Dodge Aspen for '07???

toesuf94

:duh: Does the Dodge Aspen nameplate garner anything other than a snicker from true auto fans? I can only hope that there will be a Dodge Aspen Volare edition.

http://www.chrysler.com/aspen/

now, I know that it is merely a rebodied Durango, but it really is kinda nice looking.

My only question is: do you think the Aspen name was a wise choice considering the previous vehicles that the name conjures up?

:duh: Does the Dodge Aspen nameplate garner anything other than a snicker from true auto fans?  I can only hope that there will be a Dodge Aspen Volare edition.

now, I know that it is merely a rebodied Durango, but it really is kinda nice looking.

My only question is:  do you think the Aspen name was a wise choice considering the previous vehicles that the name conjures up?

Im 22, the aspen name means nothing to me, but that SUV looks like a joke.

It actually is a very nice looking SUV, and not anymore badge engineered than a new '07 Yukon is vs. a Tahoe....actually it's a little more differentiated than those, in truth.

Very nice upgrade from the already nice, if a tiny bit cheap, Durango, which is a terrific truck otherwise.

Edited by caddycruiser

:duh: Does the Dodge Aspen nameplate garner anything other than a snicker from true auto fans?  I can only hope that there will be a Dodge Aspen Volare edition.

My only question is:  do you think the Aspen name was a wise choice considering the previous vehicles that the name conjures up?

Dodge isn't reviving the Aspen name, Chrysler is introducing it for the first time. The last Dodge Aspen was produced nearly a quarter century ago. Among the few people who have bad memories of the Dodge model are the few owners they had (remember, this was when Chrysler Corporation was at its lowest point). Enough time has passed that only the most rabit car enthusiasts, the most irritated former owners, and car magazines will make the connection between the Dodge Aspen of the 1970s (Motor Trend's Car of the Year, as I recall) and the Chrysler Aspen introduced 30 years later.

Besides, "Aspen" is a good, REAL name for a vehicle.

The Chrysler Aspen is a huge improvement over the hideous Durango, IMHO. It's a name quite fitting for an SUV and most buyers won't remember the '70s crapmobile.

Edited by moltar

:lol: yeah, i think it is much better than the Durango myself, in fact I find it to be quite a handsome truck. I just don't know if I can get past the name. ( Not that I am in the market for one...still saving for the Z28 next year :P ) Our babysitter loves it, which is interesting to me that a 19 YO lady is interested in such a car - prbly not Diamler Chrysler's target demographic...anywho...my only issue was with the name. But if it is just me that snickers...good for them.

Does anybody remember that apple-flavored Aspen soda from years ago?

I'm with Hudson on the name for the SUV--enough time has passed for the name to be revived. And this vehicle gives Chrysler a less ugly alternative to the Durango that cost next to nothing to develop.

While I make fun of the Aspen/Volare's styling a lot and pretty often I will admit that compared to the K-cars and other FWD junk that Mopar made in the 1980s these 70s old-school relics were by far better.

While I make fun of the Aspen/Volare's styling a lot and pretty often I will admit that compared to the K-cars and other FWD junk that Mopar made in the 1980s these 70s old-school relics were by far better.

Having experienced both the Volare and Aries, the K-Car was far BETTER. The Volare was definitely a car of the 1970s and had the quirks of that time (rust, quality, and reliability problems), but the Aries was eons further along than that. The only positives on the side of the Aspen/Volare were RWD and V8s, but the Aries was lighter, had better use of space, had better reliability (mine anyway), had excellent fuel economy, and very good power.

^^ nice.

I had a '78 Volare sedan. It was in great shape when bought and was nothing but reliable. Only malady was a tendancy for 'run-on' at the end of my ownership. The Super Six (2bbl 225) had admirable power & economy for the '70s (the 360-equipped cars were tested in the low 7s to 60- manual trans 6s were tested at 23 MPG). No quality gripes on my car- interior was nicer & far less tacky than many in it's class and mine also had no exterior or assembly issues. It really was a comfortable, roomy car with decent spunk for a '70s 6.

"Better use of (LESS) space" is still less space; K-cars were much more cramped.

God- sounds like I almost miss it...

^^ nice.

I had a '78 Volare sedan. It was in great shape when bought and was nothing but reliable. Only malady was a tendancy for 'run-on' at the end of my ownership. The Super Six (2bbl 225) had admirable power & economy for the '70s (the 360-equipped cars were tested in the low 7s to 60- manual trans 6s were tested at 23 MPG). No quality gripes on my car- interior was nicer & far less tacky than many in it's class and mine also had no exterior or assembly issues. It really was a comfortable, roomy car with decent spunk for a '70s 6.

"Better use of (LESS) space" is still less space; K-cars were much more cramped.

God- sounds like I almost miss it...

My 4-speed 2.2L (2bbl) Aries was quick (I never timed it, but it impressed a guy who restored GTOs). It was roomy enough for six in a pinch, and five comfortably. It rarely got below 25 mpg in daily driving and could reach 40mpg on the highway. Pretty impressive for a vinyl-seated, base model 2-door sedan.

I actually do miss mine.

The Chrysler Aspen is a huge improvement over the hideous Durango, IMHO.  It's a name quite fitting for an SUV and most buyers won't remember the '70s crapmobile.

Personally, I thought quite the opposite-I thought Durango was a nice, aggressive break in the truck-based large SUV mold-the one and only reason I agree with the Chrysler Aspen is that Jeep failed to make Commander a large SUV.

Personally, I thought quite the opposite-I thought Durango was a nice, aggressive break in the truck-based large SUV mold-the one and only reason I agree with the Chrysler Aspen is that Jeep failed to make Commander a large SUV.

And there you have it.....now there is a Chrysler Group large SUV for everyone!

"Hate the Durango?....try an Aspen. Liked the Durango to begin with?, why don't you have one?.....we went through all this trouble to make the Aspen!"

K-Cars are not junk. They saved the company through their permutations and featured some of the most reliable four-cylinder engines ever made (Chrysler fours, not the carbed Mitsu 2.6).

In the G-body form, they made the cool looking Daytona and Laser.

The H-body form gave us the rejected-by-Americans Lancer and LeBaron GTS hatchbacks that were Chrysler's attempt at a Euro-style automobile.

The E-bodies were the first extended K's. These include the E-Class, Caravelle, 600, and New Yorker.

The P-bodies gave the small economy minded Shadow and Sundance which were the antecedents of the Neon.

The company saving minivans!

And of course, the K-Cars. These were basic transport for anyperson.

And of course, with these cars, Chrysler seemed determined to bring turbocharging to the masses. Even the minivans offered turbocharged engines!

Although I don't like the looks of either the Aspen or Durango, at least Chrysler is trying to offer something for everyone. I mean, with only the Durango facing the crowd as the single large SUV from the five-pointed star, at least now there are others.

Sixty, I also hope you realize that unlike all the "Hemi"-badged[/i] cars today, turbo'd K-cars had actual Hemi engines.

Not true. The "hemi" engines used in K-cars were the Mitsubishi 2.6L engines, which were not offered turbocharged in any Chrysler made product.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how one SUV will bring back memories of K-car and P-bodies. I'm 19, so the Aspen name doesn't mean much to me. I took a look at the Dodge Aspen...I dunno I think it looks pretty nice

Posted Image

That interior is hideous, but such was the norm of most cars of the era.

Posted Image

--

Anyway I think it's a nice name, in fact Aspen sounds more classy than Durango to me, which is the mission of the Chrysler Aspen anyway. I also think Chrysler did a nice job cleaning up the Durango...I hate that front end, worst one in the Dodge lineup...hope the refresh fixes it.

Posted Image

Posted Image1

The interior looks way nicer too, with lighter colors and a guage binnacle shade that doesn't go halfway across the dash (I hate those huge shades that Dodges had up until recently)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

Guest flowmotion

The Aspen name might be largely forgotten, but historically it's infamous as the car that almost bankrupted Chrysler.

The previous Dodge Dart had a reputation of being simple and bulletproof, but the Aspen replacement was almost universally regarded as a hunk of crap. As Wikipedia says "The Aspen and Volare would achieve one of the worst recall records of the 1970s."

Almost every car mag review of this truck is going to make a passing reference about the old Aspen, which will only serve to reinforce "American=Bad Quality" among certain audiences. Otherwise it's a great name for an SUV...

Edited by flowmotion

The Aspen name might be largely forgotten, but historically it's infamous as the car that almost bankrupted Chrysler.

The previous Dodge Dart had a reputation of being simple and bulletproof, but the Aspen replacement was almost universally regarded as a hunk of crap. As Wikipedia says "The Aspen and Volare would achieve one of the worst recall records of the 1970s."

Almost every car mag review of this truck is going to make a passing reference about the old Aspen, which will only serve to reinforce "American=Bad Quality" among certain audiences. Otherwise it's a great name for an SUV...

I could see them taking cheap shots at it for a joke, but since the Durango has been a good vehicle with pretty good reviews, it's hard to imagine them coming up with an excuse that some fancy interior trim and a new nose makes it worse lol.

Reviewer: omg teh @$p3n...1t suxorz cuz 1t h@$ a d1f3rnt noz3 th@n teh dur@ng0

1t w1ll bl0w up w/ 1ts n3w fr0nt 3nd cuz I @m teh 1337 @uto m@n i knoz @ll!1 l0lz!!1! @m3ric@n c@rz suxorz!11!1 h0rjay for r1ce m0b1l3z!1l

Edited by Dodgefan

Guest flowmotion

I could see them taking cheap shots at it for a joke,

Exactly! Why would you want people (car writers) making jokes about your crappy cars from 30 years ago? You want people concentrating on the positives of the Chrysler brand, like the styling connection with the 300 -- not the negatives from the bad old days. It seems like someone flunked Marketing 101.

(The l33tsp3k thing is sorta funny, but I'm talking about kinds of Ma'n'Pa reviews that appear in the Sunday Paper, not the asian hotrod crowd.)

Exactly! Why would you want people (car writers) making jokes about your crappy cars from 30 years ago? You want people concentrating on the positives of the Chrysler brand, like the styling connection with the 300 -- not the negatives from the bad old days. It seems like someone flunked Marketing 101.

(The l33tsp3k thing is sorta funny, but I'm talking about kinds of Ma'n'Pa reviews that appear in the Sunday Paper, not the asian hotrod crowd.)

lol i know but i thought it'd be funny to toss the l33tsp3k in. I think most people won't care, I mean, the original aspen was a car, this thing is a big SUV, plus it's Chrysler branded. Although I see your point, but at the same time I like the name, I don't care about the original Aspen, I'm sure a lot of average people will feel the same.

Edited by Dodgefan