Random Thoughts Thread

On 10/3/2019 at 2:55 PM, dfelt said:

Japanese Classic Car show 2019 in California, 6th year and some damn fine Iron! :metal:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/japanese-classic-car-show-2019/ar-AAHQ33V?page=6#image=AAHQcYh|1

On 10/3/2019 at 2:55 PM, dfelt said:

Japanese Classic Car show 2019 in California, 6th year and some damn fine Iron! :metal:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/japanese-classic-car-show-2019/ar-AAHQ33V?page=6#image=AAHQcYh|1

Love the Datsun trucks...my grandfather had a white 74, and his buddy had a white 76. Great trucks......

• Like 1

With 2019 drawing to a close, 2020 will soon be here.  And that means the big auto show in the spring.  I'm wondering if we will finally get to see the new 2021 Dodge Charger at that time.  I hope so.  

• Agree 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:02 AM, balthazar said:

IMO, a miata should be $15K brand new, so I'd vote no way on dumping $40K into one.

Except free market economics, they are selling them at 33k new, no price on car love...lots of people dump far more cash into cars than they are worth.

On 10/6/2019 at 12:27 PM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 10.52.06 AM.png

I love this body style Ford, This is the exact car I wanted as a kid...thanks for posting this up, seriously made my day.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:48 AM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 12.30.27 AM.png

One more way to have OCN walk around with a woodie...wood be perfect for him...

Thoughts on above video...?

• Agree 1

^ People think too much and assume too much. When prices in general on classics take a marked downturn, only then, perhaps, is future interest waning. My eyes were opened w my recent posting that ‘57 Chevys have sold as high as $380K; that could drop by 50% and the segment would still be totally secure.

’Petrol’ isn't going away because; plastics. #1.

I don’t get the ‘doom & gloomers’ continually predicting a tremendous & imminent overturn to electrics. Do they not, ever, look at sales data??

No way in hell was that a current shot of London swirling in pollution. Mist; I could believe. How ridiculous- am I still supposed to take the video seriously with that falsehood in there?

• Agree 2

On 10/7/2019 at 12:48 AM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 12.30.27 AM.png

"Ran when parked"

So some of you know I'm driving my FiL's Cruze from time to time.  I took it on a trip to Virginia today and it's not a bad car for long distance cruising.  It's the base LS with a 1.8 liter, but it still cruised at 75 - 85mph and returned 34 mpg

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ People think too much and assume too much. When prices in general on classics take a marked downturn, only then, perhaps, is future interest waning. My eyes were opened w my recent posting that ‘57 Chevys have sold as high as $380K; that could drop by 50% and the segment would still be totally secure.

’Petrol’ isn't going away because; plastics. #1.

I don’t get the ‘doom & gloomers’ continually predicting a tremendous & imminent overturn to electrics. Do they not, ever, look at sales data??

No way in hell was that a current shot of London swirling in pollution. Mist; I could believe. How ridiculous- am I still supposed to take the video seriously with that falsehood in there?

It basically comes down to the lack of free thought. There are many sheep out there! I have no issue or bone to pick with EV, actually, I welcome them as another cool choice. But I still want choice, want my ICE, and my classics. I saw a 1985 Cavalier RS Vert yesterday, and thought it’s old boxy shape stood nicely in a sea of boring. Makes me want to hunt my first car down and drive around in another 1st gen Cav again. 🙂 Still love my classics, but the first gen Cav will always have a place in my heart. And even though she still sound better than the drone of an EV......

• Agree 1

I don't mind hybrids done right.... like the Lincoln Aviator. It's really hard to argue with the amount of power that thing puts out and yet still can run in all electric mode up to some speed.  But it is also designed to be an isolation machine, taking away as much noise and outside harshness as possible. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't mind hybrids done right.... like the Lincoln Aviator. It's really hard to argue with the amount of power that thing puts out and yet still can run in all electric mode up to some speed.  But it is also designed to be an isolation machine, taking away as much noise and outside harshness as possible. 

Thinking hybrids would be a better push than full EV right now....

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 12.46.50 AM.png

I am one of the few huge fans of this bodystyle...but have loved them since I was a kid.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:01 AM, Robert Hall said:

This image reminds me of the '68 full size Buick Wildcat front and rear ends.. 

My mothers great aunt had a 68 wildcat she bought new...it almost became my first car back in 82. In was in immaculate shape. Almost 40 years later I still miss it.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Me also- I had a '57 F-250 for a while.

Lucky guy.....I remember quite a few of these on the road back in the early 1970's. 

^ There's a similar model in the Lancaster railroad/steam museum but I don't think they were running it. But in looking at it up close, it has quite small drivers and gearing... I can totally believe 15 MPH. IIRC, they were used in commercial ventures where greater traction was beneficial (steeper grades). Really neat design tho.

23 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ There's a similar model in the Lancaster railroad/steam museum but I don't think they were running it. But in looking at it up close, it has quite small drivers and gearing... I can totally believe 15 MPH. IIRC, they were used in commercial ventures where greater traction was beneficial (steeper grades). Really neat design tho.

It's a type of locomotive called the Shay.  There are other geared designs called Heisler, and Climax, both different in engine configuration.

Shay - Inline 3 cylinder.
Heisler - V2
Climax - Parallel 2-cylinder

There is one railroad left that still operates all three types, the Cass Scenic in West Virginia.

If you love the sound of steam like I do, put your headphones on for this one. This place is on my bucket list.

• Agree 2

Per the phone call from my dealer's service guy, apparently my wife's '16 Malibu is under a recall to replace the.... engine pistons.

Gotta say, tho the dealer has an excellent service department, taking a motor completely apart to that level makes me nervous (tho they said they've done some of these rebuilds already).

Of course, the GM strike has currently put a halt on parts availability.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Per the phone call from my dealer's service guy, apparently my wife's '16 Malibu is under a recall to replace the.... engine pistons.

Gotta say, tho the dealer has an excellent service department, taking a motor completely apart to that level makes me nervous (tho they said they've done some of these rebuilds already).

Of course, the GM strike has currently put a halt on parts availability.

Any reason given as to why the pistons have to be replaced? At least the rings will be tight.

• Agree 1

I wonder if it's related to this story on a law firm website..2016-17 Cruze and Malibu w/ the 1.5

https://www.valerolaw.com/news/2018/10/18/2017-chevrolet-cruze-piston-problems

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Any reason given as to why the pistons have to be replaced? At least the rings will be tight.

Rings are tight now (40K). Will look into this further; Robert's link says dealers are doing 'software' repairs.
- - - - -
Presented without comment (other that this <)

IMG_0813.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Crazy how much Mazda advertising is on this last few weeks and this one Forbes quote is always part of it. Clearly going after a higher perspective, though not sure how high that can be since I consider the two mentioned auto's to be a toyota/Chevrolet like cars.

20191017_061930.jpg

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Closed on the sale of my last rental property today.  I'm officially no longer a landlord after 15 years of doing it. 🎉

I'll get back in the business some day... but I need a rest and reset for now. The nice fat check in my bank account sure helps the cause. 

Congratulations, always a nice feeling of unloading a rental property and then assessing your options.

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I know, but I have other priorities in the meantime. 

I am sure you can find a CPO or a new sitting around in the late winter, early spring.