Sketch Competition #4 - 2009 Chevrolet Impala

Welcome to Sketch Competition #4!

There's no questioning the great excitement surrounding the upcoming 2009 Impala and exactly what form it will take. Comments by GM's Chief Designer Ed Wellburn have lead many to speculate that rather than evolutionary, it will definitely be influenced by historic Impala models, specifically the 1967 model year.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to sketch what your ideal 2009 Impala will look like. Your sketch should include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:

-3/4 Front View

-3/4 Rear View

-Interior View

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views, the better, including ones not specifically listed above.

The only rules aside from 800x600 size guidelines are that it must have some element of historic styling. Exactly what and how much is entirely at your discretion. Also, keep in mind its highly likely this car will be rear-wheel drive.

The winner will recieve a Chevy Impala-related prize!

Deadline is Monday, May 1st @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck! :CG_all:

cleaned mine up... fixed proportions and stuff... im in love with this... if they make it look like this... i will love it forever

Posted Image

good luck to everyone... im excited to see all the designs... this contest is gunna be awesome

Edited by 04monteintimidator

Guest YellowJacket894

Guess I'll enter this old thing as a starting entry. Please forgive the sloppy porportions.

Posted Image

EDIT: Here's the rear-view...and it's pretty old. I actually did this shortly after the sketch above and forgot about it. It's incomplete, but I'll try to finish it up a little later. Today, I've not really been in a "sketching mood," I guess.

Posted Image

Edited by YellowJacket894

Hmm... 09 Impalla... hmm... with historic styling?!?!? That's just another word for retro. I'm out.

Just kidding... I'm going modern, though, and there's nothing you can do about it. :D I guess I could incorporate a historic badge or something... maybe a random piece of chrome... IDK. :lol::P

Here's my impala. I say screw historic/retro styling. This is an ultra modern car, ready to take on the avalon, and to mark a new design direction for chevy.

Posted Image

btw, the front wheels are like that because originally, they made the car have too much ground clearance, so i dried to shorten them.

Allright I got my scanner working again, so i did this quick sketch for an entry here

Posted Image

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/MRD...L/0770chevy.jpg

I will get another veiw or version posted soon, but wanted to see how it looks first as I have not used the scanner in awhile...looks like it's working OK, huh ? lol.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Allright, I redid the concept, lost the OLD CAR look, it was tooo 70's...lol.

cleaned it up, used less line work and presented it using PS to highlight the DESIGN elements;

Impala Super Sport Coupe & Convertible !.... ;

Posted Image

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/MRD...METAL/IMPSS.jpg

well....??? It ain't perfect yet, I have a loose style of drawing,

...but that comes from being "MR. ARTIST" (my schooling was in Fine Arts, not DESIGN) .

..and as it has been awhile from when I used the scanner and drew someting on PAPER !

LOL

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

MRDETROITMETAL, the front reminds me of a caprice for some reason :lol:

i agree with Yjacket too

Yep, good eye !, the first post had a 1970 Caprice., front & fender bumps, 1966 rear end....Old School.

The new one's kept that influence from the 70 model

and the 61- 62 rear facsia treatment,

...but I stepped it all up to a more current style & roof line design.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Guest YellowJacket894

Mr. Metal: That is a great second sketch. Keep posting. (Man, was I wrong about you, huh?)

Edited by YellowJacket894

Mr. Metal: That is a great second sketch. Keep posting. (Man, was I wrong about you, huh?)

THX, man...I shoulda broke out the pencils before this that's all.

My fault, but it's all DUCK off the WATER"S back...know wat I mean.

LOL

I always like your $h! cuz...you got a good rendering style there.

Here's my impala. I say screw historic/retro styling. This is an ultra modern car, ready to take on the avalon, and to mark a new design direction for chevy.

Posted Image

btw, the front wheels are like that because originally, they made the car have too much ground clearance, so i dried to shorten them.

Yo, Burns ! ....nice work. One of your very best drawings IMO.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

I personally love this. I couldn't wait to post it:

Posted Image

The design is awesome, the drawings are both a bit lopsided tho..??

So,....think perspective and vanishing points, ya, know ?

Bigger is closer & the futher away = smaller.....this applies to every part of the car, and then they will be fine.

You got some great ideas here.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Posted Image

Rear 3/4 and interior--tomorrow (hopefully)

Well, i can't leave anybody out now...so, This is a smooth flowing design.

it all fits nicely, BUT...if your gonna color it, then shade & highlight it too.

it does not take much more to bring out the luminence in colors.

Use 3 different colors as base, shade & highlight, pick ANY 3 colors,

it won't matter which 3 colors use use to do either, it will work anyway

...try it and see for yourself.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Posted Image

i do know some people can make what they imagine much easier than others, (no offense) but i get a slight "beetle sedan" feel from yours, maybe it's just the hood poportions to the cabin roundness, and how the rear doors round off so quickly.

on the good side it does have more of an individual look to it, like NOS's, for me his looks too much like a camaro/muscle car for me, it can have some of that , but i would think it needs to look more refined than that... eh. just my opinion ( no offense NOS) :)

cleaned mine up... fixed proportions and stuff... im in love with this... if they make it look like this... i will love it forever

Posted Image

good luck to everyone... im excited to see all the designs... this contest is gunna be awesome

...and YOU, my friend. I have only 1 basic complaint about ALL your work...

WHY IS IT ALL SO DAM SMALL ????...lol

Upsize dude !

that may just be photobuckets fault... but ill try haha

yah i see the beetle reference in burns its pretty much all in the shape of the doors tho . . . i personally love that drawing

NOS's is def nice i like the front on that its just too small of headlights i think is all but def nice

no man i have the pic saved on my comp with the dimensions of 5872x3200... and then i put it on photobucket and it gets shrunk to like 368x199... its ridiculous!!!! i have no idea how to fix it and it really makes me mad

no man i have the pic saved on my comp with the dimensions of 5872x3200... and then i put it on photobucket and it gets shrunk to like 368x199... its ridiculous!!!! i have no idea how to fix it and it really makes me mad

WOW !....Yeah, THAT would piss me right off too ! ...??????

Maybe you can save your pix smaller 1000 X 700 in your comp and upload THAT size to PB, so they do not crunch it so much ?

That size works well for me, otherwise,...I dunno ?

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

alright this one should be good

Posted Image

Edited by 04monteintimidator

This is the replacement for the Impala Caprice (the first drawing I put up here)...

Posted Image

As the Impala Coupe/Convertible entry is the same design with 2 veiws, this will be my other design entry, I will work on a rear veiw too...this one is more "painted", using PS over and under the scanned drawing.

I really descided I DO NOT like the Color version of this at all....So here is the original B&W drawing, which I prefer...;

Posted Image

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Sorry to be annoying, but how to I post an entry? Attaching a pic isn't working. Thanks.

1) Use an image-hosting site like ImageShack.

2) Click "Browse" and find the file you'd like to upload. Select host it!.

3) Copy the URL ImageShack provides you with.

4) Click the "IMG" button in AddReply and paste the URL there.

You should be set. 8)

:thumbsup:

Allright, I redid the concept, lost the OLD CAR look, it was tooo 70's...lol.

cleaned it up, used less line work and presented it using PS to highlight the DESIGN elements;

Impala Super Sport Coupe & Convertible !.... ;

Posted Image

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/MRD...METAL/IMPSS.jpg

well....??? It ain't perfect yet, I have a loose style of drawing,

...but that comes from being "MR. ARTIST" (my schooling was in Fine Arts, not DESIGN) .

..and as it has been awhile from when I used the scanner and drew someting on PAPER !

LOL

I definitley like this one best so far, I'm into the super-retro design. Keep up the good work

Here's my effort. I don't really like just copying old designs, to be fresh and competitive I think the car should be awesome irrespective of its history. I feel this is what the cool, big, old RWD Impala's might have evolved into if not for the old fuel crisis and GM's fixation with FWD. Please let me know what you think.

Posted Image

funky pig that thing is amazing... wow... and i was about to ask why your interior was backwards... but then noticed you were from australia... so its all good... youve definitely got my vote so far

one little nitpick... perhaps tone down the crossbar/bowtie... it looks kina cartyoonishly big in your front 3/4

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry I did mean to mirror the interior to make it LHD, but I forgot about doing that. I think you're right 04monteintimidator, the front grille bar could be made a little smaller, but it was my intention for it to be much bigger than on any current Chevs and therefore make a bold (and new) statement, while still being similar to the current range.

This is NOT for the contest per se, well maybe IT IS,....BUT, this COULD be an Impala ( although I designed it more as a Monte Carlo), and I really want your thoughts on this process;

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/slip...teCarlolite.jpg

Posted Image

....??????

I used 2 different software packages to do this (Adobe PS & Corel Paint), it is VERY adjustable too, sooo.....talk to me.

I am VERY interested in your responses to this !!!

Actually, IMO,...THIS IS what the IMPALA coupe should look like !!!...the MC shold have the "Notch Back" roofline !!!...

...& NASCAR should run the IMPALA not the MC !

...here it is without the "lighting"...:

Posted Image

.....just my opinion. LOL !

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

um... MrDM... if thats not for the contest whyd you post it here? we have a member showcase for that... :P

um... MrDM... if thats not for the contest whyd you post it here? we have a member showcase for that... :P

ahhh, ummmm, ...because i'm thinkin IT IS for the contest.

NOW, I have to do the front view !

BUT more than that, I really want your opinions on the look

or specifically, the process of the drawing ?

I AM ATTEMPTING to combine the loose drawing technique

with a graphics style presentation,

...and I am wondering if it works for you all or not ????

or is it too cartoon like ?

Yeah, OK,..I am going to enter this one too, (if that's OK)...

, just let me do a front view that matches, allright ? :blink:

What DAY is it anyway ??? :censored:

...I am soooo, lost !...LOL, & LMAO too !

Look, I am NOT trying to Win anything here, I VALUE your comments much more.

THX.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

MRDETROITMETAL I like your car, but it seems a little 1980s. But I think the basic idea of the 'kick' of the side windows over the rear wheel arch is a good idea to demonstrate visually it is RWD, which I think is a must in any new Impala.

When scanning your sketch into Photoshop, parhaps try being more subtle with the colors and thinking about where the light is coming from.

Overall looks good with a long swept RWD muscle car style, would love to see the front too.

MRDETROITMETAL I like your car, but it seems a little 1980s. But I think the basic idea of the 'kick' of the side windows over the rear wheel arch is a good idea to demonstrate visually it is RWD, which I think is a must in any new Impala.

When scanning your sketch into Photoshop, parhaps try being more subtle with the colors and thinking about where the light is coming from.

Overall looks good with a long swept RWD muscle car style, would love to see the front too.

thx, I am doing the front view now....same style to match.

i know why that looks 1980s... i had the same problem with my drawings for a while... lose the wrap around glass in the back... that causes a 1980s camaro appearance and doesnt work on anything except a 1980s camaro...

also MrDM... why sould the MC have the notchback? that only existed in the late 1980s models of it... its not like it was a classic design cue that the car has had for its entire lifespan... the originals had a formal yet still coupelike roofline... thats what i want on an MC... almost like the last gen of the El Dorado... but with a bit more of a slope... i guess CTS style... the one on the current MC is leaning a bit more towards the coupe side... but there is still a sense of formality when compared to a mustang or Grand Prix

Well, 1980's look or not....which, BTW I happen to like, (especially the MC SS WITH the glass back window !!! ).....ahh, anyway here is the front view;

Posted Image

Posted Image

IMPALA SUPER SPORT COUPE

....Now, this is a true MUSCULE CAR DESIGN...& in case you are tempted to forget

THAT MONSTER HOOD SCOOP WILL REMIND YOU IN A NOT TO SUBTLE WAY !!!

LOL

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

the way you did the nose reminds me alot of a camaro and a javelin... not a good thing for an impala coupe (which im confused as to why you keep makin them... dont get too hopeful i doubt itll ever be made again)

theres alot of random lines on the side that are kinda confusing... since they are flowing in different directions...

and that wraparound glass is a killer... which the 80s MC did NOT have... glass back window... of course... but im talking about the wraparound glass... the kind you can see when lookin at a side profile

i also think the fenders need a bit more flare to them... aside from the contradicting lines the side looks flat

and the headlights are tilted in a way that makes them look droopy and sad... try to make them more aggressive

yea, you are most likely right...a Impala coupe is an outside chance at best.

BUT,...LOL. I am going to work on this and the rear view more, to get futher

definition in them as I think they are a bit too cartoon like right now,

and the design is not coming across as well as I hoped it would.

Color graduation and less line work I think will make the difference, but that is all software work, not drawing per se.

Soo, maybe I will do a SEDAN version of this car too,

....as a straight pencil rendering ??

...without the hood scoop !,

...combining the rear 3 lights from the previous car

and the window / fender thing from this one ...

with the front end closer to the previous car,

with the seperated headlights, and a black out grille...????

...maybe that will work better.

...THX for tolerating my meanderings !

I just LOVE Impalas !!!! & BTW, The MC SS (NASCAR Model ) ...

actually did have a full glass back window, which is the car I had in mind here.

You know which one I mean ?..., if I can find a Pix of one I will post it for ya...

slope nose and a glass fastack window ???...didn't make to many of 'em as it was just to appease NASCAR, so Chevy could race it.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL