Kia putting Chevrolet in its cross hairs

AW

DETROIT -- Watch out, Chevrolet. Kia Motors America has you in its cross hairs.

That caution from COO Len Hunt reflects marketing data showing that Chevrolet is the brand most frequently shopped by prospective Kia buyers, except for Hyundai, he told the Automotive News World Congress.

"When we take Hyundai out, Chevrolet, with its sporty image, is our biggest cross-shopping brand," Hunt said. "So be careful, that's where our customers are coming from."

Edited by regfootball

Guest YellowJacket894

Don't laugh. You laughed at Toyota 20 years ago, and look at the success they've had. You laughed at Hyundai 10 years ago... again, they've made huge inroads. History is on Kia's side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's more of a mix. Mix American apathy in with history and you've hit the nail on the head and bent it 45 degrees.

LOL...

I love how Kia is so determined as to say: "That's where our customers are coming from" especially since, over the last 2 years, Chevrolet has become an international powerhouse that is now the best selling brand in america....

It's almost as if these import companies have divided up Detroit like a big fat steak... Oh who am I kidding... They did that years ago and they've already off-ed Oldsmobile (Where the mid premium Acura/Toyota/Honda buyer lies.)

What exactly does the "So be careful" mean??? Is that directed toward the media?

Although nothing has been confirmed, "It's no secret we're looking to expand our manufacturing base in the U.S.," he said.

a.k.a. SO SPREAD THE WORD MEDIA!!! We want on the "We're american too" propaganda parade as well.

Having worked for VW, Jaguar, Audi and even Bentley, Hunt has seen how passionate owners can be for a vehicle brand

Anybody else find that somewhat of a funny statement?

We're just on the bottom rung, establishing confidence in our products through price and warranty," he says. "Next is building integrity into the brand."

Then comes pride in the brand, he says, and finally passion for the brand, adding: "Pride and passion lead to emotional allegiance to the brand, and it's passion that drives the business."

THAT, on the other hand, is PURE gold.

Don't laugh. You laughed at Toyota 20 years ago, and look at the success they've had. You laughed at Hyundai 10 years ago... again, they've made huge inroads. History is on Kia's side.

Difference is Hyundai's buyout of Kia dictates a ceiling for Kia products never to exceed. Its relegated to being their Chevy, their Plymouth, their Ford.

Difference is Hyundai's buyout of Kia dictates a ceiling for Kia products never to exceed. Its relegated to being their Chevy, their Plymouth, their Ford.

'Heirarchy' point taken, except for the fact that implies hyundai is somehow a notch above Chevy... when hyundai is more like the Geo and Kia is... I don't know what... beyond the world's LCD in vehicles...

the ONLY reason you'd buy a Kia is price. Don't say warranty, because the only reason the warranty is there is to validate your acceptance of the price as being the main reason for buying the car.

someone give me another valid reason besides cheap price why someone would buy a Kia.

-waiting-

Kia is such a pile of crap.  I hope they go away someday.

They build better quality cars now than Chevrolet.....at least from fit-and-finish, quality of materials, and build quality.

Compare Spectra to Cobalt......(new) Optima to Malibu..........(new) Sportage or Sorento to Equinox.

Now in most cases, I like the styling and design of the Chevrolet products over the Kia products.....but only a fool would call Kias a "pile of crap" now and only a fool would not take them seriously.

They build better quality cars now than Chevrolet.....at least from fit-and-finish, quality of materials, and build quality.

Compare Spectra to Cobalt......(new) Optima to Malibu..........(new) Sportage or Sorento to Equinox.

Now in most cases, I like the styling and design of the Chevrolet products over the Kia products.....but only a fool would call Kias a "pile of crap" now and only a fool would not take them seriously.

The Optima is a piece of crap, even compared to the Malibu. My father had one for a rental with 5,000 miles and I can testify to its lousiness.

The Optima is a piece of crap, even compared to the Malibu. My father had one for a rental with 5,000 miles and I can testify to its lousiness.

First of all, the "old" Optima wasn't a "piece of crap" and I've had them as rentals too....

The "new" Optima puts the Malibu to shame with regards to fit-and-finish, quality-of-materials, powertrain, and probably value.

The "new" Optima puts the Malibu to shame with regards to fit-and-finish, quality-of-materials, powertrain, and probably value.

1. Optima's starting price is $16,195. Malibu is $16,365. The Malibu comes std. with a 4-speed auto at that price -- whiel the Kia has a 5-speed manual. The Malibu gives you more hp and better gas mileage to boot. Seems like the Malibu wins, hands-down based on value -- and on Powertrain.

2. Quality? How about 4 1st place finishes in the last 5 years on jdpa's initial quality ranking? How about 3 1st place finishes in the last 5 years on jdpa's long-term durability + 1 3rd place finish? BTW, Kia didn't place in the top 3 in any of the previous 5 years in either survey.

3. Quality of materials is subjective - but considering how well the Malibu does in the above-mentioned and and the no-show on the Kia for quality and durability, the Kia better be silk with real gold-trim for me to not buy the Malibu.

Edited by cmattson

1. Optima's starting price is $16,195. Malibu is $16,365. The Malibu comes std. with a 4-speed auto at that price -- whiel the Kia has a 5-speed manual. The Malibu gives you more hp and better gas mileage to boot. Seems like the Malibu wins, hands-down based on value -- and on Powertrain.

2. Quality? How about 4 1st place finishes in the last 5 years on jdpa's initial quality ranking? How about 3 1st place finishes in the last 5 years on jdpa's long-term durability + 1 3rd place finish? BTW, Kia didn't place in the top 3 in any of the previous 5 years in either survey.

3. Quality of materials is subjective - but considering how well the Malibu does in the above-mentioned and and the no-show on the Kia for quality and durability, the Kia better be silk with real gold-trim for me to not buy the Malibu.

Fit-and-finish: I agree with OC.

Quality-of-materials: Again, I agree.

Powertrain: The Optima's 2.4 I4 and 3.3L V6 are more powerful than the Malibu's 2.2 and 3.5. The 3.9 in the SS does have 5 more horsepower than the Optima's 3.3, but has a four-speed automatic and 18/26 MPG.

Value: Optima comes standard with ESP and curtain bags.

Powertrain: The Optima's 2.4 I4 and 3.3L V6 are more powerful than the Malibu's 2.2 and 3.5. The 3.9 in the SS does have 5 more horsepower than the Optima's 3.3, but has a four-speed automatic and 18/26 MPG.

Really? I mean according to Kia's website..the 2.7L V6 is the best engine available...not the 3.3L. That engine has 170 hp and is rated at 20/27 versus the Malibu's 200 hp and 22/32. You couldn't have possibly not checked your facts now could you?

Value: Optima comes standard with ESP and curtain bags.

I don't even think ESP is an option on the Optima...let alone standard. Curtain bags are though yes. ABS and TC are both extra options no matter what trim level. Take a look at the top of the line Malibu and Optima...less than $1000 more for the Malibu yet look at home much more standard features there are....probably 3-4K worth.

http://www.chevrolet.com/comparator/chevy/...Id=&subModelId=

Compare the Malibu directly to the Optima...you'll see the Malibu compares quite favorably.

It is a reasonable comparsion to make between Chevy and Kia. Of course Kia hopes to be like Chevy one day. Ford and Toyota want to. KIa is a real threat in the long term. GM would be wise to leverage Daewoo products against Kia/Hyundai products.

Really?  I mean according to Kia's website..the 2.7L V6 is the best engine available...not the 3.3L.  That engine has 170 hp and is rated at 20/27 versus the Malibu's 200 hp and 22/32.  You couldn't have possibly not checked your facts now could you?

I don't even think ESP is an option on the Optima...let alone standard.  Curtain bags are though yes.  ABS and TC are both extra options no matter what trim level.  Take a look at the top of the line Malibu and Optima...less than $1000 more for the Malibu yet look at home much more standard features there are....probably 3-4K worth.

Compare the Malibu directly to the Optima...you'll see the Malibu compares quite favorably.

I'll requote him...

I think we're having a discrepency between the current Optima and the coming-in-Spring 2006.5 Optima. Has anyone (O.C.?) seen the new Optima? I'm seriously asking because I forgot the new one exists.

I stand by my assessment that the original Optima was pretty chintzy, though not in a humorous way a la Amanti.

I think we're having a discrepency between the current Optima and the coming-in-Spring 2006.5 Optima. Has anyone (O.C.?) seen the new Optima? I'm seriously asking because I forgot the new one exists.

I stand by my assessment that the original Optima was pretty chintzy, though not in a humorous way a la Amanti.

Yes, and it's rather fugly and generic:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is the 2006.5 Optima:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/na...602_kia_optima/

I just saw a link on Kia's website for it. Six airbags are standard but ESP is not standard. ABS and TC are still options. Engine is still the 2.7L V6 yet gets 185 hp...and the 4 cyl requires premium for some reason. Overall...still not impressed.

I'm curious though...as it says it is not yet available...how anyone has driven it.

I wouldn't totally forget about Kia but I think they've got a long, long, long way to go before they can compare themselves to Chevy...

Obviously you haven't driven one of their newer models lately......or even sat in them....

I HAVE sat in the new Optima.....and it is far superior in terms of packaging and materials.....and IF it drives as good as the new Sonata (on which it is based) then it will DRIVE far better than Malibu as well.....

Really?  I mean according to Kia's website..the 2.7L V6 is the best engine available...not the 3.3L.  That engine has 170 hp and is rated at 20/27 versus the Malibu's 200 hp and 22/32.  You couldn't have possibly not checked your facts now could you?

I don't even think ESP is an option on the Optima...let alone standard.  Curtain bags are though yes.  ABS and TC are both extra options no matter what trim level.  Take a look at the top of the line Malibu and Optima...less than $1000 more for the Malibu yet look at home much more standard features there are....probably 3-4K worth.

Are YOU quoting figures from the NEW Optima just shown at Frankfurt and NAIAS? That one follows the new Sonata....and as far as I know, it shares Sonata's basic suspension, chassis, and powertrians.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's funny....it looks like a FAR fresher design, inside and out, than Malibu. It's actually a nice looking car.

I sat in one.....and the materials and fit-and-finish are much better than the old Optima....and a serious upgrade over what GM offers in any of their compact or midsize cars.

Ok, so you're saying because it's Asian it'll always triumph and one day become a worldwide brand?

Ok, so you're saying because it's Asian it'll always triumph and one day become a worldwide brand?

I think he was saying there's no reason to think that Kia couldn't evolve from being a somewhat unimpressive brand to being very competitive as Toyota and Hyundai have done. His examples just happened to be Asian.

LOL.. Typical... And I'm sure we'll be seeing more of this "fact" in all sorts of media...

Afterall, ANYTHING is better than GM.

The World was told they were ready for the VW phaeton. They turned away because It Was Wrong, not because the car was bad.

Kia is still Wrong...

It kills me that all I read is; 'they've gotten so much better...' yet that half-thought is seldom accompanied with it's mate: '...but quality is still frighteningly bad'.

.....like Buick and Cadillac's longer warranty?

Hm-mmm; rather notable difference there. Cadillac & Buick's warranties are piece of mind bonuses on vehicles reknown for high quality.

Kia's towering warranty is a lunge at consumers yet leary of one of the worse quality nameplates in automotive history. One hopes the eventual buyer's 'experience' is not augmented by 'mitsu-san' treatment of complaints: ignore, bury & lie for 25 years...

.....like Buick and Cadillac's longer warranty?

Must you try to always disqualify any and all positives with GM's vehicles & Brands... while simultaneously defending one of the least reliable brands on the market? All this in a GM Fan Forum????

As FOG just stated, you act and talk as if “ANYTHING is better than GM” which is not the case. for example, you're so quick to call the Lucerne an "embarrassment to GM" yet you want to instantly elevate a Kia to an equal status of Honda/Toyota. Honda & Toyota both deservingly earned their reputations. Kia has earned its notoriously horrible reputation too. They've been worse than GM, even during the "dark 80's & 90's." GM's efforts and accomplishments over the past 10 years exhibit far more credibility and respect than just released vehicle(s) from Kia that aren't even in distribution yet. Potential is there, but your enthusiasm is no more valid or objective than passion exhibited by any other fan.

Are YOU quoting figures from the NEW Optima just shown at Frankfurt and NAIAS? That one follows the new Sonata....and as far as I know, it shares Sonata's basic suspension, chassis, and powertrians.

Slighty different but mostly the same:

Whereas the previous car was a restyled, bug-eyed version of the Hyundai Sonata, Kia claims that the Optima is significantly different from its Hyundai brother, although powertrains are still shared. Engine choices are include a 185-hp 2.7-liter V-6 and a 161-hp 2.4-liter four.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/na...602_kia_optima/

Ok so I wasn't even aware there was a new Optima coming out....and I can't see anything saying it has been released already...so how have people driven it?  It's not even listed as being at any of the big auto shows.

According to Kia's website, it doesn't come out until Spring 2006.

As far as I'm concerned, all foriegn automakers can go to hell and savor the heat and high flame. American engineering will always supercede the competition. You are safer in a domestic vehicle than a vehicle produced by Toyota, Hyundai, or Kia. Buy a GM or a Ford, then buy a Toyota or a Hyundai and rip them apart down to the frame and compare.

SAFER = DOMESTIC

DEATH BOX ON WHEELS = TOYOTA, HYUNDAI, KIA

Also consider this: Why would Hyundai & Kia offer such a long warranty on what The O.C. considers to be a superior powertrain? If memory serves me correctly, the engineers at GM that produced the 350 small-block Chevy drained it of oil and coolant. It took 2 hours before the block demolished itself. Considering that and the fact Chevrolet offers 1/3 the warranty Hyundai or Kia does, which would you consider to be the superior powertrain?

the ONLY reason you'd buy a Kia is price.  Don't say warranty, because the only reason the warranty is there is to validate your acceptance of the price as being the main reason for buying the car.

someone give me another valid reason besides cheap price why someone would buy a Kia.

-waiting-

They have better interiors than even some Toyotas and many american made vehicles, the new Sedona blows away many other minivans in power, refinement, features, price etc. They still have glove box lights, cig lighters, chrome trim, bodyside moldings even on there cheapest cars etc. There interiors and exteriors are very well put together. They share many parts with Hyundai who is recognised as making quality products etc. They use more modern and smooth shifting trannys than many competitors. They have better styling than Toyota in many cases.