Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

There are some real characters riding public transit trains.  And they often seem to talk to me.  Why so? I look somewhat conservative. 

It just happened on a train ride some 30 minutes ago.  Mostly, it's funny but, at times, it can be annoying.

At least you'll always have good stories to tell...😀

25 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Mother Nature, you twisted bitch.  Friday and yesterday were in the 80's, with beautiful sunshine.  Today?  44 degrees, windy as heck and drizzling all day.  :nono:

Got ice here....can't even change my flat tire right now.

Threw some air in it....we will see....

• Haha 1

Rain rain rain and more rain here this weekend.   Was 70s-80s Thurs and Friday.  My backyard is partially flooded.   Been watching the Indy Car race from Long Beach (a race I went to for years when I lived out West).    Raine is hogging the couch. 

IMG-4411.JPG

IMG-4410.JPG

• Haha 2

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Rain rain rain and more rain here this weekend.   Was 70s-80s Thurs and Friday.  My backyard is partially flooded.   Been watching the Indy Car race from Long Beach (a race I went to for years when I lived out West).    Raine is hogging the couch. 

IMG-4411.JPG

IMG-4410.JPG

Looks like my back yard as well.....looks like I own a pond at the moment......

I'm glad I spread lime on my yard yesterday.  I'm thinking about getting one of those torches for burning thatch out.  Can anyone say if the $60 would be worth it?  It seems like a good way to de-thatch, as it will make room for new grass, and the ash should help fertilize the yard.

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

IMG-4411.JPG

IMG-4410.JPG

Check out those hip roofed brick ranches out back!  Those sorts of houses can be seen here and there around Seattle and Portland, and they have always caught my attention because they look much more "eastern" for the setting.

I was expecting a small dog.  Cute.  That looks like at least 30 pounds worth of dog!

Edited by trinacriabob

9 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Check out those brick ranches out back!  Those sorts of houses were seen here and there around Seattle and Portland, and they have always caught my attention because they look much more "eastern" for the setting.

I was expecting a small dog.  Cute.  That looks like at least 30 pounds worth of dog!

Everything in my subdivision is mid 60s vintage brick ranches and split levels....the Cleveland area definitely feels more northeast than midwest to me. 

She's actually only about 12lbs...but long....not sure what she is, I think maybe an Australian Terrier/Daushund mix...

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_4035.JPG

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I'm glad I spread lime on my yard yesterday.  I'm thinking about getting one of those torches for burning thatch out.  Can anyone say if the $60 would be worth it?  It seems like a good way to de-thatch, as it will make room for new grass, and the ash should help fertilize the yard.

Tough to say, but I think so! 

At least you still have grass, thinking mine might be under water at the rate it is raining here.....

• Agree 1

^ lol..that would be terrifying...makes me think of Steven King. 

Speaking of dead cars, this house down the street from me has a Lincoln Mark VII LSC that I haven't seen move since I've lived here.   They have an '85-86 Mustang in the garage also.   The house to the left of them has a Honda S2000 in the garage, seen it out a few times. 

IMG-4419.JPG

• Agree 2

My shop area in 2012. All are gone now: '65 (R) only left it's frame behind, got a guy coming to buy that within the next few weeks. Same guy bought the '64 (M) and another guy just spoke for all the parts for the '60 (L).

I find multiple tiny dogs more frightening than quiet, non-pooping vintage iron. ;)

D-MC shop 2012.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

^ lol..that would be terrifying...makes me think of Steven King. 

Speaking of dead cars, this house down the street from me has a Lincoln Mark VII LSC that I haven't seen move since I've lived here.   They have an '85-86 Mustang in the garage also.   The house to the left of them has a Honda S2000 in the garage, seen it out a few times. 

IMG-4419.JPG

I think Steven King is really the only well known alum of the University of Maine (main Orono campus).

What makes the area look more northeastern is the presence of evergreens.  Going east along I-90 toward New York state and New England, there will be even more of them.

1 minute ago, trinacriabob said:

I think Steven King is really the only well known alum of the University of Maine (main Orono campus).

What makes the area look more northeastern is the presence of evergreens.  Going east along I-90 toward New York state and New England, there will be even more of them.

Yep...and what is funny is evergreens are such a staple of Colorado.  But because of more moisture back here, they get bigger and fuller.    the evergreens on the family farm south of here are huge....my folks planted a bunch about 40 years ago in the front yard, and they are huge today... 

DSC00197-vi.jpg

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I find multiple tiny dogs more frightening than quiet, non-pooping vintage iron. ;)

Heh-heh...they aren't that bad..the biggest is 16 lbs, the littles are only 6lbs each... 

IMG-4424.JPG

IMG-4422.JPG

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

That is one thing cats are better at.. 

Train them to lift the seat, do their business and flush and I am all set to have dogs again. Grew up with 3 black labs and 1 chocolate lab and a mutt that was my sisters dog. Love the dogs over cats, but have decided I like my road trips and travel over dealing with dogs, cleanup and boarding.

Cute babies, especially the one giving you a razzberry! 😛

• Agree 2

Cars Buyers cannot wait to dump! Worst Purchase ever based on a review of the "iSeeCars.com web site looking at Vins that were relisted between 4 months and 1 year at auto dealers. According to the story, new cars that had fewer than 4000 miles which usually is program auto's at dealerships was excluded from this, looking at true auto's bought new and then traded in.

FORBES 11 auto's buyers cannot wait to dump!

Seems these auto's are the most common bought and then dumped in the first year. 

• #11 - Nissan Versa
  • #10 - Subaru WRX
  • #9 - Chrysler 200
  • #8 - Mercedes-Benz E-Class
  • #7 - BMW 4 Series
  • #6 - BMW X3
  • #5 - Dodge Dart
  • #4 - Nissan Versa Note
  • #3 - Mercedes-Benz C-Class
  • #2 - BMW 5 series
  • #1 - BMW 3 Series

Amazing that 8% of the #1 auto are traded back in within the first year of ownership and on average all these auto's take a 20% hit in value.

OUCH! 😵

18 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My folks had Dobermans, German Shepherds and Miniature Schnauzers when I was a kid.  Grew up with dogs, but it wasn't until I moved to Az a decade ago and hanging out w my sister that I got into adoptions, volunteering w a local rescue and small terriers.  I love terriers, esp Westies, Aussies and Yorkies.   Small dogs with huge personalities.   My public persona may be a bad azz  MOFO software engineer, but I'm a big softie when it comes to terriers...

IMG-4149.JPG

I LOVE Yorkies! They're so tiny and cute! 

We just had our regular vet visit for yearly shots and to pick up her heartworm meds and shes a healthy 5.5lbs. lol 

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Cars Buyers cannot wait to dump! Worst Purchase ever based on a review of the "iSeeCars.com web site looking at Vins that were relisted between 4 months and 1 year at auto dealers. According to the story, new cars that had fewer than 4000 miles which usually is program auto's at dealerships was excluded from this, looking at true auto's bought new and then traded in.

FORBES 11 auto's buyers cannot wait to dump!

Seems these auto's are the most common bought and then dumped in the first year. 

• #11 - Nissan Versa
  • #10 - Subaru WRX
  • #9 - Chrysler 200
  • #8 - Mercedes-Benz E-Class
  • #7 - BMW 4 Series
  • #6 - BMW X3
  • #5 - Dodge Dart
  • #4 - Nissan Versa Note
  • #3 - Mercedes-Benz C-Class
  • #2 - BMW 5 series
  • #1 - BMW 3 Series

Amazing that 8% of the #1 auto are traded back in within the first year of ownership and on average all these auto's take a 20% hit in value.

OUCH! 😵

All of those BMW and Mercedes are difficult to believe.. I could see maybe 1 or 2 but 4 BMWs and 2 Mercedes, both of which are probably of their best sellers for their respective brands... 🤔

Could those be dealer service vehicles? Registered to the dealer then relisted months later? 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

RE the Germans Twins; I strongly suspect that brand cache is masking a LOT of dissatisfaction and brand rejection. IE; they get a steady influx of new buyers that learn via experience they aren't. all. that. especially for the money/upkeep/depreciation costs.

I agree but upkeep and depreciation costs wouldn't factor in to returning the vehicle this quickly, just the upfront costs.

19 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My folks had Dobermans, German Shepherds and Miniature Schnauzers when I was a kid.  Grew up with dogs, but it wasn't until I moved to Az a decade ago and hanging out w my sister that I got into adoptions, volunteering w a local rescue and small terriers.  I love terriers, esp Westies, Aussies and Yorkies.   Small dogs with huge personalities.  

That's interesting ... Dobermans and German Shepherds .... at the same time?  If so, I wonder how they interacted.  And how they interacted with a Miniature Schnauzer ...

I've only had one dog and it was an Australian Shepherd ... in my teens and twenties.  A grammar school friend's family had two of them in their back yard and I decided that was the kind of dog I'd push for.  Ours was a female and about 35 pounds.  Males typically weigh about 50 to 65 pounds.  I think 30 to 40 pounds is the ideal size for a dog.  I held her on the ride home for over 30 minutes from the people's house where we purchased her, so I'm the person she bonded with. Australian Shepherds are consistently ranked at the top for intelligence and she definitely delivered on that.  I now feel I will compare every possible dog option to that dog.  My soft spot for Australian Shepherds and Border Collies continues.

They have now engineered "minis" of these two breeds.  It's starting to get sort of weird.  Many popular and more recent breeds have been engineered, so to speak.

Just now, trinacriabob said:

That's interesting ... Dobermans and German Shepherds .... at the same time?  If so, I wonder how they interacted.  And how they interacted with a Miniature Schnauzer ...

I've only had one dog and it was an Australian Shepherd ... in my teens and twenties.  A grammar school friend's family had two of them in their back yard and I decided that was the kind of dog I'd push for.  Ours was a female and about 35 pounds.  Males typically weigh about 50 to 65 pounds.  I think 30 to 40 pounds is the ideal size for a dog.  I held her on the ride home for over 30 minutes from the people's house where we purchased her, so I'm the person she bonded with. Australian Shepherds are consistently ranked at the top for intelligence and she definitely delivered on that.  I now feel I will compare every possible dog option to that dog.  My soft spot for Australian Shepherds and Border Collies continues.

They have now engineered "minis" of these two breeds.  It's starting to get sort of weird.  Many popular and more recent breeds have been engineered, so to speak.

IIRC, they had the Dobermans and Schnauzers at the same time...from before I was born up until I was about 6.   They got along well IIRC...from about the time I was 7 or so, we had German Shepherds...later after I went off to college, my folks had Australian Shepherds and Australian Cattle Dogs.   

Besides Yorkies, I'm pretty fond of Australian Terriers (similar to a Silky) and West Highland White Terriers (Westies).     

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

All of those BMW and Mercedes are difficult to believe.. I could see maybe 1 or 2 but 4 BMWs and 2 Mercedes, both of which are probably of their best sellers for their respective brands... 🤔

Could those be dealer service vehicles? Registered to the dealer then relisted months later? 

According to the story as I stated, they took out the loaner vehicles and registered to the dealers to go with true VIN registered sales. After all it is based on a true percentage and those BMW and MB auto's do not sell as many as other auto companies. So the percentage is higher for a smaller pool than say those that bought a Toyota, Chevy etc.

If you followed the link, you will see each % for each auto that is actually traded back in and while the #1 auto was 8%, the rest were between 3 to 7%. Still small amount but I figure the registration is what it is to the whole pool sold and in the case of say the E-Class, if you did it for global sales not just US, it would not even be on the list considering how many E-Class are sold globally. US market is just so much smaller.

7 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Having had big and small dogs, they always got along fine, never had a problem. I think most dogs get along fine no matter the size unless the dog is not very socialized and as such tends to be a problem dog. More uncommon than common.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

My dad got an Aussie last year and it's a male right around 55lbs. Boy-o-boy does that dog have energy! I'll definitely agree that he is incredibly smart. He's almost a pain in the ass at times because hes so smart for a dog lol. 

43 minutes ago, dfelt said:

According to the story as I stated, they took out the loaner vehicles and registered to the dealers to go with true VIN registered sales. After all it is based on a true percentage and those BMW and MB auto's do not sell as many as other auto companies. So the percentage is higher for a smaller pool than say those that bought a Toyota, Chevy etc.

If you followed the link, you will see each % for each auto that is actually traded back in and while the #1 auto was 8%, the rest were between 3 to 7%. Still small amount but I figure the registration is what it is to the whole pool sold and in the case of say the E-Class, if you did it for global sales not just US, it would not even be on the list considering how many E-Class are sold globally. US market is just so much smaller.

Yeah I started to read some of it but I had to get back to work so I couldn't read much of it. 

Thanks for the info though! 

• Agree 1

It was really weird to learn about yesterday's Southwest flight 1380 (NY-La Guardia to Dallas - Love Field) that made an emergency landing at PHL when it lost one engine and after my being on a Southwest Boeing 737 flight about 1 hour earlier yesterday and sitting by the window.  I try to sit by a window almost all the time.

A couple of men apparently had to pull the one passenger, who later died, back into the cabin.  She was at a window that had shattered by the engine's failure.  It's sad that the lady passed away, but it sounded like she was in serious condition after such rapid decompression.  It's also amazing how some people rise to the call of duty when there's a tragedy and try to help out. 

The photos of the engine and how charred it was are eye opening.  Passengers said that the plane operated satisfactorily after the loss of the engine and that the pilot did a great job of bringing the plane to the tarmac safely.

9 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yeah, weird and sad...I fly Southwest a lot, always sit at a window seat, though rarely near the wing and engine. 

Based on my Brother in law who works in propulsion at Boeing, the safest place to sit is on the wings as an engine explosion always will hit the back 1/3rd of the plane.

Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II

uniroyal_tigerpawawpii_ww_36327_vary_jpgE&bids=530787.130000090&type=2&subid=0

Or

Toyo Extensa A/S

toyo_extensaas_bw_61401_vary_jpg_s3_resiE&bids=530787.190001016&type=2&subid=0

Or

Hankook Optimo H724

I am mostly looking for ride quality, the treadlife warranty doesn't do much for me, my tires are worn out due to dry rot rather than treadlife.

Also, for those in the know... apparently I can also use 225/70R15s instead of 205/75R15s. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing so?

@Drew Dowdell The 75 is a wider tire than the 70, if this is for the Olds, then it would not matter as you are not performance driving where the wider tire would help. Quietness on the road is a true personal experience and as such, not sure which one would be best as they are all solid tires, Review the customer posts for road noise. That is what I would do and decide on that feedback.

Cars are out. Crossovers are in.

Amazing times we live in when you see pretty much no cars and only CUV/SUVs in the parking lots. Also tells you the current state of cars in comparison to CUV/SUVs.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

@Drew Dowdell The 75 is a wider tire than the 70, if this is for the Olds, then it would not matter as you are not performance driving where the wider tire would help. Quietness on the road is a true personal experience and as such, not sure which one would be best as they are all solid tires, Review the customer posts for road noise. That is what I would do and decide on that feedback.

I'm leaning towards the Uniroyals. Aside from handling performance, which clearly isn't a priority, is there any benefit/or disadvantage for the difference widths?  I like to take the Olds on long distance trips. It will go to NYC and DC each, at least once this year.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm leaning towards the Uniroyals. Aside from handling performance, which clearly isn't a priority, is there any benefit/or disadvantage for the difference widths?  I like to take the Olds on long distance trips. It will go to NYC and DC each, at least once this year.

Sorry Drew, @ccap41 was right about the side ratio, I mixed my numbers, first is the width of the tire, second number the sidewall ratio, so the 75 is higher than the 70. In respect the lower profile tire, or the 70 would transmit more road noise. Long road trips, you might like the quieter 75 tire.

Personally, I'd go with the 225/70 for looks more than anything else. But a wider contact patch has never hurt anything, god forbid, there is an emergency evasive maneuver. The 225/70 is also a slightly taller tire overall. Theoretically it will also gear the car a little taller..