BMW News: Rumorpile: BMW To Show Off The X4 At The Detroit Auto Show Next Year?

William Maley

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

November 12, 2012

I'm sure all of us were thinking, "You know what would make BMW's lineup perfect? A smaller X6." Well as we have been reporting for the past year, BMW has been working on a smaller X6, tentatively called the X4.

According to Autoweek, BMW could be showing the new X4 at next year's Detroit Auto Show. The X4 would carry the same coupe-like styling as the X6, while using the X3's platform as a base. The engine lineup will be similar to X3 with four- and six-cylinder engines. There is also talk of a X4 M in the works.

Source: Autoweek

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

I forsee BMW having a hard landing in the future. I honestly do not see a market for this car or the x6 for that matter. They are niche vehicles with very little sales from what I can gather. Is this just to have some marketing change blurb. I guess if they can really build it without it having a drain on raw costs, then a break even niche auto will work. But I do not see it at this time.

• Agree 1

blu and dfelt are spot on.

BMW success was premium price and premium experience of existing vehicle types.

Trying to spawn more models just for kicks, and keep prices up, will be their downfall.

Adding more models that aren't needed, will just drive the price down and then they will have to dumb down the vehicle too.

BMW shouldn't chase volume in the US. It will kill them.

They need to calm it down on weird segment combinations, and keep the focus on the core models. Sadly though people will buy the X4, because Americans like pointless SUVs. Maybe BMW should spend more time on putting hydraulic steering back into cars rather than making 4-door coupe SUVs.

• 4 years later...