were saying, cause it only lasted a few minutes.....but this guy was just trying to talk to people as they were passing by, just giving a glance at this awesone new vehicle from Lexus. It was pretty funny....people seemed like they could care less..... I was one of them. :lol:

I guess they were too busy trying to make their way to the Camaro and Challenger exhibits.....which were packed!! :AH-HA_wink:

No... I meant objective as in you are once again praising Toyota. That must be all you know how to do. You say you are objective, your posts say otherwise. Even in a thread about a foreign Toyota minivan, you start backing up and praising Toyota because of one member's OPINION. Not only are you not being objective, but you are not respecting another member's opinion and attacking them in doing so. Same with a simple thread about a company buying GM's hybrid buses. You find some way to praise Toyota, bash anything otherwise which was GM, like in most instances. I listened to your BS once, I tried to respect it, but it was only BS. You are not objective, you do not respect other's opinions, you do not add anything positive to this forum, and you do not belong. You are nothing more than a troll, so leave. I hear there's a forum called Toyota Nation...

I've noticed that for a while also. Just click on his name and find his posts. The topics are either about Toyota, or bad news about GM. I've never seen a single good post about GM, and never a single bad post about Toyota. Objective? Who is?

You commented that "those who want "BMW performance" are simply those who want that hard driving feel, nothing more."  As your opinion of BMW's driving experience seems to differ from most major car magazines that have road tested BMWs as well as my own opinion, I was curious what vehicle you drive which you are using as a basis for comparison to form your opinion.  For example, if your daily driver is a 1988 Buick Electra Limited, then I can understand why you would feel the BMW has a "hard feel." 

I am basing my opinion on owning a BMW and driving it in real world conditions.  In fact,  I've owned two BMW 3-series cars, a 2000 323i 5sp and now my current 2005 330i 6sp with performance package.  The performance package cars have the M3's suspension and close ratio gearbox with 18" wheels with offset Z rated tires.  While the 330i doesn't ride as well as the 323i did, it still has a supple suspension which is not punishing in daily life.  Additionally, my dad just bought a 2006 Infiniti G35x and we cross shopped the 2006 BMW vs. the Inifiniti vs. the Lexus.  After DRIVING the Lexus and comparing it against my own car, it did not handle as well or ride any better.  A car that competes in a car class of "sport sedans" and was designed to compete against the BMW 3-series but only offers a manual transmission on the small displacement engined base model is a pretender in my book.  If they were truly serious in trying to beat BMW, they would offer a manual trans on the IS350.

So, I've explained how I arrived at my opinion:  I own and drive a BMW and test drove the Lexus.  I even read the October 2005 issue of Car and Driver and their $35,000 Sport Sedans comparison test.

Ditto.

I've also owned three different BMWs and I never "got it" about BMW until I owned one and lived with one.

I had an '04 330i Coupe w/ 6-speed, sport pkg, 18-inch opt. wheels, then an identically-equipped '04 330i Convertible.

We currently have an X5 4.4i Sport and it is hands DOWN my most favorite SUV I've ever driven. It's everything a BMW is supposed to be.

It was great.  I was at the Auto Show yesterday, and there was a guy standing on the spinning platform with the "New IS350".....and he was trying to give his speech abut this awesome new car.....and nobody would even stop to hear it.  Usually people would stop and listen to whatever these people were saying, cause it only lasted a few minutes.....but this guy was just trying to talk to people as they were passing by, just giving a glance at this awesone new vehicle from Lexus.  It was pretty funny....people seemed like they could care less..... I was one of them.  :lol:

I guess they were too busy trying to make their way to the Camaro and Challenger exhibits.....which were packed!! :AH-HA_wink:

Are you sure they weren't running away from the Firepower!!!!!!!?