Sign in to follow this  
buickguy

Improving the LaCrosse?

I happen to like the LaCrosse, but sales are down the past couple of months. It also gets some unfair criticism in the media, called bland by some. Bland=Camry.

Anyway, what changes could be made before the '07 models start rolling out?

More chrome?

Portholes?

I saw a picture somewhere of a LaCrosse with portholes (ebay I think) and it looked cool. My dealer told me some dealerships are putting the portholes on.

I haven't driven one yet, but I have sat in several in showrooms and a car show.

- It needs a fifth gear

- ABS standard across all models

- Better side impact safety rating (was only 3* I think?). can't remember if there are side air-bags available

- Dash quality needs improving - all those little buttons? The car is aimed at older people, who most likely don't have such good hand-eye-button coordination as younger people

- Front seats didn't feel bucket-like enough to me

- Rear headroom was disappointing, but that would involve a re-design of the body shape

- Make the CXS suspension standard across the board and stiffen further the CXS' suspension

- No port holes

I quite like the shape of the LaCrosse - it's quite sleek from the front.

Edited by stodge

- Give the front a bit larger grill and headlights

- Show more incriments on the speedometor

- Redesign the buckets

- USE REAL WOOD not the cheap plastic stuff you can find in a Chevy

- Redesigned center stack, use piano black on it

- Improve the materials all around

- Softer leather

- More appealing interior colors

- 5 or 6 speed autmatic

- Better suspension tuning across the board

- More standard equipment across the board...it's a Buick not a Chevy

- Navigation system...if you can buy it on a Mazda3 or a civic, you should be able to get it on a Buick <_<

Edited by Dodgefan

Anyway, what changes could be made before the '07 models start rolling out?

See the two topics below for expected changes... I have a feeling that we'll see the changes for each on both (except exterior colors.)

2007 Allure Changes

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...?showtopic=8277

2007 LaCrosse Changes

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...?showtopic=8072

I haven't driven one yet, but I have sat in several in showrooms and a car show.

- It needs a fifth gear

- ABS standard across all models

- Better side impact safety rating (was only 3* I think?). can't remember if there are side air-bags available

- Dash quality needs improving - all those little buttons? The car is aimed at older people, who most likely don't have such good hand-eye-button coordination as younger people

- Front seats didn't feel bucket-like enough to me

- Rear headroom was disappointing, but that would involve a re-design of the body shape

- Make the CXS suspension standard across the board and stiffen further the CXS' suspension

- No port holes

I quite like the shape of the LaCrosse - it's quite sleek from the front.

GM does not have a 5-speed FWD auto tranny.

ABS is standard across all models

There are no port holes on the LaCrosse unless the dealer installs them.

As for the other changes, I agree.

Exterior: new front end. This car shares its badge with the Velite/Enclave and not with the Jaguar X-Type.

Interior: real wood and navigation (full colour screen).

Mechanics: 2.8L and 3.6L V6 both with 6sp auto.

GM does not have a 5-speed FWD auto tranny.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the equinox come with a 5-speed auto? Didn't the Saturn Ion have a 5-speed auto when it first came out that was later replaced with a more reliable 4 speed unit?

There's only so much you can improve on such an old platform.

Moving to the Epsilon platform will give it a clean slate.

From there, Lutz can take care of the rest. Look at what he's done so far.

The current Lacrosse is in no way competitive with the other cars in it's segment other then having a quiet interior. I sat in one and I couldn't get over how cheap everything felt. Though, I wasn't too surprised. It is a pre-Lutz GM vehicle.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the equinox come with a 5-speed auto?  Didn't the Saturn Ion have a 5-speed auto when it first came out that was later replaced with a more reliable 4 speed unit?

Those aren't GMs... they got them from another company... Aisin I believe.

Now, I'm all for throwing another tranny in if it'll make the car look better (and still perform as wonderful as the 4-speed), but I don't think they can do that... since people say the platform can't handle the 6-speed auto GM just came out with.

I'm a little annoyed--I really thought for 2007 we were going to see the LaCrosse Super.

I sat in one and I couldn't get over how cheap everything felt.  Though, I wasn't too surprised.  It is a pre-Lutz GM vehicle.

As much as people want to whine about the styling, lack of features, & wood pattern... the interior materials are not cheap. Almost the entire interior (dash and door panels) is covered in soft touch materials. The headliner is woven. The leather's suppleness compares to vehicles costing several thousands more. The cloth material is durable. It's lighter than what some prefer but the cloth material is not cheap.

I've been is loaded CXS LaCrosses and stripped CXs. The LaCrosse's interior is well built and solid. The mentioned changes in the other topics may help with the perception. The most important one is the Allure's wood grain change.

I'm a little annoyed--I really thought for 2007 we were going to see the LaCrosse Super.

You'll have to wait one more year, but it will be shortlived as W-bods stop production in early 2009.

You'll have to wait one more year, but it will be shortlived as W-bods stop production in early 2009.

I know, but part of me is very disappointed because we could have used the grille change and optional V8 for more than one year. It might have helped sales, and unified Buick's look being we'll have the Enclave and Lucerne with their nice, non-ovoid grilles.

As much as people want to whine about the styling, lack of features, & wood pattern... the interior materials are not cheap. Almost the entire interior (dash and door panels) is covered in soft touch materials. The headliner is woven. The leather's suppleness compares to vehicles costing several thousands more. The cloth material is durable. It's lighter than what some prefer but the cloth material is not cheap.

I've been is loaded CXS LaCrosses and stripped CXs. The LaCrosse's interior is well built and solid. The mentioned changes in the other topics may help with the perception. The most important one is the Allure's wood grain change.

Then you and I were in entirely different vehicles.. because that car did not feel like an expensive interior. It may have looked nice, but that ugly black center consule just ruined it. My Grand Am interior feels better. Honest!

Then you and I were in entirely different vehicles.. because that car did not feel like an expensive interior.  It may have looked nice, but that ugly black center consule just ruined it.  My Grand Am interior feels better.  Honest!

I agree. It does have a lot of generally nice touches, like SOME of the dash and door materials, the headliner/pillars, and the soft leather, but that HUGE black rectangle in the center of the dash (which, somehow, doesn't even have buttons on it from any other GM vehicle...and that's not a good thing...) looks so awful, and there are still a few cheap touches right beside some of the okay ones elsewhere.

It is assembled solidly, that is true, just as are most GM vehicles, but just is not at all impressive and parts like that huge flat black area just look out of place and more prototype-tester than anything. Not to mention the lack of room.

A nice car, but nothing great, and REALLY dopey looking in typical CX'd hubcap guise. A loaded black CXS is quite striking, though, somehow...hmm...

Edited by caddycruiser

The shame of the LaCrosse's center stack is that its probably as dimensionally wide as the preceeding Regal's, yet the Regal's looked sporty and better laid-out. This has always been my big LaCrosse gripe.

Cadillacfan & Caddcruiser: I was not commenting on appearances. Styling is VERY subjective. A lot of people don't like the Black colored center stack. That has to do with styling/appearance.

You fail to recognize that the center stack would look better in a different color or shaped differently, but there's no need to use a different material. Also, the integration of the Radio & HVAC controls are far superior to any of GM's other midsize sedans. The details are there.

Caddycruiser, I have no idea what you're referring to about the "other cheap" touches. Grab handles are dampened. Everything is illuminated. Gaps are tight inside and out.

Both of you elaborated on a specific detail, however the original comment stated everything felt cheap. That is nowhere close to the truth.

My biggest beef with the LaX's material quality is probably the plastic wood trim and the bare doorpanels... why no upholstery inserts? I believe the old Regal had them (or was it Intrigue?)

As far as deficiencies in material quality, certainly the door panels are worth pointing out... no upholstery inserts and molded plastic wood trim. Didn't the old Regal have leather inserts? Or was it the Intrigue?

Posted Image

The molded door panel materials are the same soft-touch plastics as on the dash. They're not cheap.

Wood is on the LaCrosse's door armrests Door handles are Chrome... Both are unlike the last Regal.

IIRC, the last Regal & Century had vinyl inserts.

The Impala's molded door panels feel cheap. Not the LaCrosse's.

Posted Image

The molded door panel materials are the same soft-touch plastics as on the dash. They're not cheap.

Wood is on the LaCrosse's door armrests Door handles are Chrome... Both are unlike the last Regal.

IIRC, the last Regal & Century had vinyl inserts.

The Impala's molded door panels feel cheap. Not the LaCrosse's.

It just seems a bit bare, then, without any inserts. I like the Lucerne's a lot more... the different layers of materials make it seem more... engineered?

Posted Image

(edited to remove my own sarcasm - VS)

A clear pic of the dash. Styling is bad to some eyes, but it's a well built environment:

Posted Image

non-intrusive trunk hinges:

Posted Image

The interior materials are soft and low-gloss. The assembly is excellent.

Posted Image

Forgive my sarcasm empowah. It's not directed at you personally. I agree with a lot of your points in several areas. I'm just burnt-out on the LaCrosse getting attacked in areas that it's actually competitive.

The interior materials and fit&finish are great. The styling lets a lot of people down though.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook