First Nissan loved the ION sedan,

avant1963

It's really funny that the Ion was used for inspiration. It was somewhat of an original design when it came out.. so I think that's one reason why they're flocking to this theme.

Just watch though.. all the journalists that bashed the Ion's styline are going to love the Sentra and Civic because of their "original" styling.

Proves that not only Korean, but Japanese automakers still have nothing original or truly innovative.

I swear to god, when I saw this picture in the new issue of AutoWeek, I said "What is an ION doing at the Toyko Auto Salon, but then I realized that this is the Asian Civic.  I'm still convinced it's an ION Red Line...

Posted Image

Further proof that Honda or Toyota can't come up with an original body style to save there lives! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Further proof that Honda or Toyota can't come up with an original body style to save there lives! :rolleyes:

Exactly!

As god awful as the Ion is/was from a quality and refinement standpoint, the styling seemed to be the main thing that the mags always harped on...only to see, now a few years later, that Honda and even Nissan (to a lesser extent, but still noticeable) can come out with almost an identical looking little sedan, just a bit odder, and it's all of a sudden just "unique" looking... :blink:

With those front end pics, I'd really like to get a measuring tape and ruler out and see just HOW close they really are...

Edited by caddycruiser

As god awful as the Ion is/was from a quality and refinement standpoint, the styling seemed to be the main thing that the mags always harped on...only to see, now a few years later, that Honda and even Nissan (to a lesser extent, but still noticeable) can come out with almost an identical looking little sedan, just a bit odder, and it's all of a sudden just "unique" looking... :blink:

With those front end pics, I'd really like to get a measuring tape and ruler out and see just HOW close they really are...

They are japanese...what do you expect?

cause Honda couldn't put that together on their own, oh wait they already did on the RSX

So what you are saying is that although Honda and Nissan copied the whole car, they (Honda ) was there first with the headlights. Wow! that is impressive.

All kiding aside, design is not that big of deal, original or not. Saturn did get a bad deal on the styling comments but the magazines, but should have done better on the details. Lets kiss and make up.

Posted Image

So... that's why the current RSX looks like this:

Posted Image

No matter what you say, you cannot deny that the new Honda Civic (especially the JDM Civic) looks like an Ion. The similarities are obvious. That and when you look at the current RSX to find out whatever few simularities it had with the new Civic are now gone... You'd have to be blind to deny it, simply put.

Regardless, what does the RL and non current RSX having the rounded things prove? ...That they still copied? Since the Civic's headlights look more like the Ion's than either and of those and a certain vehicle had those round things before either of them as well...

Posted Image

And if you wanted to get technical... vehicles like the 1997 Malibu had an early form of this general headlight design.

Posted Image

As did a few other vehicles...