F**K.

The Cobalt's brakes just committed suicide. One minute I had brakes, the next... *grind, shake, screech, clank* It feels like the front pads decided to disintegrate. It was very sudden. I knew I would probably need brakes soon, but I certainly wasn't expecting that. I haven't had any time to inspect them, but needless to say, it can't be driven like this. I have half the braking power and its very obviously doing further damage by the sounds and vibrations its making. I hear and feel more from the left side, so it may just be the front left.

Another random issue: My ignition release is being screwy. Turning off the key requires hitting the shift lever a few times before the key will release. It use to be an every now and then sort of thing. Now its every single time.

I definitely just about emptied my bank account on the Golf, too. I might as well work on getting the final touches done so I can drive it instead. My latest shipment of parts just arrived today.

015-2.jpg

The Cobalt's brakes just committed suicide. One minute I had brakes, the next... *grind, shake, screech, clank* It feels like the front pads decided to disintegrate. It was very sudden. I knew I would probably need brakes soon, but I certainly wasn't expecting that. I haven't had any time to inspect them, but needless to say, it can't be driven like this. I have half the braking power and its very obviously doing further damage by the sounds and vibrations its making. I hear and feel more from the left side, so it may just be the front left.

Sounds like you might have blown a pad.

Another random issue: My ignition release is being screwy. Turning off the key requires hitting the shift lever a few times before the key will release. It use to be an every now and then sort of thing. Now its every single time.

It's apparently a common problem with automatic Cobalts (including mine). It has to do with the neutral-safety switch in the console. Next time I have to bring it in, I'll have them replace it - extended warranty should cover it.

Sounds like you might have blown a pad.

It's apparently a common problem with automatic Cobalts (including mine). It has to do with the neutral-safety switch in the console. Next time I have to bring it in, I'll have them replace it - extended warranty should cover it.

Probably just a cable or switch adjustment on the NSS & the pad yeah they get thin then overheat the bonding agent BOOM no brakes typical of bonded brake pads though the warning must have squealed for 'bout 10-12 weeks

It'll be a cheap fix if done yourself even getting the rotors turned @ pep boys for $5 each pads 20-$25 just do it now before any more damage is done mechanical or life & limb God speed

Probably just a cable or switch adjustment on the NSS & the pad yeah they get thin then overheat the bonding agent BOOM no brakes typical of bonded brake pads though the warning must have squealed for 'bout 10-12 weeks

It'll be a cheap fix if done yourself even getting the rotors turned @ pep boys for $5 each pads 20-$25 just do it now before any more damage is done mechanical or life & limb God speed

The brakes have never squealed. They were quiet and in working order up until last night.

You have worn pads. I had something similar happen to the Firebird that ended with the passenger side rotor, pad, and caliper being completely seized. The pad was worn down to the metal backing (this was only a short time after I bought it, so I didn't know the pads were that far gone yet). It didn't show much of any loss in stopping power or make any loud noises, either.

Check the pads out.

Edited by whiteknight

You have worn pads.

Check the pads out.

Wow! I never would have guessed. Thanks! :P;)

I simply find it odd that it happened so suddenly. As mentioned, they hadn't even squealed up this point. A little roughness had developed recently, but nothing that made me believe I'd lose my brakes in a matter of maybe an hour. I'm also amazed that the factory brakes were only able to make it to 37k.

Edited by blackviper8891

I simply find it odd that it happened so suddenly. As mentioned, they hadn't even squealed up this point. A little roughness had developed recently, but nothing that made me believe I'd lose my brakes in a matter of maybe an hour. I'm also amazed that the factory brakes were only able to make it to 37k.

You said the weather was wet recently... did the weather then go below freezing shortly afterward?

Could it be possible that water got into wear related crevices in the brake pads, froze/expanded, and compromised the integrity of the pad?

A wise guy are ya? Them's fightin' werds down hurr.

Don't expect too much from factory GM brakes -- or any set of brakes really -- on Deltas and Epsilon cars. It seems they like to chew 'em up quick. The factory brakes on my parents' Aura went at 41k miles. I've heard similar stories as well concerning N-Body Grand Ams and Aleros.

Don't expect too much from factory GM brakes -- or any set of brakes really -- on Deltas and Epsilon cars. It seems they like to chew 'em up quick. The factory brakes on my parents' Aura went at 41k miles. I've heard similar stories as well concerning N-Body Grand Ams and Aleros.

I'd point out my fellow Canadian with a certain yellow Cobalt that has 160000km/100000mi on the factory brakes.

My car eats rotors and so does my Dad's new 09. On my 07 we had the rotors machined twice (20000km and 35000km) due to shuddering while braking before they eventually replaced the front rotors- problem solved touch wood. Obviously they didn't fix the issue because it's starting to crop up on my dad's 09 even though it has like 17000km on it right now. Perhaps it's telling that GM changed the rotor design for the current gen Impala twice, in 2009 and 2011.

You said the weather was wet recently... did the weather then go below freezing shortly afterward?

Could it be possible that water got into wear related crevices in the brake pads, froze/expanded, and compromised the integrity of the pad?

It never dipped below 40 degrees F here.

I've heard about N-bodies and their ability to eat brakes. I was hoping something had changed since then. Obviously not.

I've seen this happen since the FWD bandwagon started the rear brakes are almost just for show when my STE Turbo's rear disks rusted up I never noticed that there was a problem seemed to stop as normal. Igrew up with all those FWD cars starting my career as a mechanic their brakes sucked and still do the best were the Full sized & Seville Eldorado Toronado Riviera which had vented disks.My X11 went just 20K miles between pads every set till I took it to the scrap yard 67K miles :nono:

I am so sorry. I had a day like you are experiencing right now yesterday. It was the whole day and a series of things. It was not all car related. I do understand ....

I am sorry as well...it seems to be a $h!ty week for everyone I know...

Sounds like the pad fractured and a chunk fell-off.

Rotors and pads are an easy fix, can be done before the engine cools.

+1

Aaaaaaand I just got word that I most likely don't have a job anymore as of Saturday.

Ouch...economy is in the crap hole...

Pictures pretty much say it all. The insides were sh!t, especially the driver side where the pad is pretty much nonexistent. Outside of each rotor was fine... with even the pads still having decent life left in them. I find it odd how there can be such a vast difference between each side of the rotor.

brakesuckage.jpg

brakesuckagee.jpg

Edited by blackviper8891

I'll bet the last time it was inspected for the Commonwealth, the technician didn't even check the thickness of the inside pad. That's a shame.

Uneven caliper pressure? Is that anywhere near a normal occurrence?