Cruze Steering Wheels fallin off ??

It was only one car and as far as I I heard it jsut came losse and I have seen the came off video. Either way no one was hurt and the car was not damaged per what GM stated.

It was just the odd ball failure If this had been Kia or Honda I bet we may have never heard of it.

I think they are checking the other cars to just make sure it was not a line wrench failure that may have effected the other cars. If it was one car it may have just been human error.

As it has been going the launch on the Cruze has been pretty smooth. I am thrilled that so far there is only 1 major issue with one Cruze. Can't say that for many other GM cars over the last few years.

I think in a year the quality numbers will be pretty good on this car. No car is perfect but I bet this one will have the highest quality numbers for about any GM car.

Edited by hyperv6

I don't think this is an isolated incident. Someone my brother used to work with told him to stay away from the Cruze because of an "outstanding safety issue".

He told my brother to stay away from 1st year Cruze's specifically even though the Cruze's manufatured later don't have the problem. He specifically said there is a safety issue with the car with something that WILL fail. They knew about it, whatever it was. If this wasn't it I can't really imagine what it would be.

This is not BS on my part, I don't know if this is what the gentleman was talking about; all I know is that there is (was) something wrong with the car and GM knows.

If GM knew about this I'd REALLY lose a lot of respect for the company, somebody could have been killed. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just stating what I heard and it could easily be false because its he said she said type of garbage.

Gm better fix this and better make sure it doesn't happen again. There's a distinct difference between a dash rattle, an engine failure and say...your freaking steering wheel falling off

It was only one car and as far as I I heard it jsut came losse and I have seen the came off video. Either way no one was hurt and the car was not damaged per what GM stated.

It was just the odd ball failure If this had been Kia or Honda I bet we may have never heard of it.

I think they are checking the other cars to just make sure it was not a line wrench failure that may have effected the other cars. If it was one car it may have just been human error.

As it has been going the launch on the Cruze has been pretty smooth. I am thrilled that so far there is only 1 major issue with one Cruze. Can't say that for many other GM cars over the last few years.

I think in a year the quality numbers will be pretty good on this car. No car is perfect but I bet this one will have the highest quality numbers for about any GM car.

From what I remember after reading the articles a few days back, an incorrect steering wheel was originally installed on the vehicle and then caught later down the line. It was replaced with the correct one, but the correct one wasn't properly attached.

To fix the issue, GM is making it so the machine that holds/installs the steering wheels won't accept an incorrect steering wheel, and they are recalling all the Cruzes from that production run to make sure.

The thing that confuses me is, why do they need to recall all the Cruzes from that production run? Was an incorrect steering wheel installed onto all of them, and then later switched with the correct one? I think that may be the case.

The thing that confuses me is, why do they need to recall all the Cruzes from that production run? Was an incorrect steering wheel installed onto all of them, and then later switched with the correct one? I think that may be the case.

Maybe they have no way of determining which units have the wrong wheel so they will install the correct one instead on all..

I don't think this is an isolated incident. Someone my brother used to work with told him to stay away from the Cruze because of an "outstanding safety issue". He told my brother to stay away from 1st year Cruze's specifically even though the Cruze's manufatured later don't have the problem. He specifically said there is a safety issue with the car with something that WILL fail. They knew about it, whatever it was. If this wasn't it I can't really imagine what it would be.

This is not BS on my part, I don't know if this is what the gentleman was talking about; all I know is that there is (was) something wrong with the car and GM knows.

No disrespect - but you don't "know"; you have the word a "someone" you brother 'used to work with's say-so.

From what I remember after reading the articles a few days back, an incorrect steering wheel was originally installed on the vehicle and then caught later down the line. It was replaced with the correct one, but the correct one wasn't properly attached.

To fix the issue, GM is making it so the machine that holds/installs the steering wheels won't accept an incorrect steering wheel, and they are recalling all the Cruzes from that production run to make sure.

I expect it is something along these line.

I have to agree with the goofy guy in the video that wheels just don't fall off. I have pulled enought wheels to know they even if the nut is missing they are usally difficult to remove. That is why they make steering wheel pullers. A wrong wheel say from a Nox looks like a Cruze wheel and could have a different offset that did not let the wheel tighten down as it should.

For a wrong wheel it had to be a supplier error as all the cars on the Lordstown plant all use the same type wheel.

Edited by hyperv6

I don't think this is an isolated incident. Someone my brother used to work with told him to stay away from the Cruze because of an "outstanding safety issue". He told my brother to stay away from 1st year Cruze's specifically even though the Cruze's manufatured later don't have the problem. He specifically said there is a safety issue with the car with something that WILL fail. They knew about it, whatever it was. If this wasn't it I can't really imagine what it would be.

No disrespect - but you don't "know"; you have the word a "someone" you brother 'used to work with's say-so.

But when my sisters other brothers wifes boyfriend who knows a guy in Jersey that has a cousin in Youngstown who knows a guy at the plant who heard from the union rep that there was an issue it has to be true. :rolleyes:

It is a little soon to cry the sky is falling.

None taken. I said myself that this could be way off or not what the person in question was talking about.

But when my sisters other brothers wifes boyfriend who knows a guy in Jersey that has a cousin in Youngstown who knows a guy at the plant who heard from the union rep that there was an issue it has to be true. :rolleyes:

It is a little soon to cry the sky is falling.

The relation is much closer than that and this is a trusted person in our circle.

I already said what I'm saying isn't necessarily a fact; I don't want to go in-depth, this is the internet.

I'm just saying GM is a company like any other; I just hope they aren't a company like Toyota with regards to this $h!.

I seriously hope its not true personally but who the hell knows

Edited by Mike The Canadian

Glad it was uselessly delayed in NA 3 years to get all the bugs out of it.

Exactly, I thought the reason they sold it in other countries was to work bugs out and have a flawless launch. Steering wheel falling off is a pretty big problem. Car & Driver just did a small car comparison and the Cruze was 4th out of 5. Civic and Corolla weren't in that, since they are dated and getting redone soon. I can see the Cruze being back of the pack by 2012, and a rental sedan like the Cobalt with deep discounts by 2013. And when is the new one, 2016 or beyond? Then GM will replace it with a new car with a new name.

I am not a fan of telescope steering. I think that is what you call it where the wheel can be pushed in and out. I could see this system going bad as the car ages. I don't know if the Cruze or Camry has the telescoping system or not.

I am not a fan of telescope steering. I think that is what you call it where the wheel can be pushed in and out. I could see this system going bad as the car ages. I don't know if the Cruze or Camry has the telescoping system or not.

Mike, please don't take it personel. It is just too often we see many post on the web that have news from 2nd, 3rd and 4th removed sources. It just reminded me of them.

Too early to get too excited on this. It could just be a simple human error on one car or a supplier error. As long as humans build cars there will be recalls. The goal is to keep them to a minimum. Like I said wheels just don't fall off even if you want them too.

Heck even the Camaro has more recalls and more issues at this point in production than the Cruze.

As for those who are whinning about the delay get over it. The car we have for the most was done a while ago and the lack of money put it behind. I think you find they will update this car much sooner and may even replace it sooner. I just don't see living as long on as long as the Cavalier or even the Cobalt without major changes or replacment. This segment is just as important as the Malibu's.

This was funny! I hope he is not here among us at C & G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKYgKR3BJiw

WTF was that? Wierd, incoherent dude..

See what happens when they stop making Star Wars movies. These guy branch out between conventions into other media. Either way it was funny. Could this be Buickman today?

Edited by hyperv6

Telescoping steering uses a very simple mechanism. Usually it's just a couple rails and a sliding shaft. There are a million other things that would go wrong first, and chances are the worst thing that would happen is that the tracks would get gunked up and it would stop sliding.

• Agree 1