Random Thoughts Thread

Feel better Dave!

So I posted a pic of this car from eBay earlier:

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 9.21.25 AM.png

Seller had it advertised as an Eldorado, which is isn't. I contacted him pointing this out, he mumbled back he was told that's how many were made (quoted Eldorado production number in auction) and that the values of the 'E' and Series 62 were only $10K apart (way off there).

So I'm watching the auction anyway. Starts at $15K, no reserve, gets bid to $20,910. Auction ends. Terms are $500 deposit required within 48 hours. Within 2 hours, the car is relisted with exact same description with 1 additional line: "Relisted with buy it now due to non payer".

I guess the winning bidder backed out immediately at the end of the auction. Weird.

- - - - -
2nd auction was ended- seller updated description saying he would take $18K. There are beautiful examples of this year/model for sale asking in the $55K range- could not restore this car to that condition with a buy-in of $18K andbreak even.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

Just watched the Genovation GXE Corvette hit a world record 190.48 standing mile speed with a top speed of 209 MPH for an EV Corvette. 

Amazing part is you can choose yours with an 8 speed paddle shifter or 7 speed manual trans.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

As much as I think I'd like the feel of a transmission shifting gears, is there any benefit for that in an EV? Are RPM's and spinning speed of a motor ever a factor in an EV to the point that you'd want to slow them down through gearing? 

In watching the record set above for standing mile, clearly he is driving a manual EV, but I think the records will go beyond that with an automatic as the computer can shift faster than a human can.

In regards to slowing down, it is more a matter of keeping the electric motor in it's maximum torque and HP range which I have read and see examples about that does help I believe the EV auto from a supercar standpoint. 

I think for a commuter car, no transmission is just fine as they run the instant torque to get going and maintain the speed for what is done around town.

Gotta love History, on this day Jan 2nd 2009 a rare 1937 Bugatti Type 57S Atalante, one of only 17 built was found in a garage of a doctor who passed away. His family put it up for auction getting over $4.4 million for the car. Supercharged Inline 8 motor. 26,284 original miles according to the story.

Rare-1937-Bugatti-Type-57S-Atalante-Coupe-Found-in-Garage.jpg

http://www.inticweb.com/top-stories/rare-1937-bugatti-type-57s-atalante-coupe-found-in-garage-998-2018/

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

As much as I think I'd like the feel of a transmission shifting gears, is there any benefit for that in an EV? Are RPM's and spinning speed of a motor ever a factor in an EV to the point that you'd want to slow them down through gearing? 

The short answer is that for vehicles like a Bolt or Tesla, there is little need to have a transmission.  The friction losses and additional weight won't be made up for by increases in efficiency or performance.

The basic rule is that an electric motor's peak torque happens at zero RPM and it drops from there. Now that isn't always true due to some technological advances, but the overall trendline keeps to that.  Computers are able to change the waveform of the current to "grab" the motor and make it more torquey at lower RPM and more efficient at higher RPM.  As with gasoline motors, efficiency and power can vary at different RPM.  If you've ever heard an electric train accelerate from stop, the sound they make is the computer adjusting the waveforms to maximize torque. 

You'll hear 2 distinct noises in this clip, a high pitch whine from the coils that changes independent of vehicle speed, and then another lower pitch wine from the electric motors.

This is effectively a similar idea to a transmission in that it changes the torque and efficiency output of the motors.  The train above is scheduled for 180mph and it doesn't have a transmission.

The reason for a transmission develops when the rotational forces from the motive power do not match the delivery needs of a vehicle.  A gasoline motor produces zero torque at zero RPM and typically doesn't produce usable torque until about 1000 rpm.  After that level, the best torque for most consumer gasoline engines typically is in a range from about 1500 rpm - 4000 rpm.  There are exceptions to this range, but that will cover most vehicles.   Outside of those ranges, gasoline engines aren't really efficient... That's why you don't want to run around in 2nd gear all the time even though the performance might be better. 

Electric motors simply do not have that issue.  They start at max torque and it's a gentle slope down through the RPM range until red-line.  They are also capable of RPM that gasoline motors can only dream of. Where a typical consumer gasoline motor may top out at 6,500 RPM (this is also the design limit for most of the automatics on the market today), an electric motor can keep right on trucking to 10,000 rpm or 15,000 rpm or more.

The only time a transmission might make sense is if you are keeping the motor size so small that even at max torque it isn't supplying enough torque to keep the car moving at the default gearing.  Even a Chevy Spark can fit an electric motor that has more torque than a 5.3 Silverado.... so I don't see that becoming an issue for cars.

All of that said, the power curve of electric motors is such that even if you did put a transmission on it, the best setup would be a CVT, so you'd never have a shifting automatic anyway. 

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Gotta love History, on this day Jan 2nd 2009 a rare 1937 Bugatti Type 57S Atalante, one of only 17 built was found in a garage of a doctor who passed away. His family put it up for auction getting over $4.4 million for the car. Supercharged Inline 8 motor.

Butt-ugly car, but bet that I-8 was incredibly smooth.

• Like 1

Boston is getting hammered with a snowstorm as we speak? (Yesterday and today)

This is what I just learned while watching the news on TV.

Im jealous. Montreal just got a measly 1-2 inches of snow in that same time frame. We used to get that kinda storm. 

Oh well. Obladi oblada life goes on. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Boston is getting hammered with a snowstorm as we speak? (Yesterday and today)

This is what I just learned while watching the news on TV.

Im jealous. Montreal just got a measly 1-2 inches of snow in that same time frame. We used to get that kinda storm. 

Oh well. Obladi oblada life goes on. 

Montreal is often known for being a couple of inches shy....

We're not getting snow but we've been in the nasty cold for about 2 weeks now. Yesterday was the warmest in that time span with a high of about 23F. We've been in the negatives at night and morning and highs in the single digits to teens. Luckily it really hasn't been windy so it isn't as bad as the numbers suggest, imo. 

When I got in my car this morning it was 1F at about 7:15am. 

59F and sunny in Marathon..that is cold for the Keys...I remember when I lived down there they closed the high school when it got to 45F one January day.  Planning to go down there a couple times this year.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

But But The online pictures show Florida is covered in Ice! :o 

That's way far north of where my parent live. 

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

59F and sunny in Marathon..that is cold for the Keys...I remember when I lived down there they closed the high school when it got to 45F one January day.

You lived in Marathon?  How did I not know that?

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's way far north of where my parent live. 

You lived in Marathon?  How did I not know that?

Thought I'd mentioned that before...I lived there from '81-88.   Went to Jr High and High School there, graduated from Marathon.   My folks bought a winter house there in '81, sold it in the mid 90s.   Loved living down there...

18 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Thought I'd mentioned that before...I lived there from '81-88.   Went to Jr High and High School there, graduated from Marathon.   My folks bought a winter house there in '81, sold it in the mid 90s.   Loved living down there...

With the weather we're having here lately, moving to Miami to be closer to my parents is looking very attractive. 

• Agree 1

Yeah, been pretty cold and snowy since Xmas here in NE Ohio..I wouldn't mind winters in S. Florida eventually.   I'm still happy to be away from Arizona and love having the Lake Erie beaches and islands close by (in nice weather). 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Not too bad in central NJ, blowing a lot, maybe 3" so far.

Hate winter now, snow can go F itself.

Absolutely...dealing with frozen up buildings all day here in Columbus.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

But But The online pictures show Florida is covered in Ice! :o 

For the last two years life just seems to get more and more surreal...

56 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yeah, been pretty cold and snowy since Xmas here in NE Ohio..I wouldn't mind winters in S. Florida eventually.   I'm still happy to be away from Arizona and love having the Lake Erie beaches and islands close by (in nice weather). 

I don't plan to move out of Ohio.  Unless I could move to like rural Canada or Scotland or something.  But that is never going to happen.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

With the weather we're having here lately, moving to Miami to be closer to my parents is looking very attractive. 

Cost of living and traffic suck though.  I looked at mo0ving to Miami a few years ago and just....no....

• Like 1

Cold and sunny again today in Cleveland.  Was 0F when I rolled out the rubbish bins a couple of hours ago.  About 6 inches of snow still on the ground.   Jeep grubby, need to run through the car wash soon.

IMG-4083.JPG

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

17 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Cost of living and traffic suck though.  I looked at mo0ving to Miami a few years ago and just....no....

I'd need a completely different pace of life to live there..... but I need a completely different pace of life to live here.... so 6 of one, half dozen of the other. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Cold and sunny again today in Cleveland.  Was 0F when I rolled out the rubbish bins a couple of hours ago.  About 6 inches of snow still on the ground.   Jeep grubby, need to run through the car wash soon.

Oh my car looks bad right now.. Salt and crud on the roads. I was going to run through the wash the other day but with it being so cold...1: I wasn't sure if the auto washes were open and 2: It would have bugged me having the frozen water = water spots immediately after cleaning aaaaand 3: there's still so much salt on the roads..

I should just do it anyway. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Oh my car looks bad right now.. Salt and crud on the roads. I was going to run through the wash the other day but with it being so cold...1: I wasn't sure if the auto washes were open and 2: It would have bugged me having the frozen water = water spots immediately after cleaning aaaaand 3: there's still so much salt on the roads..

I should just do it anyway. 

water spots are less bad than salt.

• Agree 1

Yeah, the cold can go away now!

Both my cars (wife's is bad) are almost white instead of silver, and my OCD to wash them is getting bad....

And my other car is trapped in the garage-as the door likes to stopping working under 20 degrees or so...

Just wish I could start it though.....it doesn't come out when there is salt on the ground. It's probably one of the rare rust free 14 year old Cavaliers.....:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'd need a completely different pace of life to live there..... but I need a completely different pace of life to live here.... so 6 of one, half dozen of the other. 

If I was going to move to a larger city NYC over Miami.