Random Thoughts Thread

31 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Let's hope they stay true to the roots and keep it a RWD SUV rather than a FWD CUV based. If they do that I think it will still sell but loose some off road creds for a FWD/AWD CUV.

It's already common knowledge the Bronco will be based on the Ranger, so it will be RWD/BOF.  

Now the baby Bronco (rumored to be Bronco Scout) will be FWD CUV since it's based on the Escape. 

• Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

In other news, seems a number of key states have officially fallen into a recession from mid-west to east coast. 

Pennsylvania alone shed 8,000 manufacturing jobs this year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-09-09/a-manufacturing-recession-could-cost-trump-a-second-term

Seems a wide diverse group of manufactures from auto company suppliers to farm equipment manifactures are in contraction.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

^ A number of manufacturers have seen contractions, not their state. Business is cyclical for a wide range of reasons, it has always been this way.
Buick sold 737K in '55 and 404K in '57. In the same period, Plymouth sold 401K and 762K.

And by '58, the country was in a recession. In your example, a luxury make drops significantly while a budget brand goes up. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

And by '58, the country was in a recession. In your example, a luxury make drops significantly while a budget brand goes up. 

True, but the recession didn't hit until ‘58. And while things improved for ‘59-60, Buick still went lower than ‘57 in those 2 years. Point was: “a wide range of factors” contributes to business health. Looking at a single business as support for a national health is disingenuous, even if that singular example supports the national trend.

18 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The clutter around that desk gives me anxiety. 

Yeah, I'm definitely not a clean-desk type of worker...I have no fear of clutter. 

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

True, but the recession didn't hit until ‘58. And while things improved for ‘59-60, Buick still went lower than ‘57 in those 2 years. Point was: “a wide range of factors” contributes to business health. Looking at a single business as support for a national health is disingenuous, even if that singular example supports the national trend.

That's data from over 60 years ago, though...how is relevant to today?   The job market and the nature of the economy is very different today.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

My desk isn't spotless but I can't let it get cluttered with useless stuff like THE PREVIOUS DAY(S) CALENDAR DATES! 

Sometimes I get busy and get behind a week or so on the calendar.   When the weather is nice, I tend to not work at that desk and instead sit out on the patio most of the day w/ my laptop. 

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2518.HEIC

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 9/9/2019 at 7:01 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

I will loose my Ford hater card for posting this, but i am interested in the Bronco when it comes out. I think it will be an interesting little buggy.... 

depends on what you want....the cost of cars seems to have gone up really substantially. 

I actually find it attractive. 

I’m excited to see it as well.....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Built on bus bodies and road terribly according to reports.

More of a publicity stunt than an actual train, but cool looking none the less. 

• Agree 1

There is a guy that for 13yrs has been tuning regular auto's to sound like F1 race cars. 

While cool skill, not really sure I am a fan of a high pitch sound on a big block motor.

https://jalopnik.com/meet-the-quiet-japanese-tuner-who-makes-your-old-merced-1831320490 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Wasnt it a functional concept; or was it put into production?

The Aerotrain? There were a few demonstrators built. And several of the railways tried them out for extended runs. 

From Wikipedia:

It utilized the experimental EMD LWT12 power car (U.S. Patent D177,814), coupled to a set of modified GM Truck & Coach Division 40-seat intercity highway bus bodies (U.S. Patent D179,006). The cars each rode on two axles with an air suspension system, which was intended to give a smooth ride, but had the opposite effect.

GM-Aerotrain-2.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Someone took out a light pole w/ a Mustang LX 5.0 and fled the scene a couple streets over from me this evening...

E903A5C8-1C83-4179-A42D-9699CC458E1B.jpeg

Stolen then?

Sad when a nice auto gets munched.

• Agree 1