Why So Serious?

Cory Wolfe

Because it's that time of the month... or year, rather. One of those times is probably a better way to put it. It's something I frequently go though. To put it simply, I'm never satisfied; always looking for something refreshing and new (to me). It's essentially a flavor of the month affair, but in an automotive sense. If you were unable to grasp where I'm heading with this, I'll spell it out for you. I'm looking for another car, and rather seriously, at that. While I've found joy in my current vehicles, I find myself aspiring to greater offerings. One thing has always rang true and that is my love for amenities. Between my last few vehicles, I've constantly bemoaned the lack of equipment each vehicle offered for enjoyment. It all dates back to when I first purchased my 1995 Mazda Millenia. It was my first and only experience with a truly luxurious vehicle. Since that time, I've owned many bare-bones vehicles.

The first in succession to the Millenia was my 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. As a $500.00 beater, it served me well enough. However, living with it pained me. It's lack of equipment was astonishing, leaving me unable to even adjust my seat-back. To it's credit, it dates back to a different time and place in the automotive world. It was a time when most people focused on driving their car, without a care as to how many gadgets to came with. In addition, it was also a time when carburetors and overly restricted (yet not very effective) emissions controls were prevalent. Due to this and my poor timing, purchasing the Cutlass right as gas made its way up to $4/gallon, it was difficult to justify continued use of such a vehicle on a daily basis. After having a string of dependability issues, I set out to find a replacement.

After finding it on a lesser-known dealership lot, I couldn't pass up my next vehicle, a 1998 Volkswagen Jetta. It marked my first foray into German engineering and I haven't looked back. I've become a life-long aficionado of the people's car company since that time. It was exactly what I needed; proving to be reliable, fuel efficient, and comfortable. It offered me new and intriguing quirks I had not experienced until then, as well as its tossable driving characteristics. It presented a step towards the premium automotive life, once more. Not the whole shebang, by any means, but something I could live with. After nearly a year, I have many fond memories to look back on up until the end. Yes, the end was painful, with my Jetta giving way to keep me safe in a head-on collision. I hadn't imagined such an event ever happening and it has forever changed my driving characteristics.

Searching for a replacement began right where I had left off: with Volkswagen. After a few months, I had envisioned a life with an even nicer Jetta. Perhaps a GTI, even. This time around, I knew exactly what I wanted, yet that's not how it ended. Once my Grandmother passed away, my Grandfather was left with her 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. It was a vehicle I helped steer her into and unfortunately, one my Grandfather couldn't live with, himself. With the timing being right and a family's aversion to over-charging a relative, I had an opportunity I couldn't pass up. I soon became the owner of this Cobalt and endured many miles of driving over the time of my ownership. I had racked up over 30,000 mostly trouble free miles in little over a year. It offered me something I never had to worry about beyond my various, though minor, quibbles. All it took was one fateful trip through New Jersey to bring that run to an end. Months before losing my Cobalt to a rear-ending, I picked up a 1994 Volkswagen Golf as a fixxer-upper. It was my way of getting back into the Volkswagen fold and would prove to be my savior.

At the time of the accident, this Volkswagen Golf had been a garage queen since its trip home. I spent the majority of last winter working on this car, bringing it back life. After having torn down my Jetta to its bare shell, I gained confidence in my ability to embark on this journey. I proceeded to gather the parts I would need and soon started to have at it. What I didn't know, was all the complications I was about to run into. Starting with a beat up shell, I had planned on replacing the needed parts without much fanfare. Such was not the case. There were many quizzical surprises unearthed as I progressed, each one proving more difficult to overcome. This Golf had lived a hard life, encompassed by many battle scars too deep to repair within my means. Coming to that realization, and needing a vehicle to drive, I finished it to the best of my ability. It never turned out the exact way I wanted to and hasn't lived up to memories I was left with of my beloved Jetta. Enter, the dark side.

In September, I had just started at my new job after being relegated to unemployment through the Summer. It wasn't much, but would net me some additional income while I considered college aspirations. To say the least, Pizza Delivery is a rather simple job and not very demanding. That is, depending on who you ask. If you were to ask my Golf, it would beg for savior of sorts. To say such a job is hard on vehicles is an understatement and this proved to be the Golf's weakness. Only a few weeks in, various parts failed and could not withstand the abuse. At that time, my Mother was looking for a vehicle for herself and I would frequent the classifieds. I never intended to pursuit a purchase on my own, yet that is exactly what happened. Just days after having my throttle cable snap while on the job, a listing for a 1991 Honda CRX showed up and I simply couldn't resist. Shortly thereafter, my driveway had grown a little larger.

This brings me to today. I am currently saddled with two vehicles, my Golf and my CRX. The latter of which has become my more frequently used vehicle, leaving the former for emergencies. Looking them over, they both offer similar amenities; one focusing more on utility, one more on efficiency. Both are fairly basic and stick to needs, not wants. Over the course of the last few months, I've realized that I only want one of them. It's been clear since the CRX became my overwhelming favorite for daily use. I decided to list the Golf for sale, leaving the CRX for continued daily use.

It's time to move on to greater aspirations. I've embarked on a search for something to serve as my secondary vehicle.

My aspirations are simple; I want luxury, comfort, and power. Since it will only compliment my already efficient CRX, that will not be a requirement. The same can be said for any athleticism, though to a lesser extent. Handling still weighs heavy on my consideration, but will not be the top deciding factor. As always, I love evading the commonality; indulging in quirkiness. The few things I am pretentiously avoiding include the archaic Panthers, rabid W-bodies, and the like. This is a search for prestige. To showcase some of the vehicles of which I am considering, I have included some Motorweek videos for you to enjoy and discuss.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

With the Passat W8, you'll have something relatively rare. And probably the most familiar to you. (EDIT: There is that pending investigation for engine fires, but at the moment it's just an investigation.)

The 300M is the best looking sedan Chrysler has built in my lifetime. In my opinion, of course.

The 3 Series and TL are cool, but are bordering on a-dime-a-dozen status. Don't know if that matters much to you or not.

And, of course, I'm partial to the Bonneville. I would have bought an SSEi or GXP if I were able to find one at the time.

Edited by Lamar

Chrysler Crossfire.was always a looker.

Bigger question: prestige for whom? By that I mean, whom are you trying to impress? Prestige means a lot of different things to different people...for some it's an Impala SS or Fleetwood Brougham circa 1996, for others it's a 3-series, still others won't settle for anything less than an S-Class, etc. If you want advice on a status symbol purchase, we need to know what group you're trying to impress.

The Passat W8 would be a money pit.

As they say w/ luxury cars, 'if you can't afford it new, you can't afford it used'. German luxury cars seem to degrade into money pits of pain as they get older. I'm still trying to get my sister to unload the German driveway ornaments she has now (and drives maybe 20 miles a month).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

If you're considering a Bonneville, you may want to go with a H-body one over the G-body. I'm not hearing good things about the G-body holding up too well.... premature rust issues, water leaks. Just general issue with things not being build right from the get go. I have considered adding a G-body Bonneville to the fleet, and I just like the older H-body ergonomics better.

Obviously, if you want something based on age, this won't fly... or if you want the series III supercharged or the V8.

If you do go with the G-body Bonne, check it out VERY closely.

300M Special can play with the premium marques of the era, yet won't break the bank like say, the VW or BMW will when a repair may be needed. It's also a great handling car for its size, and you can upgrade lots of things on it using other Chrysler components (like installing an RB1 navigation system) There are a few areas where things can get expensive. 300M Special bumpers are quite pricey, and struts, springs, and sway bars are dealer only. Rear sway bar bushings are difficult to find. However, most of the parts are shared with its platform mates.

VWs... not my thing and they can be a pretty big PITA to work and be expensive to repair, but you do like your VWs. ;)

That generation 3-Series is still my favorite, but repair costs and reliability would be my concern.

TL's are handsome cars and they have nice interiors. I've heard things about the transmissions in those, and I know someone who hated theirs, but that's all I really know. I'd image a well kept one would be pretty reliable.

I don't know how premium I would classify the Bonneville, but I have always liked them, besides the interior. That was major put off for me.

Of the listed cars the 300M Special is the only one I can offer any meaningful insight on, but I can offer a fair amount of it. So if you have any questions feel free to post or PM me.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

If you're considering a Bonneville, you may want to go with a H-body one over the G-body. I'm not hearing good things about the G-body holding up too well.... premature rust issues, water leaks. Just general issue with things not being build right from the get go. I have considered adding a G-body Bonneville to the fleet, and I just like the older H-body ergonomics better.

Obviously, if you want something based on age, this won't fly... or if you want the series III supercharged or the V8.

If you do go with the G-body Bonne, check it out VERY closely.

Really? The only thing I was aware of with the last-gen Bonnies were the rear window regulators.

budget is a good question.

I like the idea Croc has, Crossfire. LOW MILEAGE units are out there and not at all pricey. But, only a 2 seater. An SRT6 is what I would get I would get one even over a Solstice or Sky.

To expand on the VW thing...are there any used Phaetons out there?

Further with the VW thing...how about some older but well kept Audis? A8's A6's, S6's, S4's, RS6's TT's......Audi made a lot of nice specialty versions that would really be neat finds.

How bout one of the aluminum Jag XJ's?

A w8 is cool but actually at that point the engine is just too much for a passat. So that was where my Phaeton suggestion came in.

some GM ideas....

first gen CTSv? or STSv? Or even just a first gen CTS.

Mazdaspeed6?

Old Lexus IS (especially the IS sportcross wagon) or the very first Lexus SC or even an old Supra or Stealth / 3000 GT?

THere are lots of good G bodies and Chysler 300's of several vintages out there.

Some decent Infiniti G's out there.

Edited by regfootball

The only thing I've heard about G-Bodies is that the brakes suck and wear out prematurely.

Bonnies, or all G-bodies? My Aurora doesn't have that problem.

Riffing off of reg's post...what about a SECOND gen Catera? You know, 2000-2002? AFTER they got all the bugs fixed and changed out the taillights?

Edited by Croc

I've always had a soft sport of the Bonneville, although I never cared fore its 26 air vent interior.

Bonnville.jpg

Bonnies, or all G-bodies? My Aurora doesn't have that problem.

Riffing off of reg's post...what about a SECOND gen Catera? You know, 2000-2002? AFTER they got all the bugs fixed and changed out the taillights?

the catera sport in its last year or two was a real handler and they had spruced up the dash i guess. One of my friends had a catera....prob a pre-2002. He couldn't wait to unload it....he finally got the chance to this year for a new Charger.

Old BMW M coupe? the roadster with the hatch.......

Mercedes C Class hatch?

Edited by regfootball

Don't bother with the second gen Catera, they fixed up the reliability but still try to find someone to work on the damn thing.... and I believe it still used timing belts.

2004 or 2005 CTS what where I was going with my budget question. 2004 is the first year of the 3.6, 2005 is the first year of the 3.6 + manual transmission.

Bigger question: prestige for whom? By that I mean, whom are you trying to impress? Prestige means a lot of different things to different people...for some it's an Impala SS or Fleetwood Brougham circa 1996, for others it's a 3-series, still others won't settle for anything less than an S-Class, etc. If you want advice on a status symbol purchase, we need to know what group you're trying to impress.

Prestige for myself. I have a pretty wide range if you're considering the literal meaning. I more or less want something with the ability to coddle me all sorts of way, while not being a complete boat in the handling department. Ideally, I want something with 6 cylinders, though overall power would probably be more important in the end.

The car I really want would be a 2006 Volkswagen Passat VR6 Sport. It fits what I'm looking for to a tee, but after looking at values, it's still out of my price range at this point.

Another car that's on my list, though one I couldn't find any videos for, is the Mazda Millenia. I've already had one and wouldn't mind another. It's on the lower end of the spectrum, however.

Mostly ideal Mazda Millenia, save for the engine. I would only consider the Miller Cycle this time around.

300M Special can play with the premium marques of the era, yet won't break the bank like say, the VW or BMW will when a repair may be needed. It's also a great handling car for its size, and you can upgrade lots of things on it using other Chrysler components (like installing an RB1 navigation system) There are a few areas where things can get expensive. 300M Special bumpers are quite pricey, and struts, springs, and sway bars are dealer only. Rear sway bar bushings are difficult to find. However, most of the parts are shared with its platform mates.

Of the listed cars the 300M Special is the only one I can offer any meaningful insight on, but I can offer a fair amount of it. So if you have any questions feel free to post or PM me.

The Chrysler 300M Special seems to be a great multitasker. Sporty, luxurious, stylish, roomy, high quality, and yet affordable.

What's your budget?

Upper end is around $9k. Ideally, $6k or $7k is what I would like to spend.

To expand on the VW thing...are there any used Phaetons out there?

Further with the VW thing...how about some older but well kept Audis? A8's A6's, S6's, S4's, RS6's TT's......Audi made a lot of nice specialty versions that would really be neat finds.

A w8 is cool but actually at that point the engine is just too much for a passat. So that was where my Phaeton suggestion came in.

Phaeton would simply be a nightmare. The Passat's don't have nearly as many components to possibly break, beyond the technically advanced W8.

The same logic for the Phaeton plays into the Audi game, which doesn't seem to have as good of a track record as equivalent BMW's or Mercedes, especially considering what I would want.

The Chrysler 300M Special seems to be a great multitasker. Sporty, luxurious, stylish, roomy, high quality, and yet affordable.

It's also reasonably powerful with 255 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque, and like I said, not to costly to maintain, pretty easy to work on by modern car standards, and parts are easy to get (besides plenum badges and rear sway bar bushings for whatever reason).

2002 is the year to get ideally. After that Daimler cost cutting and decontenting came into play. Can be remedied by some parts hunting, but with an `02 you're already there.

What about an Aurora? I know nothing of them, but I'm sure Croc does and they fit the bill for what you're looking for too.

Prestige for myself. I have a pretty wide range if you're considering the literal meaning. I more or less want something with the ability to coddle me all sorts of way, while not being a complete boat in the handling department. Ideally, I want something with 6 cylinders, though overall power would probably be more important in the end.

...I can't help you dude :lol:

This Car and Driver Competition features a few of the vehicles I'm looking at, ignoring the Volvo, Lexus, and Mitsubishi. Also to note, since it's also featured, the Bonneville is there for consideration, mostly. I've always liked it, but it's not quite what I would want. It's interior is the biggest hindrance.

If you like the Bonnie but want a nice interior, get an Aurora. They're in your price range, on the low end, and I'm always asked what kind of Lexus it is when people see the interior. They handle great. There are a lot of little thoughtful details in it, to the extent that I learned something new and cool about it almost every day for the first year.

Trade-offs: 3.5 has better weight distribution, and the gas tank has 1 more gallon of capacity vs. the 4.0. The 4.0 compensates for the added weight of the V8 by reducing the fuel tank a gallon and adding an aluminum rear decklid. The 6 has fantastic power; I highly doubt you'd miss the 8. I got the 6. HOWEVER...the transmission with the 3.5 is a known weak point with solenoids and throttle position sensors that commonly go bad. I've been lucky, but repairs could be expensive.

Both models: like the Bonneville, rear window regulators are an issue because those rear windows are large and expansive, and thus the regulators are prone to failure due to the weight of the glass. I've had to replace one, but it wasn't too bad. Check out the Aurora Club of North America for more information on things, but I want to leave you with my verdict:

I LOVE MY CAR, I DON'T WANT TO EVER GET RID OF IT!!

It is a VERY satisfying car to drive. Just do your due diligence and make sure you get a good one. They seem to be either problem-free or a complete money pit, nothing in-between. But I got a good one and I love it!

Weird that the regulators are an issue, H cars have pretty massive rear windows but its not a known problem.

One thing to note about all LH's is that Evaporator cores are a known issue. Easy way to tell (besides if it doesn't work at all) is if there's any hissing coming from the dash when the ac is on or just turned off. Not a hard job just an involving one. And if you look at one make sure to know if the timing belt tensioner pulley, and waterpump were changed.

Oh and what about a Saab 9-3?

Weird that the regulators are an issue, H cars have pretty massive rear windows but its not a known problem.

Go on any Bonneville of Aurora forum and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of posts about rear window regulators. These cars are G-bodies, and GM forgot to beef up the regulators so over time the nylon degrades and you hit a big enough bump and whoops, your window falls open and can't get up.

It happens on the Aurora because there are no rear quarter windows (rear windows only open about 45% of the way down since there's no room in the doors for this massive piece of glass), and while the Bonneville has rear quarters, its beltline is a bit lower than the Aurora's so the greenhouse is taller despite having pretty much the exact same roofline.

2nd_gen_Oldsmobile_Aurora.jpg

vs.

Pontiac_Bonneville_--_07-09-2009.jpg

Edited by Croc

I would totally rock one of those final year Eldorados

I used to feel the same way... however...

After watching the trouble some dudes were having getting a Northstar starter out of an Eldo in a pick-a-part, I'm not such I'd want to rock a late model Caddy so much.

The starter was outrageous priced new (or so he claimed) and I could see no way of getting it out of the car without moving the engine about 3-4 inches. Even in the Pick-a-part where he could destroy whatever needed to be destroyed, they went home empty handed and had to come back with bigger prybars and hammers.

Overall, the Northstars looked like real PITAs to work on.

I used to feel the same way... however...

After watching the trouble some dudes were having getting a Northstar starter out of an Eldo in a pick-a-part, I'm not such I'd want to rock a late model Caddy so much.

The starter was outrageous priced new (or so he claimed) and I could see no way of getting it out of the car without moving the engine about 3-4 inches. Even in the Pick-a-part where he could destroy whatever needed to be destroyed, they went home empty handed and had to come back with bigger prybars and hammers.

Overall, the Northstars looked like real PITAs to work on.

$100 plus shipping on Rock Auto.

$100 plus shipping on Rock Auto.

As I said, "or so he claimed". He likely got a crazy price at an auto parts place or dealer, not having our internet resources at hand.

I only witnessed the holy hell he was having trying to get it out. Granted, with the right tools, pushing the engine over is no big deal, but in the junkyard, you're kinda limited... sort of like when your starter dies in the Staples parking lot and you decide to swap it right there.

look at the picture of the backseat. this is the proper way to trim out the rear seat of a cadillac coupe.

True..but the Eldo was a much larger car inside and out than the tiny CTS coupe.

That's a sharp Eldo...always liked the Eldos and the last two generations of Sevilles..great lines, and real decklids..not a trunk lid that is five inches long and 4 feet high..

Heh, when I read that, I thought he was referring to this:

81sevil.jpg

Heh-heh..if you flatten the sides of the quarters and make the rear more vertical, it does have a similar rear shape to a modern decklid. I was referring to the strange butt of the CTS coupe.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

There are these magic gnomes called "mechanics" who will do the work in Exchange for some magic money shaped beans.

...and the amount of money shaped beans required is related to the number of hours required to make the repair according to the mechanic's labor guidebook. Harder to work on... more expensive for mechanic to work on.

Several people commented that in respect to the luxury foreign makes, if you can't afford them new, you can't afford them used. Well, some Cadillacs will find themselves in a similar position, due to labor.

There is a reason I see perfectly nice late model Cadillacs in the junkyard on a regular basis. Those gnomes wanted too much money to perform regular repairs.

Besides, this is BV we're talking about. It was my understanding he did most of his own work,

I want to own one of those Sevilles one day...

I've always liked those cars, along w/ the Eldorados of the same generation. Those '79-85 Eldos were so crisp..I esp. like the ones w/ the stainless steel roof, and also the Biarittz convertibles.

Well I've already arranged with my father that when inheritances come about, I get my grandmother's Colonial Yellow 1980 Sedan de Ville V6 with white vinyl top and white interior (yes, the opera lamps still work). I'd love a 1980 Seville to complement that fleet.

I have an '02 Passat that I love dearly, but even I wouldn't buy a W8 unless if it were insanely cheap. The W8 is a pretty low volume engine that's difficult to maintain (timing chain is rear-mounted, so you have to pull the whole thing for any repairs), and it's thirsty and not all that powerful. My 1.8T has 100K miles now, and despite going through a lot (two new teenage drivers, two collisions), it's been reliable, save for a recall or two or three.

In 2004, VW started selling Passat 1.8T manuals with 4Motion, which would make for a rare ride that can still be worked on, or you could get an Audi. Turbos can make a lot of power with a few modifications, albeit at the expense of drivability. E46s are easy to work on and reliable, too. Get a RWD one with snow tires. Wagon, preferably. :P

Here's a pic of my Passat from last summer... it's since been tinted, and it looks a lot better now.

post-28-0-92021700-1297064237.jpg