Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevrolet SSR

HarleyEarl

There are some pretty damn good deals available on all the leftover '05s (currently $6k incentives + $2k from the new GM card deal + whatever you can get the dealer to take off). If the price would have started at $35k to begin with maybe it would have done okay.

I'd like an El Camino on Kappa.

Yet another very unique GM vehicle, that SHOULD be a competitive advantage, is phased out becasue GM mismanaged it. (Among other things)

What a shame..... I'd still love to have one! But it was a little too impractical, a little too costly and not nimble/quick enough. (Eventhough the new motor and tranny help)

Of course, the SSR was supposed to only hang around for a few years anyway if I remember correctly.

Deja vu? Prowler.. T-Bird...

Too overpriced, underpowered (at first), love/hate looks.

Also the lack of good avertising could be another factor (though that trailer commercial where it does a 180 and back up onto it is awsome).

Deja vu? Prowler.. T-Bird... 

Too overpriced, underpowered (at first), love/hate looks.

Also the lack of good avertising could be another factor (though that trailer commercial where it does a 180 and back up onto it is awsome).

It was only supposed to last a few years.

Beetle, Mustang, PT Cruiser, HHR, need I continue...?

You're just looking at halo models.

I'm not sure if this is cost efficient, but if GM wanted more sales, they could've converted it into an SUV by adding two extra doors, more side glass, and a roof.

So, basically make it a bigger HHR? :P

I think Fly's suggestion was the best, and to offer it in a hardtop (non-convertible) model too.

Should've had a throwover ragtop companion with an Atlas I6 for $27k.

The SSR was a slug with a 300-hp V8. It would be downright laughable with the I-6.

Simply put, the SSR tried to be too many things at once and ended up being good at little. The uselessness of the pickup bed certainly wasn't made up for in performance, and the interior was just "okay", especially for $42,000. It found few buyers because it couldnt' be used as a truck, and wouldn't be purchased for it's performance. In the end, the only real reason anyone would buy one was for it's looks. And to the vast majority of consumers, the SSR was downright goofy. Not exactly a formula for success. I'm not sad to see it go.

So, basically make it a bigger HHR:P

I think Fly's suggestion was the best, and to offer it in a hardtop (non-convertible) model too.

I agree also....and even go further and have as a fixed roof and open bed...make it more pickup in appearance. And then lower the price slightly...

The production run was only planned for three years, so we have had it longer than intended already. I was a big fan of a less expensive, fixed roof version (ASC actually built a prototype) too bad that never happened.

No tears shed for the SSR here though, the way will be clear now for my new El Camino SS. :AH-HA_wink:

The production run was only planned for three years, so we have had it longer than intended already.

Let's make sure this is mentally retained people... because I KNOW I am going to read "SSR" on a list of 'GM failures' within a year. The mindset is already gelling in some people's minds. :angry:

Even though the SSR design has been around for six years, every time I go to NYIAS there's always a crowd around it. A used one is definitely on my list of potential "toys" to purchase once the Cobalt gets paid off.

I had always seen this truck more from a distance...there are a fair number around here. Recently saw one up very close, sat in it...it was in incredible red.....this vehicle leaves me gasping, it's so hot...watched it pull away on a warm evening....just pure white hot sex. Love it. I wonder if it has the 'it' factor far in the future and becomes a hot collectible? Did I say 'hot' too many times?...

The production run was only planned for three years, so we have had it longer than intended already.

Let's make sure this is mentally retained people... because I KNOW I am going to read "SSR" on a list of 'GM failures' within a year. The mindset is already gelling in some people's minds. :angry:

No idea about production run length, but what about expected sales?

When General Motors announced back in November that it would shutter the Lansing Craft Centre in Michigan, it expected to keep pushing SSRs out the front door until sometime this summer-- but the model's demand has fallen off the (already very low) table, hastening the plant's closure.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/18/chevrol...t-with-destiny/

I don't know how many were actually sold, but the intent was that it be limited from the start.

I remember a maximum capacity of something like 12-18k per year.

Anyone have the actual numbers?

Also don't forget, the plant itself is being closed down. If it wasn't, the SSR could have been around a while longer.

According to that Production page on GM news,

GMProduction Scheduals says the 07 year model will being production July 31 2006...

Where as the Production schedual does not specify for the Extended Trailblazers... because that plant will be closing...

of course i could be wrong,

I just really enjoyed the truck... but never got to drive it..

Although I know that it was to be a short production run, I'm said to see such a unique vehicle go. A neighbor of mine has a red one that he drives on occasion. I love seeing them on the road too, which isn't often. A few of my local Chevy dealers have already stopped carrying them, as they had a hard time selling many of the '04s and '05s (believe it or not, one dealer I go to for service actually had in September one of both years NEW, in addition to an '06!). I think the price kept many people away. I would love to own an '06 in the smoking asphalt & silver two-tone, but a quick search on GMBuyPower in my area showed none available for under $46k :blink::o:angry: