Random Thoughts Thread

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You make it sound like they didn't already pay for the service up front... 

While annoying, I get it. They paid for that. Why pay two times for charging?

Because it isn't in the spirit of what Supercharging is about... and the typical increase in household electrical cost is $30 - $40 a month.

I don't know what your hourly rate is, but spending an 4 - 6 hours a month charging at a supercharger just to avoid a $40 increase in my electrical bill is not a good use of my time. Heck, double it.... it's not enough to avoid $80 a month increase.  I've paid $40 just to avoid the 30 minutes it takes me to do my lawn. Tesla owners are richer than I am. 

The Supercharger network is there to facilitate long distance driving in your Telsa. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Because it isn't in the spirit of what Supercharging is about... and the typical increase in household electrical cost is $30 - $40 a month.

I don't know what your hourly rate is, but spending an 4 - 6 hours a month charging at a supercharger just to avoid a $40 increase in my electrical bill is not a good use of my time. Heck, double it.... it's not enough to avoid $80 a month increase.  I've paid $40 just to avoid the 30 minutes it takes me to do my lawn. Tesla owners are richer than I am. 

The Supercharger network is there to facilitate long distance driving in your Telsa. 

"Isn't in the spirit" sounds like a way to just be grumpy about it. 

It's there. It's paid for. There is no reason not to use them, as long as it's still convenient to the user. Once it isn't convenient, I see no point in it. 

It doesn't really matter when it costs at home. If Tesla didn't package their supercharger network into the price of their cars...I would get it more. 

It is there to facilitate long distance traveling but all of the ones you see Teslas hoarded around are ones "around town". 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You don't know why they are in the area. They could be perfectly convenient for them to charge up 45 minutes while eating or shopping. 

And that's fine.  But I'm talking about the people who hog up superchargers to avoid charging at home.  It's a documented problem that Telsa has actually taken steps to mitigate. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

"Isn't in the spirit" sounds like a way to just be grumpy about it. 

It's there. It's paid for. There is no reason not to use them, as long as it's still convenient to the user. Once it isn't convenient, I see no point in it. 

It doesn't really matter when it costs at home. If Tesla didn't package their supercharger network into the price of their cars...I would get it more. 

It is there to facilitate long distance traveling but all of the ones you see Teslas hoarded around are ones "around town". 

Have you ever heard the expression "time is money". I believe that is what Drew is getting at while you accuse him of being "grumpy".

Edit: Disregard as I just saw that Drew covered the "time is money" aspect. Carry on lol. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1

Just now, surreal1272 said:

Have you ever heard the expression "time is money". I believe that is what Drew is getting at while you accuse him of being "grumpy".

I work a full time job and I also do consulting for private clients.  I know what my hourly rate is and I keep that in mind for tasks that I don't like doing. I even keep it in mind for laying on the couch doing nothing, as relaxation has a value to me also. The savings has got to be a lot higher than $10 an hour for me to go out of my way to Supercharge for free. 

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I work a full time job and I also do consulting for private clients.  I know what my hourly rate is and I keep that in mind for tasks that I don't like doing. I even keep it in mind for laying on the couch doing nothing, as relaxation has a value to me also. The savings has got to be a lot higher than $10 an hour for me to go out of my way to Supercharge for free. 

I understand and can relate to that 100%.

22 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I've tried this one out already. BMW lent me one for a day (it's nice to know people).  I picked this one because it is a 1,200, but it is under 500 lbs, so it can go on a Mototote to let me drag it down to Florida without having to get a trailer. It's basically the most powerful bike under 500 lbs that I can find... plus, I love the way it looks.  I'm not a big fan of V-twins. I took an Indian out for a day and I just don't like the lumpiness of it. 

One of the smoothest I found was the Honda CB1100 EX, but it's over the 500lbs limit. 

edit: I also have gorilla arms, so I can do a really long reach 

:worthless:

36 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Time absolutely is money. Ive dedicated some thought to this, and a few of the things I do as standard practice is: I drive my vehicle down to empty, and fuel it to the brim. I also never count coin change when I buy something for cash. Less time spent worrying/doing those things. 

I hate coin change...so I try and avoid using cash whenever possible...but I still end up w/ a lot of change in my cupholders and center console bin..   I drive down to 1/8th tank then fill up when home in the burbs, on road trips I'll let it get down to half a tank if it's an unfamiliar area..

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Those are just the public charging points. Most people charge up at home (except the Tesla Supercharger leaches). 

While true, it might be tough for those who live in condos and apartments. In my case I have a 240 in the garage ready to go for my future EV. 🙂 

But charging at home will be nice, though I get the feeling we will get punished in electric rates since the big cheeses won’t be getting their gas tax cut........

2 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

While true, it might be tough for those who live in condos and apartments. In my case I have a 240 in the garage ready to go for my future EV. 🙂 

But charging at home will be nice, though I get the feeling we will get punished in electric rates since the big cheeses won’t be getting their gas tax cut........

They'll get you on the vehicle registration side of things rather than your electric rates. 

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They'll get you on the vehicle registration side of things rather than your electric rates. 

This is so true of the states that follow California CARB. They are figuring in an equal gas tax fee to your yearly auto registration.

Washington state for EVs adds a $150.00 fee onto your auto registration and $75 on top of Hybrids.

The off set to this as some said this is higher than what ICE only auto's pay in gas tax over a 10yr life is that we have no sales tax on EVs and reduced on Hybrid.

https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/altfuelexemptions.html

On August 1, 2019, the sales and use tax exemption was reinstated for the sales of:

• vehicles powered by a clean alternative fuel
  • certain plug-in hybrids

The exemption applies to dealer and private sales of new, used, and leased vehicles sold on or after August 1, 2019.

• New vehicle transactions must not exceed $45,000 in price or lease payments.
  • Used vehicles transactions must not exceed $30,000 in price or lease payments.

These price thresholds include both the cost of the vehicle and the value of your trade-in, if applicable.

For example: If the cost of a new vehicle is $48,000, and the value of your trade-in is worth $6,000, you can't receive the tax exemption. Even though the trade-in brought the cost down to $42,000, the new vehicle was still worth over the $45,000 limit. You cannot use a trade-in to lower the price of a vehicle to meet the exemption limits.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Styling is very subjective, what brand is this hideous design?

1934ish Chrysler Airflow, I believe.   The Airflows were a bold move stylistically, helped usher in streamlined designs amidst the early 30s bricks.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

You haven't seen the infamous Chrysler Airflow before? Controversial design but extremely well engineered.

WOW, No I had not ever seen this or hear about it, thanks for the video. Still ugly to me, but WOW, that is AMAZING engineering. Love it! :metal:

Love the off the cliff test and the Suicide doors still work! :D 

was getting oil change today on the chrysler, and they had a loaded gladiator in the showroom.  cool truck, a bit tight inside for my liking but size wise fine for small to mid size truck.  I didn't like climbing up and in to it.  Which of course is ok as an off road machine but as a daily driver I think something with easier ingress and egress and more cabin room would be nice.  Really like the split top and i actually would find the truck bed large enough to be useful (haul the snowblower for example).

C5D13420-66D1-4A40-8BC6-ABBAF4ACB8EE.jpeg

F1A7DDF8-300B-4455-A5AD-09E878128600.jpeg

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 4

Speaking of the Gladiator, got a fold out Gladiator mini-brochure (top edge shaped like a mountain range) in the mail along w/ a card from my CDJR dealer inviting me in to test drive the Gladiator...

unnamed-8.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm really wanting hard to like the Gladiator... but not for the price. 

It will be interesting to see what they go for 2-3 years down the line as CPOs or otherwise used. But at the new price point I wouldn't take one over a GC or Ram 1500... I don't need a truck currently, and the novelty of the removable top would wear off probably.  I would like to test drive one, though. 

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It will be interesting to see what they go for 2-3 years down the line as CPOs or otherwise used. But at the new price point I wouldn't take one over a GC or Ram 1500... I don't need a truck currently, and the novelty of the removable top would wear off probably.  I would like to test drive one, though. 

I've driven one.. They're a bit bouncy like the Wrangler is. 

That gladiator brochure is HILARIOUS; 2 bicycles and they DO NOT FIT in the bed. Can you imagine being an engineer at Jeep, you make this truck w/ bed vehicle, then you automatically have to engineer all sorts of racks & fitments to hold items ABOVE said bed. 😆

Might as well just have a Gladiator flatbed with a plethora of tie down rings & Jeep-branded straps - it would hold more things.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2

I’m used to seeing bicycles hauled on top of vehicles on roof racks or on hitch mounted racks at the rear, would be weird to see them *in* a truck bed.  With them raised like that there is room for other content under them. 

I just measured a mountain bike in my garage; 69" long. Gladiator bed length : 60". Hilariously sad.

Flatbed option. 20 tie-down rings. Jeep-branded straps. Lock-in mini stake sides. Lock-down storage bins. Minimal lift-over, maximum reach. Pull-out bike ramp. Ultimate configuration options.

You're welcome, FCA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Pretty much what I was thinking. I love the truck-but the price is just steep!

I feel you could fool around with the four door Jeep and toss stuff into that for much less. Well, minus the tailgate.....

On 9/7/2019 at 4:31 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Right. But leasing if you do that sort of thing is set up cheap on these right now. 

On 9/7/2019 at 4:51 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I've driven one.. They're a bit bouncy like the Wrangler is. 

I had a feeling that was the case. 

2 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Right. But leasing if you do that sort of thing is set up cheap on these right now. 

I had a feeling that was the case. 

I'm buying the next two, I want to be able to take them on the long trips I do without worrying about lease mileage. We already do 14k a year on the Buick and that hasn't even been to FL yet. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm buying the next two, I want to be able to take them on the long trips I do without worrying about lease mileage. We already do 14k a year on the Buick and that hasn't even been to FL yet. 

Totally agree, I know a coworker who took advantage of the cheap lease deals and got a really nice Jeep GC lease at 15K a year for miles and he is half way through his 3rd year, loves his jeep but is at 54K miles already as he loves driving and camping. Clearly buying would have been better than leasing. He is going to buy the jeep at the end of the lease and is hoping to not get dinged for the miles. 

Since I have never leased, not sure how it works out when you have high miles but want to buy it then.

Any idea?

5 minutes ago, regfootball said:

whoa.  did i miss out on the info on this, SPARK ACTIV.  Now we are even trying to make Sparks look like CUV's.

image.pngimage.png

Yea, sharp looking update for the little bugger, but clearly quality problems. As I posted in the August 2019 Auto spotted thread, had a new one with no plates yet in front of me and they braked, left side came on before right side and cyclops center light and the cyclops light only half the LED came on and then the other did.

Wife asked me if that was supposed to do that and I said no. braking lights having electrical gremlins makes me wonder about the whole auto. Not a good sign that they are reliable.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Yea, sharp looking update for the little bugger, but clearly quality problems. As I posted in the August 2019 Auto spotted thread, had a new one with no plates yet in front of me and they braked, left side came on before right side and cyclops center light and the cyclops light only half the LED came on and then the other did.

Wife asked me if that was supposed to do that and I said no. braking lights having electrical gremlins makes me wonder about the whole auto. Not a good sign that they are reliable.

No reason to buy a Spark when an Encore will do better and be better too for your dollar.

• Agree 3

On 9/4/2019 at 11:19 PM, balthazar said:

Man, does HomeAdvisor give some shitty, erroneous information.
"light fixture work : $150 - $750"
"wiring a house : $550 - $750."

Look at that for a half second.

You can't come close to the cost of materials to wire a house to code for that....even in Ohio, which has less bureaucracy than New Jersey you will have that much in a permit, building inspection, and gas driving to the job site. 

9 hours ago, dfelt said:

Totally agree, I know a coworker who took advantage of the cheap lease deals and got a really nice Jeep GC lease at 15K a year for miles and he is half way through his 3rd year, loves his jeep but is at 54K miles already as he loves driving and camping. Clearly buying would have been better than leasing. He is going to buy the jeep at the end of the lease and is hoping to not get dinged for the miles. 

Since I have never leased, not sure how it works out when you have high miles but want to buy it then.

Any idea?

If you go over 100k you may have a problem getting a loan from some banks.  My bank will not write a loan on anything over 100k, and gives a serious ding to higher miles if you refinance. 

Given the low cost of financing a new car,  you are better off buying it outright and getting the 2.9 percent or whatever....because if you are  buying it out of lease you will be paying used car finance rates, which are seemingly almost always much higher. 

8 hours ago, regfootball said:

whoa.  did i miss out on the info on this, SPARK ACTIV.  Now we are even trying to make Sparks look like CUV's.

image.pngimage.png

Not bad, but not terribly appealing either. 

On 9/7/2019 at 5:44 PM, Robert Hall said:

I will loose my Ford hater card for posting this, but i am interested in the Bronco when it comes out. I think it will be an interesting little buggy.... 

On 9/7/2019 at 11:08 PM, riviera74 said:

Or you can buy a real pickup truck with a standard or long bed.

depends on what you want....the cost of cars seems to have gone up really substantially. 

On 9/7/2019 at 9:10 AM, dfelt said:

WOW, No I had not ever seen this or hear about it, thanks for the video. Still ugly to me, but WOW, that is AMAZING engineering. Love it! :metal:

Love the off the cliff test and the Suicide doors still work! :D 

I actually find it attractive. 

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I will loose my Ford hater card for posting this, but i am interested in the Bronco when it comes out. I think it will be an interesting little buggy.... 

Let's hope they stay true to the roots and keep it a RWD SUV rather than a FWD CUV based. If they do that I think it will still sell but loose some off road creds for a FWD/AWD CUV.

• Agree 1