Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

E-Mail From My Neighbor In Delaware

42 posts in this topic

He traded in his two 2006 Chrysler Grand Cherokees (wife and his) for two Toyota RAV4s. This is a person who always bought Chrysler. I asked why, he wrote back, I never thought I would buy a foreign car, but it was just a better deal ...

I have taken him off my e-mail list ... :nono:

Edited by Oracle of Delphi

Boo!

Send him all the bad news about Toyota instead of taking him off your e-mail list.

Better deal...oh, good move there. Really good.

Sounds like the kind of person my father works with who had a Civic that was a few years old, "really liked" the new Malibu and wanted to step up a size, asked my father about my mother's and his opinion and went to ONE dealer locally to check one out, drive again, and go to buy. The result? Still a yes on the car but he didn't like the too low trade value they gave for his Civic, said heck with GM and the Malibu all together and went to a Honda dealer farther away "because they gave more for his Civic" and bought an Accord. An Accord that, and I quote, was described as "it's nice, I liked the Malibu, but this was a better deal."

Why he didn't try another Chevy dealer, why he didn't, etc., etc. all just to go back and buy an Accord because they gave him the trade price he wanted? As I said, then he really didn't like or want the Malibu then, it was all about the easy deal. A valid point to make, absolutely, and you get one shot with a lot of people, but alas.

Probably paid more for the Accord too... but got "more in trade" on the Civic.

The whole car business is so irrational it just makes me want to scream.

No wonder CARBIZ rants and raves like he does.

I do NOT like the new Accord...even the coupe I find just really awkward.

Chris

Probably paid more for the Accord too... but got "more in trade" on the Civic.

You got it :AH-HA:

The scarier thing? My father was telling me the story in a way to "prove" something to me about GM, the Malibu, and more so the local dealer I talk about all the time and/or try to recommend. Like he drank the Koolaid.

Borger started with a perfect example of this. "Why'd you buy 2 Rav4's?" They were a good deal. "Was it the best little crossover you tested?" I don't know, I only went to the Toyota dealer after the newspaper ad price I saw...Toyota's are always the best.

Scary...but SO true of the real world. Even in regards to price. Someone will "sort of" be willing to try/want a new Xxx from another manufacturer, but unless the price is out of this world too in a lot of cases, no thanks. At least we have vehicles like the new Equinox/Terrain that are knocking so many people's socks off just based on the package, the price is almost a side factor...but thankfully also just right.

Edited by caddycruiser

After driving a new Equinox for a week. The Chevy dealer deserves at least the courtesy of a visit.

Someday I will go into business where I kidnap people looking for cars and take them to dealers to test stuff. I will blindfold them and cuff them and take them there.

How can I get this business to be legal?

Someday I will go into business where I kidnap people looking for cars and take them to dealers to test stuff. I will blindfold them and cuff them and take them there.

Become a dictator and make it a law :yes:

... wonder how good the deal will seem when he loses the spare tires ala tacoma heheh

the RAV4 is a terrible vehicle. I know from renting one once for a week. yuk. so many better choices.

Call it an "intervention" and make it into a reality show.

Touche.

Call it an "intervention" and make it into a reality show.

ha ha ha...awesome

Think I could sell the idea to Speed?

I could use the cash.

Sure, if you want to sell it to speed I will expect creator's credits and royalties. I will have the contract drawn up :smilewide:

Probably worth about $1,500 split two ways. :smilewide:

But hell, I'd take my $750 and smile.

My dad is actually considering buying a Toyota. He told me he's losing his patience with Chevy, he didn't go into details, but he has always been a Chevy man. He likes how easy to work on Toyotas are. He does auto body for a living, and said he wouldn't mind if all he worked on were Toyotas because they are so easy. Up until recently he wouldn't consider buying a car from anyone but the big 3.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

I'm sure it's a lot easier to bang out dents when the sheet metal is so thin....

Awhile back I had to do an electrical repair in a body shop and they were putting a new roof on a Corolla. Who the hell fixes a Corolla that's been hurt so bad it needs a new roof?

Chris

the RAV4 is a terrible vehicle. I know from renting one once for a week. yuk. so many better choices.

RAV4 is one of the worst vehicles built IMHO.

Can't imagine wanting to own one...

Chris

Sounds like a variation on the Priceline ads w/ Shatner in the old Dodge van..

Awhile back I had to do an electrical repair in a body shop and they were putting a new roof on a Corolla. Who the hell fixes a Corolla that's been hurt so bad it needs a new roof?

Chris

Oh...lots. Very common repair. In the end, if the structure isn't badly damaged, the roof is just another panel :AH-HA:

Of course, on a Toyota...well...yeah...

My dad is actually considering buying a Toyota. He told me he's losing his patience with Chevy, he didn't go into details, but he has always been a Chevy man. He likes how easy to work on Toyotas are. He does auto body for a living, and said he wouldn't mind if all he worked on were Toyotas because they are so easy. Up until recently he wouldn't consider buying a car from anyone but the big 3.

Again, funny the difference in people's thoughts. My brother is an auto body tech, and constantly comments on the "structure" and how different brands and models are really built, and that the Toyota, Kia, etc. vehicles he works on are scary in regards to assembly. Last example he gave me, somewhat, was how the lights, fenders, front structure, etc. all go together on a Camry "vs. something like a Malibu that's much more solid". I know he's skewed in saying so, but at the same time, an interesting perception conversation.

Has your father had problems with his Chevy or just "tired" of them in general? Again, it's all a perception, personal experiences, etc. thing and interesting to hear about different stories.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room