Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

39 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Anyone use a dash cam? Thinking of getting one as more and more idiots seem to be on the road and I love my road trips.

http://www.thedrive.com/gear-up/19631/owl-car-cam-review-the-dash-cam-to-go-for-if-you-give-a-hoot-about-filming-your-daily-drive

Dig this, a Hemi Powered C6 Corvette that to break records had two cylinders cut off to make a special drag racing class and now does a 201 mph 3.85 second 1/8th mile?

https://jalopnik.com/i-am-quietly-obsessed-with-this-v6-corvette-1824086703

I use one and so does @cp-the-nerd. We both have the Spytec A119. 

Yeah that's pretty much why I bought min, cheap insurance. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I use one and so does @cp-the-nerd. We both have the Spytec A119. 

Yeah that's pretty much why I bought min, cheap insurance. 

That is really intelligent. My daughter is an insurance claims adjuster....dash cams have saved a lot of her clients a lot of trouble.

36 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

image.jpeg

image.gif

Guess I have a never ending supply of Dopamine as to why I am an Atheist. Growing up in a very religious family and studying it so much, I realized that whatever advanced alien race visited this planet and started such a trend is going to have a big discussion with me if they ever really show up.

Welcome to my Come to Jesus meeting on why you Failed!

:roflmao: 

• Agree 1

If nothing else there are enough Scientists in Hell that it is air conditioned by now.

Really love the direction of Jeep...finding a lot of love for the brand lately.  Them and Cadillac.  Cadillac seems to be getting it as right as anybody, and all of their designs are really growing on me.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

That is really intelligent. My daughter is an insurance claims adjuster....dash cams have saved a lot of her clients a lot of trouble.

Yeah because most people aren't stopping who saw what happened so it's to easy to turn into a sloppy he-said she-said affair.

I got lucky with my accident that somebody stopped and said they saw everything that happened otherwise she could ave easily just said I blew the red light.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah because most people aren't stopping who saw what happened so it's to easy to turn into a sloppy he-said she-said affair.

I got lucky with my accident that somebody stopped and said they saw everything that happened otherwise she could ave easily just said I blew the red light.  

Yeah my wife's aunt and my wife's mother both were involved in accidents that involved over a million dollars worth of payouts.  A dash cam could save your home and your wages for the rest of your life.  Seriously.

image.jpeg

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Gonna have to call my insurance to see if I can get any discount for having the Dash Cam. Interesting :scratchchin:

9 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I take that baby with an EV powertrain like the Zombie 222 mustang. :metal: 

4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

[Image: L94EcoN.png]

I am really surprised that police even let auto's like this on the road. WTF, driving is a privilege, if you cannot afford to keep the auto in proper working condition, mass transit is calling your name. :wacko:

Very cool company that has conversion kits for older auto's to allow you to get an updated 5 or 6 speed transmission in your auto for better MPG.

https://shiftsst.com/general-motors?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP - NonTM | Make%2FModel&utm_term=%2BMonte %2BCarlo %2BConversion&utm_content=Monte Carlo Conversion

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I am really surprised that police even let auto's like this on the road. WTF, driving is a privilege, if you cannot afford to keep the auto in proper working condition, mass transit is calling your name. :wacko:

In the rolling Junk yards of southern Ohio I see worse on the roads.

image.jpeg

image.png

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

image.jpeg

Check out that road sign, too.  It's one "y" short of an embr(y)o.

Love all the posh sounding British names around Toronto and throughout Ontario.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

image.jpeg

Holy cow, when I lived in graduate housing for the first semester and it was quite popular with international students, the Asian students were renowned for a lot of microwave use for their ethnic cooking and the cooking odors would linger for a long time.  A long time. Damn, there was a cafeteria at the ground level with a meal plan.  How nice to have left for an ordinary apartment with none of the antics of a large housing complex, albeit very interesting and comical antics.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Holy cow, when I lived in graduate housing for the first semester and it was quite popular with international students, the Asian students were renowned for a lot of microwave use for their ethnic cooking and the cooking odors would linger for a long time.  A long time. Damn, there was a cafeteria at the ground level with a meal plan.  How nice to have left for an ordinary apartment with none of the antics of a large housing complex, albeit very interesting and comical antics.

Worst smell around is Microwaved seafood. :puke: 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Worst smell around is Microwaved seafood. :puke: 

More than one tech company I've worked at had a note next to the microwave: "no fish or other seafood".    And since in software in the West there are usually plenty of Asians, I would always smell a variety of curries in the lunchrooms...(some very good, some pungent).   

Edit: As an aside, whilst typing this post, I just realized I've never worked in the Midwest except at universities.  All 20 years of my professional career has been in Colorado, Arizona and California.   Even now living in Ohio, I'm working for my Arizona client. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

More than one tech company I've worked at had a note next to the microwave: "no fish or other seafood".    And since in software in the West there are usually plenty of Asians, I would always smell a variety of curries in the lunchrooms...(some very good, some pungent). 

Yup my company has on all Microwaves seafood with a red cross out circle over it. Lucky most comply. Indian food for the most part smells good, have not had any seafood curry that was heated up yet stink up the kitchen area, but I agree some smell good some not so.

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I would always smell a variety of curries in the lunchrooms...(some very good, some pungent).   

Edit: As an aside, whilst typing this post, I just realized I've never worked in the Midwest except at universities. 

I'll go with the Nancy Reagan motto when it comes to curries:  "just say no."  It is one flavor and scent that doesn't do it for me and I definitely like to eat.

This weekend, if my quick checking and memory serves me right, we've got two smaller Catholic universities squaring off against two bigger Midwestern universities in the Final Four.  Not a real conventional looking Final Four.

• Agree 1

Since two big debuts haven't been posted here yet, I just want to say the new Lincoln Aviator is a STUNNER.  And the Toyota RAV4 also looks great, it seems to shadow the Jeep Compass with functional and style features (with the addition of a useless hybrid model) while improving on every aspect of the Jeep.  It's even got a 4WD mode wheel like the Jeep.

I can see a lot of hard work in both of these vehicles and I predict success for both.

• Agree 1

I agree, I'm very impressed with both.  The Rav4 is the best looking Rav they have had by a long shot, enough to justify its lofty sales I guess.  My gripe is still no Android Auto. The Aviator looks good enough to possibly overcome lack of interest in the Lincoln brand.

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Since two big debuts haven't been posted here yet, I just want to say the new Lincoln Aviator is a STUNNER.  And the Toyota RAV4 also looks great, it seems to shadow the Jeep Compass with functional and style features (with the addition of a useless hybrid model) while improving on every aspect of the Jeep.  It's even got a 4WD mode wheel like the Jeep.

I can see a lot of hard work in both of these vehicles and I predict success for both.

And I deeply wish them both success.  I wish no evil on ford even though i don't like them that much...new Aviator does look good!

19 hours ago, dfelt said:

Very cool company that has conversion kits for older auto's to allow you to get an updated 5 or 6 speed transmission in your auto for better MPG.

https://shiftsst.com/general-motors?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP - NonTM | Make%2FModel&utm_term=%2BMonte %2BCarlo %2BConversion&utm_content=Monte Carlo Conversion

Have to look into this, as I'm trying to make a transmission decision for the B-59 and I'd really like OD. They say 'GM' but the bulk of applications are Chevys, of course. Not sure if the 4-spd will bolt to a BBB without an adapter.

• Agree 1

Do you read your mail coupons?  Do you have an Arby's nearby? 

I don't usually go to Arby's.  However, for a limited time, they are running 2 pitas for $6, and we're talking the shaved gyro meat, whereas the deli roast beef and deli chicken (neither very authentically Mediterranean) run all year long.  It looks like I might be having some Arby's for dinner a time or two during the next month or so.  I've had this special before and it's good ... it's quite a bit of chow.

Arby's is my lunch guilty pleasure, since there is one about 1/4 mile from home--I can dart out, grab something and get back quickly between my India team call at 11:30 and my Scottsdale team call at 12...I go there probably once a week for lunch, sometimes twice a week if I feel uninspired.   I do avoid the curly fries, though...I like the sliders and turnovers. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

26 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Do you read your mail coupons?  Do you have an Arby's nearby? 

I don't usually go to Arby's.  However, for a limited time, they are running 2 pitas for $6, and we're talking the shaved gyro meat, whereas the deli roast beef and deli chicken (neither very authentically Mediterranean) run all year long.  It looks like I might be having some Arby's for dinner a time or two during the next month or so.  I've had this special before and it's good ... it's quite a bit of chow.

:puke: Sorry but last time I tried them I had their Philly and ended up with Food Poisoning. The Arby's around me seem to be run poorly and the health department is constantly hitting them for improper sanitation. I question if any will still be open by the end of the year. PASS

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

:puke: Sorry but last time I tried them I had their Philly and ended up with Food Poisoning. The Arby's around me seem to be run poorly and the health department is constantly hitting them for improper sanitation. I question if any will still be open by the end of the year. PASS

It can be weird.  I have eaten fried chicken at KFC three times in my life, the last of which was in my late twenties.  I have gotten sick each and every time while the others in the party did not.  It was soda crackers, ginger ale, a major headache, and throwing up for the next 12 hours.  I am probably allergic to a seasoning or something in the batter.  I do not get sick when I've eaten fried chicken (which I don't really like all that much) elsewhere.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• I basically never set foot in fast food places (McD/ BK/ W) but I'm in love with the TB Crunchwrap Supreme.

• Tesla's stock 52-week high was $390/share. Today it's $257. IMO, it should be somewhere between Ford & GM (but closer to Ford).

• I thought I was run down/ beat before, then I got my new driver's license photo this morning.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I don't eat fast food all that much, but I do eat it.  Lately, I've been happening onto Subway coupons en masse.  I will eat there.

As for chains, there is El Pollo Loco based in the West and it is a Mexican grilled chicken type place that I wish was more ubiquitous in the U.S.  It's actually good.

Also, no more than once a month, I may pop into a Village Inn, Baker's Square, or equivalent because of the free pie slice Wednesday if you order something else.  The pie flavors rotate, but they've got some tasty ones at times.  In FL, you can often count on Key Lime pie as a choice.

I try to avoid fast food, but ate Taco Bell last night and felt like Crap.

Honestly, could give up sex and become a Buddhist monk if they had good Asian food inside of the monastery...not quite but...darn I like good Asian food, and good Greek...and Indian...and love good Italian...love a good piece of veal.

Ughhh...my daughter is dealing with a nasty accident...Not one one of the cars...but another adjuster still dealing with the aftermath of this below-

https://www.copart.com/lot/50495037/

She has written off almost a quarter million dollars with of cars in the last three weeks with the last snap of bad weather.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is from a little while back....more recent...

Edited by A Horse With No Name

image.jpeg

People in the Malibu were much more lucky, still rear ended by a semi.  VERY impressed at how the passenger cabin of the Malibu held up.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

https://www.copart.com/lot/29658938/

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

https://youtu.be/OqEHaQ1RbME

About a minute into the video a convertible comes into view....thinking 36 Ford Cabriolet, but cannot be sure. Balthazar?

Tough with the low rez. Hood louvers aren't right for period Ford, but does appear to have 'horn ports'.
Briefly looked at period Ford, Chev, Plym, Ddg, Hudson, nash- no matches.

I had the volume off, but MAN that must be a trippy movie when on LSD! I'm sure whatever the soundtrack was, I would've peeled my own skin off. Was listening to Down over it. ;)

• Agree 1

On 3/28/2018 at 9:53 AM, balthazar said:

Have to look into this, as I'm trying to make a transmission decision for the B-59 and I'd really like OD. They say 'GM' but the bulk of applications are Chevys, of course. Not sure if the 4-spd will bolt to a BBB without an adapter.

Upon investigation, I'm not sure. Site / installation manual points to it being for Chevys, but saw a Hot Rod article where they bolted one behind a 340 Plymouth. Still think I need to go with a 4L80E.

• Agree 1

That is really disheartening.  I think about stuff like that from time to time.  Tonight, I was coming home and had a green through a fairly major intersection.  I noticed that a car on the other major perpendicular street was heading into the red light on that street a little too quickly, so I slowed down ... a lot.  As it turns out, that person did stop, but PAST the crosswalk, and they were seemingly too eager to make that right turn onto the street I was using.  Drive defensively.

The worst I've seen was a multi-car accident while driving from the Seattle area to the Portland area on I-5 on a Friday night after work.  This was about 20 miles past any metropolitan area and while traversing the forested countryside.  All the traffic in both directions was crawling for half an hour to an hour up to the scene. The vehicles were all sedans, IIRC.  There were no tangible expanses of metal to be seen anywhere.  They all looked like they had been shredded.  All sorts of emergency response vehicles were at the scene.  It was gross to look at and you don't want to imagine how it played out.  You just collect yourself and keep driving, as safely as you can.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Upon investigation, I'm not sure. Site / installation manual points to it being for Chevys, but saw a Hot Rod article where they bolted one behind a 340 Plymouth. Still think I need to go with a 4L80E.

I would agree.

To anyone who celebrates it, Happy Easter.

Brunch buffet or dinner buffet?  They read me the list of items at each and the dinner buffet wins!  I need to put my tongue back in my mouth.

I'll be doing a dinner buffet at Stancato's in Parma on Sunday. 

Turkey and gravy

sage stuffing

mashed potatoes

honey glazed ham

portobello mushroom ravioli in tomato basil lobster creme sauce

baked lemon herb cod

creamed spinach florintine

meatballs

veggies

chicken marsala

lots of pastas to chose from

etc