The heat is on

RjION

109* today so says the radio ....... 113* wednesday and thursday it's been over 100* the last few days. So the heat is on.

Yeah, June has been pretty mild so far...my pool is only 86 so far.

Cubical: No longer do I have a pool to watch over ..... my Son and Daughter both have them for my enjoyment. Life is good. I may buy myself a plastic kiddie pool and sit in it with a MGD. LOL

BFD, we've already been to 104.4 in South Jersey... about 10 days ago. AZ is supposed to be hot.

If its going to be like this, I'm going to need to get a kiddie pool... or *gasp* walk to the ocean. (For the record, I have lived 800 ft from the ocean for 12 years... and had the time to visit it once.)

Edited by SAmadei

BFD, we've already been to 104.4 in South Jersey... about 10 days ago. AZ is supposed to be hot.

If its going to be like this, I'm going to need to get a kiddie pool... or *gasp* walk to the ocean. (For the record, I have lived 800 ft from the ocean for 12 years... and had the time to visit it once.)

When we are 105* and under we don't pay much attention to it. So when Jersey hits 100* plus for 90 plus days in a row please let us know. When you get to 122* by all means speak up.

Edited by RjION
  • Disagree 3

When we are 105* and under we don't pay attention to it. So when Jersey hits 100*

plus for 90 plus days in a row please let us know.

So its a 4 degree difference between "105 don't notice" and "109 notice"? When it hits 104 in NJ... in Spring... thats 24 degrees over normal.

In any case, you forget... we have humidity. 104.4 here rates a "feels like" 119 on the heat index. Our heat index has been flirting with 90 for quite some time.

• Agree 2

When we are 105* and under we don't pay attention to it. So when Jersey hits 100*

So its a 4 degree difference between "105 don't notice" and "109 notice"? When it hits 104 in NJ... in Spring... thats 24 degrees over normal.

In any case, you forget... we have humidity. 104.4 here rates a "feels like" 119 on the heat index. Our heat index has been flirting with 90 for quite some time.

109* means the heat is coming ... . 110* and over means the heat is on, and this is what we have to look forward to for 90 days. Not to get into a pissing match with someone from New Jersey that can't figure that out.

PS: In any case I didn't forget anything.

Edited by RjION
  • Disagree 3

I've lived anywhere from 5 miles to 20 miles away from the Delaware River all of my life and have never visited for swimming reasons :P

But 800 feet from the ocean and only visited once??? I know people that live 75+ miles away from the Jersey shore that visit it more than you do :lol:

Sounds lovely... hot and sticky. Supposedly the heat index is about 100 here now. 100-105 or so feels mild to me, but 109-112 definitely feels hotter...I think the hottest temp it's been in the last 3 summers I've lived here has been around 116. I try and avoid being outside (except in the pool) for more than 5 min at a time, otherwise stay in A/C.

I've lived in S. Florida and the Midwest so I definitely know how nasty a hot and humid summer can feel, very different from the 'dry heat' oven horror here.

If all goes well, this should be my last summer in AZ..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

109* means the heat is coming ... . 110* and over means the heat is on, and this is what we have to look forward to for 90 days. Not to get into a pissing match with someone from New Jersey that can't figure that out.

Not wanting to participant in a match, either, RJ.

I think we can all agree its getting HOT.

Yesterday and today have been the most comfortable days in like 3 weeks.

But 800 feet from the ocean and only visited once??? I know people that live 75+ miles away from the Jersey shore that visit it more than you do :lol:

Yeah, its criminal. I just like the shore town atmosphere, I guess. Its always 10 degrees cooler in the summer and 10 degrees warmer in the winter.

Still gets hot, though.

Sounds lovely... hot and sticky. Supposedly the heat index is about 100 here now. 100-105 or so feels mild to me, but 109-112 definitely feels hotter...I think the hottest temp it's been in the last 3 summers I've lived here has been around 116. I try and avoid being outside (except in the pool) for more than 5 min at a time, otherwise stay in A/C.

If all goes well, this should be my last summer in AZ..

We wish you luck in your quest for leaving AZ... Who knows, I have family trying to talk me into moving to CA/NV/AZ... I can't imagine it.

This summer is going to be rough, as we have the A/C off to save money. I get carried away with the A/C on... I enter the house in spring, and won't leave until fall... and will have it 60 degrees the whole time. Its a habit I have to give up cold turkey. :-(

We wish you luck in your quest for leaving AZ... Who knows, I have family trying to talk me into moving to CA/NV/AZ... I can't imagine it.

That was the mistake I made..moving from Colorado to AZ because of family reasons. I still despise myself for doing it... (but I've also contemplated moving back to Ohio or Pittsburgh area for family reasons also).

This summer is going to be rough, as we have the A/C off to save money. I get carried away with the A/C on... I enter the house in spring, and won't leave until fall... and will have it 60 degrees the whole time. Its a habit I have to give up cold turkey. :-(

60..that's cold. With the A/C running pretty around the clock, I keep the house at 75, but the electric bill averages about $400/mo May-Sept.

It's certainly been a year of extremes. Record heat and drought in the South, record rain in the Northwest and Northern Plains. NE's been pretty lucky. Weather's not bad at all with highs in the 70's and 80's most of the time with rain once a week or so.

palmer_drought_720x486.jpg

We got all of our rain early on, then that insane stretch of heat/humidity. Had a breif spell of decent weather, and now the H&H is building again.

Very dry now, thunderheads build-in but don't want to produce.

Standard SE PA summer: hot and $h!ty with continued hot and $h!ty, and a chance of thunderstorms.

Hot and sticky isn't really my thing, but I'll take this over cold and snow any day.

There's a house in the southwest somewhere calling my name.

<object width="420" height="338" id="kickWidget_61862_302732" name="kickWidget_61862_302732" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://serve.a-widget.com/service/getWidgetSwf.kickAction">

<!-- Firefox uses the 'data' attribute above, IE/Safari uses the param below -->

<param name="movie" value="http://serve.a-widget.com/service/getWidgetSwf.kickAction"></param>

<param name="FlashVars" value="affiliateSiteId=61862&widgetId=302732&width=420&height=338&playOnLoad=0&revision=3&autoPlay=0&mediaType_mediaID=video_1595321" ></param>

<param name="wmode" value="transparent" ></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" ></param>

<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" ></param>

</object>

Plants which grow certain fruits and vegetables and textiles enjoy very hot weather.

In some recent researching of hydroponics, I was surprised how many plants top out at about 80~85... above this and yield suffers. Some plants, like oranges, tobacco and cotton thrive in the south because they need long periods of frost free days or sunlight, not necessarily very hot weather.

Most crop plants I could grow in NJ in a greenhouse would require cooling systems in the summer.

Stuff that likes really hot weather tends to be grown closer to the equator, not in the US. Growing crops is all about maximizing yield... if a particular plant requires very hot weather, it can only be grown in an area that gets very hot weather consistently. Otherwise, yield is low and the farmers are throwing money out the window.

Edited by SAmadei

Without heavy irrigation, most of what grows in socal... wouldn't.

It's the frost-free that makes it work, not high heat. And, all that does is make for a long growing season as Samadei said.

Plants are very adaptable, but the conditions in socal are purely artificial or nothing but drought-tolerant things would grow.

Been around 100ºF around Andalucia and Extremadura (Spain), the places I'm spending this week and the next... Not exactly pleasant, but at least humidity has been fairly low.

My wife was recently in Madrid for a work conference (6/12-17) and loved the weather while there - high 80s, sunny with bright blue skies, no humidity (or very low), breezy with a lot of trees for shade. She go back in a heartbeat of she could!

I'm mostly referring to grapes, tomatoes, onions, cotton stone fruit etc which grows in the central valley. Irrigation is important here as well.

Except cotton, all of these are grown heavily in South Jersey, as well... and none really like it above 85. Onions, IIRC, can't be grown in the NJ summer heat, they are generally a spring/fall crop.

Their may be cultivars of each that as heat tolerant, but likely still thrive best below 85.

I can't find my temperature range guidelines for crops, but I do have this snippet from HERE.

Temperature

Most plants function in a relatively narrow range of temperatures. The extremes of this range may be considered killing frosts at about 32ºF (0ºC) and death by heat and desiccation at about 105ºF (40ºC).

Air Temperature - Each kind of crop grows and develops most rapidly at a favorable range of air temperatures. This is called the optimum air temperature range. For most crops the optimum functional efficiency occurs mostly between 55 and 75ºF (12 and 24ºC).

TONS of cotton grown in Arizona desert, so much so that it's visible on the state seal .... cattle, cotton, copper, citrus, and climate.

Yeah, the old 5 C's of the AZ economy. The new 5 C's I've heard are chips (computer chips), call centers, cubicles, cells (private prison industry), and crime :)

Hit 113 today, still a balmy 106 at 8:30pm..

Today

Clear

Sunny

High: 110°

Low: 80°

Sunday

Clear

Sunny

High: 113°

Low: 80°

Monday

Clear

Sunny

High: 114°

Low: 81°

Tuesday

Clear

Sunny

High: 115°

Low: 83°

Wednesday

Clear

Sunny

High: 111°

Low: 81°

Thats for my Zip code

Edited by RjION
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

That dust storm was wild last night... I ran out about 8:30 to put down the umbrella at my poolside table (the wind was picking up) and could barely see 10 feet ahead..

IIRC, I've only driven through one dust storm since I've lived here, last summer a brief one whilst crossing the void one afternoon..

(i.e. 'the void' being my nickname for the desolate deserty area of SW Chandler along Ocotillo Road from Price Road to I-10 where I used to commute from work).

Rumor is another haboob tonight...

The haboob/dust storm the other night made a mess of my pool (pool guy came today) and my Jeep...I had just had it washed/waxed/detailed last Saturday...arggggghhhhh

• 1 month later...