Vacations

I have to share my excitement. I'm going to Punta Cana next month. This will be my first time going out of the country (other than Canada), and my first time flying since I went to Disney World in '95. This will also be my first all-inclusive vacation. I hope I gain ten pounds :yes:

So, where are you guys going?

Edited by AM6_Cutlass

then back to Naptown for the summer.

You mean Indiana-no-place. :AH-HA_wink: (My friend who went to U of I and then moved back to Broad Ripple told me that one - he went to that high school called Bishop Roncalli (sp?) on the South End).

Ok, for me, two vacations in 2006:

Memorial Day through early June:

Fort Lauderdale/Palm Beach and then Atlanta (1 week + 2 days)

Mid-October

Montreal and Quebec City, Canada (1 week)

In 2007:

Italy, Spain and Portugal (no Europe this year).

I'll be going to Montreal next fall for a week, but I'm not sure if I'm going anywhere this summer since I have an internship and I don't know if they'll give me vacation time. If I do get some time off, I wouldn't mind going to the southwest or somewhere out west.

Mid-October

Montreal and Quebec City, Canada (1 week)

I want to visit Quebec soon as well... I have not been back there since the

late 1990s. Canada is a very cool vacation spot. I esp. love to visit for

wacky reasons like when my family went out there for the Hot Air Balloon

festivals in like 1997.

Here's my tenative scedule:

- April 15th: NYIAS, SpeedingPenguin should be riding shotgun with me in the Datsun

- April 22nd: Datsun/Nissan meet in Buffalo, I'll be going with my buddy Renato.

- July (weekend after 4th): Burnout Contest in Worcester Massachusetts at the Summer Nats.

- Late Summer / early fall: I'll hopefuly be traveling to pick up a 1959 Buick (hardtop)

Other than taht there's bound to be a few dozen 100mph or so

road trips and a few more serious ones. I'd love to visit the

home country (Slovakia) and/or fly or drive out to Arizona to

visit Duffy in Fountain Hills and see the Grand Canyon again.

Hmm...well, the plans are as follows ... whether it'll all work out or not, who knows...nothing as "spectacular" as the 2-week road trips I've taken the last couple years....

June 22-26 ... IL-KY-IN-TN

Thursday ... drive to Nashville TN for the MC Nationals, Friday-Sunday (route TBD).

Sunday ... go to Big Sandy TN for lunch; Jackson TN for dinner (or vice versa).

Monday ... drive home.

July 14-17 ... IN-OH-MD-NJ-DE

Thursday ... in the evening, get a "jump start" to DE for Monte MadneSS, Friday-Sunday.

Sunday ... get a head start on going home, arriving home on Monday.

Not sure which route I'll take (northern, via turnpike; southern, via I-70), but most-likely will make a stop in the Baltimore MD area going and/or coming.

August 11-14 ... IN-OH-PA-MI

Thursday ... drive to IN (near Ft Wayne).

Friday ... drive to OH (near Akron), possibly taking Route 30.

Saturday ... drive to PA for the family reunion that afternoon.

Sunday ... drive to MI for a late dinner.

Monday ... drive home.

October 11-17 ... TX-OK-KS/MO-IA-WI

This'll be the "road trip" (mini, as it is) for 2006...

Tuesday evening ... drive as far south as possible (either via I-57, I-55 or I-39 to I-55).

Wednesday ... drive to Dallas TX, via Little Rock AR.

Thursday ... stay in Dallas area

Friday ... drive up to the Oklahoma City area.

Saturday ... drive to Wichita KS.

Sunday ... via Kansas City, drive to IA (Des Moines area, perhaps).

Monday ... drive to southern WI.

Tuesday ... drive home.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

"I need to get away from this place" ... Smashmouth ... 'All Star'

San Antonio this May, then back to Naptown for the summer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

San Antonio is every married couples dream destination. The Riverwalk is absolutely gorgeous and overall impressive.

Be sure to stop in at Dicks and have a beer and a bite to eat. You won't regret it and ask if the manager is from Canada lol. I convinced that guy to sell me beer when I was 20 visiting Carrie Perry who used to post here and she was 35 lol.

Man those were the days.

Honestly, it's such a blast. Plus the Alamo is nearby as well and a Coyota Joes.

Damn, now I want to go back.

There's a possibilty of a family reunion (dad's side) out in Colorado (near Denver) on the week of July 4th. If it does happen it will be the first time I have ever flown (23years old).

San Antonio is every married couples dream destination. The Riverwalk is absolutely gorgeous and overall impressive.

Be sure to stop in at Dicks and have a beer and a bite to eat. You won't regret it and ask if the manager is from Canada lol. I convinced that guy to sell me beer when I was 20 visiting Carrie Perry who used to post here and she was 35 lol.

Man those were the days.

Honestly, it's such a blast. Plus the Alamo is nearby as well and a Coyota Joes.

Damn, now I want to go back.

Oh, due to family living there I've done the San Antonio thing before. I'm actually planning on meeting up with this one girl with whom I used to go to Catholic school and haven't seen in years...she ironically enough goes to UT but she said she'll make the drive so we can hang out some. 8)

this one girl with whom I used to go to Catholic school

she ironically enough goes to UT

Do her parents have a license plate frame that says

MY DAUGHTER AND MY MONEY GO TO

T E Y X U S ?

God, I hope not.

Sidebar: it's actually a very respectable school, just too big...over 50,000 students.

Nah, she was originally at Baylor but transferred because she hated it.

Bob, USC is a solid 35,000...I am a big fan of big schools...you cannot get the wide range of course offerings at a smaller school...nor as strong athletic programs...you just cannot.

...I am a big fan of big schools...you cannot get the wide range of course offerings at a smaller school...nor as strong athletic programs...you just cannot.

True the athletic programs suffer at smaller schools, but I prefer them for the lower teacher-to-student ratio. Now that I see how things are at a relatively big school, I'm glad I went to a small school for my undergrad.

This summer I get no real vacation, just more research. I'll probably take a few weeks to relax. But... I will be in Los Alamos in mid-August (more work).

I may go to Mt Rainier and the washington coastline, i may or also go to some sort of theme park in FL, i would like o go to Mt Mckinley (22,000 ft tall, denali national park.) i would also like to spend more time in Yellowstone.

But like the last few years i may just get stuck going to Eka Laka, MT to help "brand" my GMa's cows....

Edited by Charger4U

I may go to Mt Rainier and the washington coastline, i may or also go to some sort of theme park in FL, i would like o go to Mt Mckinley (22,000 ft tall, denali national park.) i would also like to spend more time in Yellowstone.

But like the last few years i may just get stuck going to Eka Laka, MT to help "brand" my GMa's cows....

Chargerino,

It's funny how you say I may do this and that...now, it's your folks that are taking you, right?

True the athletic programs suffer at smaller schools, but I prefer them for the lower teacher-to-student ratio.  Now that I see how things are at a relatively big school, I'm glad I went to a small school for my undergrad.

This summer I get no real vacation, just more research.  I'll probably take a few weeks to relax.  But... I will be in Los Alamos in mid-August (more work).

It depends...USC is varied in that regard. Every large lecture is subdivided into "discussion" or "lab" groups of like 15-20. Then I have my managerial accounting and statistics classes where there were no more than 40 people in the class.

I like the bigger lectures though cuz if I wanna skip no one really notices my absence. 8)

Chargerino,

It's funny how you say I may do this and that...now, it's your folks that are taking you, right?

Trinacribobino:yea, lol, i geuss is houlde have sed we or we'll

Any time me and XP are bored and my G/F has some Lifetime movie on

we go on these random roadtrips just to burn gas and blast the tunes.

Last night we drove around in Boston for like 4 hours in the Q45. At one

point we were at an intersection with a bunch of college kids hanging

around and some dork on a baby blue Vespa and we had the sunroof &

windowns down while we balsted (at full volume on the Bose System)

AC~DC Back In Black.

Sometimes it's fun to force people to listen to your music, esp. since I'm

forced to listen to that fast-beat micro-machine-announcer-guy quick

spanish music at every intersection in Lowell. That or the Cambodian

music which is even more bizzare to my Semi-ethno-centric ears.

I'll post some funny photos soon of our adventures. :)

Thanks Croc and Josh. I now have the San Antonio bug. Looks like a very cool place to spend a week. There's a Six Flags and a Sea World there. I'm sure there's a few horseback riding trails, hiking, biking, etc. also. I have to look into it further.

Plus, I remember Chief telling me something about Texas women having a thing for shorter guys. Given that attitude is nonexistant on LI, I might come back with a really nice souvenir 8)

Thanks Croc and Josh. I now have the San Antonio bug. Looks like a very cool place to spend a week. There's a Six Flags and a Sea World there. I'm sure there's a few horseback riding trails, hiking, biking, etc. also. I have to look into it further.

Plus, I remember Chief telling me something about Texas women having a thing for shorter guys. Given that attitude is nonexistant on LI, I might come back with a really nice souvenir 8)

Texan women also ogle anyone who is not morbidly obese. Even at my fattest, I was a "thin" Texan.

I went to London for spring break. It was an awesome, though expensive trip. I really think companies just put the pound sign in place of the dollar and that's how they price their goods. For example, a typical Burger King meal (I did not eat it but sat by one at a bus station) was 3.XX pounds. That is roughly $6. Taxes are outrageous, too. The smallest VAT (like a sales tax) was 16% and the highest I paid was 24%. I loved it, though. Changing of the guard was amazing (I love the pomp and circumstance-type stuff) and so was Windsor Castle.

The official family vacation is Captiva, Florida for a week in August. Not to brag or anything but the house has an elevator. Vacation homes are usually cheaper in south Florida during the summer because it is the low season so you can get some tricked out homes for good prices.

I went to London for spring break. 

I was wanting to hear about that. Was flying over on an Air India 747-400 a riot? A lot of curry breath? Report on the experience!

One time I flew the inaugural rate RT for $ 449 on Lufthansa to celebrate their new route -- Portland-Frankfurt-Portland. I was by myself. (My Mom was pissed...You just got back from Argentina! - but I arranged the time off between switching employers).

I looked around the lounge, looking at who was alone that I might end up next to and focused on this one person. I thought "Not THAT one, please." He was a Greek Orthodox priest in the black get-up with the helicopter landing pad hat who weighed about 350 lbs. and had a 2 foot long beard. He was also a pig and an alcoholic. He drank those little bottles the whole way back and particles of whatever he ate remained in his beard. I did not get a wink of sleep for 9.5 hours. I also leaned into the aisle the whole way so I didn't have to brush up against him. :cussing: I couldn't get another seat...the plane was booked solid.

I probably wouldn't take Air India ANYWHERE to avoid the possibility of a similar experience.

Edited by trinacriabob

But... didn't the Waitress in the Sky hit you in the back of the head with her beverage cart on the way up the aisle?

*BONK*  "Sorry sir, please keep the aisle clear, thank you!" :dizzy:

Not this time.

But I got hit in the knee once with the cart for having my leg in the aisle.

It hurt like hell for about 4 hours.