Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Shows The New Silverado To Dealers, Announces New High Country Luxury Model

William Maley

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

September 24, 2012

Sometime this month in Las Vegas, GM executives showed Chevrolet dealers the next-generation Silverado.

Dealers who saw the new Silverado say the design is evolutionary.

"It's not a major change for an all-new model, but it'll be much bolder looking and have a lot more features," says Tom Durant, owner of Classic Chevrolet in Grape-vine, Texas.

The next-gen Silverado will be about three to four inches taller than the current model and have a brawny look. Extended-cab models will get rear-doors. Dealers say this move will help sales of extended-cab models. Crew-cab models will see an increase in rear legroom and a optional 6 1/2-foot bed.

Dealers were also told that the Silverado would be getting a high-end luxury model called the High Country.

"They said it would have a Western flair and unique leather. They basically said, 'If it's on the King Ranch, we're going to have it,'" a dealer told Automotive News.

Dealers have been clamoring for a luxury model of the Silverado for awhile to better compete with the Ram and F-150. However doing the luxury model of the Silverado does put GM between a rock and hard place since there is a luxury model of the GMC Sierra. However Dave Sullivan, a product analyst at research firm AutoPacific says offering the a luxury model of the Silverado won't cause a shift of GMC buyers to Chevrolet. Sullivan goes onto say the the move of offering a luxury Silverado can help move up the brand.

"A higher-end Chevy gives GMC the ability to move up. And Chevy can also move up. There's no reason GM's volume pickup brand shouldn't have something to go up against" the premium offerings of Ford and Ram.

GM didn't reveal any powertrain information for the next-gen Silverado.

Source: Automotive News, 2 (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

"A higher-end Chevy gives GMC the ability to move up. And Chevy can also move up. There's no reason GM's volume pickup brand shouldn't have something to go up against" the premium offerings of Ford and Ram.

Either that, or it kills GMC...

GM trucks seem to ride low, but making them ride higher seems to run counter to a goal of better aero to meet the asinine CAFE standards. I guess in surveys, people who prefer Ford or Dodge like the higher-riding look of those other trucks.

The current Dodge half-ton 4X4 seems to ride low, I honestly cannot tell it from a 2-wheel drive unless I see the 4X4 badge, yet it seems taller than a Chevy to me.

I wonder if the 3-4 inches may be in bed height? Ford went to a deeper taller sided bed and I wonder if Chevy has followed.

The Truck were already very roomy inside and to make them taller would only make them look like the wheels look too small with larger fender gaps.

We have seen the photo's it may be time to look and compare again.

In the Photo's I have seen the greatest changes I expect will be in engine and weight as they look as if they are only seeing detail changes. I suspect they have bigger changes in 5 years plannned as this update is only like the C7. That would be a short term change for a model over due for change since the new money is here. The bigger changes they would like would have delayed the trucks even more.

• 2 weeks later...

The next-gen Silverado will be about three to four inches taller than the current model and have a brawny look. Extended-cab models will get rear-doors. Dealers say this move will help sales of extended-cab models. Crew-cab models will see an increase in rear legroom and a optional 6 1/2-foot bed.

Apparently none of these dealers realized the trucks they've been selling for the past 13 years had rear doors that opened on extended cab models...

• Agree 1

After looking at the sketch above and reviewing the AutoBlog spy pictures again, I think the drawing's headlights are off. They are too much in the vein of the current (GMT-900) Silverado and I don't think they match the spy shot very well. I feel the headlights will be more GMT-400/800 like - longer - than square. Other than that, the sketch is still :hot:

For reference, here's the spy shot I'm referencing: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-chevrolet-silverado-spy-shots-0/full/#photo-5329937/

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

After looking at the sketch above and reviewing the AutoBlog spy pictures again, I think the drawing's headlights are off. They are too much in the vein of the current (GMT-900) Silverado and I don't think they match the spy shot very well. I feel the headlights will be more GMT-400/800 like - longer - than square. Other than that, the sketch is still :hot:

For reference, here's the spy shot I'm referencing: http://www.autoblog....#photo-5329937/

Hmmm ... I think the camo-bra on the front of that truck could be throwing you off just a bit.

The elements and details of the sketch's headlights seem to be correct however, regardless.

Hmmm ... I think the camo-bra on the front of that truck could be throwing you off just a bit.

The elements and details of the sketch's headlights seem to be correct however, regardless.

I think we're both seeing it differently! :P

Here's how I view it:

Current: post-418-0-18412500-1349703177_thumb.jpg

Sketch: post-418-0-62741100-1349703178_thumb.jpg

Spy Shot: post-418-0-12650200-1349703178_thumb.jpg

2001 Silverado Headlight: post-418-0-19871200-1349703521_thumb.jpg

I still see more length in the spy shot headlight than what the sketch indicates.

Regardless, SeawolfPaul's artwork is awesome!!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74