Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buyacargetacheck

US Should Get Pursuit

34 posts in this topic

The US should get the Pursuit. I know, I know. Pontiac isn't about economy, it's about performance. Hear me out. The problem is that the US and rest of world are about to enter a permanent geology-driven energy crisis that will make the political energy crises of 1973 and 1979 look like blips on the radar screens. Google "peak oil" for further explanation. Within a year, Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealers will be howling for a low-priced, high mileage sedan as buyers get more practical. SUV and V-8 sales (even with DOD) will stagnate. GM should be working on getting a 1.8L (or smaller) engine available for the Pursuit (and Cobalt) that will get at least 30mpg in the city. P/B/G dealers will be grateful to have such an offering much like Buick dealers were to have Opels to sell in 1974. Speaking of Buick, this energy crisis may be the catalyst that finally kills Buick. Buick has neither enough prestige to attract the truly wealthy buyers whose buying patterns will be least affected nor the economical choices for the rest of us still buying cars. Edited by buyacargetacheck

Uh... Yes, no, and maybe. Yes, because Pontiac needs a Pursuit sized car. No, because Pontiac does not need that rebadge here. And Maybe, because economy needs to be addressed somehow...

disagree. Because of the upcoming gas crisis debacle, Pontiac needs the Pursuit, and fast. But, they should differentiate what they can versus the Cobalt as much as possible and go for sport tuned suspensions, larger wheels, and different interior colors, fabrics, and accents. Example, how about a 'G4' GXP sedan with a supercharged stage 1 or 2 ecotec and 6 speed manual, with charcoal interior (can't get that color interior on the Cobalt sedan) and other niceties............ HELL the G6 should get a stage 2 ecotec option on the base model with a sport package. Edited by regfootball

Pontiac needs the Pursuit because Pontiacs image hasnt been diluted enough. Pontiac should turn into the economy car brand, because that will make me want one so bad. That, and because a 4cyl kappa coupe and sedan would only get like 10 miles per gallon, seeing as kappa is so huge and weighs almost 3000lbs. (sarcasm)

I wonder why the Chevy dealers aren't complaining. The PBG dealers complained that they needed the Pursuit because they didn't have a small car to fit the market, but they are actually stealing sales from the Cobalt.

That grafted on Kidney grille reminds me of those 80s Rolls Royce grilles on thefront of a Cadillac Brougham. (not a compliment)

I disagree. A smaller engine (< 2.0) shouldn't end up in a Pontiac. I would reserve something like that for the Aveo; which, based on it's weight and it's smaller-displacement engine, should be getting far better gas mileage than it currently gets.

If only the Pursuit had its own identity, a different skin, I'd say yes.

[post="8316"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I totally agree-and if that were the case, then I would be all for Pursuit coming here. It would need to be upgraded from Cobalt, with more standard and optional equipment, even if that meant taking away models and features from Cobalt, especially to better compete with the Mazda 3-the Pontiac would need to be more stylish and sporty, styled after the 2000 Piranha (which is what I'd name it) and 2001 REV concept cars.

Pontiac should really get the Astra hatches...but no one feels me on this one, believing they should go to Saturn.

The worst Pontiac rebadge car was the 1981-87 T1000, the "Ponti-ette". The 2nd was the 83-84 Parisiennes, with the exact same sheet metal as the Caprice. Why spend extra for it over the Chevy?

Pontiac doesn't need any more badge jobs. It does need something for the compact segment, however. I hope Pontiac is working on it. All they have to do is give the Cobalt a new exterior and interior. The innards can stay the same. Maybe they're waiting for the next gen of Delta to do anything.

I think Pontiac in America would be well served by the Pursuit. It needs this car. Especially now. Edited by HarleyEarl

If Pontiac is to get something economical it should be based on Kappa. I will be pretty mad if the Pursuit is basically just a Cobalt clone when it comes to the US, and I won't be happy even if it's not. If GM is serious about Pontiac being a performance division then they won't give them any sort of Cobalt clone other than maybe an SS/SC clone.

Pontiac seems to have this 'performance' image and attitude and yet if you look at their lineups throughout time, it would suggest otherwise. I'll bet GM and Pontiac while chatting up this image will not actually have a catalogue of cars that fully backs it up. Look at it now, mediocre rebadged minivans, 4 cyl G6s, 4cyl Torrents(Chevy rebadge), entry level Grand Prixs that are anything but performance and the Vibe/Toyota clone with a slow 4 cyl. I'm not feeling this performance thing. It's a marketing ploy at this point. I don't see the Pursuit as being much different than what's currently going on.

Then what is the point of Pontiac? If they're just going to be rebadged Chevies then they're clearly just a marketing division and nothing more save the Solstice and GTO. I'd like to see Pontiac survived, but I could care less if their entire lineup consists of rebaged Chevies in the near future.

Damn good question.  What is the point of Pontiac?  GM may be asking that as we speak.

[post="9379"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The answer is that Pontiac/GMC/Buick dealers provide just that many more sales outlets to sell cars and trucks for GM. It's really just that simple. Even if Pontiacs were straight rebadges of Chevys with no differences, people would still buy them because of the miriad of reasons why they find good value at the local PGB dealer (better price, good service, the salesman knows his stuff, whatever). It's a matter of more distribution of production. Remember in 1984 and 1985, peak years for Olds and Buick, there wasn't much difference in how the cars drove, how they were priced, or how they were equipped. The difference was that Olds and Buick A, B, C, E, G, J and N-bodies were sold at (mostly) different dealers. This is an old practice that's been harder to keep up mainly because GM's offerings while not bad haven't been good enough to stem Toyota and Honda's onslaught.

A Kappa based 4-door and 2-door would fit the bill for a low price economy perfectly for Pontiac. They would get good gas mileage, start a market that doesn't exist, and just be plain old hot.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0