Pontiac Tribute Day - June 1, 2010

Pontiac_day_header.jpg

In the wake of General Motors’ plans to discontinue the Pontiac marquee, which started in 1926 and which will end in 2010. A group of Pontiac Fiero enthusiasts based in Northern Illinois with members across the globe have organized a day to honor the brand that is best known for building excitement!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 was chosen because May 31, 2010 is the last day the dealerships can sell and advertise a Pontiac as a Pontiac dealership. By midnight on the May 31, 2010 Pontiac Motor Division officially ceases to exist.

Jim Hallman, President of the Northern Illinois Fiero Enthusiasts says, “Drive your Pontiac to work, a car show, or to the golf course, it does not matter where, just enjoy it on this day”. He added, “We want Pontiac owners to relive the excitement that General Motors has supported since the inception of the Pontiac brand. This is our way of saying thanks to GM”.

See link for more information and to sign up so GM knows you intend to drive your Pontiac on June 1st, 2010: http://www.pontiactributeday.com/

I'm getting a Pontiac hat and will be sure to wear red that day. It's not much, but the best I can do without the funds to buy a Pontiac. :firebird:

• 1 month later...

I'm getting a Pontiac hat and will be sure to wear red that day. It's not much, but the best I can do without the funds to buy a Pontiac. :firebird:

sad, i would like to get a pontiac hat but i dont think ill be able to find one in town

I have many friends in the NIFE group and see many names on the list I know.

I am glad they are doing it this way an not making some crazy protest out of this. It shows some class.

But this is not the first ending Pontiac Fiero owners have been through.

I wonder if I registered under John Delorean with a 64 GTO anyone would notice. lol!

• 5 weeks later...

While not as exciting as driving a '68 LeMans or another classic Poncho, I did take the wife's '08 G6 V6 Sedan yesterday for my work commute. I will miss the opportunity to buy a new Pontiac when the time comes. I'll never forget the Pontiacs from my youth (late '70s/early '80s), the new models I desired in my teenage and young adult years, and the ones I got to drive off the lot ('95 Trans Am <used>, '99 Grand Am GT, '00 Grand Prix GT, '08 G6) or helped others buy for themselves. RIP Pontiac (1926-2009) :closedeyes: