Cadillac News: Cadillac's Global Vice President Reveals Some New Products

William Maley

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

February 11, 2013

Bob Ferguson, Cadillac's global vice president revealed some interesting information about what's coming down the pipeline for the wreath and crest.

For starters, Ferguson revealed that the next Cadillac CTS would be unveiled at March's New York Auto Show, confirming what we've been hearing for the past month or so. Furguson also said the CTS would be going on sale sometime in the fall.

"It's just gorgeous. We are positioning that car as a step up, so there will be a marketing challenge to reposition that car," Ferguson told the Detroit Free Press just outside of the National Automobile Dealers Association Convention in Orlando.

Ferguson also said GM would soon be introducing a coupe version of the ATS. Ferguson didn't say when, but did say it would go on sale sometime in 2014.

Source: Detroit Free Press

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Agreed with ZL-1, they need an ATS coupe and a convertible would be nice since Infiniti, Lexus, Audi and BMW have on in that segment.

I also don't like the new CTS rear end, it looks worse than the XTS and poorly proportioned and like it was designed for 80 year olds. The front grille of the new CTS looks awesome, but that back end is terrible.

If the spy photo is to be believed, the CTS will have the same tired, played out, variation on a theme raised rounded decklid edge ridge and diagonal decklid cutline below the rear window that the ATS, XTS, Malibu and the new Commodore/SS have. It's not original or new. It's a weak copy of the old BMW 7-series Bangle decklid and needs to go away ASAP. All of these cars IMO would look better if the decklids didn't have that weird ridge and were just crisply squared off w/ flush taillights, rather than the obnoxious bulging lights (Malibu).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Something has been brewing in my brain about those rear end spyshots of the new CTS... 1975 Seville.

Cadillac_Seville_Sedan_1975.jpg

I cannot wait to see the ATS coupe... I just hope they've learned a lesson from the fat-ass CTS coupe and don't give us a mini-me of that car.

Edited by ocnblu

Not seeing any correlation w/ the first gen Seville, but the taillights on that gray one (the spy pic purported to be the new CTS) remind me of those on my sister's '00 DTS, at least as far as the shape.

It will be interesting to see where they go w/ the ATS coupe, whether it will be a 2dr version of the 4dr with the same profile or if it will be a fastback like the CTS coupe...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Well, it's got modest little rectangular tails, like the old Seville, imo.

ku-large.jpg

I see what you mean about relations to your sister's car though, too. The newest Cadillacs have nice, sharp, fin-like tails... is this a ploy to win over Chinese buyers? Wasn't it reported that they're a bit scared of sharp-edged Cadillacs? Heaven forbid we should offend THEM. :rolleyes:

Edited by ocnblu

The '75 Seville looks better than that CTS, maybe they should bring that back instead. I can't find one good thing about the back end of the CTS. The Bangle-era 7-series survived with a bad back end, but it was also established in it's class and at that time few strong competitors to bring it down. The CTS is not established in the $50-70,000 price class and there are several strong competitors there already.

I had high hopes for the new CTS, and from the front it showed promise as the grille looks sharp (although not a fan of the headlights), but the back end ruined it for me.

I don't understand the comparison to the 7-Series. This is what I think of when I look at the CTS deck, look closely:

5718696_1.jpg

I don't think the new CTS is influenced by other brands, necessarily... I think it's influenced by several different older Cadillacs... older, softer Cadillacs.

• Agree 2

There was all sorts of hand-wringing on the spy shots of the ATS too, but it looks great. Nothing can be 'ruined' until it's here to see in daylight. I have faith Cadillac will nail it.

The ATS looks a little bland to me, they could have done a more upscale grille, and I don't like the ATS trunk with the bubble, bangle butt thing. It looks worse on the next CTS. The ATS has good proportions though, the current CTS has a high belt line and looks chunky on the back half. The ATS looks good from the side, but I think could be better from the front and behind.

There was all sorts of hand-wringing on the spy shots of the ATS too, but it looks great. Nothing can be 'ruined' until it's here to see in daylight. I have faith Cadillac will nail it.

Words of wisdom!

What is more important is will these new models appeal to the market on a larger scale than Cadillac already does, Also if they plan to go global at some point they need to appeal to more than the present cars do. I like the Arts and Science but it also is polarizing, the softer lines will help sell more car as long as the hardware under it is up to the task. I would like them to get special tunes to the engines only offered in Cadillac.

The new CTS gives me more Euro vibe with a hint of the new Jag sedan.

Edited by hyperv6

Ocn ~ I see your comparison, quite valid (tho I would call those older Cadillacs (esp as pictured) sharper, not softer in line.

hyper ~ Going 'softer' to gain more sales is the Wrong Path to follow. Chasing supposed international subjectives only leads to a muddied approach, an image of confusion and a substandard effort. Part & parcel of the luxury segment is exclusivity, not homogenization. Cadillac needs to follow its prime directive focused on product. Sales will follow.

There is no universal-appealing design language.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I'd rather see Cadillac use sharp edge rear ends, the original CTS and the XLR had good tail end design, far better than this current crop of cars they are coming out with. Imagine the original CTS back end with more expensive looking LED tail lights with red/clear/amber. Just look at how good the back end of a 2004 CTS-V looks even with old school bulb taillights.

Ocn ~ I see your comparison, quite valid (tho I would call those older Cadillacs (esp as pictured) sharper, not softer in line.

hyper ~ Going 'softer' to gain more sales is the Wrong Path to follow. Chasing supposed international subjectives only leads to a muddied approach, an image of confusion and a substandard effort. Part & parcel of the luxury segment is exclusivity, not homogenization. Cadillac needs to follow its prime directive focused on product. Sales will follow.

There is no universal-appealing design language.

No there is no universal appeal but there is what does appeal to the wides part of the market.

The real issue is this. The premium car market is only 12% of the world market. Yes it is a small segment but it accounts for 50% of the global automotive profits. While I am not looking for 100,000 units of any Cadillac model I do believe they should appeal to the widest crosssection they can as this is where GM stands to drive more profit than any other car model they sell. Cadillac can be a cash cow of the auto segment and pay for a lot of other good things they need. GM for too long have relied on trucks to pay the bills and now they have a chance for a segment of cars to pay the bills.

Now I have nothing with some edgy cars like the CTS coupe but they should not be what all models are and the cars like the sedans need to still look like a Cadillac on first sight but they do need to adopt some elements that do have universal appeal. This can be done and from what I see they will do it. The Arts and Science has done well to draw attention but there are many who have stayed away because of it. If it takes a little softer edge to pick up more of the market and make more profits then they damn well should do it,

This is similar to music where some may claim Metallica sold out from the speed metal and did some softer songs. The fact is they expanded their appeal and made more money and gain more fame than they had if they had just slugged it out with their roots only,

The one I see getting hit hard is Ford on the premium market. They sold everything and only have Lincoln now and it is still failing to do what they need it to do. GM has a leg up on them and has gain much in the eyes of many vs the other global cars. GM can compete here and will but they need to stand out for the right reason and not just because they capture the love from half of the market while they repulse the other half.

While some here may not feel GM has the ability and tallent to come up with designs that are truly Cadillac but still appeal to a larger segment I do feel they do have the people to pull this off. GM needs to gain people from other brands and not just expect people to just change their minds on the Arts and Science hard edges. Lutz started this while he was there and it payed off on the second gen CTS. I expect while it will still have some edge a little softer will only expand the appeal and never be mistaken for a BMW.

I'd rather see Cadillac use sharp edge rear ends, the original CTS and the XLR had good tail end design, far better than this current crop of cars they are coming out with. Imagine the original CTS back end with more expensive looking LED tail lights with red/clear/amber. Just look at how good the back end of a 2004 CTS-V looks even with old school bulb taillights.

How many years do you plan to keep repeating the same thing over and over and over and over?

I'm not sure why one would consider an odd rounded character line on the decklid would add more appeal...it's just a tired styling cue from the Bangle era BMWs that is now overdone and played out...when a styling cue like that is used on an appliance like the new Malibu, it's day is done and is inappropriate for premium brand models...

• Agree 1

hyper ~Now I have nothing with some edgy cars like the CTS coupe but they should not be what all models are and the cars like the sedans need to still look like a Cadillac on first sight but they do need to adopt some elements that do have universal appeal. This can be done and from what I see they will do it. The Arts and Science has done well to draw attention but there are many who have stayed away because of it. If it takes a little softer edge to pick up more of the market and make more profits then they damn well should do it,

The CTS coupe is certainly NOT "what all models are" and in no way has Cadillac suggested they're going in that direction (other than a few obviously non-production concepts), so not sure where you got that idea from. But the CTS & ATS sedans HAVE "adopted elements that have universal appeal" - the issue your post raises is the implication that all elements need to fit this bill. I think you already agreed this is impossible. Sure there are those who don't care for the A&S look, this again is your evidence that there is no universal appeal vehicles. Plenty don't care for mercedes' or BMW's looks, either.

This is similar to music where some may claim Metallica sold out from the speed metal and did some softer songs. The fact is they expanded their appeal and made more money and gain more fame than they had if they had just slugged it out with their roots only,

This is a fateful analogy. In a declared attempted to "branch out', appeal to different people, and 'stretch our wings', Lulu's 1st week sales were 13,000. In contrast, Death Magnetic's 1st week sales were 490,000. The Black Album is still their highest seller, and it's from '91. Metallica makes money on continued sales of their entire catalog and very successful tours. Their 'experiements' musically have not measured up to what made them popular in the first place.

Cadillac was dead in the water circa 2000. A&S has greatly improved their image & appeal - further cultivating what has been highly exclusive (and cribbed in some automotive quarters- see MB) will continue that perception prosperity. Cadillac only need concern themselves with profit, not sales volume.

This is a case of not abandoning Arts and Science but a case of refining the design language to appeal to a wider segment of the market. Wider acceptance = more sales that = more profits.

The black album was a home run and not any groupe or car company is going to hit a home run everytime at the plate. But in spite of Death Magnetic they still fill arenas and make tons of money touring because of the expaned appeal of the Black Album, Cadillac had some home runs in the 50s and 60s but got stale in the 70s and still sold a lot of cars. Same for Benze etc. Once you earn the rep even if you fall short people keep coming back.

IMO, the Black Album is in line with traditional Metallica. The branching out was Lulu & St. Anger, which were damaging flops.

MOP, AJFA & DM remain my favorites by far. Hopefully they have another DM in them; the uncountable millions abolishes the angst & sucks the passion right out of the music in most cases.

"Cadillac had some home runs in the 1950s" ??? The entire decade was a rout; glamour piled upon solid bedrock, driving style forward & leading the way. There was a brief stumble in '61-62, but Cadillac tacked on another rout of a decade in the 1960s, too. And they focused on product, and grew sales steadily with the same catalog. That's execution.

'Refining design' anymore usually means lateral moves, but if the result is solid & inline with the image & core buyers, that's still good. Thankfully, Cadillac has an immense catalog of design heritage to draw inspiration from, unlike many of it's competitors.

Well the Black was panned by many of the traditional thrash people because it was viewed as soft vs the Kill em All. type of start they had. There were hints in the others of a softer side like One etc. trust me I get bashed by some friends for supporting the black and the two after it. As for St and Mag we all joke the issue was Jame not drinking. LOL!

Yes the 50's were a rout but that rout ran into the ground in the 70's. As for 61-62 that is opinion as many people love these cars. I love them more than the later cars.

Might also note some of Cadillacs best work was Fin Less. Have been around many V12 and V16 cars at shows the styling is as good as it got in the era and it lead most others. The one used on the Glenmoore Gathersings event poster about 5 years ago was amazing,

If the spy photo is to be believed, the CTS will have the same tired, played out, variation on a theme raised rounded decklid edge ridge and diagonal decklid cutline below the rear window that the ATS, XTS, Malibu and the new Commodore/SS have. It's not original or new. It's a weak copy of the old BMW 7-series Bangle decklid and needs to go away ASAP. All of these cars IMO would look better if the decklids didn't have that weird ridge and were just crisply squared off w/ flush taillights, rather than the obnoxious bulging lights (Malibu).

AMEN!

Here's another Cadillac with a coffin deck... with Cadillac's unmatched design history, you'd think a Bangle BMW wouldn't even be in the same universe... I guess he made an impression on some of us. I prefer to see the 2014 CTS in this context of design heritage...

426364_324178404337934_1577826763_n.jpg