Sign in to follow this  
Flybrian

Sketch Competition #4 - 2009 Chevrolet Impala

71 posts in this topic

Flybrian    0

Welcome to Sketch Competition #4!

There's no questioning the great excitement surrounding the upcoming 2009 Impala and exactly what form it will take. Comments by GM's Chief Designer Ed Wellburn have lead many to speculate that rather than evolutionary, it will definitely be influenced by historic Impala models, specifically the 1967 model year.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to sketch what your ideal 2009 Impala will look like. Your sketch should include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:

-3/4 Front View

-3/4 Rear View

-Interior View

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views, the better, including ones not specifically listed above.

The only rules aside from 800x600 size guidelines are that it must have some element of historic styling. Exactly what and how much is entirely at your discretion. Also, keep in mind its highly likely this car will be rear-wheel drive.

The winner will recieve a Chevy Impala-related prize!

Deadline is Monday, May 1st @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck! :CG_all:

NOS2006    11

I like certain elements of all that, GMan.

I'll have my front/rear done soon. I've had my front done for awhile, but I need to shade the rear. I might try an interior, too. Who knows..

cleaned mine up... fixed proportions and stuff... im in love with this... if they make it look like this... i will love it forever

Posted Image

good luck to everyone... im excited to see all the designs... this contest is gunna be awesome

Edited by 04monteintimidator

Guest YellowJacket894   
Guest YellowJacket894

Guess I'll enter this old thing as a starting entry. Please forgive the sloppy porportions.

Posted Image

EDIT: Here's the rear-view...and it's pretty old. I actually did this shortly after the sketch above and forgot about it. It's incomplete, but I'll try to finish it up a little later. Today, I've not really been in a "sketching mood," I guess.

Posted Image

Edited by YellowJacket894

Cory Wolfe    263

Hmm... 09 Impalla... hmm... with historic styling?!?!? That's just another word for retro. I'm out.

Just kidding... I'm going modern, though, and there's nothing you can do about it. :D I guess I could incorporate a historic badge or something... maybe a random piece of chrome... IDK. :lol::P

Burns    0

Here's my impala. I say screw historic/retro styling. This is an ultra modern car, ready to take on the avalon, and to mark a new design direction for chevy.

Posted Image

btw, the front wheels are like that because originally, they made the car have too much ground clearance, so i dried to shorten them.

!!!TED!!!    3

So far, Im liking GMan's the best.

NOS: Great ideas and design, but whats happening in the rear view. The car looks bent in the middle. :blink:

NOS2006    11

I'll post a more straight on sketch to show what's going on. It has a tailfin-esque approach, but my perspective was off a little..

Allright I got my scanner working again, so i did this quick sketch for an entry here

Posted Image

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/MRD...L/0770chevy.jpg

I will get another veiw or version posted soon, but wanted to see how it looks first as I have not used the scanner in awhile...looks like it's working OK, huh ? lol.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

loki    289

MRDETROITMETAL, the front reminds me of a caprice for some reason :lol:

i agree with Yjacket too

Allright, I redid the concept, lost the OLD CAR look, it was tooo 70's...lol.

cleaned it up, used less line work and presented it using PS to highlight the DESIGN elements;

Impala Super Sport Coupe & Convertible !.... ;

Posted Image

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/MRD...METAL/IMPSS.jpg

well....??? It ain't perfect yet, I have a loose style of drawing,

...but that comes from being "MR. ARTIST" (my schooling was in Fine Arts, not DESIGN) .

..and as it has been awhile from when I used the scanner and drew someting on PAPER !

LOL

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

MRDETROITMETAL, the front reminds me of a caprice for some reason :lol:

i agree with Yjacket too

Yep, good eye !, the first post had a 1970 Caprice., front & fender bumps, 1966 rear end....Old School.

The new one's kept that influence from the 70 model

and the 61- 62 rear facsia treatment,

...but I stepped it all up to a more current style & roof line design.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Guest YellowJacket894   
Guest YellowJacket894

Mr. Metal: That is a great second sketch. Keep posting. (Man, was I wrong about you, huh?)

Edited by YellowJacket894

Mr. Metal: That is a great second sketch. Keep posting. (Man, was I wrong about you, huh?)

THX, man...I shoulda broke out the pencils before this that's all.

My fault, but it's all DUCK off the WATER"S back...know wat I mean.

LOL

I always like your $h! cuz...you got a good rendering style there.

Here's my impala. I say screw historic/retro styling. This is an ultra modern car, ready to take on the avalon, and to mark a new design direction for chevy.

Posted Image

btw, the front wheels are like that because originally, they made the car have too much ground clearance, so i dried to shorten them.

Yo, Burns ! ....nice work. One of your very best drawings IMO.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

I personally love this. I couldn't wait to post it:

Posted Image

The design is awesome, the drawings are both a bit lopsided tho..??

So,....think perspective and vanishing points, ya, know ?

Bigger is closer & the futher away = smaller.....this applies to every part of the car, and then they will be fine.

You got some great ideas here.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Posted Image

Rear 3/4 and interior--tomorrow (hopefully)

Well, i can't leave anybody out now...so, This is a smooth flowing design.

it all fits nicely, BUT...if your gonna color it, then shade & highlight it too.

it does not take much more to bring out the luminence in colors.

Use 3 different colors as base, shade & highlight, pick ANY 3 colors,

it won't matter which 3 colors use use to do either, it will work anyway

...try it and see for yourself.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

loki    289

Posted Image

i do know some people can make what they imagine much easier than others, (no offense) but i get a slight "beetle sedan" feel from yours, maybe it's just the hood poportions to the cabin roundness, and how the rear doors round off so quickly.

on the good side it does have more of an individual look to it, like NOS's, for me his looks too much like a camaro/muscle car for me, it can have some of that , but i would think it needs to look more refined than that... eh. just my opinion ( no offense NOS) :)

cleaned mine up... fixed proportions and stuff... im in love with this... if they make it look like this... i will love it forever

Posted Image

good luck to everyone... im excited to see all the designs... this contest is gunna be awesome

...and YOU, my friend. I have only 1 basic complaint about ALL your work...

WHY IS IT ALL SO DAM SMALL ????...lol

Upsize dude !