Intrepidation

The Best Engine Noise

What, to you, is the best noise you've ever heard come from a car (or truck)? In your response you should, if possible find a video or sound clip for all of us to hear and enjoy it.

I've thought about this one for a while. I love the sound of V8's. Ferrari V8s make some fantastic noise, however I generally prefer a deeper note. Top examples include the Corvette ZR1, Challenger SRT8, Mustang GT500, and V8 Vantage. I love V8's and plan to own one at some point.

With that sound, the best sound I have ever heard is none of those. It's not a V8 either. The best sound for me comes from the Lamborghini Murcielago, specifically the LP670-4 SV. The way it revs and howls just makes my hair stand on end any time I listen to it. Nothing else I've heard sounds like it (the closest being the Gallardo's V10). So here's not one, but two videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e324MRs85sg

I love it.

So what about you? What's the best noise to come from a car?

I'd say we have the winner here.

There is no winner as this is all about your own opinion.

Anyway, that radial powered car is both insane and quite cool, though I was a bit disappointed not to see some sort of flat out acceleration, and that all that power is both cool and wasted going to a dinky little car with skinny tires. Still awesome though, especially to see pieces being hand made. The sound does nothing for me, but it's very cool nonetheless.

Naw, if it's gonna be a radial it's gotta be the Wright Cyclone Model R-1820-97 engines on the B-17.

Speaking of aircraft, equally awesome is the Rolls Royce Merlin engine equipped in the P-51 Mustang.

Of course this is a bit off topic since these are planes, not cars, but oh well. :P

One of the better I've heard in person was a '66 Ford GT40 race car. Hearing the 427 fire up w/ the engine cover open whilst standing a foot from it was quite the aural experience.

The sounds of a Ferrari F360 engine echoing off ancient stone walls in Milan 6 years ago was quite impressive also IIRC.

Not going to post a you tube link, because you almost have to actually be in the car to feel it...but I like the ford Modular V8's, esp. with a turbo or supercharger added.

And Balthazar, I've heard the 427 vintage drag raced in a Thunderbolt replica....very...very impressive.

The only thing that leaves me cold about the Lambo and the Aston is sure they sound powerful, but they don't seem to have any personality.

It's slightly off topic, but still GM made. Scroll forward to 3:55 to skip all the chatter and hear the startup.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The only thing that leaves me cold about the Lambo and the Aston is sure they sound powerful, but they don't seem to have any personality.

Couldn't disagree more, but that's your opinion.

The entire 1972 CanAm field coming at you out of turn 11 or 14 .................

PS: Turn 11 or 14 at Road America

PS: Turn 11 or 14 at Road America

Anyone on here familiar w/ Infineon (Sears Point) raceway in Nor Cal? What turns are best for seating? Thinking about going to the Indy Car race there in August.

Any tuned VW VR6 is instant sex to the ears.

Clicky #3

At the last auto cross got to ride along in a VR6 GTI...I would agree on the sound of that...

Duramax Impala against lambo :

:wub: the Gallardo's V10 and how you can hear it over the Chevy. Both awesome, although the results are predicable: heavily modified car VS what sounds and looks to be stock car would love to see what happens when some corner are thrown into the mix. ;)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook