Random Thoughts Thread

7 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

portobello mushroom ravioli in tomato basil lobster creme sauce

baked lemon herb cod

creamed spinach florintine

I looked at the ad.

The Beef Positano and Italian wedding soup (stracciatella) also sound good.

Reasonable price, too!

Stancato means tired in Italian, IIRC.  And you will be stancato after a meal like that, tryptophan and all ...

Generally speaking, I try to limit myself to 2 buffet type meals in any given month.  I always need a nap after one.

Yeah, it's one of my go-to local Italian places.   Also went to their clam bake last fall and Thanksgiving brunch.   Very tasty food.  Their pasta sauces are available in the local groceries also.  

• Agree 1

On 3/28/2018 at 11:04 AM, frogger said:

Wow so many new autos at NY this year... Apparently with standard AWD in Canada...

image.thumb.png.8fa64d86922de0924f937f0283b5304c.pngimage.thumb.png.26a59fe8755dd48a3f91ff57e9e53d26.png

Sorry but the door handle placement made me think of this and now I cannot unsee it...

9299145_orig.jpg

• Haha 3

Though it's not as bad as the weird trend of mixing normal front door handles with odd rear door handles, IMO...that I really don't like..the first 4dr Pathfinder in the 80s was the first I recall doing that, several cars and CUVs do it today..just seems like being different for the sake of being different... 

I love those '70s Continentals...

1972_lincoln_continental-pic-5630729481902251135-640x480.jpeg

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I am looking forward to the 180 degree return to more notchback styling in sedans and the better visibility that goes along with it.

You have some advance intel you'd like to share? ;)
- - - - -
California, Sequoia, circa 1910 ~

a-giant-sequoia-log-sequoia-national-park-california-c1910.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

- - - - -
California, Sequoia, circa 1910

Only the "school of hard knocks" in that things seem to come 180 ... flat fronts are now normal in dress pants, with pleats gone and, for a while, I saw some rendition of shag carpeting in newer model homes in California, though the fad didn't last long.

Yes, that sawed off Sequoia does look very notchback like!  I was saddened that the famous California redwood one could drive through is no longer.

I actually set foot in church tonight, after over 5 years, so that I wouldn't have to go on Easter Sunday.  Regarding the NCAA tourney, I took off from where I was having a gyro to go to church and Loyola was leading Michigan and I hoped they'd pull through.  They didn't.  Then, when I came home late, because they ALSO served food after the service, I learned that Villanova had won.  At this point, I want Michigan to win.  Could you imagine all the new suits Jay Wright would buy with the ensuing avalanche if Nova Nation were to win?  Go Blue.  Meh ... it has always been my favorite Big 10 (it's still 10 to me) school.

17 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Only the "school of hard knocks" in that things seem to come 180 ... flat fronts are now normal in dress pants, with pleats gone and, for a while, I saw some rendition of shag carpeting in newer model homes in California, though the fad didn't last long.

Yes, that sawed off Sequoia does look very notchback like!  I was saddened that the famous California redwood one could drive through is no longer.

I actually set foot in church tonight, after over 5 years, so that I wouldn't have to go on Easter Sunday.  Regarding the NCAA tourney, I took off from where I was having a gyro to go to church and Loyola was leading Michigan and I hoped they'd pull through.  They didn't.  Then, when I came home late, because they ALSO served food after the service, I learned that Villanova had won.  At this point, I want Michigan to win.  Could you imagine all the new suits Jay Wright would buy with the ensuing avalanche if Nova Nation were to win?  Go Blue.  Meh ... it has always been my favorite Big 10 (it's still 10 to me) school.

Can't say I am not excited....Go Blue!!!!!

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Can't say I am not excited....Go Blue!!!!!

I don't follow college basketball much, but am a fan of the U of M since I went there for grad school.  It's weird, my high school, college, and grad school all have the same colors--blue and gold/yellow (or maize as they call it at the U of M). 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I don't follow college basketball much, but am a fan of the U of M since I went there for grad school.  It's weird, my high school, college, and grad school all have the same colors--blue and gold/yellow (or maize as they call it at the U of M). 

I don't follow it either until it gets down to the end.  Don't have the desire to sit in front of the boob tube with a bunch of grunting beer drinking ex-frat types or "pick up truck alumni" (term I learned while living in the South) commenting on the goings-on for months prior to the slimming down of the schedule.  I have a similar joke:  Wanted into UVa for grad school and didn't get in, but got into U of I (IL).  Either way, I ended up with the same school colors - blue and orange.  The two schools couldn't be more different, though!

• Agree 2

On 3/30/2018 at 3:36 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'll be doing a dinner buffet at Stancato's in Parma on Sunday. 

Turkey and gravy

sage stuffing

mashed potatoes

honey glazed ham

portobello mushroom ravioli in tomato basil lobster creme sauce

baked lemon herb cod

creamed spinach florintine

meatballs

veggies

chicken marsala

lots of pastas to chose from

etc

https://www.stancatos.com/easter-ad/

Columbus has a lot of good places to eat but I am rapidly discovering Cleveland holds its own in the food scene.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:32 PM, balthazar said:

- - - - -

Amazing how much of America was originally built with hand tools.

On 3/31/2018 at 8:06 AM, trinacriabob said:

I am looking forward to the 180 degree return to more notchback styling in sedans and the better visibility that goes along with it.

It'd be nice but reduced drag of the current body styles make that a difficult thing to hope for.. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It'd be nice but reduced drag of the current body styles make that a difficult thing to hope for.. 

If pickups can get away with notchback rooflines because of their oversized open trunks, sedans can also.. ;)   Maybe the solution is to put trunk lids on pickups and call them sedans. 

It is funny if you think about it, the most popular trucks of today essentially are high riding full size V8 4dr sedans with big trunks.   

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Right, they squeeze the nickel real tight, so to speak ...

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

If pickups can get away with notchback rooflines because of their oversized open trunks, sedans can also.. ;)   Maybe the solution is to put trunk lids on pickups and call them sedans. 

Right, and it's interesting how vehicles like the Suburban and the Tahoe have gotten more angular with the latest refresh, rather than more rounded, which is more suggestive of cheating the wind.

16 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Right, and it's interesting how vehicles like the Suburban and the Tahoe have gotten more angular with the latest refresh, rather than more rounded, which is more suggestive of cheating the wind.

They also do some trick things these days with active grill shudders, super low air dams, tiny spoilers(look at the shapes of the tailgates) to get air off of the vehicle more smoothly.

• Agree 1

https://thisiswoodworking.com/blog/festool-truck-makeover/

image.jpeg

Neat old truck used to merchandise product inside my local woodworking store, Wood Werks. "the Festruk"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I saw this posted on another forum--new GMC pickups with '73-87 style step side beds...apparently a dealer somewhere is building them, for shipment to Dubai.   Kinda neat..

1_opt.jpg.b0bec83e27702220c5a65eb5bac7e8f1-2.jpg

3_opt.jpg.0ae14bc8874e7cb2da367a0394ef8a18.jpg

attachment_opt.jpg.0e372ae7495500861101d382b32aa7bf.jpg

I saw that as well. It's so close to being awesome but the cab and bed just look TOO different. It looks like 2 completely different generations(because they are) but there's no effort to blend them. 

Bumper looks a bit wide for that bed.
Agree that it's neat (tho I've never cared for 'fenderside' beds on pickups past the mid 50s); these along with the retro 'Big 10' types a few dealers are building really show just how colossal the market for trucks has become.

Ever have an offer for a fantastic job that you would love to do, but the money just isn't there for you to be able to accept?  Yeah, that's where I am right now.

I realize there is something to be said for job satisfaction, but I still gotta pay my bills in the meantime. 

Anyway, I've held out so far, not turning them down but telling them that the money isn't there and I would be giving up too many benefits to make a move.  They want to meet next week to offer me a 3rd time. 

Edit: and the job title... oh the job title.  I covet that as much as anything else with associated with the job. 

• Agree 1

I have a former coworker who has the title Chief Awesome Officer at a major software company.   

I've never been much into titles, my current one is nominally Java Consultant/Technical Lead.   I've been w/ my client in Scottsdale for over 3 1/2 years..at times it's really boring, but there is no overtime, I have a good bill rate and benefits, and I work from home 100%.   Can't complain too much. 

• Agree 3

58 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Ever have an offer for a fantastic job that you would love to do, but the money just isn't there for you to be able to accept?  Yeah, that's where I am right now.

I realize there is something to be said for job satisfaction, but I still gotta pay my bills in the meantime. 

Anyway, I've held out so far, not turning them down but telling them that the money isn't there and I would be giving up too many benefits to make a move.  They want to meet next week to offer me a 3rd time. 

Edit: and the job title... oh the job title.  I covet that as much as anything else with associated with the job. 

Good luck and good vibes coming your way from Columbus from me.

On 3/31/2018 at 6:32 PM, balthazar said:

What a shame to kill such a beautiful tree and one that was hiding away so much Greenhouse gas.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:49 AM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I saw this posted on another forum--new GMC pickups with '73-87 style step side beds...apparently a dealer somewhere is building them, for shipment to Dubai.   Kinda neat..

1_opt.jpg.b0bec83e27702220c5a65eb5bac7e8f1-2.jpg

3_opt.jpg.0ae14bc8874e7cb2da367a0394ef8a18.jpg

attachment_opt.jpg.0e372ae7495500861101d382b32aa7bf.jpg

:puke: If it was an old truck restored, very cool, but this is just a patch work of puke who ever thought it was good. I just do not get it.

6 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I have a former coworker who has the title Chief Awesome Officer at a major software company.   

I've never been much into titles, my current one is nominally Java Consultant/Technical Lead.   I've been w/ my client in Scottsdale for over 3 1/2 years..at times it's really boring, but there is no overtime, I have a good bill rate and benefits, and I work from home 100%.   Can't complain too much. 

Working from home would be cool....I enjoyed it at my last job before I got laid off and bounced back into retail again for a while. Wonder what it would be like to do it more often I wonder...

I have a buddy who gets to do his mortgage work in PJs some days....8)

I've been doing it full time since moving back here last year.  For my type of work, it works.  I have a fast internet connection.  And a 2-3 hr time difference w most of my colleagues.   One to two conference calls a day, an occasional WebEx. Most of my career, I've been in a cubicle or open office plan.   I've found that I work very well alone, more focused.  Instead of business casual, I'm pretty casual.  Sweats and a hoodie usually.  

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I work from other people's homes. ;)
Was in this one today, just went onto the market, $1.6M :

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 10.43.10 PM.png

Oh yeah...

This one I HAVE to get rid of.  One of my 150 ft. yachts  that is docked at...um...Hon..Hong k...Hono...Honolulu...yes...Honolulu needs a new...um...tillermajig and my money is all tide up in stocks and bonds and stuff and well,  to make a long story short, the folk that rent this place from me, well, they are a nuisance so I decided to cut them loose,  so the house is up for sale. 

If you think this is a nice house, you should see the one I have at the Hamptons...

• Agree 2

Some of the trimwork was really shoddily finished, multiple times. In my book there's no excuse for so much Wrong. She asked for a quick fix but I can't work that way. Will have to meet up with her next week, work thru the language barrier and explain- it'd take a week to do it right / in accordance to the house's asking price. I think she thinks it's like a couple hour's time. If that's the case, I'm going to have to politely refuse. But this tier of homeowner doesn't care anymore for their house than someone in a (well-cared for) house that's worth $100K. Just like cars; people fool themselves.

• Agree 1

Yeah, but if she was buying that house, she would notice everything and demand a price concession.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-z06-corvette/6535747828.html

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Yeah, but if she was buying that house, she would notice everything and demand a price concession.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-z06-corvette/6535747828.html

Yes. Yes.

This is my little red Corvette. I used to race it all the time at the...races. Took it to France one year. I registered it at that 24 hour one. I raced it for...24 hours. 

Yup, I won...gold. 8)

I just traded it for the new Vette. The ZX-1. You know. The new new one. The top of the line fast one. I am planning to race cross country with it.  You know, the race that a certain Burt Reynold's raced with a...Trans Am and won....

Yeah! Im one cool cookie! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yes. Yes.

This is my little red Corvette. I used to race it all the time at the...races. Took it to France one year. I registered it at that 24 hour one. I raced it for...24 hours. 

Yup, I won...gold. 8)

I just traded it for the new Vette. The ZX-1. You know. The new new one. The top of the line fast one. I am planning to race cross country with it.  You know, the race that a certain Burt Reynold's raced with a...Trans Am and won....

Yeah! Im one cool cookie! 

Since I am in favor of ending the war on drugs I am quite happy to see that Montreal has indeed allowed hallucinogens...I would spring you some but you seem to have found quite the supply.

(Ducks from wrench thrown my way...)  (Thankfully Canadians can't aim a wrench any better than they can aim a hockey puck....watches wrench go through neighbor's garage door window)

Have a good day my friend!

Chris

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Since I am in favor of ending the war on drugs I am quite happy to see that Montreal has indeed allowed hallucinogens...I would spring you some but you seem to have found quite the supply.

(Ducks from wrench thrown my way...)  (Thankfully Canadians can't aim a wrench any better than they can aim a hockey puck....watches wrench go through neighbor's garage door window)

Have a good day my friend!

Chris

Not quite legal just yet.  (But all this is naturelle for me. Dont need the drugs to feel good or to...um...hallucinate.  Chocolate milk. Chocolate milk does wonders for my body, mind and soul.) 

Those words about us Canadians not being able to aim hockey pucks...

Thems words are fightin' words.   (I originally wanted to right that as Dems words are...but I was afraid Blu would downvote my post just because it contained the word Dem....as in Democr...OK...OK...Ill leave it alone) 

But Ill let you go as your women beat our women for gold at this year's Olympics and the Canadian men, well...I dont really remember what they did...did they actually play for the bronze medal let alone win it???  I honestly do not remember. Dont feel like googling that information either. 

Edited by oldshurst442