Random Thoughts Thread

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 2.32.15 AM.png

My mom had a friend back in the day (who was an elderly woman who wore cat glasses) who drove one of these.  Who can forget that grille?  What the heck was this?  The light bulb has not yet gone on.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

We are supposed to hit 80 today and all weekend long. WTF, this is supposed to be spring showers. :( 

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say.  For some reason, I'll never forget reading about it from far away - I was not living there at the time - when metro Seattle had an absurd heat wave and the mercury hit 114 F one day, if not more than one day ...  I forgot which year that was.

16 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I understand the quarantine, but things were going so well for me on so many levels before all of this hit. Ready to get on with life. 

Agreed. I had quite a few things going on that I was excited about...even looking forward to working on my cars/project car. I’m just hoping this will be but a break, and back into the fold I go....

The work I had planned for my Cav sadly won’t happen, as partly due to funds (conserving cash) and saving our dog Bella, and the fact I won’t be able to have friends give me a hand.....

But considering everything going on, I can’t really complain- Blessed to have my family and health.......

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

?????

Thanks for pointing out my sausage fingered typing. LOL :P Fixed it.

13 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

96253311_3018642201491927_8251181368789172224_o.jpg

Yup a dead long gone oil company.

FYI - Rockefeller family trust divested of all oil stocks in 2016 as they are focused on cleaner environmentally better ways of living life.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rockefeller-family-is-exiting-the-oil-business/

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dfelt said:

sausage fingered typing

Except... that's an extra letter, and the R is nowhere near the O or the V on a keyboard... what type of sausage is that?  If you advocate lockdown until 2021 (a convenient time), then spell the name of the virus wrong, it kind of deflates your argument.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

96253311_3018642201491927_8251181368789172224_o.jpg

Standard Oil became the likes of Amoco, Mobil, Exxon and a whole host of companies after the enforced breakup of 1911.  Monopolies have rarely if ever been good for consumers.  BTW, Amoco inherited that sign.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Except... that's an extra letter, and the R is nowhere near the O or the V on a keyboard... what type of sausage is that?  If you advocate lockdown until 2021 (a convenient time), then spell the name of the virus wrong, it kind of deflates your argument.

Guess you have one of the standard  qwerty keyboards compared to the various other types that most computer engineers use. Such as a Dvorak or Maltron Keyboard. Maltron, very common in my line of works has the OR next to each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Dvorak Just in case you want to see all the various layout types.

Maltron Keyboard

File:KB Maltron 3D US.svg

Dvorak Keybaord

image.png

Industry most common keyboard, QWERTY

image.png

Interesting...not familiar w/ Maltron.  I've tried a Dvorak keyboard years ago.  Though 36 years after learning to type, I'm very comfortable w/ QUERTY.      I kind of like the mechanical clicky QUERTYs, have tried some of them before.

This looks pretty interesting, a typewriter style mechanical keyboard..

https://www.qwerkywriter.com

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Interesting...not familiar w/ Maltron.  I've tried a Dvorak keyboard years ago.  Though 36 years after learning to type, I'm very comfortable w/ QUERTY.      I kind of like the mechanical clicky QUERTYs, have tried some of them before.

This looks pretty interesting, a typewriter style mechanical keyboard..

https://www.qwerkywriter.com

I will say that it was weird when I started using it as I had to retrain my self from QWERTY. I could never see any benefit to Dvorak. But for what I do, the Maltron makes allot of sense.

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

155 HP gross.

And, after they put a catalytic converter behind it, didn't it go down to about 105 hp?

From what I recall, inline 6s were very smooth, especially compared to a V6 or a 4.  The thing is that, for some reason, their exhaust note sounded very different than that of a V8, even if we're talking about a larger displacement inline 6 and a smaller displacement V8 of the same year(s). 

32 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

And, after they put a catalytic converter behind it, didn't it go down to about 105 hp?

From what I recall, inline 6s were very smooth, especially compared to a V6 or a 4.  The thing is that, for some reason, their exhaust note sounded very different than that of a V8, even if we're talking about a larger displacement inline 6 and a smaller displacement V8 of the same year(s). 

with a Cat, it would also need unleaded fuel, which lowered compression, and typically some RPM. iff 155 was at 5Krpm and the new hp was at 4250rpm, even at the lower compression could reduce it decently.

edit(just this line)also depends on carb/injection setup

isn't exhaust note very determined by back pressure, pulse speed, muffler, exhaust diameter and things like if x/h or straight pipes....?

Edited by loki
thought added
  • Agree 1

Compression ratios were generally lowered to handle unleaded in '71, yes.
The 250 CI I6 never had a high enough CR to warrant lowering, however. The issue was that in concert with lowering CR's in '71, OEMs also switched to net power ratings. I doubt the 250 saw much in the way of spec changes until the early '70s (other than the above aforementioned).

• Agree 1

- - - - -
Bored, so I looked it up.
'75 250 with a 1bbl carb (8.25:1) was rated at 105 HP @ 3800 / 185 TRQ @ 1200.
In '79 (the last year in a Chevy car) (8.0:1) it was 115 @ 3800 / 200 @ 1600.

By comparison, in '63 the 230 CI I6  (8.5:1) was rated at 140 HP @ 4400 / 220 TRQ @ 1600
But remember that's gross power ratings.

Edited by balthazar

1952 International R110.  International produced light duty trucks from 1907-1975.  International Harvester was based in Chicago, Il, a U.S. state in the midwestern area of the country.

95690132_10212819151953492_3760145083400192_o.jpg

12 hours ago, loki said:

with a Cat, it would also need unleaded fuel, which lowered compression, and typically some RPM. iff 155 was at 5Krpm and the new hp was at 4250rpm, even at the lower compression could reduce it decently.

edit(just this line)also depends on carb/injection setup

isn't exhaust note very determined by back pressure, pulse speed, muffler, exhaust diameter and things like if x/h or straight pipes....?

Both the pre-cat and post-cat engines had the same fuel delivery, with this engine (4.1 L6) continuing to have a 1 bbl. carburetor.  Of course, electronic ignition was added, but that's a peripheral topic.

Your last sentence brings up a lot of good points ... and questions.  The one I've brought up before (yawn) is why, back in the day, the Olds 260 V8 had a quieter exhaust note than the Olds 350 V8 it was based on and "debored" from. Not only that, its 2 bbl. carb., with larger ports, was always in operation compared to the 4 bbl. carb. of the 350 V8 that ran with 2 smaller ports (barrels), until more throttle caused the extra 2 ports, with much larger diameters, to kick in.  On two otherwise identical cars with either of these engines, the muffler and exhaust set-up was seemingly the same, so I'm thinking it was some of the other variables. 

God, I miss those GM small block V8 engines.

• Agree 1

Happy Mother's Day to the Moms in your lives ... and even to the Moms who are C&G members - we've had some on the forum.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

These are kind of reading like interstellar transmissions of U.S. history....

I wanted to be sure all of our commenters understand the posts.  I found out that so many things I take for granted as common knowledge, especially among self-proclaimed "car ppl", are anything "but".  I am trying to improve my communication skills with ppl who need guidance in this area.  Thank you for reading, earthling.  :smilewide:

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

A boy

???

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

???

Balthy's photo from ancient times, looks like a child boy with a strange hat and things in his ears...could be a girl I guess.

I wanted to be sure all of our commenters understand the posts.  I found out that so many things I take for granted as common knowledge, especially among self-proclaimed "car ppl", are anything "but".  I am trying to improve my communication skills with ppl who need guidance in this area.  Thank you for reading, earthling.  :smilewide:

Interesting...reality is complex, there are many things though that can be assumed, esp. for a largely English-reading audience.   I'd assume most resource units reading these forums have some interest and knowledge in motor vehicles. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd assume most resource units reading these forums have some interest and knowledge in motor vehicles. 

So... you're from France?  Did you have a six pack of beer and fiberglass insulation for dinner?  :smilewide:

• Haha 1

So... you're from France?  Did you have a six pack of beer and fiberglass insulation for dinner?  :smilewide:

No, but I am watching a French crime drama this evening..with Gerard Depardaieu, and he’s driving a ‘72 Chevy pickup. 

• Agree 1