US Not Getting Orlando

It’s not often that automakers go to the trouble of bringing a car to Canada, but refrain from selling it in the United States. With one tenth the population and different homologation laws than the United States, the costs rarely make it worthwhile for automakers to import unique products to the Canadian market.

Typically, the exceptions to the rule are vehicles like the Mercedes-Benz B-Class or Nissan X-Trail – compact utility vehicles that are fuel efficient and priced in the lower end of their segments. With vehicle prices around 30% higher than the United States, and fuel prices beyond $5/gallon, Canadians tend to buy vehicles similar to those purchased by European consumers.

The Chevrolet Orlando is one such vehicle intended for world markets that will not make it to America, but will be sold in Canada thanks to its low prices, a small footprint and efficient 4-cylinder engine. According to GM Canada, American engineers wanted to include features like knee airbags to help the Orlando meet an obscure American crash test regulation, but the cost of this change would have made the venture unprofitable. Since the vehicle already met every other unified North American standard, it was an easy choice to sell it in Canada, where the Mazda5 enjoys brisk sales and a near monopoly on the small minivan market.

SHARES PLENTY WITH THE CRUZE

The Orlando is built in Korea and engineering was largely overseen by GM Daewoo (yes, that Daewoo), GM’s Korean engineering arm. GM Daewoo also worked on the Cruze compact car, a vehicle that has gained widespread market acceptance, even if it’s no longer the pinnacle of compact car engineering. That’s not to say it’s a bad car by any means, the Orlando is lucky to benefit from a number of similarities with the Cruze.

The interiors of the two vehicles are aesthetically identical, with the same plastic pieces, stereo interface and HVAC controls shared between the two cars. One neat difference is a stereo head unit that flips up to reveal a cubby hole that can be used for sunglasses, iPods and other small items that need to be concealed. Frankly, we hope to see it on a lot more cars in the future, and it’s an example of how one well thought-out idea can endear us to a pretty mundane vehicle.

CRUDE ENGINE DOES THE JOB, GETS EXCELLENT FUEL ECONOMY

Of course, we mean that in the best way possible. The Orlando isn’t a total bore to drive, but the 2.4L Ecotec 4-cylinder engine and 6-speed gearbox do not hold up their end of the bargain. The engine feels coarse under hard acceleration and makes noises like an agricultural vehicle, although the power is certainly in place. The 6-speed automatic, as seen on the Cruze and other vehicles, has long been an enemy of ours, with its clumsy operation and gear hunting on inclines doing little to change our opinions. GM claims 22-mpg in the city and 34-mpg on the highway (our conversion), which is certainly better than one would find in a larger minivan, and bests the 21/28-mpg rating of the Mazda5. A 6-speed manual is also offered, but we skipped it entirely, as the market for this unit is probably smaller than those Canadians who favor privatized healthcare or more lax gun laws.

Our Orlando LT model (the trim level we expect most buyers to opt for) rode smoothly on the back roads of Ontario’s Muskoka region (Canada’s version of the Hamptons), where roads aren’t always repaved annually. We also found the Orlando to be fairly quiet save for some wind noise emanating from the A-Pillar, an issue that we also experienced with the Cruze.

During our drive, we sampled the third row of seats, and found that they provided an adequate amount of room for fully-grown passengers. A multi-hour road trip may not be preferable, but going across town on errands wouldn’t be so bad. The second row is similarly spacious without any of the claustrophobia that sets in on drives longer than 60 minutes.

THE VERDICT

Aside from the Mazda5 (or perhaps the larger Dodge Journey), there’s not much else on the market similar to the Orlando. In fact, the Orlando reminds us of the original Honda Odyssey, which also used conventional doors, an efficient 4-cylinder engine and a third row of seats to compete with more conventional minivans. That Odyssey, which sold from 1995-1998, was a massive flop in North America but did gain a devoted cult following (and a popular taxi in New York City) among those who wanted utility without any of the excess of a traditional minivan. The Odyssey was the right vehicle for the wrong time, but with a general trend towards downsizing, and some very aggressive pricing (the Orlando starts at a $20,325), value conscious shoppers in Canada will likely flock to their nearest Chevy dealership.

I think they have better plans for the US market. While this would do ok GM can now do better with the influx of money.

I would keep an eye open for new product we have not been clued in on yet. A lot is going on that GM has not even hinted at yet.

i almost had one of those when i was a kid.....but at the last minute we copped out and got an ATC......

I have no idea what they are talking about with regards to the original Odyssey, this thing has no doors:

$%28KGrHqUOKiUE4ssnw,5rBOSllOTitQ~~60_3.JPG

bottom line is the orlando is too fugly for the US. I don't think chevy wants any niche models anymore. No doubt it would sell to some folks, but it may look inconsistent in a lineup with the cruze and equinox......

• 6 months later...

I somehow missed this thread on the first go-round. Just searched for it because I was very confused why it was so hard to find this vehicle on Wikipedia (because I was looking at the US market Chevy listing and had no idea they didn't sell it there).

I sat in one at the dealership shortly after I bought my Cruze. It's a great little vehicle, packaged well to give decent interior room from such a small vehicle. I wouldn't want to put an adult in the third row, but that's probably not what people will buy it for. With the Mazda 5 doing so well here, it only seems logical that this would be a good fit for the Canadian market. However, I've really not seen any on the roads since. It seems to me that they've stepped up their advertising for it in the last month or so... they push it as the best highway fuel economy of any 7 seater.

My only complaint about it is the back end, seems like they were trying to hard to make it look 'truckish'.

I hope this does well for them here, but so far it doesn't look good.

With the Mazda 5 doing so well here, it only seems logical that this would be a good fit for the Canadian market. However, I've really not seen any on the roads since. It seems to me that they've stepped up their advertising for it in the last month or so... they push it as the best highway fuel economy of any 7 seater.

I've seen quite a few in Vancouver. Shame that it appears they're less successful out East.

• 1 month later...

Well, hopefully this webpage should provide some clarity provided it's credible, although it deals with Minnesota rather than New York. I don't see why that should radically change anything, though.

In a nutshell, you can't buy it new and it must be used. You also have to contact the manufacturer prior to taking it to customs to make sure it complies with all Federal motor vehicle safety standards and get a letter stating so. You also have to contact the EPA and deal with them to make sure it isn't a huge smog bomb. The Orlando does use the Ecotec 1.8 and 2.4L engines which have been EPA approved in the past, so that could be in your favor.

Edited by black-knight