F-ing Gov't. !

Camino LS6

Yeah I see what ya mean the neck is short and stiff not flexible it wouldn't even make it into the filler neck. The last ones I bought were crappy and the mandated safety valve failed after the 3rd use but you can use it, it just spills if tipped over I have to block it in place. The very reason that the stupid DOT CODE was put in place :explode:

Just found an interesting thread (if a bit out of date since PA no longer lets the stores sell any good cans). Check out the safety problems with the new cans.

http://www.opeonthenet.com/archives/1206/t_03315.html

Yeah I see what ya mean the neck is short and stiff not flexible it wouldn't even make it into the filler neck. The last ones I bought were crappy and the mandated safety valve failed after the 3rd use but you can use it, it just spills if tipped over I have to block it in place. The very reason that the stupid DOT CODE was put in place :explode:

Yeah, typical government stupidity.

I must have been born after the golden age of gasoline containment technology, but any containment unit which safely stores petroleum product and allows for it to be poured back out works for me. We have one of the newer ones. It holds gas. It pours gas. It doesn't rust. I don't see the problem.

• Agree 1

Small Actions, Cleaner Air

* Refuel in the evening. Heat and sunlight convert gas fumes into ground-level ozone. You can reduce ozone pollution by refueling in the evening. This gives gas vapors a chance to dissipate overnight, making it less likely that they’ll contribute to ozone the following day.

* Stop at the click. Overfilling your gas tank increases the likelihood of spills and can damage your car’s emission controls. Remove the nozzle from your gas tank when it shuts off automatically.

* Drive friendly. Speeding, rapid acceleration and hard braking can lower your gas mileage by as much as 5 percent in town and 33 percent on the highway.

* Adopt a no-idling policy. If your car isn’t moving for more than 30 seconds, turn off your engine! You’ll save money on gas and prevent volumes of car exhaust, which contributes to local air pollution, from being emitted into the air.

* Avoid excess loads. For every extra 100 pounds you haul in your car, you’ll reduce your gas mileage by 1 to 2 percent.

* Use the cruise. Maintaining a constant speed with cruise control will help conserve fuel. Using overdrive gears will also save gas by slowing engine speed and reducing engine wear.

* Check the air in your tires. Keeping tires properly inflated can improve your gas mileage by 3 percent — or about 18 gallons of gas per year for the average driver.

* Replace old filters. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve your gas mileage by 10 percent, or about 55 gallons per year. Be sure to check all filters (oil, gas, and air) regularly and make sure they remain in good condition.

* Have regular tune-ups. This will save you an average of 4 percent, or about 23 gallons per year. Never ignore a check engine or other warning light.

* Make simple replacements. Switching to a newer gas cap can save you 30 gallons per year.

* Check all fluids regularly and change them according to your owner’s manual. Simply using the correct weight of oil can save you 1–2 percent, or 9 gallons per year.

* Quiz your mechanic. He or she should be familiar with modern emission control systems.

Old School Looking Can Metal Can (Plus C&G Amazon Credit Link)

* Eagle U2-51-S gas safety can is made with no top or side seam and a double interlock no-weld bottom seam

* Made of lead-free, hot-dipped 24-gauge, deep-drawn galvanized steel with baked-on high gloss powder coat finish

* The filler spout and flame arrestors in both openings are non-sparking brass designed for flashback protection

* Features two openings: a pressure-relief spring closing lid for filling, and an actuated pour valve with a flexible metal spout for safer controlled dispensing

* Made in the USA; 100-percent leak tested

* 100% leak tested

* Lead-free, hot-dipped 24-gauge, deep-drawn galvanized steel construction with a baked-on high gloss powder coat finish with Bright, silk-screened trilingual warning label

* Meet OSHA and NFPA Code 30 requirements, FM, UL & ULC listed

* Spring closing lid with neoprene gasket vents at 5 psi internal pressure and Flame arrester screens in filler and dispensing spout

* The only deep drawn construction safety can made with no top or side seam and a double interlock no-weld bottom seam

So you're holding the stupid can with one hand, trying to aim it at the lawn mower. You're holding the ridiculous button with the other hand, what do you use to physically put the spout into the lawn mower tank? It is an ungainly setup and it sucks big time.

I think they should sell plastic gas cans at any auto parts store and larger gas stations, probably at Wal Mart or Target also...I bet the cheaper ones are about 10 bucks.

I had to use one last year, kind of weird driving around with it inside (since I don't have a trunk, had to sit it in the rear floor, w/ the right rear window down).

http://shop.advancea...3322_T|GRPD____

Unscrew funnel. Screw spout onto can. Problem solved.

That looks like its too narrow. Pouring gas into that would be pretty tedious. Also, funnels need to be dried off or you get gas in your trunk... and once dried off, you have a gassy rag in your trunk.

I understand where Camino is coming from, as he's using larger cans on a variety of devices everyday... whereas you're using a small gas can occasionally. There is a big difference between using a relatively light 5 gallon gas can on a car and using a unwieldy 20 gallon can on a tractor over your head. And I'm sure the bulk of the equipment Camino uses is not vapor sealed anyway.

I haven't used one of these newer ones yet, but I have used the previous CAFE/EPA enforced tanks and found that on some cars (like a 1966 Lincoln) even brand new gas cans were nearly unable to get gas into the vehicle without turning the can completely upside down... at which point the "safety" device leaked gas all over me and the car.

Of course, I normally don't use the gas can spouts... I just unscrew them and pour. So when it comes to gas cans, I only care that they don't leak while closed in the back of my car. In the last few years, I really haven't had a leakage problem... so I'm not too upset.

Honestly, what a lot of these cans need is a simple cap. I wonder where a fitting cap could be sourced... I'll have to keep an eye out.

Yeah, I had to buy one of these obnoxious pieces of $h! a few years ago when we were in a pinch.

Probably spilled 2.5 of the 5 gallons on the car and ground trying to pour without a spout and hold the PITA f*****g trigger.

Way to go environMENTALists!

FAIL

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

While I haven't seen the actual CARB rules, it appears that these new CARB rules (in effect since 1/1/09) only apply to 5 gallon or smaller containers. Looking at larger containers, I see a lot of the older "No-Spill" containers, which have worked reasonably well for me the past few years.

It appears a lot of resellers are selling replacement spouts for the containers... effectively rendering this regulation useless and making the richer ever so much more richer...

Paying $60 for a gas can just doesn't figure in here.

I sure do wish my old cans hadn't been in the barn when it burned.

Well it has everything you want: it's made of metal, it doesn't have a CARB spout, it's even Made in USA. I mean sure there might be a cheaper Chinese one, but would you really rather buy it?

I mean if I were a connoisseur of fuel containment units then clearly this lead-free, hot-dipped 24-gauge, deep-drawn galvanized steel construction with a baked-on high gloss powder coat finish gas can is the only way to go.

I'd probably get an electric lawn mower before I'd deal with gas cans.

(I've thought about getting an electric mower as my experience w/ yard services has been so spotty over the last few years, have an electric string trimmer and tree trimmer already).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

wife ran out of gas a mile from home one cold ass night last winter. she was forced to buy a gas can at the gas station by the offramp which she stalled since the copper helped her.

a new, 10 dollar, 2.5 gallon gas can I didn't want or need.

little did i know, this summer, the first time i used it, I try to get gas to pour out of the fhiopjo[pjoinouuuuuucking spout and DAMMIT how the f@#k does this piece of $h! work?

Still haven't been able to figure it out. Whenever I need to pour gas from it, i take the flex spout off my other gas can. I pour the gas, I put that stupid piece of $h! back on.

It's actually a f@#king hazard to try to pour gas with that new piece of $h!.

Camino, I completely feel your angst on this one.

wife ran out of gas a mile from home one cold ass night last winter. she was forced to buy a gas can at the gas station by the offramp which she stalled since the copper helped her.

a new, 10 dollar, 2.5 gallon gas can I didn't want or need.

little did i know, this summer, the first time i used it, I try to get gas to pour out of the fhiopjo[pjoinouuuuuucking spout and DAMMIT how the f@#k does this piece of $h! work?

Still haven't been able to figure it out. Whenever I need to pour gas from it, i take the flex spout off my other gas can. I pour the gas, I put that stupid piece of $h! back on.

It's actually a f@#king hazard to try to pour gas with that new piece of $h!.

Camino, I completely feel your angst on this one.

Seriously? It's not rocket science.

didn't wanna uck with it considering when you want to cut your lawn, just fill the damn tank, and get going. the good old fashioned spout and vent worked fine.

after that, i had no desire to try to play around with it. The fact that the spout is not flexible is a major hassle. When i pour gas into my mower and blower, i love the flexible spout because i don't have to tip the can much, and i can use the flexible spout to direct it nicely and still be able to see into the tank. Not having the flexible spout is not something i want so i chose not to bother with it.

Especially on my 4 cycle weed trimmer. the tank is small and in order to fill it you have to be very careful in balancing the trimmer when you set it down so the tank and opening are at the exact right angle so gas flows in, does not overflow, and you can visually see how fast you fill it. It is absolutely imperative that you have great flexibility with being able to tip the gas can as little as possible, since it will literally fill up in a few seconds even with a trickle flow.

Edited by regfootball

I have one of these newer 1-gal cans. I bought one for diesel so I can refill the DuraMax's giant fuel filter before installing it. There is no lip on a fuel filter to catch the finger on that stupid rigid spout, and even if there were, it's still, again, a situation where you need to see the level to avoid spilling fuel, and the flexibility to control flow.

The anger comes from a forced 'solution' that no one asked for, that is only functional in the real world in ideal situations.

The fact remains, that in order to get that control back, one is forced to circumvent the 'solution' and it's intentions/goals, which renders said 'solution' even more pointless.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

Maybe I'm an overachiever, but I've never had a problem with one of them newfangled gas cans on either the cars or the lawn mower. After reading this, I'm starting to think I deserve an award for being able to move gasoline from a plastic container into the fuel tank of whatever needs fuel without spilling said fuel on the ground.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Maybe I'm an overachiever, but I've never had a problem with one of them newfangled gas cans on either the cars or the lawn mower. After reading this, I'm starting to think I deserve an award for being able to move gasoline from a plastic container into the fuel tank of whatever needs fuel without spilling said fuel on the ground.

It wouldn't be a day on C&G without Camino starting a thread to complain about something.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

post-253-0-39271300-1295561879.png

• Agree 3