William Maley

GMC News: 2013 GMC Terrain Denali To Start At $34,525*

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

June 12, 2012

GMC has announced pricing for the newest member of the Denali family, the Terrain. For $34,525 (excluding a $825 destination charge), you get a 2.4L inline-four, FWD, GMC's Intellilink infotainment system, a programmable power liftgate, an eight-way power driver's seat, dual-flow dampers for the front suspension, and eighteen-inch wheels.

If you want a bit more power, a 3,6L DI V6 producing 301 HP will be available for an extra $1,500. The price includes nineteen-inch wheels taking the place of the eighteens.

All-wheel-drive will be available for both powertrains for an additional $1,750.

Press Release is on Page 2

Related:

New York 2012: GMC Terrain Denali

Spied: GMC Terrain Denali

2013 GMC Terrain Denali Priced from $35,350

Suite of advanced safety and technology features standard on luxury small SUV

DETROIT – GMC today announced pricing for the Terrain Denali, a luxury small SUV that goes on sale in the third quarter of this year. With the longest list of advanced safety features ever for a GMC, a fuel-efficient 2.4L I-4 and front-wheel drive, the Terrain Denali will cost $35,350, including an $825 destination charge.

Optional all-wheel drive raises the base price to $37,100, while a V-6 can be paired with either drivetrain for an additional $1,500. New for 2013, Terrain’s 3.6L V-6 uses direct injection and continuously variable valve timing to produce a class-leading 301 horsepower, as well as improved torque for stronger passing and towing performance. The cost of the V-6 also includes an upgrade from 18- to 19-inch chrome-clad wheels.

Terrain Denali’s standard safety systems include forward collision alert and lane departure warning, as well as Denali-exclusive side blind zone and rear cross traffic alert.

Forward collision alert and lane departure warning use the industry’s first single-camera crash-avoidance system to visually and audibly warn drivers when a collision is imminent or the vehicle crosses a lane marker without a turn signal engaged.

Side blind zone and rear cross traffic alert help avoid collisions by using radar to watch spots the driver may not be able to see – and provide visible and audible warnings. When another vehicle is in the Terrain’s blind zone, a yellow icon is illuminated on either side view mirror. Rear cross traffic alert displays warnings on the in-cabin connectivity screen, which also displays footage from Terrain’s standard rear view camera.

Along with unique exterior and interior styling, the Denali model’s standard features include luxuries not offered on any other Terrain model, including an eight-way power front passenger seat and the added comfort of dual-flow dampers for the front suspension.

Other standard technology and convenience features include Intellilink, GMC’s voice-controlled infotainment system with Bluetooth smartphone integration and apps like Pandora and Stitcher Smart Radio, a programmable power lift gate, and Homelink integrated garage door opener controls.

With so many standard features, Terrain Denali’s options list is short. A trailering package, the aforementioned 3.6L V-6, Color Touch Navigation, and organization accessories like a rear cargo cover, a cargo convenience net and luggage crossbars are available at additional cost.

Click here to view the article

Too much money, not enough beef.

It's 4 grand more than my loaded (with V-6) SLT-2 (only missing AWD, the Nav and TV screens). 5 and half more with the V-6. Don't see the value for a diff grille, tailights and Denali script.

I too as a owner of a 2012 SLT2 2WD I see no value in this.

I to be honest do not have any issue not having the higher HP engine. The 3.0 does the job and while I would have liked to have a 3.6 I really have no regrett.

For this price I would just move up to the SRX. There is a dealer here offering well optioned SRX's new for $32,000.

GMC needs to offer real hardware for that kind of money and make the V6, Entertainm,entertainment system and AWD standard. Lighted rockers and a few extra chome items mean little to me. To be honest I could order the grill and tailights at cost and get the same effect. Even the wheels are hardly different from what I have now with the present 19".

This is one the dealers will get and have to discount so sell. Look for rebates.

The only Denali that was worth the extra money I have driven was the original Serria Pick up with AWD, 6.0 and electric sunroof with the high grade leather interior. But then that one was over $60K.

GMC would have done better to replace the SLT2 with the Denali.

Edited by hyperv6

See now, the base model is so nice it renders the Denali redundant. Shoot, I'd happily take an SLE-1 AWD 3.6 if I were looking for a street-only CUV.

As I have stated in the past this was the WRONG Dilution of the Denali brand.

$37,775 for a Denali Terrain with AWD and V6. WAY TOO MUCH!

If they wanted something special in this small package, it would have been better to do a Black Ice Edition. Metallic All Black Monochromatic paint job with Black Chrome 19" wheels and fully loaded inside. Blacked out windows. This would be worthy of a $35K AWD small CUV.

This is NOT the right way to go, FAILURE for GMC! Very sad. Only Denali worth it was the FULL Size Yukon XL and the Sierra trucks.

I expect the sticker on the fully loaded Denali will break the $40,000 level. Might get to $42K with the entertainment system. The SLT2 with all the toys are stickered a $38K now.

Note there are a few high dollar options like AWD, V6 and entertaiment system that can add to the price fast. these three alone can add Approx $5,000 alone.

The best value is the SLE model 2WD. they can be had for near $20,000 and while may not have all the toys they are well optioned.

Edited by hyperv6

You have to remember that many here are not the target market for Denali models. Trust me, these things will sell, and I guarantee that you'll see a lot of 4cyl, FWD Denali models on the road too. I am not interested in this particular model myself, as I would rather have a loaded SLT-2 instead. But I agree with hyperV6 that the Denali trim should have replaced the SLT-2 trim and the SLT-1 could have gained the SLT-2's extra options (standard chrome trim, etc and been called just SLT). Maybe that will happen if more people go with the Denali over the SLT-2 trim - that's what happened to the Acadia (SLT-2 was dropped in favor of the Denali trim, per my salesman at my GMC dealership).

I still think for GMC to keep the Terrain relevant and in customer's minds they should do limited edition trims, such as what dfelt wants. I'd really be interested in one if they called it the All Terrain model and gave it a modest lift with AWD standard - a'la Jeep Patriot. By doing this they offer a niche vehicle that really doesn't cost more to do and gain sales in the process. Makes complete business sense.

• Upvote 1

But then I remember a freakin' FORD ESCAPE can be optioned up into the $38k range...

Has the Denali brand ever been value for the dollar upgrades? Sounds like GMC is telling every Denali buyer to pay $5000 more for a higher trim level that probably cost an extra $500 at the factory. Oh well.

Any given Denali package is prolly 95% profit with economies of scale factored in. They're blingy, imo, and do not add functional value since the demise of 4WS on the early Denali pickups.

You have to remember that many here are not the target market for Denali models. Trust me, these things will sell, and I guarantee that you'll see a lot of 4cyl, FWD Denali models on the road too. I am not interested in this particular model myself, as I would rather have a loaded SLT-2 instead. But I agree with hyperV6 that the Denali trim should have replaced the SLT-2 trim and the SLT-1 could have gained the SLT-2's extra options (standard chrome trim, etc and been called just SLT). Maybe that will happen if more people go with the Denali over the SLT-2 trim - that's what happened to the Acadia (SLT-2 was dropped in favor of the Denali trim, per my salesman at my GMC dealership).

I still think for GMC to keep the Terrain relevant and in customer's minds they should do limited edition trims, such as what dfelt wants. I'd really be interested in one if they called it the All Terrain model and gave it a modest lift with AWD standard - a'la Jeep Patriot. By doing this they offer a niche vehicle that really doesn't cost more to do and gain sales in the process. Makes complete business sense.

I would agree with you that if they do not do a limited version like I stated, a OffRoad AWD version as you state would be a Killer Production version for GMC. This would bring in the Jeep Crowd. 3-5 inch lift with big tires, take the crawl ratios from the H3 Hummer and give it some off-road manners.

The body style already is tough enough to handle an Off Road version.

• Upvote 1

i'd prefer the denali be a 3.6 only but at the same time 4 cyl. is what many customers are choosing.

a used 4 cyl FWD denali on the used market in 3 years will be cheap and a good buy for a lot of bling.

Ok first off forget the OFF Road Package Idea. The Terrain is not an off road vehicle and to be honest never will be. This thing was designed to be a on road cross over and nothing more.

The new Terrain will be here in 2014 as a 2015 so at this point it is just going to ride it out. Word is the next one will be on the Delta II and this will fix the major issue of weight. It will be a 4 cylinder only and be about the size of a Cruze and Escape. There will be a shift in the market on the SUV line at GM. I still expect the Trailblazer to appear at some point no matter what GM stated and Chevy will get some kind of version of the Trax. THe market is all about cross overs now and every company will offer them is several sizes and drivetrains.

Either way the Denali price is to the point there are too many other good options. Hell for just over 40K you can get a lot of really prime vehicles. I own a loaded Terrain and it makes a wonderful $31K out the door vehicle but it is no way a $40K vehicle. Even GMC offers better at that price.

High profits are often built on the idea there is a sucker born every min. I can't blame GM as this is pure money but I see a fool behind every wheel.

I normally opt for all the options when I buy a new car but generally I get things like Superchargers, Turbo's and suspension packages. For $5k I expect more than some chrome and a night light.

Edited by hyperv6

Still like the Idea of a Black Ice Edition. GMC is missing out on a limited performance version of the Terrain IMHO.

Ok first off forget the OFF Road Package Idea. The Terrain is not an off road vehicle and to be honest never will be. This thing was designed to be a on road cross over and nothing more.

Our famous and missing friend, PCS/Oracle of Delphi, stated long ago that the Theta platform was quite capable of handling off-road duty if the suspension was set-up correctly. The current set-up of the Terrain and Equinox is for on-road performance - aka "inclement weather" driving and light all-terrain duty. However, if a modest suspension lift can be installed, with meatier tires, an All-Terrain limited edition (not an Off-Road model) could be brought to market to capture an audience attune to such a vehicle. Jeep does this with the Compass (on-road) and Patriot (all-terrain) models, though we all know that with a little extra tuning the Patriot can be an off-road warrior too.

My biggest peeve with the Terrain is that for a SUV-wannabe CUV with truck-like styling, it sits way too low to the ground. That would be okay if it was the FWD that sat this low, but I feel the AWD version should have some lift to it and extra ground clearance. My mom's '05 Saturn VUE V6 AWD (and the Gen1 Equinox & Pontiac Torrent too) sits higher off the ground than the current Theta's do.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Our famous and missing friend, PCS/Oracle of Delphi, stated long ago that the Theta platform was quite capable of handling off-road duty if the suspension was set-up correctly. The current set-up of the Terrain and Equinox is for on-road performance - aka "inclement weather" driving and light all-terrain duty. However, if a modest suspension lift can be installed, with meatier tires, an All-Terrain limited edition (not an Off-Road model) could be brought to market to capture an audience attune to such a vehicle. Jeep does this with the Compass (on-road) and Patriot (all-terrain) models, though we all know that with a little extra tuning the Patriot can be an off-road warrior too.

My biggest peeve with the Terrain is that for a SUV-wannabe CUV with truck-like styling, it sits way too low to the ground. That would be okay if it was the FWD that sat this low, but I feel the AWD version should have some lift to it and extra ground clearance. My mom's '05 Saturn VUE V6 AWD (and the Gen1 Equinox & Pontiac Torrent too) sits higher off the ground than the current Theta's do.

I agree that the Terrain should and could have a proper lift in AWD form and be a competition to the Compass/Patriot. GM should consider a limited version like this. I think they could get a nice profit on a built unit like this.

• Upvote 1

Oh hell that means little as I could take a Sonic and make it into a capable off road vehicle too with the right parts. But that does not mean it would be a good idea.

The issue is with my customer. We sell almost every off road part known to man at work at you would find few real off roaders that would bite on a butched up Terrain.

Off roaders love RWD/AWD/4WD but if it has any ties to abased FWD they have little use for it. Vehicles like the Nitro, Patriot, Compass, Escape, Nox, Explorer. Terrain etc are not what real off roaders want. They have some nice slurs for them and people who consider them real off road material.

Now the old S-10, Jeep and even the Samuri are ok with them but they have little interest in these Crossovers. In all the 4x4 events I have run the show Judging on where we average 800 vehicles few to none are what I would term a modern cross over.

The rest are mostly soccer mom vehicles or butched up mini vans at best.

The cost to make the Terrain into a real off roader will drive the price to where they would just get a Yukon anyways.

The terrain has 7" of Ground Clearance and for the most will make it over what ever you need to with it.

Hell I like the Terrain but I would not want to go off road in it. There are more and better options out there. I would rather see a light jeep like vehicle on the Delta put out and designed from the start as trail ready as they like to say.

Short wheel base, light, good ground clearance, durable and easy to see out of is what most off roaders like and that is what they should be given.

The comments I heard on the guys witht he Patriots were crazy. Even the regular Jeep guys make fun of their manhood.

This is not what I feel but it is what I hear and see from the real trail guys out there. The kind that will run through a mud pit for $100 with out a truck. We did it evey year just to see how many we could get to do it. We has to limit the field. LOL!

I can still carve things wif it.

$41,000 plus for a loaded AWD V6 Denali.

Are they friggin nuts? I own a Terrain and love it but no way in hell is this vehicle worth that kind of money. Once you break $40K the door opens to a lot of better options.

May as well just pay a little more and get the SRX. There is a dealer here selling the SRX new for $32,000 here. I see rebates on some real deals on this one.

On a positive note the new engine is nice. The present one is good and the 3.6 is just 14% to the better. More power is never bad. At least you do not have to buy the Denali to get the 3.6.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. gerardo
      gerardo
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      GM’s U.S. August Sales up 7.5 Percent
      Total, retail and commercial share up Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, OnStar and GM Financial Expand Hurricane Relief Efforts DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported U.S. August deliveries of 275,552 vehicles, up 7.5 percent from a year ago. Retail deliveries were up 4 percent, and the company estimates that it gained more than one-half point of retail market share.
      U.S. Commercial fleet deliveries were up 19 percent, and the company has gained domestic Commercial market share for 13 consecutive months. Total fleet deliveries were up 24 percent.
      “We had a very strong month, and grew our retail and commercial fleet business on the strength of robust crossover sales at all four of our brands,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “But our focus is on the unfolding crisis in Texas and what we can do to help our customers, employees, dealers and everyone else impacted by the flooding.”
      Alan Batey, president of GM North America, added, “During this crisis, we have seen remarkable acts of bravery and compassion. People are pulling together and helping total strangers like they’ve been neighbors all their lives. It’s inspiring and we are there for all of you.”
      Since the storm, GM has marshaled teams from Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, OnStar, GM Financial and Customer Care & Aftersales to help with current and future needs across the region.
      Among the initiatives:
      GM is offering its OnStar Crisis Assist service to drivers of close to one million GM vehicles in parts of Texas and Louisiana. By pressing the blue OnStar button, customers will be connected to advisors who can provide temporary no-charge access to emergency services, phone and guidance services and 4G LTE Wi-Fi service (provided by AT&T). GM Financial is assisting impacted customers with payment arrangements and waiving related fees. Eligible customers who are replacing a vehicle may qualify for a 90-day deferred first payment.  The company is moving used vehicle inventory to Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac dealerships so that people with flood-damaged vehicles have access to rental cars and courtesy transportation. The Customer Care & Aftersales team, including ACDelco, are working to expedite the shipment of service parts, including electronic components, engines, transmissions and batteries to the region. Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac are offering $1,000 in Disaster Relief Assistance to customers in the most heavily impacted areas of Texas and Louisiana through Oct. 2, 2017. This money can be applied by anyone toward the purchase of a new vehicle, and it can be used in addition to all other retail incentives in the market.  OnStar has handled more than 23,000 calls for assistance from GM customers and is helping to support the American Red Cross with its unusually high call volume because of Hurricane Harvey. GM has donated $1 million to the American Red Cross to provide immediate support to disaster relief efforts around the country, and it has set up a donation web link for employees, who have contributed more than $50,000 in less than four days. Employees from GM facilities in Arlington and Fort Worth are filling three semi-trailers full of personal care items, bottled water and non-perishable food.  
      Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac are launching websites to give customers easy access to all of the things the brands are doing to help the recovery effort.
      August Retail Highlights (vs. August 2016 unless noted)   
      Chevrolet
      Best August since 2004 and best August crossover month ever. The Traverse was up 83 percent, for its best month ever.  The Equinox was up 67 percent.   The Trax was up 11 percent, for its best August ever. The Chevrolet Bolt EV had its strongest sales ever, with 2,052 deliveries. According to PIN data, the Volt and Bolt EV combined for 46 percent of non-luxury, electric vehicle sales in August. Silverado LD crew cab was up 21 percent. The Impala was up 63 percent. Buick
      The Encore, up 31 percent, had its best month ever. The Envision, up 78 percent, had its best August ever. GMC
      GMC’s ATPs hit a year-to-date record of $43,400, thanks the best-ever mix of Denali models. August deliveries of the Acadia were up 36 percent, for its best August ever, and sales have now grown year over year for 12 consecutive months. Sales of the Terrain were up 66 percent, with shipments of the all-new 2018 model starting to grow. Sierra LD crew cab was up 21 percent. Cadillac
      The XT5 crossover was up 28 percent, for its second best month since launch, bringing the combined SRX/XT5 year to date sales up 10 percent. August ATP was up nearly $1,400 to $53,300. Supplemental Data
      U.S. inventory levels are down about 85,000 vehicles from the end of June to about 893,000 vehicles. The company is on track to meet its inventory target, which is to end the year with stocks at or below last year’s level of about 850,000 vehicles, with fewer cars and more trucks, crossovers and utilities in the mix. According to JD Power PIN estimates, GM’s August incentive spending as a percent of ATP was 13.9 percent, in line with its domestic competitors.  Year to date, GM has the lowest daily rental mix of any full-line automaker at about 8 percent of total sales. GM remains on track to decrease daily rental sales by 50,000 units in 2017. “Hurricane Harvey did have an adverse effect on deliveries during the last week of August for every automaker but the key U.S. economic fundamentals remain supportive of strong vehicle sales,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM chief economist. “With the U.S. economy strengthening, we anticipate retail sales will be strong for the foreseeable future.”

• By William Maley
      Equinox, Acadia, Envision and XT5 Achieve Best July Ever
      Crossover and trucks account for 80 percent of sales for best monthly mix ever July incentive spending as a percentage of ATP below industry average, driving ATPs up nearly $1,000 Commercial sales up 40 percent for best July since 2007 Lowest daily rental sales mix of any full-line automaker DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported July U.S. retail sales of 202,220 vehicles, down about 14 percent from strong sales in July 2016. In July, GM’s crossovers and trucks account for 80 percent of sales for the company’s best monthly mix ever.
      While the U.S. market continues to moderate, sales of GM’s newest crossovers were strong in July:
      Chevrolet Equinox - up 4 percent for its best July ever. Chevrolet Bolt EV – 1,832 Bolts were sold in July for the best month ever. August will be the first month the Bolt EV is available on a national basis. GMC Acadia - up 30 percent for its best July ever. Buick Envision - up 89 percent for its best July ever. Cadillac XT5 - up 6 percent for its best July ever. GM’s July incentive spending as a percentage of average transaction prices (ATP) was 11.5 percent, more than 1 full percentage point below the industry average, and 0.5 percentage points below GM’s 2016 calendar year average. Some of GM’s competitors, without strong truck and crossover businesses, are offering significantly higher incentives across their entire portfolios, according to J.D. Power PIN estimates.
      In addition, GM’s ATPs were about $36,000, up nearly $1,000 from July 2016.
      “We have strategically decided to reduce car production rather than increase incentive spending or dump vehicles into daily rental fleets, like some of our competitors,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations.  “We are working hard to protect the residual values of our new products and growing quality retail and commercial sales, and July’s ATPs reflect that discipline.”
      GM’s U.S. commercial vehicles sales were up 40 percent from last July, the best July since 2007, led by strong large van sales (up 89 percent), small utilities (up 61 percent) and large pickup sales (up 21 percent).  Year to date, GM commercial sales are up 11 percent. U.S. daily rental sales were down more than 11,200 vehicles or 81 percent in July, as planned. In July, GM’s daily rental sales accounted for only 1 percent of GM’s total sales.  GM continues to have the lowest U.S. rental mix of any full-line automaker at about 7 percent of total sales year to date.    
      GM’s July total sales were 226,107 vehicles, down about 15 percent from strong levels last year.
      “Changing customer tastes have driven us to refocus our business on higher margin, faster growing segments, like the crossover segments. We are launching the most all-new crossovers in our history to take full advantage of the changes occurring in the U.S. marketplace,” added McNeil. “Our newest crossovers are performing very well in the marketplace and we’ll build on that momentum with the all-new Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Terrain, Buick Enclave and the introduction of the Regal TourX through the second half of 2017.”
      By the end of 2017, GM will offer customers the U.S. industry’s newest and broadest lineup of crossovers.
      “U.S. auto sales continue to moderate from last year’s record pace, but key U.S. economic fundamentals remain supportive of strong vehicle sales,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM chief economist. “Under the current economic conditions, we anticipate the second half of 2017 will be much stronger than the first half.”
      July Brand Retail Highlights (vs. July 2016 unless noted)       
      Chevrolet
      Colorado was up 22 percent. Both Camaro and Cruze were up slightly. Crossovers best year to date: Equinox, Traverse and Trax. Volt has best year to date. Volt and Bolt EV July sales combined for more than 3,300 deliveries. Silverado LD double cab was up 4 percent. Buick
      Best year to date retail sales since 2005, up 2 percent. July ATPs are highest since December 2015. SUV mix is highest ever at 85 percent. GMC
      ATPs are the highest ever, up 8 percent from last July. Sierra boasts the highest ATPs in the full-size pickup segment. Sierra HDs up 6 percent in July and year to date up 9 percent, the best in a decade Yukon up 4 percent. Yukon had its best July since 2007. Cadillac
      CT6 up 7 percent. Year to date, XT5 retail sales are up 10 percent vs. combined SRX and XT5 sales a year ago. July ATPs up more than $3,000 and lead the luxury market and more than $3,000 higher than its closest competitor. Guidance on U.S. Vehicle Inventory Levels
      We anticipate we will end 2017 at or below last year’s level, with fewer cars and more trucks, crossovers and utilities in the mix. Pickup, crossovers and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of 2017 vs. the first half of the year. We continue to monitor the marketplace and will make additional production adjustments if needed.
    • By William Maley
      Strong Lineup of Crossovers and Utilities Drove GM's U.S. June Sales
      Crossover retail sales up 23 percent on strength of Equinox Buick U.S. retail sales up 6 percent Commercial sales up 36 percent, for best June since 2006 Lowest daily rental sales mix of any full-line automaker DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported June U.S. retail sales of 202,908 vehicles, down about 3 percent from the same period last year. However, in the fastest growing U.S. retail market segment, GM’s crossover retail sales were up 23 percent, due largely to the strength of Chevrolet Equinox, which were up 36 percent.  Buick’s U.S. retail sales were up 6 percent. 
      GM’s U.S. Commercial sales were up 36 percent, for its best June since 2006.  Commercial and Government sales were 77 percent of GM’s fleet sales for the month.  U.S. daily rental sales were down nearly 11,000 vehicles or 54 percent in June, as planned.  
      GM’s June total sales were 243,155 vehicles, down about 5 percent from the same period last year.
      GM’s mid crossovers, compact crossovers and utilities were up a combined 22 percent on a U.S. retail sales basis compared to the same period last year. This strong performance was carried throughout the Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac lineups:
      Chevrolet Suburban – up 9 percent Chevrolet Tahoe – up 15 percent Chevrolet Equinox - up 36 percent Chevrolet Traverse – up 71 percent Chevrolet Bolt EV – delivered 1,425 vehicles. Buick Enclave –up 10 percent Buick Encore – up 8 percent Buick Envision - up 101 percent GMC Acadia – up 25 percent Cadillac Escalade – up 14 percent Cadillac XT5 – up 29 percent General Motors is in the midst of launching the most all-new crossover offerings into the U.S. market in its history. 
      “Our crossover renaissance began last year with the introduction of the all-new GMC Acadia and Cadillac XT5, and continued this year with the Chevrolet Bolt EV and Equinox,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “The all-new Equinox is off to a strong start and we will leverage that momentum as we introduce four additional crossovers in the second half of 2017.”
      By the end of 2017, GM will offer customers the U.S. industry’s newest and broadest lineup of crossovers.
      “U.S. total sales are moderating due to an industry-wide pull-back in daily rental sales, but key U.S. economic fundamentals clearly remain positive,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM chief economist. “Under the current economic conditions, we anticipate U.S. retail vehicle sales will remain strong for the foreseeable future.”
      June Business Highlights (vs. June 2016)
      According to J.D Power PIN estimates, GM’s incentive spending as a percentage of average transaction prices (ATP) was 12.0 percent in June, equal to our 2016 calendar year average, and lower than any domestic and many Asian competitors. ATPs were $35,657, up nearly $400 per vehicle. First Half Highlights (vs. First Half 2016)
      GM’s U.S. retail sales are on pace with last year’s performance. Q2 incentive spend was about 12 percent, down two full percentage points from Q1. Q2 ATPs are up about $800 over Q1, due to a higher truck/crossover mix and lower incentives. Crossover retail sales were up 23 percent, the highest first half in GM history. Buick’s U.S. retail sales were up 8 percent. Commercial sales were up 8 percent, in a segment that’s down 5 percent. Government sales were up 1 percent, in a segment that’s down 9 percent. Daily rental sales were down nearly 31,000 vehicles or 21 percent. Daily rental sales mix was in a range of about 8 percent, the lowest among full-line automakers in the U.S. industry. Combined XT5 and SRX sales are up 18 percent year to date, the highest first half for Cadillac crossovers. Best Cruze retail sales since 2014. Best Volt retail sales in history. Best Colorado retail sales since 2005. Best Traverse retail sales in history. Best Acadia retail sales in history. From an industry standpoint, GM expects the second half of 2017 will be stronger than the first half.  Pickup and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of the year.
      June Brand Retail Highlights (vs. 2016)                              

Chevrolet
      Corvette and Cruze were up 4 percent and 3 percent, respectively. Colorado was up 3 percent. Equinox had its best June ever. Crossover sales were up 42 percent. Silverado total sales are up 2 percent and retail sales are up 1 percent. Best Silverado month of the year for total sales. Buick
      Lacrosse was up 39 percent. Crossover sales were up 21 percent. GMC
      ATPs were up $1,067 to $44,539. Best Denali month ever – over 31 percent of retail sales. Cadillac
      CT6 was up 4 percent. ATPs were up $2,300 to $56,301. Guidance on U.S. Vehicle Inventory Levels
      We anticipate we will end 2017 with approximately the same day supply of vehicles as we did at the end of 2016 with fewer cars and more trucks and crossovers in the mix. Pickup and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of the year. We will continue to monitor the marketplace and will make additional production adjustments if needed.
    • By William Maley
      It is quite amazing how in the past few years, the humble heavy-duty pickup has morphed into a prized luxury vehicle. You might think that I am crazy for writing this, but consider how in the few years, truck manufacturers have been tailoring their models to appeal to a new audience. From new trim levels that focus primarily on luxury to new features that one would expect to find in an expensive sedan such as massaging front seats and high-quality leather. That doesn’t mean these luxury pickups have forgotten their main priority; to shoulder the weight of the world in terms of hauling and towing.
      Recently, we spent a week in the GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD and Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn to get a reading on where luxury heavy-duty trucks currently stand.
      Exterior
      Neither one of these trucks has gone through any significant changes since we last reviewed them. The 2500HD comes with a new hood scoop if you option the Duramax V8 turbodiesel, while certain Ram models such as our tester come with a new grille insert featuring “RAM”.
      The two trucks could not be more different in terms of design elements. The Denali is more modern with a mesh grille, square headlights with LED strands, and a seemingly endless amount of chrome trim. We've found ourselves wondering if we could blind anyone while driving if the sun hit the Denali in just the right way. Meanwhile, the Laramie Longhorn feels right at home on a farm or ranch. The two-tone paint scheme of brown and beige really sets off the Ram 2500, along with the meaty 18-inch chrome wheels. The ‘RAM’ grille is a bit much, but at least it doesn’t come with large chrome lettering on the tailgate that can be reportedly seen from space. Our test truck came with Ram Box storage system. We like the additional storage and ability for the boxes to be locked, but it also means the bed is slightly narrower than a truck without it.
      Interior
      At one time, Sierra Denali was considered the pinnacle of luxury for pickup trucks. But now it pales in comparison to the likes the Ram and Ford. The Sierra Denali has the basics such as leather upholstery and stitching on the dash. But that’s about it as there isn’t the option of wood or aluminum trim. Instead, you get painted and faux-chrome like on other Sierra models. A lack of special touches hurt the Denali as well. It would be nice if there was some exclusive feature for the Denali such as a premium audio system or massaging seats. 
      On the upside, the dashboard is laid out in a logical fashion and controls are within easy reach. Both rows of seats provide excellent support for long trips and plenty of space for most passengers. The Sierra also earns points for having numerous USB ports. Getting in and out of the Sierra 2500HD is slightly easier than the Ram 2500 as the cab height is slightly lower.
      Ram does a better a job in terms of luxury appointments. The Laramie Longhorn features what Ram calls ‘Natura Plus’ leather that feels quite nice when you run your hand across it. Real wood is used on the steering wheel and center stack trim to set it apart from other trims. Rear seat passengers will like the availability of heated seats, something not available on the Denali. There are other touches such as different background for the gauge package and seat pockets that are designed to look like saddle bags. It might look ridiculous to some, but Ram deserves some credit for trying to stand out.
      Like the Sierra, Ram has a well-laid out dashboard with controls in the place you would expect. Seats aren’t as comfortable as the Sierra, but the 2500 does match it in terms of interior space. The Ram 2500 is somewhat harder to get in as feel like to you have to take a running leap, despite there being entry rails and grab handles. It is also quite the drop when getting out.
      Technology
      If there is an area that the Sierra leapfrogs the Ram, it is in technology. The Denali comes with an eight-inch screen featuring GMC’s Intellilink system as standard. This system has been improving since we first tried it a few years ago with improved performance and better stability. The only thing that needs to fixed is the slow response of the navigation system when first launched. Using the system is easy thanks to a simple interface and physical buttons underneath the screen. The addition of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto give Intellilink more of an edge over other systems.
      Ram’s UConnect system was for a time considered one of the best systems thanks to a large screen and interface that offers large touchscreen buttons. It still retains these plus points, but it looks quite dated to the system found in the Sierra. A lot of this comes down to the interface which hasn’t changed since UConnect was launched a few years ago. There is a new version of UConnect that FCA has implemented into various models such as the Pacifica and the 2017 Dodge Charger that brings an updated look along with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. Sadly, the Ram 2500 misses out on this and it is unclear whether it will get in this current-generation or in a redesign.
      Performance
      Both trucks came with their respective optional diesel engines. For the Sierra Denali 2500HD, it is an updated 6.6L Duramax turbodiesel V8 offering 445 horsepower and 910 pound-feet of torque. Ram sticks with 6.7L Cummins turbodiesel inline-six with 370 horsepower and 800 pound-feet of torque. Both engines come paired with six-speed automatic transmissions, but the Ram is available with a six-speed manual.
      On paper, the Sierra Denali 2500HD smokes the Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn and this plays out in the real world as well. The Duramax gets the Sierra 2500HD up to speed at a surprising rate. It feels more like a muscle car thanks to an abundance of low-end torque and being the lightest truck in the class - 6,532 lbs for a 4WD crew cab and 6’6” box vs. 7,625 lbs for the Ram 2500 when similarly equipped. A lot of these performance gains come from changes GM made to the Duramax V8 for 2017 with most of the engine’s internals being replaced and new cool air system with a hood vent. Aside from increased power, the changes also affect how quiet this engine is. Start the engine up and you’ll faintly hear the diesel clatter from inside. 
      The 6.7L Cummins cannot match the Duramax in outright performance. It takes about a second or two longer to hit the same speed as the Duramax. The large deficit in power and being slightly heavier than the Sierra 2500HD are the main reasons as to why. Not helping matters is the Cummins being quite louder than Duramax. At idle, it sounds like a semi-truck.
      Fuel Economy
      Neither truck is rated by the EPA as they're exempted from testing due to their heavy weight. In our week-long evaluation, both trucks returned an average of 15 mpg in mostly city driving.
      Towing
      Ram shines here as the maximum tow rating for our particular configuration (crew cab, 6’6” bed, and 4WD) comes in 17,200 lbs. GMC comes up short at 13,000 lbs in the same configuration. 
      Ride and Handling
      While the Sierra Denali 2500HD may trail the Ram in terms of towing, it runs away when it comes to the ride. Despite sticking with a set leaf-springs in the rear, the Sierra 2500HD does a better job smoothing out bumps than the Ram’s coil-spring setup when the beds are empty. Fill them up and it becomes a dead heat in terms of ride quality. Ram does claw some points back as body motions are controlled better when turning and the steering doesn’t wander as much when driven on the highway.
      Noise isolation goes to the GMC as there has been a fair amount of work done on adding more sound insulation to the truck, along with the improvements made to the engine.
      Value
      Both of these trucks are expensive propositions. The Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn comes in at $73,310 as equipped and the Sierra Denali 2500HD is slightly less at $70,540. The key reason for the high prices are the optional diesel engines - $8,700 for the Ram and $9,550 for the Sierra. Considering how much power you get, we give this to Sierra by a hair.
      Verdict
      If we consider these two trucks as luxury models, then we would rank the Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn ahead of the Sierra Denali. It makes passengers feel special with various touches such as the unique leather for the trim and heated rear seats. But both trucks pale in comparison to all-new Ford F-Series Super Duty that brings massaging seats and impressive material qualities in its top trim.
      But when it comes to heavy-duty truck things, the GMC Sierra Denali stands above. While the Ram 2500 may have the more impressive towing numbers, the Sierra fights back with the more powerful diesel engine, better NVH containment, and a more comfortable ride. Hence why it takes this comparison test by a very narrow margin.
      Disclaimer: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and General Motors Provided the trucks, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: GMC
      Model: Sierra 2500HD
      Trim: Denali
      Engine: 6.6L Duramax Turbodiesel V8
      Driveline: Allison Six-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 445 @ 2,800
      Torque @ RPM: 910 @ 1,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - N/A
      Curb Weight: 6,532 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Flint, MI
      Base Price: $58,495
      As Tested Price: $70,540 (Includes $1,195.00 Destination Charge and $750.00 Duramax Plus Package Discount)
      Options:
      Duramax Plus Package - $9,550.00
      Power Sunroof - $995.00
      Dark Slate Metallic - $395.00
      5th Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer Hi Tch Prep Package - $370.00
      Off-Road Suspension Package - $180.00
      Roof Marker Lamps - $55.00
      Radiator Cover - $55.00
      Make: Ram
      Model: 2500
      Trim: Laramie Longhorn
      Engine: 6.7L Cummins Turbodiesel Inline-Six
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 370 @ 2,800 
      Torque @ RPM: 800 @ 1,600
      Curb Weight: 7,625 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Saltillo, Mexico
      Base Price: $57,575
      As Tested Price: $73,310 (Includes $1,395 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      6.7L Cummins Turbodiesel Inline-Six - $8,700.00
      RamBox Cargo Management System - $1,295.00
      Power Sunroof - $1,095.00
      Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover - $545.00
      Convenience Group - $395.00
      Wheel to Wheel Side Steps - $395.00
      Center High-Mount Stop Lamp w/Cargo View Camera - $345.00
      LT275/70R18E OWL On/Off-Road Tires - $245.00
      Off-Road Package - $200.00
      Keyless Enter n' Go - $195.00
      Power Chrome Trailer Tow Mirrors w/Power Fold Away - $195.00
      Rear Window Defroster - $195.00
      Clearance Lamps - $95.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It is quite amazing how in the past few years, the humble heavy-duty pickup has morphed into a prized luxury vehicle. You might think that I am crazy for writing this, but consider how in the few years, truck manufacturers have been tailoring their models to appeal to a new audience. From new trim levels that focus primarily on luxury to new features that one would expect to find in an expensive sedan such as massaging front seats and high-quality leather. That doesn’t mean these luxury pickups have forgotten their main priority; to shoulder the weight of the world in terms of hauling and towing.
      Recently, we spent a week in the GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD and Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn to get a reading on where luxury heavy-duty trucks currently stand.
      Exterior
      Neither one of these trucks has gone through any significant changes since we last reviewed them. The 2500HD comes with a new hood scoop if you option the Duramax V8 turbodiesel, while certain Ram models such as our tester come with a new grille insert featuring “RAM”.
      The two trucks could not be more different in terms of design elements. The Denali is more modern with a mesh grille, square headlights with LED strands, and a seemingly endless amount of chrome trim. We've found ourselves wondering if we could blind anyone while driving if the sun hit the Denali in just the right way. Meanwhile, the Laramie Longhorn feels right at home on a farm or ranch. The two-tone paint scheme of brown and beige really sets off the Ram 2500, along with the meaty 18-inch chrome wheels. The ‘RAM’ grille is a bit much, but at least it doesn’t come with large chrome lettering on the tailgate that can be reportedly seen from space. Our test truck came with Ram Box storage system. We like the additional storage and ability for the boxes to be locked, but it also means the bed is slightly narrower than a truck without it.
      Interior
      At one time, Sierra Denali was considered the pinnacle of luxury for pickup trucks. But now it pales in comparison to the likes the Ram and Ford. The Sierra Denali has the basics such as leather upholstery and stitching on the dash. But that’s about it as there isn’t the option of wood or aluminum trim. Instead, you get painted and faux-chrome like on other Sierra models. A lack of special touches hurt the Denali as well. It would be nice if there was some exclusive feature for the Denali such as a premium audio system or massaging seats. 
      On the upside, the dashboard is laid out in a logical fashion and controls are within easy reach. Both rows of seats provide excellent support for long trips and plenty of space for most passengers. The Sierra also earns points for having numerous USB ports. Getting in and out of the Sierra 2500HD is slightly easier than the Ram 2500 as the cab height is slightly lower.
      Ram does a better a job in terms of luxury appointments. The Laramie Longhorn features what Ram calls ‘Natura Plus’ leather that feels quite nice when you run your hand across it. Real wood is used on the steering wheel and center stack trim to set it apart from other trims. Rear seat passengers will like the availability of heated seats, something not available on the Denali. There are other touches such as different background for the gauge package and seat pockets that are designed to look like saddle bags. It might look ridiculous to some, but Ram deserves some credit for trying to stand out.
      Like the Sierra, Ram has a well-laid out dashboard with controls in the place you would expect. Seats aren’t as comfortable as the Sierra, but the 2500 does match it in terms of interior space. The Ram 2500 is somewhat harder to get in as feel like to you have to take a running leap, despite there being entry rails and grab handles. It is also quite the drop when getting out.
      Technology
      If there is an area that the Sierra leapfrogs the Ram, it is in technology. The Denali comes with an eight-inch screen featuring GMC’s Intellilink system as standard. This system has been improving since we first tried it a few years ago with improved performance and better stability. The only thing that needs to fixed is the slow response of the navigation system when first launched. Using the system is easy thanks to a simple interface and physical buttons underneath the screen. The addition of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto give Intellilink more of an edge over other systems.
      Ram’s UConnect system was for a time considered one of the best systems thanks to a large screen and interface that offers large touchscreen buttons. It still retains these plus points, but it looks quite dated to the system found in the Sierra. A lot of this comes down to the interface which hasn’t changed since UConnect was launched a few years ago. There is a new version of UConnect that FCA has implemented into various models such as the Pacifica and the 2017 Dodge Charger that brings an updated look along with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. Sadly, the Ram 2500 misses out on this and it is unclear whether it will get in this current-generation or in a redesign.
      Performance
      Both trucks came with their respective optional diesel engines. For the Sierra Denali 2500HD, it is an updated 6.6L Duramax turbodiesel V8 offering 445 horsepower and 910 pound-feet of torque. Ram sticks with 6.7L Cummins turbodiesel inline-six with 370 horsepower and 800 pound-feet of torque. Both engines come paired with six-speed automatic transmissions, but the Ram is available with a six-speed manual.
      On paper, the Sierra Denali 2500HD smokes the Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn and this plays out in the real world as well. The Duramax gets the Sierra 2500HD up to speed at a surprising rate. It feels more like a muscle car thanks to an abundance of low-end torque and being the lightest truck in the class - 6,532 lbs for a 4WD crew cab and 6’6” box vs. 7,625 lbs for the Ram 2500 when similarly equipped. A lot of these performance gains come from changes GM made to the Duramax V8 for 2017 with most of the engine’s internals being replaced and new cool air system with a hood vent. Aside from increased power, the changes also affect how quiet this engine is. Start the engine up and you’ll faintly hear the diesel clatter from inside. 
      The 6.7L Cummins cannot match the Duramax in outright performance. It takes about a second or two longer to hit the same speed as the Duramax. The large deficit in power and being slightly heavier than the Sierra 2500HD are the main reasons as to why. Not helping matters is the Cummins being quite louder than Duramax. At idle, it sounds like a semi-truck.
      Fuel Economy
      Neither truck is rated by the EPA as they're exempted from testing due to their heavy weight. In our week-long evaluation, both trucks returned an average of 15 mpg in mostly city driving.
      Towing
      Ram shines here as the maximum tow rating for our particular configuration (crew cab, 6’6” bed, and 4WD) comes in 17,200 lbs. GMC comes up short at 13,000 lbs in the same configuration. 
      Ride and Handling
      While the Sierra Denali 2500HD may trail the Ram in terms of towing, it runs away when it comes to the ride. Despite sticking with a set leaf-springs in the rear, the Sierra 2500HD does a better job smoothing out bumps than the Ram’s coil-spring setup when the beds are empty. Fill them up and it becomes a dead heat in terms of ride quality. Ram does claw some points back as body motions are controlled better when turning and the steering doesn’t wander as much when driven on the highway.
      Noise isolation goes to the GMC as there has been a fair amount of work done on adding more sound insulation to the truck, along with the improvements made to the engine.
      Value
      Both of these trucks are expensive propositions. The Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn comes in at $73,310 as equipped and the Sierra Denali 2500HD is slightly less at $70,540. The key reason for the high prices are the optional diesel engines - $8,700 for the Ram and $9,550 for the Sierra. Considering how much power you get, we give this to Sierra by a hair.
      Verdict
      If we consider these two trucks as luxury models, then we would rank the Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn ahead of the Sierra Denali. It makes passengers feel special with various touches such as the unique leather for the trim and heated rear seats. But both trucks pale in comparison to all-new Ford F-Series Super Duty that brings massaging seats and impressive material qualities in its top trim.
      But when it comes to heavy-duty truck things, the GMC Sierra Denali stands above. While the Ram 2500 may have the more impressive towing numbers, the Sierra fights back with the more powerful diesel engine, better NVH containment, and a more comfortable ride. Hence why it takes this comparison test by a very narrow margin.
      Disclaimer: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and General Motors Provided the trucks, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Make: GMC
      Model: Sierra 2500HD
      Trim: Denali
      Engine: 6.6L Duramax Turbodiesel V8
      Driveline: Allison Six-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 445 @ 2,800
      Torque @ RPM: 910 @ 1,600
      Curb Weight: 6,532 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Flint, MI
      Base Price: $58,495
      As Tested Price: $70,540 (Includes $1,195.00 Destination Charge and $750.00 Duramax Plus Package Discount)
      Options:
      Duramax Plus Package - $9,550.00
      Power Sunroof - $995.00
      Dark Slate Metallic - $395.00
      5th Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer Hi Tch Prep Package - $370.00
      Off-Road Suspension Package - $180.00
      Roof Marker Lamps - $55.00
      Radiator Cover - $55.00
      Make: Ram
      Model: 2500
      Trim: Laramie Longhorn
      Engine: 6.7L Cummins Turbodiesel Inline-Six
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 370 @ 2,800 
      Torque @ RPM: 800 @ 1,600
      Curb Weight: 7,625 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Saltillo, Mexico
      Base Price: $57,575
      As Tested Price: $73,310 (Includes $1,395 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      6.7L Cummins Turbodiesel Inline-Six - $8,700.00
      RamBox Cargo Management System - $1,295.00
      Power Sunroof - $1,095.00
      Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover - $545.00
      Convenience Group - $395.00
      Wheel to Wheel Side Steps - $395.00
      Center High-Mount Stop Lamp w/Cargo View Camera - $345.00
      LT275/70R18E OWL On/Off-Road Tires - $245.00
      Off-Road Package - $200.00
      Keyless Enter n' Go - $195.00
      Power Chrome Trailer Tow Mirrors w/Power Fold Away - $195.00