Spy Shots: New Mercedes CL-Class (Updated)

Those photos are "computer-enhanced."  Expect it to look better in person and for real.

Let's hope so...right now it looks bloated and just doesn't look good at all. I love the current CL...this is a dissapointment.

O.C., I shared your opinion of the S-Class until I started seeing them on the road. 

I can honestly say it's gorgeous in person.

i saw it at the auto show and also sat in it.

its not stunning in person. its not a dramatic diff from the last one overall. the interior is nice other than the geriatric dash.

the four door coupe mercedes makes is a true stunner. the s class is merely pleasant.

give me an XJ, maserati or A8 instead.

Edited by regfootball

Reminds me more of a Hyundai than anything else.

Funny how corporate tie-ups, regardless how brief, lead to similar styling.

O.C., I shared your opinion of the S-Class until I started seeing them on the road. 

I can honestly say it's gorgeous in person.

.....see, to me, on the road they look bloated and overweight and decisively un-glamourous.....

......certainly not anywhere near as imposing and athletic-looking as a sport-packaged 750 or just about any Audi A8.....OR the previous, AMG version (or AMG-wheel-equipped) S-class.

I've never been a Maybach fan...and to me, it just looks like a slightly-shrunken Maybach....

I was talking last night to a close friend that is a (automotive) wholesaler....and he said that the new S-class is getting a chilly reception in the eyes of many consumers. Of course some will buy it JUST because it's the "new" S-class....but he said the resale values of the previous-generation S-class, while they took a nose-dive JUST prior to the arrival of the new S, are starting to solidify as a result of people seeing the new one in person.

Even in car-conscious southern California, I've only seen two new ones on the road now.....

On a side-note........(from this same friend).....M-Benz of Laguna Niguel, one of the largest-volume Benz dealers in the country, is selling only 7 (!) new R-classes per month....and just rec'd a shipment of 50 (!) new ones to stock.....!

Both the A8 and Jag XJ are simply the best-looking high-lux fullsizers around in their carriage and overall look. Even the restyled 7er has some odd angles, notably (still) the rear, though its better than the ghastly original.

The new S isn't horrible, but it just isn't anything worthwhile, IMO. The last generation looked quite nice in comparison. This has a mini-Maybach look which begs the question, what's the point of Maybach?

O.C., the lack of R-Class movement isn't surprising. Its big, ungainly and expennnnnnnnnnnnnsive. Plus, everyone already has a Mercedes. No one cares anymore.

I have actually started to see a lot more S-class' recently. The car is stunning in person, to me. It is detailed, athletic, elegant, and stylized. I'd call it and the M-class two of the most stylish new products on the road, and the CLS, A8, and S the most stylish sedans on the road. The new front end in person isn't a dramatic departure, but the improvements are profound and rachet up the grace and flow of the lines.

The wierd thing about this picture of the new CL and the new S is how much inspiration is taken from BMW. The S has a blatant Bangle butt, only well done and graceful, like the refreshed 7 has become. The CL's sides and lower bodywork scream 3-series and Z4. As is these are computer enhanced shots, the side is awful, though the rear I could see liking. The front is clearly not representative of a new MB.

Edited by turbo200

• 2 months later...

Update:

There are new shots out. Once again camo-free and this time there is no major computer enhancement. Everything you see should be what the CL will look like in showrooms

Read "Spy photos: 2008 Mercedes Benz CL coupe" @ Edmunds Straightline

from your link:

Other than some minor enhancement to clean off some strategically placed pieces of tape

yeaaaaaaaa...I wanna see the spy shots

I have actually started to see a lot more S-class' recently. The car is stunning in person, to me. It is detailed, athletic, elegant, and stylized. I'd call it and the M-class two of the most stylish new products on the road, and the CLS, A8, and S the most stylish sedans on the road. The new front end in person isn't a dramatic departure, but the improvements are profound and rachet up the grace and flow of the lines.

The wierd thing about this picture of the new CL and the new S is how much inspiration is taken from BMW. The S has a blatant Bangle butt, only well done and graceful, like the refreshed 7 has become. The CL's sides and lower bodywork scream 3-series and Z4. As is these are computer enhanced shots, the side is awful, though the rear I could see liking. The front is clearly not representative of a new MB.

Yeah, my aunt has a S550 "Launch Edition" and it's stunning in person, both inside and out. I love the designo touches (graphite paint, black/cream interior, extended leather, matte wood) and the glass roof, but sadly it doesn't have Distronic. Between that and the 7-series, I'd have a hard time.

• 4 weeks later...